Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2015, 03:13   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Darjeeling, Parts of Sikkim & Dooars in a Toyota Etios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
You could have taken Figo for a change this time.
Thanks a lot.
Yes could have definitely taken our Figo, but at the end i took the Etios because of the enormous space it offers. At time's the rear seat do act as sleeper class, when my mom is the only rear seat passenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
but seems a bit hurried. But thanks to you for atleast jotting down the travelogue.
Thanks a lot.
Yes i second your opinion. This sector is really very popular among travel enthusiasts and few Bhpain's including you, do have such detailed travelogues on this region i just found it really difficult to pen it down. So i have have just touched few details and shared the pictures. Will definitely keep you suggestion in mind for the next travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
just wanted to know how is the road condition from Kolkata to Darjeeling? can it be done in low GC cars like Honda Civic?
Did you chose any specific route etc?
I drive a Honda Civic.
Thanks.
The route i have taken can be easily done in a Honda Civic. Its the general route every one takes. I have not taken any specific low ground clearance car friendly route. If you take Nh34 do avoid the Dalkhola bypass because of two huge road humps and avoid driving on the river bed, if you plan to visit Jayanti. Rest of the route is absolutely fine for a Civic. Nh34 do have some bad patches but that's absolutely fine for any car. The road condition in hills is in great shape as of now.

Last edited by Samba : 6th December 2015 at 03:35.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 13:39   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautifully written and photographed as usual. You are setting a very high standard in writing travelogues, Samba. Deserves 5 stars, again as usual.

I don't think I have the guts to test the limits of a sedan like the Etios, on riverbeds such as the one you have shown videos of.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 17:44   #18
BHPian

Wonderful write up and

When I saw the pic of an Etios on the TBhp home page, I invariably knew this was another post from Samba !
For me Etios= Samba and Samba= Etios

Rated 5 *****
Thanks once again.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 17:46   #19
BHPian

"A picture is worth a thousand words" and you have proved that to be true in this travelogue of yours. The travelogue just took me back to those places which at a point of time was a part of our customary annual road trip. Relived those memories with every photograph posted by you. Amazing

A big thanks to you for the Tea you brought for me from Nathmull's (Darjeeling) and from Temi !! The flavour and the essence of the tea is so much alive all throughout your travelogue as well.

Wanted to share a few snaps of my past trips here, but I guess I will let that rest as the Prologue to my Travelogue (which I may write sometime in the future) once I revisit this part of the Himalayas with my Family and my Figo.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 19:46   #20
BHPian

Nicely written Samba, with precise details! Attractive Photos & appreciable photography. Worth 5 stars!
I was planning for the Himalayan golden triangle trip in 2011 but could not get 2 weeks leave. In 2013, family didnt allow me to travel with my 2 years old kid. Now your pictures have made me to open a word file "Plan for D" & to start with the details from your reviews of hotels.
A question. I read in websites that Summer months from April to June are the ideal time to travel to Darjeeling. July to September or mid of november, it will face heavy rain. Is June the good month to visit or November?
Raaj* is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 20:15   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks every one for your precious comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaj* View Post
A question. I read in websites that Summer months from April to June are the ideal time to travel to Darjeeling. July to September or mid of november, it will face heavy rain. Is June the good month to visit or November?
As far as my experience goes, i will prefer March to May end and again mid October to November end. At these times one can expect sunny weather with clear Kanchanjungha. Am not very sure about June to September.

Last edited by Samba : 7th December 2015 at 20:19.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 20:47   #22
BHPian

Just as expected from Samba. Superb pictures and great write-up. Darjeeling has its own rustic charm that keeps mesmerizing.
34,000 per KG of tea leaves was like i hope there was a way to take pictures of the taste.
I am a big fan of Darjeeling tea and whenever i go home (to Asansol) I ensure to buy at least 3-4 kilos which last for a good 6-7 months. But still wondering what makes this particular tea worth so much. Did you find out why? If so please share.
globemaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 22:50   #23
Team-BHP Support

Beautiful travelogue as usual, rated a well deserved 5 stars. I have hardly got any suggestions to give except one - your Etios is crying for alloys

Last edited by BlackPearl : 7th December 2015 at 22:51.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 23:16   #24
BHPian

I have been following your posts from the time you joined teambhp and even before that and I must say I am impressed every time . The information that is available is just enough boost for me to make a trip similar to the one you made . Again the pictures are very immersive and a boring day at office just becomes fun .
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 10:55   #25
BHPian

A brilliant travelogue which keeps you hooked.The snaps were awesome and the details informative.

Will try to make this happen next year and would bug you if I have any questions.
joy_swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 11:03   #26
BHPian

Excellent travelogue Samba. Voted 5 stars! Interesting read and I'm still drooling over the pics Superb photos!
Gosu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 11:55   #27
BHPian

What a fantastic travelogue. Nice narrative with amazing photographs. Seems you really had a great time. This travelogue is for sure a motivation for the travel freaks to explore the eastern countryside. Thanks for sharing.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 15:52   #28
BHPian

As always, a nice travelogue, Samba. I envy you for being able to process your photos, compose the text, upload and post in so short a time . I am still processing my Varanasi photos from Dec 2014. And then I have Sandakphu-Sikkim in May 2015, and Himachal in October.
mr.sinha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 16:02   #29
BHPian

Now what to say about your Travelogues, practically nothing. Only I should say like always

Seeing this kind of TLs makes us nostalgic. Can't help but uploading some pictures from my collection.

People like us go to Tiger Hill to enjoy the Drive / Ride not the Sunrise.

Long Back in 2006 with my beloved Honda Unicorn.
Darjeeling, Parts of Sikkim & Dooars in a Toyota Etios-dscf3656.jpg

Darjeeling, Parts of Sikkim & Dooars in a Toyota Etios-dscf3658.jpg

The Buddha Park of Rabangla is truly a marvelous place everyone who travels in that region should visit that. The only thing is they don't allow to take pictures inside.

Darjeeling, Parts of Sikkim & Dooars in a Toyota Etios-dsc_8005.jpg

At Namchi the main attraction is Chardham but the Padmasambhava statue is also quite beautiful

Darjeeling, Parts of Sikkim & Dooars in a Toyota Etios-dsc_8091.jpg

It seems that you didn't get enough time at Chardham, hence to complement the TL I am attaching the pictures.

Darjeeling, Parts of Sikkim & Dooars in a Toyota Etios-dsc_8100.jpg

Darjeeling, Parts of Sikkim & Dooars in a Toyota Etios-dsc_8104.jpg

Darjeeling, Parts of Sikkim & Dooars in a Toyota Etios-dsc_8106.jpg

Darjeeling, Parts of Sikkim & Dooars in a Toyota Etios-dsc_8107.jpg

Darjeeling, Parts of Sikkim & Dooars in a Toyota Etios-dsc_8108.jpg

and Finally . Lord Shiva.

Darjeeling, Parts of Sikkim & Dooars in a Toyota Etios-dsc_8113.jpg

Seeing Pictures of Temi is like reliving the North Sikkim tour. We really relaxed in the lap of the nature at temi after the gruelling drive of North Sikkim.

Darjeeling, Parts of Sikkim & Dooars in a Toyota Etios-dsc_8855.jpg

Night Photography is always a good time pass in the evening.

Darjeeling, Parts of Sikkim & Dooars in a Toyota Etios-dsc_8895.jpg

The Team.

Darjeeling, Parts of Sikkim & Dooars in a Toyota Etios-dsc_8962.jpg
SouraC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 16:55   #30
BHPian

Nice read and awesome photographs as usual.
Brought back memories of our family trip to Darjeeling, Gangtok and Nathula last year, though we missed Mirik by a whisker., would like to go there again. Thanks.
Ddrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks