Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2016, 14:28   #16
BHPian

Re: A week in Odisha: Konark, Nandankanan, Panchalingeswar and a bit more

Brilliantly written and amazing pictures (the captions included). The beach in the first leg of your travel reminded me of our visit to Ganpatipule in Maharashtra. The beach there too is very flat and long.
Kalesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 18:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread. I like the roads. Most roads in Orissa are quite good.
its sad to see Konark deteriorate over the years. All the original carvings were never taken care of. Now they have just replaced the carvings with block stones with almost no carvings on them.
ASI does not seem to have the budget nor the willingness to revive the old art of carving these priceless reminders of a beautiful culture that was once upon a time.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 16:24   #18
BHPian

Dear gmhossain,

Really enjoyed reading your lovely travelogue and seeing the wonderful pictures.A Kolkata -Puri -Konark -Chandipur has been on my "to Do" list for quite some time.Your thread adds fuel to that latent desire.Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Safedriver76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 20:06   #19
BHPian

Nice crisp travelogue Golam. It appealed all the more to me as I myself came back after a relaxed drive to Puri and Konark only last week.
Since you spent a week in Odisha, can you or any other knowledgeable member in this forum throw some light on a port town called Dhamara or Dhamra near Bhadrak? One of my friend will be driving from Puri to Kolkata and wants to halt there for a night and was enquiring if it is at all a place worth visiting. Do keep travelling and post more beautiful travelogues.

Subhojit
subhojitb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 11:28   #20
BHPian

Excellent trip you had experienced.
Detailed narration with the road condition updates is an icing on the cake.
It's very good to see such beautiful roads leading to "Bangali's 2nd Home" i.e. Puri. Continue traveling and posting such beautiful travelogues.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 12:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. sen View Post
Hello and New Year Greetings and Best Wishes. An Excellent writeup, complete with great storytelling pictures ! Great Mileage ! The Toll was Killing, though ! Not much about food exploration, which was expected in Orissa, being a paradise for seafood, at great rates.
Thank you Dr. sen. Yes, you are quite right about the sea-food. Indeed, we didn't explore much in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_RD View Post
Wow! Nice travelogue and the pictures are also good! Well, the Puri-Konarok marine drive seems very scary at night!
Thanks Raj_RD! We did not drive on this stretch in the night. However, I would agree that it would be a lonely stretch in the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
Nicely Written Travelogue..Though my parents are from Balasore, i never spent too much time there as i was born and brought up outside. These lovely pictures did kindle a longing to visit these lovely places. I would appreciate your honest feedback about the quality of the food and lodgings in OTDC.
Thanks dpkbehera! I would say the food and lodgings are OK at OTDC but could be made better. However, it was within our expectation that of a government-run resort and crucially they have the best locations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalesh View Post
Brilliantly written and amazing pictures (the captions included). The beach in the first leg of your travel reminded me of our visit to Ganpatipule in Maharashtra. The beach there too is very flat and long.
Thanks Kalesh! It's good to know about Ganpatipule beach. I would say such beaches are actually kids-friendly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Nice thread. I like the roads. Most roads in Orissa are quite good.
its sad to see Konark deteriorate over the years. All the original carvings were never taken care of. Now they have just replaced the carvings with block stones with almost no carvings on them.
ASI does not seem to have the budget nor the willingness to revive the old art of carving these priceless reminders of a beautiful culture that was once upon a time.
Thanks jaysmokesleaves! Indeed, replaced stones are simply plain blocks and it would be better to restore also the stone carvings on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedriver76 View Post
Really enjoyed reading your lovely travelogue and seeing the wonderful pictures.A Kolkata -Puri -Konark -Chandipur has been on my "to Do" list for quite some time.Your thread adds fuel to that latent desire.Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Thank you Safedriver76. I guess, the road conditions for this stretch has never been better. So if you feel the urge then simply hit the street!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhojitb View Post
Nice crisp travelogue Golam. It appealed all the more to me as I myself came back after a relaxed drive to Puri and Konark only last week.
Since you spent a week in Odisha, can you or any other knowledgeable member in this forum throw some light on a port town called Dhamara or Dhamra near Bhadrak?
Thanks Subhojit! I hope your next travelogue is on the way! No, I don't have much knowledge about Dhamara!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Excellent trip you had experienced.
Detailed narration with the road condition updates is an icing on the cake.
It's very good to see such beautiful roads leading to "Bangali's 2nd Home" i.e. Puri.
Thanks Soumyajit. Admittedly, often I get the final kick to hit the road just after reading your travelogue!

Cheers,
Golam
gmhossain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 22:39   #22
BHPian

I did this circuit twice, once on my P220 and the other one in my fathers zen back in 2013. Your travelogue reminded me those days. The road condition has noticeable improved now, I had to face frequent diversions. The best part for me was the Puri-Konark expressway.

A week in Odisha: Konark, Nandankanan, Panchalingeswar and a bit more-dscf1515.jpg

A week in Odisha: Konark, Nandankanan, Panchalingeswar and a bit more-wp_20130413_008.jpg
Uprasenjit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2016, 17:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_RD View Post
Wow! Nice travelogue and the pictures are also good! Well, the Puri-Konarok marine drive seems very scary at night!
Just kidding, it may sometime look scary too. Here is a picture of the Puri-Konark marine drive road taken during our return to Puri, say at around half past eight only, after the Konark temple complex was closed for the day at eight.
A week in Odisha: Konark, Nandankanan, Panchalingeswar and a bit more-dsc_0113.jpg
Regards,
Rahul
rahul4640 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 14:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Attachment 1519205
Regards,
Rahul
OT - What light is that ?
Old 22nd July 2016, 14:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
OT - What light is that ?
Touchwood, they are normal H1 and H7 Philips bulbs. I do not even have a foglamp in my car. I guess that the illumination is prominent due to absence of any light at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks