Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 23:45   #16
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Trekking 100 kms from Garudmaachi to Lonavla! How hard can it be?

We did it! For the second time! AND we shaved off almost 2 hours and 15 minutes from last year's time. The bodies were exhausted, but the minds were (literally) on cloud 9.

This Mumbai Tralwalker 100kms trek is definitely a experience that I would remember for my life. Yes, its exhausting and does get really painful. Plus it needs a lot of hours of preparation from a few months before. Many times I have asked that question to myself - is it really worth it? and this sign from somewhere along the trail, sums it up pretty well!
Trekking 100 kms from Garudmaachi to Lonavla! How hard can it be?-p_20151121_152616.jpg

<The End>

Last edited by SDP : 1st December 2015 at 00:36.
SDP is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 09:35   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Trekking 100 kms from Garudmaachi to Lonavla! How hard can it be?

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing & Congrats!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 11:45   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on completing the trek sir! Definitely a gruesome but amazing experience. The foul tasting potion looks like a cold pressed juice from the RAW pressery. Hard to believe that thing retails at an MRP of Rs.150 eh? 😂
kkkkkaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 13:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

WOW!
What an experience, and we all lived it by going through your thread.
Your experience about distance vs aches vs group dynamics is close to what I have observed, though I have never walked for such a long period!

What I have observed is, that mentally playing a marching drum roll for left right left right is a great motivator to keep moving on ... and you suddenly realize the importance of marching pattern imbibed in the army drills.

Regarding the point about chafing, why bother with wearing undergarments? In fact why didn't anyone wear loose fitting one piece robe kind of dress? For general chafing I have observed that talcum powder (the finer the quality, the better) works superb as a precautionary measure around all joint and areas where skin touches. (but then this is not based on a 100km walk, so mine may be a wrong advice)

Last edited by alpha1 : 1st December 2015 at 13:45.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 13:57   #20
BHPian

Brilliant effort SDP! Hats off. Beautiful detailed narration as always. This thread should help to trigger some trek worms in my head now which were sleeping since long .

I too was of the same opinion about walking sticks, but when I used them extensively during my last Himalaya run I realised how useful they are. Infact in some of the stretches I even used 2 walking sticks at a time . Now they have become a permanent accessory for me lol.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 14:36   #21
BHPian

Wow SDP, what a thread and achievement for Terrific Trekkers.

Read in one go ( As good as your other travelogues). Initial thought, why is he writing about 2014 trek now. Did a date check twice
When reached the 2015 part, realized my folly.
Anyway the pic mentions everything - Life Begins at the end of your comfort zone !
mm403 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 16:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

One more wonderful thread SDP.

Got to learn few new words / concepts like Plantar Fascia ligament & Chafing.

Great to see you recovering back after the hiccup between CP2 and CP3, I am sure it would have been very difficult to get back to walking after that scare. By the way what happens if there is a medical emergency and one of the team members cannot complete the Trek? I mean is it necessary that all 4 team members have to complete the trek?

One more thing, good to see you clicking selfies.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 17:03   #23
BHPian

Dear SDP,

Top of the line report!

I could not skip a single line ....

I felt as if I was with you ALL THE TIME!
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 17:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Awesome thread SDP. Simply mind blowing to think of anyone trekking a 100kms. To think of the kind of preparation that you might have gone thru, i don't think i can ever dream of doing such stuff.

As usual, the crisp narration is totally involving. Kudos to you for achieving this 2 years on a trot.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 17:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

One more question SDP, are you planning to take up the challenge next year too? I am sure the two marathon runners in your team will continue next year, what about you?

This year I see you reduced a lot of carry on luggage, even left Camara. You were better prepared physically and mentally as compared to last year. What are the additional preparation & precautions you will need to take care of?

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 18:25   #26
BHPian

Sir,

Kudos to you, for the trek AND for the way you wrote, taking as all into the journey with you.

When I started reading, and had gone through the preparation part, I was ready to jump in and do the next Oxfam challenge myself.

Your subsequent posts, brought me back to mother earth
Reminded me of the Army days and of the need to prepare for these kind of events.

Thanks to your post, I will say yes, to my friend, who has been pestering me to join him.
sandip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 18:45   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Terrific effort SDP.

Hats off to you, team and especially the support guys. Its an amazing feat you have achieved, twice. Having the support like you did is something noteworthy too. You have been so much motivational - be it cycle rides, duma's runs or simple yet weekly updates on fitness goals. Its just phenomenal. I envy your way of managing things - life, family and passion!

Saw the pics from the first trek about Maratha Light Infantry team literally running to the finish line! Can't even imagine how they would have trained themselves. True to their motto - Sweat in peace saves blood in war! And you followed exactly the same. Prepared well in advance and achieved the goal
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 20:04   #28
BHPian

What an amazing thread. SDP you went above & beyond, that is clear. What's really amazing is how you continued doing that even with your words & expressions in this thread.

Very very motivating.
Well done.

Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 22:56   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant. Had heard of this from my colleague who did it this year as well apart from last year. It's quite a test of mettle and happy you took it and finished it too. Congrats and thanks for sharing the pics.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 07:46   #30
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
... & Congrats!
Thanks GTO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Congratulations on completing the trek sir! Definitely a gruesome but amazing experience. The foul tasting potion looks like a cold pressed juice from the RAW pressery. Hard to believe that thing retails at an MRP of Rs.150 eh? ��
Thanks !
We did try I guess 4 different varieties of the RAW. Except the first one that I have mentioned, the other ones were actually nice! The MRP printed is indeed Rs150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
WOW!
...What I have observed is, that mentally playing a marching drum roll for left right left right is a great motivator to keep moving on ... and you suddenly realize the importance of marching pattern imbibed in the army drills.
So true!

Quote:
Regarding the point about chafing, why bother with wearing undergarments? In fact why didn't anyone wear loose fitting one piece robe kind of dress? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Brilliant effort SDP! Hats off. Beautiful detailed narration as always. This thread should help to trigger some trek worms in my head now which were sleeping since long .
Let's plan something for this winter. Its been ages since we trekked as a group.

And thanks for all the help and advice! Special thanks to you and the Shenoys (adishenoy + cartman) for contributing to the fund-raising as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
Wow SDP, what a thread and achievement for Terrific Trekkers.
Thanks buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
....I felt as if I was with you ALL THE TIME!
Thanks a lot for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Awesome thread SDP.

....i don't think i can ever dream of doing such stuff.
Thanks Desmo! Typically there are mental blocks which stop us from attempting things like this. But once you commit to it, the mind does pull the body up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
One more wonderful thread SDP.
Great to see you recovering back after the hiccup between CP2 and CP3, I am sure it would have been very difficult to get back to walking after that scare. By the way what happens if there is a medical emergency and one of the team members cannot complete the Trek? I mean is it necessary that all 4 team members have to complete the trek?
Thanks Jignesh!
If someone can not complete the trek due to any reason, he/she retires. The rest of the team can still go ahead and finish the challenge. Individuals only get the the medal+certificate if you complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
One more question SDP, are you planning to take up the challenge next year too? I am sure the two marathon runners in your team will continue next year, what about you?
Good question! Frankly, I don't know.
First attempt was marred by knee and chafing injuries. This year, I did had problem around 30KM mark. So may be I would attempt it again next year in the hope of a clean victory. Or may be I will spare myself the torture next year. I really don't know. It does depend on the team as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandip View Post
Sir,

Kudos to you, for the trek AND for the way you wrote, taking as all into the journey with you.
Thanks to your post, I will say yes, to my friend, who has been pestering me to join him.
Thanks. Please do participate. Its definitely a experience worth cherishing for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Terrific effort SDP.
Thank you so much Avinash!
Couldn't share this last year as I didn't had anything besides some 20 odd snaps. Most of the trail details, timings etc were a blur due to exhaustion. This time, I did click a lot more snaps and made notes during the trail which allowed piecing a narration together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
What an amazing thread. SDP you went above & beyond, that is clear.
Thank you for the kind words! Means a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Brilliant. Had heard of this from my colleague who did it this year as well apart from last year. It's quite a test of mettle and happy you took it and finished it too. Congrats and thanks for sharing the pics.
Thanks buddy! You are from Mumbai/Pune. You should join next year! Would be fun.

Last edited by SDP : 2nd December 2015 at 07:54.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks