Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2015, 16:25   #31
BHPian

Re: Day 5 - Around Gnathang : Old Baba Mandir, Tukla Valley, Kupup Lake, Memencho Lake. (Continued)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post

The location was awesome. So was the weather. It was bright and sunny with cool breeze blowing over the mountains. We had brought a set of chair and coffee table with us from Kolkata and also carried the necessary ingredients for preparing tea/coffee. So, out came the items from the boot. After all we were there to relax.
Yet another stunner from you! Absolutely superb travelogue!

The colours of the Fall are surreal. I somehow had never thought that Autumn in Sikkim are so colorful. It brought out our memories of Fall in North America. Thanks to your travelogue, I am definitely putting it in our "to drive" list of near future.

Secondly, your mighty Eon seems to be amazingly capable! How did you manage to put those chairs and table in the car? The idea of carrying those itself deserves a kudos!

Cheers,
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 18:24   #32
BHPian

Re: From Snarl to Old Silk Route : Rishi Khola, Gnathang, Kupup (East Sikkim) & Icchey Gaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeshsurroach View Post
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!
I thoroughly enjoyed your trip, each pic has a story to say..!
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
Awesome weather you had there, and did justice to it by capturing great clicks.
Thanks! The weather was good in most days, but it was a bit harsh in Gnathang due the low level of oxygen and severe cold temperature. It was 11 deg celsius (max) and -7 deg celsius (min).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
Awesome travelogue and breath taking clicks...
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Beautiful travelogue, and some lovely narration. Its so refreshing to see you take your Eon to places where not many would dare.
Thanks, Himadri da. Thanks to you as well. It was indeed an awesome journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Excellent travelogue there Gearhead ! And its coupled with some great photographs.
Thanks. I read your travelogue on East Sikkim as well. It was awesome! Also, I am a big fan of your travelogues on trekking to different places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Regarding the permit, why did you not request RN (Rongli Road) to Gangtok permit, the entire Silk route could have been covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
.Since you went as far as Kupup, it would have been worthwhile to complete the traverse to Gangtok - thats even more rarer!
I don't exactly know why didn't I ask for permit at least till Changu lake. Initially I did plan like that. But, on seeing the inspector stamping on the permit till Kupup, may be I was so overwhelmed, that I completely forgot about extending it. At that moment, my wife and myself were just waiting when he would hand the permit over to us and we would literally flee from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Woho! What a magnificent travelogue! Diwali gift cant be any better!
Thanks a lot. Comments about pictures coming from you and Himadri da are something different. My wife takes the credit for majority of the pictures shared here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Well that's the beauty of a petrol car! Petrol do not freeze in sub zero temperature....

Another advantage of petrol cars in the higher altitude is petrol cars do not suffer any power loss ...
Absolutely agree to this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Wonderful. What a fantastic travelogue.
Thanks a lot Pawan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
The picture of your frozen car was scary. Don't know how my new car would fare out as I have shifted from Petrol to Diesel now.
Though, I am not at all the candidate to answer this, but I have heard somewhere about anti-freeze add on for Diesel cars. You may ask other knowledgeable guys in the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rup_Chatterjee View Post
Great Snaps and writing, done similar route barring icchaygaon (was in Sillery Gaon) in my Grand Punto on 2013. Kudos to you that you have done it in Eon.
Thanks a lot! That's really great to hear that Punto, with long overhangs, made upto Sillery. Put up a travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonubbsr View Post
Absolutely breathtaking! Take a bow!

Planning a similar trip in the month of April, and this travelogue was very reassuring!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
A very nice travelogue as usual. That orange country is just stunning. Its good to see that your wife has got the same likings and tastes as you have., a real blessing in life.
Thanks a lot!
She is also a great navigator, always alerting me of something in the road. She remains awake for the entire time period I drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
As you rightly said, the best way is to view through once own eyes! Loved it completely!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Wonderful. Simply wonderful!

...Keen to meet up with you folks the next time i visit Kolkata. Now i know where my next time beckons
Thanks! We do have Kolkata meets in Summer/Monsoon and Winter. Join in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post
To say the least it was mesmerizing...

Thank you !
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, GTO! I forget to thank you every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Yet another stunner from you! Absolutely superb travelogue! The colours of the Fall are surreal.
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
How did you manage to put those chairs and table in the car? The idea of carrying those itself deserves a kudos!
I was actually a long time wish to carry chairs and coffee tables in a long road trip. I also carried a charcoal barbecue grill with me and 1.5 kg of charcoal, but the evening I was planning to take it out to prepare one BBQ exotic dish (second day at Iccheygaon), it rained heavily, spoiling the plan.

The chairs are actually two different pieces of wood. It collapses to occupy much less space and coffee table can be folded to small briefcase. On top of that, EON's boot space is very good for a hatchback of its size.

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 11th November 2015 at 18:25.
gearhead_mait is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 15:01   #33
BHPian

Re: From Snarl to Old Silk Route : Rishi Khola, Gnathang, Kupup (East Sikkim) & Icchey Gaon

This is a brilliant travelogue with lucid and vivid narration. Brilliant pictures make it even more attractively real. You are a star for having undertaken this trip. Goes on to show that it is not the vehicle that counts so much, it is the will and determination.

Many thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
itinerant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 17:18   #34
Team-BHP Support

Wonderfully detailed travelogue lovely pictures. Thanks a lot for sharing and rated a deserving 5 stars. It feels strange to see the same places that we have been just a few days back, deja vu . You got better weather than us. Heard that it is snowing in Zuluk now. Heart wants to go back again but no leaves
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 23:59   #35
BHPian

Congrats on a great holiday! Thanks for sharing fantastic pictures and a superbly narrated travelogue - rated a well deserved 5 stars. Taking a small hatchback in this route speaks volumes on your courage and driving skills.

When we visited 5 years back there were no places to stay in Ngathang valley., at that time Gopal Pradhan mentioned that some home stays were due to come up , it is good to know that there in now accommodation for tourists in that beautiful valley.
DriveTrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 00:50   #36
BHPian

Wow! What a travelogue!

Insane pics ..

Kudos to you 2 for sharing this incredible journey with us.

Interestingly I am planning a Mum-Nathu-La-Mum road trip 1-14 Dec 2015...

Plan to be in Darjeeling and Gangtok for ~5 nights and use the days to roam around.

I have a question regarding the permits. I have a company owned vehicle (Company car policy) and hence all papers and insurance are in the name of the company. Would I need a letterhead authorisation from them or showing them my business card and company ID could work for getting the permit? Also, I usually carry only photocopies of the RC and insurance. Would they need originals for verification?

You may not have the answer to this question but if anyone on the forum can help, it would be greatly appreciated...

Once again, I am even more excited after looking through your photos and travelogue..God bless and happy motoring!!
vikram31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 04:33   #37
BHPian

You have proven that a car with a smaller engine, but the person with a bigger heart can take his car to the terrains that are usually not meant to be covered this way. This route is in my list now. Will get in touch with you when I plan my trip next.
kptraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 12:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Wonderfully detailed travelogue lovely pictures. Thanks a lot for sharing and rated a deserving 5 stars. It feels strange to see the same places that we have been just a few days back, deja vu . You got better weather than us. Heard that it is snowing in Zuluk now. Heart wants to go back again but no leaves
Thanks a lot, BlackPearl! Yes, I agree that the weather was good, but it was too cold for comfort. We couldn't get out of our rooms after 3 pm in the afternoon, the lowest temperature being -7 degree Celsius.
On day two in Gnathang, in the afternoon we witnessed "Ice fall" first time in our life. No rainfall, no snowfall, but it was only ice that was coming down and the resultant noise is deafening, specially with all the tin roofed homestays there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
Congrats on a great holiday! Thanks for sharing fantastic pictures and a superbly narrated travelogue - rated a well deserved 5 stars. Taking a small hatchback in this route speaks volumes on your courage and driving skills.

When we visited 5 years back there were no places to stay in Ngathang valley., at that time Gopal Pradhan mentioned that some home stays were due to come up , it is good to know that there in now accommodation for tourists in that beautiful valley.
Thanks, Sir! Here also, I thought I would see a AWD Duster parked in Gnathang, but it was not the case.

Yes, Gnathang do have a number of Homestays, along with the Daftar Bungalow for the tourists as well, but for that one has to contact Sikkim Tourism Development Authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Wow! What a travelogue!

Insane pics ..
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
I have a question regarding the permits. I have a company owned vehicle (Company car policy) and hence all papers and insurance are in the name of the company. Would I need a letterhead authorisation from them or showing them my business card and company ID could work for getting the permit? Also, I usually carry only photocopies of the RC and insurance. Would they need originals for verification?

You may not have the answer to this question but if anyone on the forum can help, it would be greatly appreciated...
I think you should refer to this post from himadrimondal:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3845240

Also, you can contact him regarding permits, as I think he is the most knowledgeable point of contact in this route, having done the circuit four times.

As for the photocopies of RC copy, Insurance and car documents, you can carry them. But the original documents would be required as they verify the original documents only. In my case, they verified my original documents, but haven't asked for the photocopies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptraveller View Post
You have proven that a car with a smaller engine, but the person with a bigger heart can take his car to the terrains that are usually not meant to be covered this way. This route is in my list now. Will get in touch with you when I plan my trip next.
Thanks! I surely would help.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 18:06   #39
BHPian

OMG! Is it in India? is the question I asked to my friend who was zooming in on the “car in the colorful parking lot” picture & subsequent Gnathang valley pictures in his laptop. Breathtaking

Rishikhola River – I felt like am sitting there & enjoying an incomparable natural foot massage! Reminded the time i spent sitting on the rocks of the mighty Beas river (a few months back).

Breathtaking sceneries, amazing waterfalls, beautiful zigzag roads, orange & green valleys, eye soothing green fields, rivers, lakes , mesmerizing Iccheygaon and last but not the least, the Mighty Kanchenjunga! You have carried everything in your camera for us to enjoy! Magnificent travelogue.
Rated 5*
Raaj* is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 18:13   #40
BHPian

Just fantastic. Enjoyed reading every word of it. This is the type of travelogue that provide courage and confidence. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Avishek
Red Panda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 11:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaj* View Post
OMG! Is it in India? is the question I asked to my friend who was zooming in on the “car in the colorful parking lot” picture & subsequent Gnathang valley pictures in his laptop. Breathtaking
....Magnificent travelogue....
Rated 5*
Thanks a lot, Raaj*. The diversity our country offers is just beyond words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
Just fantastic. Enjoyed reading every word of it. This is the type of travelogue that provide courage and confidence. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Avishek
Thanks, Avishek!
Regarding a question you asked earlier - I stay near Manton in Behala.
Old 17th November 2015, 15:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
I stay near Manton in Behala.
Wow . Thats very close to my house. I stay near Rabindranagar Bus Stand. And I pass through Manton every single day. Hope to catch up with you soon.

Regards
Avishek
Red Panda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 11:13   #43
BHPian

Congratulations on yet another exceptional journey! Exemplary narration and great photos. Would you believe I've been planning to do the same route in January! Seems I'll be following your trails once again after the Kaluk episode. Special thanks for the detailed permit related information.

I'm however, skeptical about two issues :
1. Whether snowfall would prevent me from completing the circuit in January ? I'll be happy to make it up till Dzuluk atleast.
2. The diesel freezing issue! I do not have the luxury to heat my fuel tank with a stove with the Figo having a plastic fuel tank and low clearance.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 12:51   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Congratulations on yet another exceptional journey! Exemplary narration and great photos. Would you believe I've been planning to do the same route in January! Seems I'll be following your trails once again after the Kaluk episode. Special thanks for the detailed permit related information.
Thanks a lot, mi2n! Strange coincidence, isn't it? Wish you all the best for your upcoming journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
I'm however, skeptical about two issues :
1. Whether snowfall would prevent me from completing the circuit in January ? I'll be happy to make it up till Dzuluk atleast.
2. The diesel freezing issue! I do not have the luxury to heat my fuel tank with a stove with the Figo having a plastic fuel tank and low clearance.
Unfortunately, can't really comment on this. Snowfall is heavy during January and if that's the case, then permit would not be given to low GC vehicles or without snow chains.

As far as I know, snowfall doesn't go hand in hand with freezing temperature. So, you are most likely to face one or the other during January. I have witnessed the condition of diesel SUVs at that temperature, that too in October.
So, please do research a bit before you venture.
Old 29th November 2015, 21:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

Just read through the entire travelogue in one sitting. Mesmerising is the only word I can think of. This definitely will go my list of Places to visit and the Zuluk loops goes to my Roads to drive on. Thanks for sharing!
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks