Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2016, 16:20   #46
BHPian

@gearhead_mait. Great to know. Planning soon. Will PM you with my number for direction. Thanks a ton.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 15:09   #47
BHPian

Re: Zuluk from the back seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
People. Spoke to a homestay guy today who says private vehicles aren't allowed after Rongli. Can someone clarify?
Private vehicles are allowed throughout the entire silk route and for that matter entire Sikkim but, there is a but. After doing the silk route four times, this is what I have deduced.
For Silk route through Rongli, only high ground clearance(gc) cars are given permit for the entire route and one can exit via Gangtok. All small cars and low gc cars are given permits till Longthu, Nathang valley. Even during snowfall permits are available for 4x4s as long as you can show them snow chains and a shovel.
For Gurudongmar via Lachen, only and only high gc cars will be given permits. With the current road condition Lachen onward, a low gc will not be able to go. For Yumthang via Lachung, all private cars will be given permits.
himadrimondal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 17:46   #48
BHPian

@himadrimondal. Thanks. Will follow your directions. Btw. Just completed Sandakphu today in my Gangsta!
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 02:29   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Private vehicles are allowed throughout the entire silk route and for that matter entire Sikkim but, there is a but. After doing the silk route four times, this is what I have deduced.
For Silk route through Rongli, only high ground clearance(gc) cars are given permit for the entire route and one can exit via Gangtok. All small cars and low gc cars are given permits till Longthu, Nathang valley. Even during snowfall permits are available for 4x4s as long as you can show them snow chains and a shovel.
For Gurudongmar via Lachen, only and only high gc cars will be given permits. With the current road condition Lachen onward, a low gc will not be able to go. For Yumthang via Lachung, all private cars will be given permits.
What is their definition of high GC cars. Are they the typical Mahindra SUVs or do they consider the new breed of crossovers also ?
Old 1st May 2017, 03:08   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
What is their definition of high GC cars. Are they the typical Mahindra SUVs or do they consider the new breed of crossovers also ?
how is the situation to get ILP at Rongli, for private SUV (MM) ? vehicle will have myself as driver, accompanied with wife & daughter.

will this ILP at Rongli serve destinations like Zuluk, Nathula, Gurudongmar Lake, Yumthang, Lachung, Lachen, etc ? or do I have to take multiple permits ?

thanks for your help.
Old 4th May 2017, 11:17   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
how is the situation to get ILP at Rongli, for private SUV (MM) ? vehicle will have myself as driver, accompanied with wife & daughter.

will this ILP at Rongli serve destinations like Zuluk, Nathula, Gurudongmar Lake, Yumthang, Lachung, Lachen, etc ? or do I have to take multiple permits ?

thanks for your help.
Permits are different for East Sikkim and North Sikkim. From Rongli you should get permit for East Sikkim.

Its very difficult get permit for North. Permit for North Sikkim can be obtained from Gangtok. You can manage only if you have good contacts in army or locals and have a SUV.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th May 2017 at 15:04. Reason: As requested
Uprasenjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 11:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:

thanks for your help.
Adding to what Uprasenjit said.

The vehicle you are driving needs to be in your name. They check this by matching name in your DL & RC book. Carry Photos & Xerox of IDs for everyone travelling.

Regards

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 12:28   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
Permits are different for East Sikkim and North Sikkim. From Rongli you should get permit for East Sikkim eas

Its very difficult get permit for North. Permit for North Sikkim can be obtained from Gangtok. You can manage only if you have good contacts in army or locals and have a SUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Adding to what Uprasenjit said.

The vehicle you are driving needs to be in your name. They check this by matching name in your DL & RC book. Carry Photos & Xerox of IDs for everyone travelling.

Regards

Pawan
thanks to both for your inputs.
My vehicle will be Mahindra Xylo (2WD), and its in my own name. I have all the papers (RC, DL), and family's ID proofs as well. I dont have any other "contacts".

about East Sikkim : One of the day's drive plan is: Darjeeling - Rongpo - Rorathang - Rongli (get ILP) - Zuluk - Kupup - Nathula - Gangtok.

about North Sikkim: I read somewhere that Mangan check-post could provide ILP for Lachung & beyond for North Sikkim. Kindly let me know.
My next drive plan is : Gangtok - Lachung - Mangan - Yumthang; next day: Lachung - Lachen - Gurudongmar Lake - Dongkha La - Gangtok.

this is a quite an impromptu trip, with basic route planning done, based on few nights of reading! I do plan to go beyond Sikkim.

thanks,

Last edited by pcpranav : 4th May 2017 at 12:33.
Old 4th May 2017, 13:17   #54
BHPian

Quote:
thanks to both for your inputs.
My vehicle will be Mahindra Xylo (2WD), and its in my own name. I have all the papers (RC, DL), and family's ID proofs as well. I dont have any other "contacts".
That along with some good luck should do.

Quote:
about East Sikkim : One of the day's drive plan is: Darjeeling - Rongpo - Rorathang - Rongli (get ILP) - Zuluk - Kupup - Nathula - Gangtok.
This is confusing. Route looks okay, but are you planning this in one day ? It is impossible to do this circuit in one day. Infact, if the weather is not nice you will have to do only silk route in two days.

Regards,

Pawan
Old 4th May 2017, 13:28   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
That along with some good luck should do.

This is confusing. Route looks okay, but are you planning this in one day ? It is impossible to do this circuit in one day. Infact, if the weather is not nice you will have to do only silk route in two days.

Regards,

Pawan
thanks for the speedy response, really need it. Just to clarify, I plan to reach Darjeeling by next weekend!

Yes, I did plan for Darjeeling - Zuluk - Nathula - Gangtok circuit in a single day, but will keep your valuable info. If this needs to be split in two days, where do you recommend a night halt ?

Also, again requesting if you could comment on Mangan for North Sikkim permits.

Sorry to cross-post here, I did put a query on this LINK, about my trip plan. Requesting you & gurus to provide your valuable inputs.

thanks again,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks