Team-BHP - A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/169661-morning-drive-shettihalli-rosary-church-ruins-twist-plot.html)

A morning drive to Shettihali(Rosary Church) with a plot twist in the end:

This trip was in “To Do” list for a long time and finally got a chance on a Saturday to drive to this place with family.

Plan was to start early so that we can return to Bangalore by lunch.

Misty roads
A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-1.jpg

At A2B,
A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-2.jpg

Now ,the drive towards Shettihali. Another 30Km on the highways and then we had to take left. This left is on the second intersection on the Hassan highway.

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-snap1.jpg

Some pics on the way from the highway towards the Shettihali church.

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-3.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-4.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-5.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-6.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-6a.jpg

Shettihali(Rosary Church):

To go near the church ruins, it’s kind of off-roading on the river bed as there is no proper road. We just followed tyre marks.

We entered a mud road towards the church,

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-9.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-8.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-7.jpg

Here are the some pics,

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-10.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-11.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-12.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-13.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-14.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-15.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-16.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-17.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-18.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-19.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-20.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-21.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-22.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-23.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-24.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-25.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-26.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-27.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-28.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-29.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-30.jpg

Kids had fun throwing stones in to the water,

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-tbhpoptimized.jpg

Twist in the plot:

After spending around 45mins, we decided to return to Bangalore. It was 10:00 AM then. My 8yr old was disappointed that the outing was coming to an end so soon and was not interested in returning to Bangalore. He wanted to drive to some other place before going back to Bangalore. My wife was also ok with the idea.

Mangalore was there in my mind for some time, so I suggested Mangalore and they were excited. We checked the google maps for the distance and it showed 183 Kms and another 4 hours of drive approximately. We started from this church with the destination still in discussion on where to go and in another 25mins we reached the highway with the decision yet to be taken.

Also, the plan was to return back by evening from wherever we go.

I was bit hesitant for Mangalore because,
So, I gave a call to team bhpian speedsatya and he said, it will take around 3-4 hours from Hassan based on the traffic. Finally, we decided to drive to Mangalore for lunch and get back to Bangalore by EOD. This is the craziest thing me and my wife ever did as a family, much thanks to my 8yr old son. The 3yr old never had any complaints about being on the road.

Drive to Managalore:

Lunch and Icecream @ Mangalore:

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-20151024_155755optimized.jpg

Return Journey to Bangalore:

Some Numbers:

Total Kms: 789.4
FE(MID): 18.1
Avg Speed: 52Kmph
Duration: 14H:56M

Overall, it was a glorious day that took its own course. We decided to go with the flow and see where it takes us. Much thanks to speedsatya and his family for taking the time out and spending the afternoon with us. The drive was a joyful one with all kinds of road sampled..4L, 2L, off-roading and ghats. Kept me and my Linea on the toes. The kids had fun all along and my wife was a happy camper. A perfect day out with my family.clap:

Mod note: Split into its own thread as requested.

Drive to Shettihalli with a stop over at Mangalore !! clap:

Seems like they have patched up Hassan - Gorur road, last year majority of that section was in bad shape.

Also, seeing your pics we can figure out how bad this years monsoon was. When I visited the church in Sep 2014 it was almost completely submerged in water. PIC

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpksuhas (Post 3836091)
Also, seeing your pics we can figure out how bad this years monsoon was. When I visited the church in Sep 2014 it was almost completely submerged in water.

Can't believe that one can go near these ruins !

When we went there in October 2006, it was completely submerged in water, with barely the tip of the church visible. Remember having seen this ruin standing on the bridge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpksuhas (Post 3836091)
Seems like they have patched up Hassan - Gorur road, last year majority of that section was in bad shape.

Also, seeing your pics we can figure out how bad this years monsoon was. When I visited the church in Sep 2014 it was almost completely submerged in water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian (Post 3836170)
Can't believe that one can go near these ruins !

When we went there in October 2006, it was completely submerged in water, with barely the tip of the church visible. Remember having seen this ruin standing on the bridge.

Yes, now the road conditions are good almost throughout. Some sections are newly laid.

Looking at that pic, it clearly shows how bad the monsoon is this year.

The below pic was taken from near the water body and it clearly shows how far the water has receded from the church.

@arun, nice account of your visit to the Rosary Church and to Mangalore for lunch and ice-creams. Nice pictures as well, thanks for sharing :thumbs up Hats off to you and the family's zest/enthusiasm for such drives.

You could have also visited Ideal Cafe just off KS Rao Road in Mangalore, again owned by the Pabbas folks. But again, that would have been just Veggie food, not the Non-veg stuff you seem to have enjoyed this time.

Brought back some nostalgic memories of early morning weekend drives to Bidadi, Tumkur and Kolar several years ago just to enjoy the drive and to get some good local breakfast delicacies like Thatte Idly :D
And none of those roads were the 4/6 lane like they are now!

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_josie (Post 3833405)
Shettihali(Rosary Church):

To go near the church ruins, it’s kind of off-roading on the river bed as there is no proper road. We just followed tyre marks.

We entered a mud road towards the church,
This is not a proper tourist place.
  • There are no shops or any kind of civilization very close by.
  • Initially we were alone and this place was deserted.
  • Little dirty around with broken bottles.
  • Kids had some fun throwing stones on the water.

Hello Arun, happy to see you had a nice time and the pics of the ruins are nice. Can't believe you went to Shettihalli and came back via Mangalore:D

As Indian and Suhas have already mentioned, during this time of the year the water should have covered the church. That shows the status of the monsoon this year. In fact people in Hassan unofficially refer to the level of water around the church to decide how the monsoon has been that year.

That said, the place is frequented by mostly people from Hassan who make this place a picnic spot on holidays and thereby littering the place. Since there is not much 'tourist' inflow, the district administration has neglected this place (in terms of facilities). However when more crowds are expected (usually during August-September, when the church is fully submerged), there is some police presence to control crowds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 3836397)
@arun, nice account of your visit to the Rosary Church and to Mangalore for lunch and ice-creams. Nice pictures as well, thanks for sharing :thumbs up Hats off to you and the family's zest/enthusiasm for such drives.

Thanks NPV!

Quote:

You could have also visited Ideal Cafe just off KS Rao Road in Mangalore,
I will keep a note of it for our next visit :)

Quote:

Brought back some nostalgic memories of early morning weekend drives
Our initial plan was Thatte idly at kunigal and then Shettihalli, but then we decided to reach Shettihalli before the sun came out in full swing and had to skip kunigal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by addyhemmige (Post 3836444)
Hello Arun, happy to see you had a nice time and the pics of the ruins are nice. Can't believe you went to Shettihalli and came back via Mangalore:D

Thanks addyhemmige!

It was an impulsive decision :D. I had this plan of driving to Mangalore for lunch, but it would have been a direct solo drive to Mangalore with an early start. This one was a tight fit.

Quote:

That said, the place is frequented by mostly people from Hassan who make this place a picnic spot on holidays and thereby littering the place. Since there is not much 'tourist' inflow, the district administration has neglected this place (in terms of facilities). However when more crowds are expected (usually during August-September, when the church is fully submerged), there is some police presence to control crowds.
Good to know this. When we reached the spot, initially it was only us. Then a KA 51 Xylo with group of guys and a local Omni with a family came to the spot.

Shettihalli Rosary Church Ruins under water:

Visited this place today after 3 years and this time the church is submerged in water. It was an early morning drive and I reached there by 6:30 AM, it was dark and drizzling as well. Here are few pics,

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-ch1.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-ch2.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-s1.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-s1a.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-s2.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-c1.jpg

Had come across a recently uploaded drone footage of the church

https://youtu.be/MyrTGURWF08

Another drive to Shettihalli two days back. Now you can enter the church ruins as the water level has receded.

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-20181102_114723.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-20181102_120834.jpg

A morning drive to Shettihalli (Rosary Church Ruins)...with a twist in the plot-c1.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_josie (Post 4489870)
Another drive to Shettihalli two days back. Now you can enter the church ruins as the water level has receded

Thanks for the recent pics. Two days back on Kannada Rajyotsava day, we were roaming around Sakleshpur, had plans to visit the ruins but a wrong turn delayed our schedule and therefore had to skip it.