Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2015, 18:53   #1

Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!

Hi guys, this is my second travelogue and the first one of a long trip, so I'll try to keep the briefing engaging to the best. This trip was with a friend of mine who had already part of the short trip to Pondicherry from Chennai which is detailed in my first travelogue here below

------> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ver-150-a.html

So the long story short, he bought a new bike and I recommend him to do a run-in and hence the Pondicherry trip was made. He was pretty new to touring in a bike but he enjoyed every bit of the pondy trip. So he wanted to go for another trip but this time a longer one. It was almost a good 14 months since I had done a long trip as well so we made peace with a 4-5 day trip. After contemplating on the places to be visited, we finally decided on Valparai. Two days until the start, the plan was to visit Valparai and come back but then my friend insisted we might as well touch base on Yercaud since we had more time and it was on the way to Valparai. So it was finalized, Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai - Chennai.

Route taken
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-map.jpg

Stint one
Both of us met at the Chennai Bypass near Porur a little late than we had planned (An Indian signature touch)! We started the trip around 7am and the temperature was humid but not hot. The traffic was very limited until we pitted for the first time somewhere near Chegalpet. Share-autos carrying their day's produce from Koyembedu market to different areas, few cycle enthusiasts peddling their calories away and spots of other vehicles here and there. Our first stop was planned to be made at a coffee shop which would have decent seating area since we had to confirm the route we would be taking, since either of us did not make it clear the previous day. Unfortunately for us, since it was a Sunday most of the shops were closed and we couldn't find one until we reached a place half an hour from Chengalpet. We halted there for 20 min break.

The Bikes with my friend and the early day's climate
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-temperature.jpg

Filter Coffee and Butter biscuit made our morning!
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-tea.jpg

Some serious route mapping by my friend
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-tea-1.jpg
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-tea-2.jpg

After deciding on the routes to be taken and tidying up our luggage we were on the road again. To add to our enjoyment after the much needed filter coffee the weather kept getting better, from humid to cool and overcast. We were just enjoying both, our bikes and the weather, an excellent start off perfect for a road trip.

At around noon, we halted for breakfast at a place referred to me by one of my friend. The restaurant is called Haritam (Veg only) and it's about 10 Kms or so before you reach the junction to enter Tindivanam city. The food was average and nothing outstanding, however the restaurant was clean and had good loo areas which is much to be appreciated.

The restaurant
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-dsc06534.jpg
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-dsc06533.jpg

En route to Yercaud, the roads were spectacular and had no issues munching miles, even the Discover was happy covering the miles.
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-dsc06566.jpg
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-dsc06586.jpg
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-dsc06588.jpg
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-dsc06593.jpg
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-dsc06594.jpg

After regular pit stops, we reached Salem at around 3pm and decided to break for lunch. We went to a Biryani shop which is located at the basement of a building which has a open front end, we chose it as it was easier for us to keep a watch on our bikes with baggages whilst lunching. Around 4pm we started the ascension towards Yercaud and reached the summit at around 6pm.
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-dsc06597.jpg

By this time, somehow my body from being perfectly normal went on to having a serious cold (I blame on the sudden temperature change). I was not able to take more pictures and my friend was busy hunting for a place to crash. Finally we found a place called Green Park, it was clean and adequately sized for bikers to crash in for a cheaper price tag of Rs.1000 per night. I put my medicines which we got while we had our dinner and went early to bed hoping I would recover for the next day.

We bid good night to our buddies
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-dsc06616.jpg

Stint Two
Woke up fresh however I was reminded to check by sniffing hard if I still had my blocked nose congested. Free as a whistle so out I went to have some sun shine and a cup of hot tea. Both of us decided to check and clean the bikes before we set off again.

Me and my buddy
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-dsc06620.jpg
My friend with his buddy
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-dsc06621.jpg
Lids sunbathing
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-sunbathe-lids.jpg
The hotel
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-dsc06623.jpg

We set off after having a sumptuous home-made dosa with coconut chutney. We visited few places around the Yercaud town.

Lake in the morning
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-lake.jpg
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-bikes-ready-1.jpg

We encountered with our first problem. A damaged bungee cord, which mean we had a to buy a new one in the next town. The sharp edged rear fender in the discover was the culprit and we managed to tie it to set off.
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-torn.jpg

Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-dsc06652.jpg
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-tower.jpg
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-view-1.jpg
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-gap.jpg
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-both.jpg
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-city.jpg

Finally we descended at around noon and checked-in for the last hair pin bend which was vandalized by the greatness of Indian politics. Out of all the area on the wall, exceptional place to stick the bills I should say.
Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!-hairpin.jpg

I shall continue the travelogue from Salem - Valparai - Chennai in my next Part 2 segment, hope you guys like it. Kindly ignore the blackened number plates on few pics, decided no reason to do it only half way through

Last edited by Aditya : 27th October 2015 at 15:13. Reason: Correcting image orientation
abbyanish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 15:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chennai - Yercaud - Valparai!

Nice write-up abbyanish. Some pretty good pictures there as well.

Brilliant roads and the winding uphill section leading to Yercaud looks particularly tempting. Yercaud itself looks like a charming place. If you can, please mark the place you stayed (Green Park) at on a map. It will help others.

Do complete the remaining portion of your travelogue. We are waiting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks