Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2015, 19:11   #31
BHPian

Re: Zuluk from the back seat

I am speechless to the write up of the Travelogue by BHPian cr4nkshaft !! Apt quotation used for apt situations which compliment each other. But, what I appreciate is the way you recall them with your presence of mind and put them in the travelogue making it that much more special for the readers. Hats off to you mate !!

BlackPearl - Thanks for sharing the details of the Permit obtaining procedures and the resentment from the Taxi Unions which may play a part. It will definitely help people to plan well and as you said keep a Plan B handy just in case if one is not as lucky as you guys were. Also some good snaps from you and Prasenjit creates that urge in one to travel and hit the winding roads of the Silk Route of Sikkim. A special mention of your Bolero which just stands out of the crowd and specially those mud soaked alloys which turned Golden Brown look simply ravishing on the Bolero. Cheers !!

As I have said before, you are an inspiration a lot of people in the East or rather PAN India when it comes to travelling in the Hills. Keep travelling and may such travelogues inspire more and more people to travel to such untouched places with pristine beauty.

I would like to ask out of inquisitiveness that considering the fact that the local taxis are Alto(s) and non 4WD Bolero(s), can any hatch/ sedan make it to Zuluk and surroundings ?

Thanks for the Posting this Thread
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 22:40   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post

I would like to ask out of inquisitiveness that considering the fact that the local taxis are Alto(s) and non 4WD Bolero(s), can any hatch/ sedan make it to Zuluk and surroundings ?
My opinion is that any hatch can make it to zuluk and kupup, as the short wheelbase will give them advantage. A stiff suspension and short overhang should help. Even sedans, given they're not too low slung or rashly driven can make it. The pain part is rongpo to rongli, not rongli till zuluk and kupup.
cr4nkshaft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 23:14   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouraC View Post
Requesting you to share more pictures as this part of Sikkim is truly beautiful.
Posting the pics taken by Prasenjit with his due permission as he is not a member yet though he has tried several times. Here is his blog on the Zuluk road trip http://www.weandtheroads.com/

Zuluk from the back seat-dsc_0048.jpg

Zuluk from the back seat-dscf5022.jpg

Zuluk from the back seat-dscf5027.jpg

Zuluk from the back seat-dscf5032.jpg

Zuluk from the back seat-dscf5084.jpg

Zuluk from the back seat-dscf5111.jpg

Zuluk from the back seat-dscf5313.jpg

Zuluk from the back seat-dscf5330.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
BlackPearl - Thanks for sharing the details of the Permit obtaining procedures and the resentment from the Taxi Unions which may play a part. It will definitely help people to plan well and as you said keep a Plan B handy just in case if one is not as lucky as you guys were. Also some good snaps from you and Prasenjit creates that urge in one to travel and hit the winding roads of the Silk Route of Sikkim. A special mention of your Bolero which just stands out of the crowd and specially those mud soaked alloys which turned Golden Brown look simply ravishing on the Bolero. Cheers !!

As I have said before, you are an inspiration a lot of people in the East or rather PAN India when it comes to travelling in the Hills. Keep travelling and may such travelogues inspire more and more people to travel to such untouched places with pristine beauty.

Thanks a lot Arav for those nice words, I am truly elated
As cr4nkshaft has said, hatchbacks and sedans can easily make it to Zuluk and beyond if it is not snowing. The roads after Rongli are excellent. Rangpo to Rongli is the pain area, but there is another route through Kalimpong Sillery Pedong Reshi Aritar to Rongli which is in a much better shape, but the distance is a bit more. Here is the map -

Name:  kalimpongrongli.png
Views: 2303
Size:  335.6 KB

Last edited by BlackPearl : 13th October 2015 at 23:41.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 23:25   #34
BHPian

You are a wordsmith cr4nkshaft - lucid and witty narration, very well complemented with excellent pictures.

Loved every bit of it.
subirdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 01:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

A very well written travelogue @cr4nkshaft. However, could not rate it at 5-star because its already there, so my promise is, the next horror story that you write, I will rate it at 5-stars unconditionally.

About this circuit, we had the misfortune of covering this in 2011, fresh after the massive jolt that rocked and displaced rocks in Sikkim. Although this area was least affected, most roads had become discontinuous for civilian traffic. So post Zuluk, to Nathula and Changu, we were the only civilians (infact at Chhangu/Tsamgo we were the only humans). An ambience so undescribable that I could not gather courage to write a travelogue on it.

Besides, our trip was awfully short on the cool quotient, as we were travelling with my family (Parents, Sister, Wife, kid - nothing to write home about).

However on personal front this was a fantastic trip. Will share some pics (This was about this time of the year in 2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
Also, from Thambi view point one gets a view of Kanchenjunga peak on a clear day, which we also missed out.
The big peak, however shot against a much unimpressive automobile

Zuluk from the back seat-img_37281.jpg

Quote:
The Bolero a few kilometers after the baba mandir.
This was near the bunker of Harbhajan Singh.

Zuluk from the back seat-img_37631.jpg

Quote:
EcoSport on the Silk Route.
A view of the Silk route

Zuluk from the back seat-dsc071981.jpg

This was probably shot near the cafe 13 thousand

Zuluk from the back seat-img_3799.jpg

And the road near Nathula, rockslides everywhere

Zuluk from the back seat-img_38341.jpg

Unfortunately we have lost pics of the Young husbands route.

Not sure if it was due to the earthquake or something, but we found very little resistance from the authorities at that time.

Your travelogue made me relive that phase.

Thanks!
1100D is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 20:34   #36
BHPian

Superb! Superb! Superb! It is a lovely travelogue and just like others said already, you have a magic pen. But what impressed me the most is Prasenjit's photography. The crown jewel of the awesome travelogue is the picture of the Zuluk loops from the top by Prasenjit.

But above all, what I feel is the best thing about this trip and the travelogue are the characters - 4 capable drivers, fantastic photographers, a lovely cook like Rajshri (I had the honor of tasting her culinary marvels), such wonderful and hospitable hosts, an entertainer like Raju Chetri and a poetic penman for the narration! So, the story cooked really well and hence I rated it 5*!

Last edited by psurelia : 15th October 2015 at 20:36.
psurelia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 02:19   #37
Team-BHP Support

Found a few more pictures from Abhijit's camera. Sharing them as he is also not a team-bhp member -

Zuluk from the back seat-dsc_0191.jpg

Zuluk from the back seat-dsc_0199.jpg

Nathang Valley:
Zuluk from the back seat-dsc_0231.jpg

Zuluk from the back seat-dsc_0241.jpg

Zuluk from the back seat-dsc_0296.jpg

Zuluk from the back seat-dsc_0297.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 03:35   #38
BHPian

I can't explain how lost I was while reading your travelogue that I missed a con-call that I was suppose to attend Outlook kept buzzing the reminder but I did not hear it at all. Awesome stuff guys, the write-up is such that one feels traveling along with you.
k.sumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 04:14   #39
BHPian

Beautiful report. Well written and awesome pictures.

One of the best things about this travelogue is that you have people in your pictures. A journey, a holiday, a outing such as this is all about people and their emotions. Happy, smiling faces and your travelogue is enriched all the more because of them. A vista is all the more wonderful with the look on a person's face.

Happy travels!
thewhiteknight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 20:31   #40
BHPian

Your first travelogue was a pleasure to read with lucid storytelling and beautiful pics. Glad to see fellow Bhpians as well as non Bhpians went together and enjoyed thoroughly. I bet the himalayan bug has bit you now and the red polo will find its way to the mountains soon. Keep up all the good work !
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 15:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
As cr4nkshaft has said, hatchbacks and sedans can easily make it to Zuluk and beyond if it is not snowing. The roads after Rongli are excellent. Rangpo to Rongli is the pain area, but there is another route through Kalimpong Sillery Pedong Reshi Aritar to Rongli which is in a much better shape, but the distance is a bit more. Here is the map -

Attachment 1426946
Where is the place to take permit if one takes the Kalimpong route - is it Pedong?
Old 4th May 2016, 16:23   #42
BHPian

Mesmerizing is the word cr4nkshaft !!! You definitely have a way with words Felt as if I was visiting the places myself.

On a separate note, if you guys are around New Town, do give me a ping. I stay there now( back from Bangalore). Hope you guys plan similar trips soon as my trusty Beat is also back with me- if you see a green Beat with KA number plates- that's me
Old 4th May 2016, 16:23   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Where is the place to take permit if one takes the Kalimpong route - is it Pedong?
The permit has to be taken at Rongli even if you take the Kalimpong route. The other place that you get the permit is at Gangtok.
Old 10th May 2016, 15:26   #44
BHPian

People. Spoke to a homestay guy today who says private vehicles aren't allowed after Rongli. Can someone clarify?
Old 10th May 2016, 15:53   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
People. Spoke to a homestay guy today who says private vehicles aren't allowed after Rongli. Can someone clarify?
Wrong information. Private vehicles are allowed except when there has been heavy snowfall and it's not safe.

Most Viewed