Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2016, 16:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Over the Sach Pass in a sedan: A ‘Dzire’ fulfilled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduttaghy View Post
Hi Ssambyal1980. First of all let me complement you for your feat with the Swift Dzire. It is admirable how you managed to negotiate such tough conditions without facing any hitches. It is also good to see that the car was alright at the completion of the trip. Wish you many more happy tripping.
Thanks alot Sir for the compliment and for taking out time to read the travelogue. Indeed the drive to Sach Pass was perilous one, given the fact that there was nothing in name of road but only unmetalled track coupled with steep gradient all through with very narrow stretches in between. Nonetheless the Dzire's performance was awesome. To add to that, it's decent ground clearance of 170mm is a confidence booster, which aides in negotiating the rough patches albeit with some extremely careful driving. From my mountain driving experience so far, all I can say is that Chamba-Sach Pass-Killar highway is amongst the toughest to drive on in the Himalayan region and should be attempted preferably in a 4WD vehicle with high ground clearance (Maruti Gypsy King & Mahindra Thar would be the best options).

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 3rd February 2016 at 16:07.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 10:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
Day2 Continued...
The steep descent and narrow road made us ponder that how the bus drivers negotiate such a dangerous route. Yes you’ve heard right, this very route has a regular govt. bus service run by Himachal Road Transport Corporation. Hats off to the gutsy drivers who drive buses on a route, on which even driving a car is pretty much anxiety ridden and risky. To add to the driver’s woes are blind turns and absence of guards rails along the road. Nonetheless slowly but steadily we were able to cover this hazardous route fraught with dangers all the way.
Wonderful writeup . I was actually wondering if I can take my new Endeavour to sachpass in this October as it's comparatively a little bigger in size than most SUV's. But when you say there is a regular bus service, I don't think it will be tough for an SUV. Btw how was the traffic and how many vehicles did you cross?
Harshavarthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 13:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Wonderful writeup . I was actually wondering if I can take my new Endeavour to sachpass in this October as it's comparatively a little bigger in size than most SUV's. But when you say there is a regular bus service, I don't think it will be tough for an SUV. Btw how was the traffic and how many vehicles did you cross?
Thanks for going through the travelogue. Yes you can definitely drive over the Sach Pass in a Ford Endeavour as the vehicle has the triple advantage of high ground clearance, powerful engine and large tyres. The size of the vehicle won't be a botheration as the road to the pass is wide enough to accommodate a bus. The traffic is quite scarce as the road is not metalled and also because of the fact that entire route is largely uninhabited. From Bairagarh onwards (from where the steep ascent to the pass starts) till Killar a distance of 72 odd kilometers, we came across only a dozen vehicles (Mostly Tata Sumo Taxis) returning with locals to Chamba. As a friendly word of advice I would recommend you to thoroughly enquire about the route conditions to the pass and beyond at Chamba itself before proceeding. Would like to hear from you regarding your experience. God Speed.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 15:34   #19
BHPian

Thanks for the advice ssambyal1980. Right now my planning are still in initial stages but most probably I'll do Keylong to Chamba as my last leg after completing Spiti, Leh, Zanskar, Nubra, Pangong, Chushul and Tso Moriri.
Old 30th October 2016, 17:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

I did Sach Pass back in 2007 with a friend, when the road had only just been opened to civilian traffic and parts of it were still under construction. We did it from the steeper Killar side, we were on bikes, it was mid-October, the approach to the pass was covered in snow for a few km's, and there was lots of glare ice on the Chamba side... my friend on his imported 250cc Honda dual-sport (27bhp strong!) was struggling and I had to push him at a point or two. I managed on my lowly, featherweight KB100 by pushing in the saddle with my feet and slipping the clutch mercilessly.

Anyway, it is till now the toughest pass I've ever been over, and I've heard several stories since of people who had to push their Bullets for many km's to the top, or who nearly met their demise after leaving - or almost leaving - the road surface (one biker acquaintance was left clinging for dear life on a rock in the river far below). It is a treacherous route and undertaking it in a sedan (as you have thus far succeeded in many other times) is quite a feat. Thanks for sharing, and hope you won't mind my adding a few pics - as you've shared, stunning scenes everywhere and worth the effort if the risks can be accepted.

Over the Sach Pass in a sedan: A ‘Dzire’ fulfilled!-f1290026.jpg
Over the Sach Pass in a sedan: A ‘Dzire’ fulfilled!-f1250024.jpg
Over the Sach Pass in a sedan: A ‘Dzire’ fulfilled!-f1250031.jpg
Attachment 1572231
Over the Sach Pass in a sedan: A ‘Dzire’ fulfilled!-f1300005.jpg

Good memories you've inspired, and I'd love to do it again some day...

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 30th October 2016 at 18:10.
ringoism is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 23:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
I did Sach Pass back in 2007 with a friend, when the road had only just been opened to civilian traffic and parts of it were still under construction. We did it from the steeper Killar side, we were on bikes, it was mid-October, the approach to the pass was covered in snow for a few km's, and there was lots of glare ice on the Chamba side... my friend on his imported 250cc Honda dual-sport (27bhp strong!) was struggling and I had to push him at a point or two. I managed on my lowly, featherweight KB100 by pushing in the saddle with my feet and slipping the clutch mercilessly...Good memories you've inspired, and I'd love to do it again some day...
-Eric
Thanks Sir. It feels great to know about your amazing experience. Your's is an absolutely remarkable feat of attempting Sach Pass on a bike and that too when the road or better to call it bumpy narrow track was under construction. Hands down Sach Pass is the most treacherous motorable pass. Couldn't agree more with you that attempting it on a bike is a virtual nightmare. Without doubt the climb from Killar is extremely steep and with the road being unmetalled getting traction is a challenge.

We did it from Chamba side as it would have been virtually impossible for the FWD sedan to attempt it from Killar side. Apart from the approach being quite steep what adds to driver's misery is the slushy conditions due to waterfalls and streams flowing right on the road. To make matters risky is the narrow road with no guard rail or parapets and adding to the fear is the deep gorge all along. While descending from the pass towards Killar our entire drive was in first gear so as to make the maximum use of engine braking.

Thanks a lot for sharing amazing photographs of your extremely adventurous Sach Pass trip. The second photograph is a clear testimony to the fact that how narrow, landslide prone and treacherous is the road from Killar side. By replying to this old thread you too brought around old memories. Thanks once again. Keep posting. GOD SPEED.

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 31st October 2016 at 00:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks