Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2015, 11:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Tomorrow is the first trip in my TUV lined up, though a short one.
Had a two day eventful trip in my TUV.

Day#1 29-Dec-2015

Sinhagad Fort - Balaji Temple - Narayanpur

Day#2 30-Dec-2015

Shivthar Ghal (via Bhor and Varandha Ghat)

Sharing the trailor pictures as of now. Detailed travelogue will be coming soon.

Orange tank admiring the Nira-Devghar dam
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-dscn4988.jpg

Taking a halt over one of the bridges on backwaters
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-img_20151230_115907.jpg

TUV doing "sun bathing" in Varandha ghat
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-img_20151230_123203.jpg

TUV doing the balancing act with mountain on left and valley on right side
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-img_20151230_124642.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 13:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective

Day#1 29-Dec-2015

Sinhagad Fort - Balaji Temple - Narayanpur

All of us got up early in the morning. We started @ 08:15am from our home in Chinchwad and reached Joshi uncle's home on Sinhagad road @ 09:00am. Had a sumptuous breakfast and tea over there and started for Sinhagad fort @ 10:00am from their home.

01-TUV soaking in the morning sun in the apartment
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-01tuv-soaking-morning-sun-apartment.jpg

02-TUV soaking in the morning sun in the apartment (another shot)

With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-02tuv-soaking-morning-sun-apartment-another-shot.jpg

We crossed the Khadakwasla dam and then Donje village. We stopped there and asked a person for the road to the top of fort. He gestured us to continue straight. We then continued on the same road. However as we started progressing we could see the Sinhagad fort was moving away from us on the left hand side. I thought we had missed the fort road entry point and were heading towards Panshet dam. I stopped and asked a small shop owner, my fear came true as we have missed the Donje village entry point by 4kms. We had to take a U turn and head back to Donje village. As we crossed through the village, on the left we could see the entry gate to the fort. The forest dept charges Rs 50/- as entry tax. We paid that and proceeded. The winding ghat road started thereon. The road condition is good only for the initial 3-4 kms, after that it is pathetic. Since we were early in the day and it being a week day, there was hardly any traffic. With 6 adults and 2 kids, crossing the steep hair-pin bends was a cakewalk for the TUV. Most of the times I was climbing in 2nd or 3rd gear, tacho needle hovering between 2K to 2.5K rpm. Exactly at 11:00am we reached the mountain top. There were couple of private vehicles and innumerable Boleros dotting the parking space at the top (Boleros are used for ferrying the tourists). Couple of pics taken on reaching the mountain top.

03-TUV jostling for space along with other cars
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-03tuv-jostling-space-along-other-cars.jpg

04-Rock patch adorning the Doordarshan tower in the backdrop
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-04rock-patch-adorning-doordarshan-tower-backdrop.jpg

05-All the 8 car occupants eclipsing the Orange Tank
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-05all-8-car-occupants-eclipsing-orange-tank.jpg

Some pictures taken while we satrted climbing the fort on foot

06-The first entrance gate called Pune Darwaja
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-06the-first-entrance-gate-called-pune-darwaja.jpg

07-The second gate without any name - Kulfi vendor soaking in the sun
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-07the-second-gate-without-any-name-kulfi-vendor-soaking-sun.jpg

08-Ghodyachi Paga meaning Horse's stable
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-08ghodyachi-paga-meaning-horses-stable.jpg

09-Now no horses, only donkey work

With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-09now-no-horses-only-donkey-work.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 17:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

10-Signboard showing way to Kondhaneshwar Temple
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-10signboard-showing-way-kondhaneshwar-temple.jpg

Due to this local diety this fort was earlier called Kondhana, when it was in the clutches of Mughals. One fine day Jijabai (Shivaji's mother) expressed her desire to capture this fort back from the Mughals as she was not able to take the darshan of rising sun. On hearing this, Tanaji Malusare came forward to lead the attack. This at a time when his son Raiba was getting married. Shivaji Maharaj told Tanaji that he first needs to attend his son's wedding. On hearing this Tanaji uttered these words, "Aadhi lagin Kondhanycha, magach Raibacha", which means I will first marry (capture) the fort Kondhana and only then will attend the marriage of my son, Raiba.

Tanaji attacked the Mughals with full vigour and captured the fort, but in doing so he laid down his life. On hearing this, Shivaji Maharaj proclaimed, "Gad ala pan Sinha gela", meaning we have won the fort, but lost our lion (Sinha). From that day onwards this fort was renamed as "Sinhagad". Enjoy some more snaps

11-The Kondhaneshwar Temple
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-11the-kondhaneshwar-temple.jpg

11-Closer shot of The Kondhaneshwar Temple
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-11closer-shot-kondhaneshwar-temple.jpg

12-The dilapidated lamp post and nandi in front of Kondhaneshwar Temple
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-12the-dilapidate-lamp-post-nandi-front-kondhaneshwar-temple.jpg

13-Stone steps leading to Kondhaneshwar Temple
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-13stone-steps-leading-kondhaneshwar-temple.jpg

14-Wild shrubs enroute the pathway to the temple
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-14wild-shrubs-enroute-pathway-temple.jpg

15-Samadhi sthal of Narveer Tanaji Malusare
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-15samadhi-sthal-narveer-tanaji-malusare.jpg

16-Shahir, singing a powada in praise of Tanaji Malusare. School kids on a picnic listening in rapt attention
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-16shahir-singing-powada-praise-tanaji-malusare.jpg

17-Signboard showing Dev-Takey
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-17signboard-showing-devtakey.jpg

18-Actual Dev-Takey meaning Tank of God

With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-18actual-devtakey-meaning-tank-god.jpg

The actual water tank is underneath a rock cliff, protect by the house like structure that you see in the picture above. The name Dev-Takey meaning Tank of God is because this tank has cool drinking water all throughout the year. Its reservoir level is constantly maintained by natural springs feeding water to it, hence this tank never runs out of water and quenches the thirst of all tourists who visit the fort.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 31st December 2015 at 17:16.
AutoIndian is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 17:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

19-Signboard showing way to Kalyan darwaja
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-19signboard-showing-way-kalyan-darwaja.jpg

20-Kalyan darawaja as seen from the top
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-20kalyan-darawaja-seen-top.jpg

21-This is the actual Kalyan darwaja, gate#2
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-21this-actual-kalyan-darwaja-gate2.jpg

22-Another view of the Kalyan Darwaja as viewed from bottom

With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-22another-view-kalyan-darwaja-viewed-bottom.jpg

On the foothills, opposite to the side of Pune, there is a small village by the name "Kalyan". The trail, which starts from the village and reaches to the top of the fort passes through this door/ entrance. Hence the name of this entrance, "Kalyan Darwaja"

23-Signboard showing Hatti Takey, Tank for Elephants
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-23signboard-showing-hatti-takey-tank-elephants.jpg

24-This is the place where elephants used to drink water and take a bath
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-24this-place-where-elephants-used-drink-water-take-bath.jpg

25-Entrance to Amruteshwar Temple
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-25entrance-amruteshwar-temple.jpg

26-Tree growing high and dry, where water cannot reach
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-26tree-growing-high-dry-where-water-cannot-reach.jpg

27-View of the back side of Sinhagad fort
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-27view-back-side-sinhagad-fort.jpg

28-Signboard showing Tanaji Kada and Kalavantin Buruj

With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-28signboard-showing-tanaji-kada-kalavantin-buruj.jpg
Old 31st December 2015, 18:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

After enough site seeing all of us were very hungry and ordered the famous "Zhunka-Bhakar" from one of the numerous stalls dotting the fort. After aboout 45 minutes wait we were served sizzling hot zhunka, bhakri, bharit and dahi. Some of us had butter milk. After we ate our hearts out and took some rest we started the descend. After about 30 minutes of walk with stoppages we reached our parking spot. After one more salute to the great Maratha king, Chattrapati Shivaji and his trusted warrior Tanaji Malusare we started our return journey. Since it was just half past three in the afternoon we decided to take the diversion towards, Kondhanapur, Khed shivapur to touch the highway (NH4).

29-Cars parked right on the road leading to the fort
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-29cars-parked-right-road-leading-fort.jpg

30-Straight road going to Pune and right diversion to NH4 (Khed Shivapur)
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-30straight-road-going-pune-right-diversion-nh4.jpg

31-Orange tank thinking which way to go
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-31orange-tank-thinking-way-go.jpg

32-The initial good patch of the road
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-32the-initial-good-patch-road.jpg

33-Then came the very bad patch

With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-33then-came-very-bad-patch.jpg

Fortunately the bad patch was just for 2-3 kms. After that the 8-9 kms road leading right to the highway was in pretty good condition

34-Now we were on NH4
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-34now-we-were-nh4.jpg

WHen we reached the Khed-Shivapur toll plaza we had to pay Rs 120/- as toll for return trip, wher we used the highway just for 10-12 kms. Few kms beyond the toll plaza we reached Kapurhol, where we had to take a left diversion to go to the Venkateshwara/ Balaji temple in Keth Kawale. We reached the temple @ 03:45pm, took the darshan, prasad and tea. Some snaps taken outside the temple (as cameras are not allowed inside the temple premises)

35-Kid enjoying the stroll on temple premises
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-35kid-enjoying-stroll-temple-premises.jpg

36-Another view of the temple complex
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-36another-view-temple.jpg

37-Good plantation on the road leading to the temple

With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-37good-plantation-road-leading-temple.jpg

SInce we still had some time left at our disposal, we decided to proceed to Narayanpur. Enroute one can see the Purandar fort. Some snaps of the fort taken from the car.

38-Purandar fort shot#1
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-38purandar-fort-shot1.jpg

39-Purandar fort close up shot#2
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-39purandar-fort-close-up-shot2.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 18:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

After about 9 kms and 20 minutes drive from Balaji temple, we reached the Narayaneshwar and Datta temple in Narayanpur. Some pictures taken there

40-The very old Narayaneshwar temple
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-40the-very-old-narayaneshwar-temple.jpg

41-The huge Pipal tree right at the temple entrance
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-41the-huge-pipal-tree-right-temple-entrance.jpg

42-The beautiful flower decoration around the shivling
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-42the-beautiful-flower-decoration-around-shivling.jpg

43-The recently renovated jagrut Datta temple

With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-43the-recently-renovated-jagrut-datta-temple.jpg

After spending half an hour in both the temples, we started our return journey to home. Enroute after the toll plaza we took a break to taste the yummy "Kailas Bhel" on NH4. The bhel and shev-puri were finger licking delicious. After spending half an hour over there, we reached home @ 07:30pm.

44-The famous Kailas Bhel joint on NH4
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-44the-famous-kailas-bhel-joint-nh4.jpg

Thus came to end an eventful first day of the trip.

Total distance covered - 148 km
Travel time - 04:49 hours
Stoppage time - 06:41 hours
Old 31st December 2015, 19:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Day#2 30-Dec-2015

Shivthar Ghal (via Bhor and Varandha Ghat)

ShreeSamarth Ramdas Swami was a revered saint of 17th century. He was highly respected and followed by Chattrapati Shivaji Maharaj. Shree Samarth himself was a bachelor throughout his life, but he has written the most important granth/ novel on how to lead a happy life called "Dasbodh". The place where this novel was written is located amongst the most picturesque and serene surroundings of the Sahyadri mountain range, called Shivthar Ghal. In Marathi language, ghal means a "cave". Reaching this place is an adventure in itself.

Again the same ritual followed the next day, getting up early, the ladies prepared the tiffins and off we started @ 09:00am. From Sinhagad road residence we touched the Katraj-DEhuroad bypass on NH4 and then the Ambegaon bypass on the via duct. The same toll receipt of earlier day was used as that was valid for 24 hours. We had to reach Bhor first. We had two options, take right from Kapurhol or take right from Shirval. Since we were not aware of Kapurhol diversion we decided to take the exit from Shirval. However due to road widening work most of the signboards have vanished and we missed the Bhor exit from Shirval. Fortunately we missed it by few hundred metres and took the first available "U" turn. We wanted to have breakfast at the Sriram joint on NH4, but missed that as well. Road to Bhor was pretty decent. On reaching the town, we discovered a small but very good hotel, Jayashree. Had Misal-Paav, Vada Rassa and Pohe for breakfast with tea.

01-Orange tank parked in front of hotel Jayashree
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-01orange-tank-parked-front-hotel-jayashree.jpg

02-Another shot of the tank in front of the hotel
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-02another-shot-tank.jpg

We then proceeded straight out of the town. After about 17 kms we came across a beautiful spot, that of the Nira-Devghar dam. Time for photo shoot

03-The first sight of the dam
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-03the-first-sight-dam.jpg

04-A lone palm tree overlooking the dam wall
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-04a-lone-palm-tree-overlooking-dam-wall.jpg

05-TUV admiring the serene dam waters
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-05tuv-admiring-serene-dam-waters.jpg

06-TUV seen from far away
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-06tuv-seen-far-away.jpg

07-TUV as seen up close
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-07tuv-seen-up-close.jpg

08-Time to leave this beautiful site
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-08time-leave-beautiful-site.jpg

09-One last parting shot of the dam
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-09one-last-parting-shot-dam.jpg

10-The winding road through lush green trees beckons
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-10the-winding-road-through-lush-green-trees-beckons.jpg
Old 31st December 2015, 19:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

The drive from this spot, Nira-Devghar dam right till the destination, Shivthar Ghal is one heck of a drive with multiple breath taking views. All through the winding road the Nira backwaters follow you, the waters sort of play hide and seek with you. We actually gave a miss to multiple such spots, but could not resist ourselves, when we came across this bridge, simply stupendo-fantabulous views all around. We let the scenery all around sink in.

11-Serene dam backwater on left hand side
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-11serene-dam-backwater-left-hand-side.jpg

12-Serene dam backwater on right hand side
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-12serene-dam-backwater-right-hand-side.jpg

13-TUV at the centre of the bridge
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-13tuv-centre-bridge.jpg

14-Front view of the tank with dam water in backdrop
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-14front-view-tank-dam-water-backdrop.jpg

15-Rear view of the tank with dam water in backdrop
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-15rear-view-tank-dam-water-backdrop.jpg

16-Another bridge, another view with less water
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-16another-bridge-another-view-less-water.jpg

17-Just the water and no TUV for a change
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-17just-water-no-tuv-change.jpg

18-Cheetah's sibling in the jungle
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-18cheetahs-sibling-jungle.jpg

19-The parting shot from the bridge
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-19the-parting-shot-bridge.jpg
Old 31st December 2015, 20:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

After playing hide and seek with the backwaters for almost 25 kms, the water on the left hand side suddenly disappears, you climb up in the jungle and when you are thinking that this is the end of the beautiful game the water was playing, there comes a sight to behold, the deadly Varandha ghat, with deep valleys and mountains surrounding them appear from nowhere. The enormity of the mountains and valleys make us feel that we are a mere dot in this creation of nature. There is a tiny hamlet at the end of this ghat called "Varandh", hence the name of the ghat. Enjoy the pictures

20-The first sight of the Varandha ghat. The thin white line running across the central mountain is the road
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-20the-first-sight-varandha-ghat.jpg

21-Straight stretches like this are far and few between, else it is only curves and bends all throughout
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-21.jpg

22-TUV getting the feel of the Varandha ghat
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-22tuv-getting-feel-varadha-ghat.jpg

23-Another view of the TUV in the ghat, notice the fogs are on
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-23another-view-tuv-ghat-notice-fogs-.jpg

24-TUV still admiring the beauty of the nature
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-24tuv-still-admiring-beauty-nature.jpg

25-TUV as seen from some distance behind a rock cliff
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-25tuv-seen-some-distance-behind-rock-cliff.jpg

26-Everyone's getting in and gearing to go for the next stop
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-26everyones-getting-gearing-go-next-stop.jpg

27-The road side stalls are thronged by revellers when this place is dotted by numerous waterfalls in monsoon
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-27.jpg

28-Valley seen up - close
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-28valley-seen-up-close.jpg

29-Another view of the valley, observe the various rock layers, awesome view (Grand Canyon-esque?)
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-29another-view-valley-observe-various-rock-layers-awesome-view.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 21:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

30-The road simply disappears from here
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-30the-road-simply-disappears-here.jpg

31-TUV hunting for the road ahead
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-31tuv-hunting-road-ahead.jpg

32-Vertical shot to cover the whole cliff

With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-32vertical-shot-cover-whole-cliff.jpg

From the shot above it seems that the road simply disappears and indeed it does as it takes a complete "U" turn to go to the other side of the mountain. From here on the sharp descend starts. There are a number of nerve wrecking hair-pin bends, which one has to manouvre very carefully. Sorry guys no pictures of those beautiful hair-pin curves as I thought it was too risky to stop on those curves to capture some shots and the folks with me were too naive to capture them either. They were simply awestruck and didn't dare to hold the camera. Wish some BHPIan would have accompanied me to capture those beauties in my camera. After covering almost 80% of the descend, on the right hand side we came across on arch pointing way to Shivthar Ghal, just 6 kms from there, but with warning only small vehicles allowed. We stopped there for a moment and recollected the words of the hotel owner where we had breakfast in the morning. He had clearly instructed not to take that road as it was not motorable and take the detour from Barasgaon. Momentarily I thought what the heck if I cannot drive the tank through that road. Hence we diverted the TUV through the Mazheri-Parmachi-Sunebhau route. Initial kilometer and a half was driveable, but then sharp descends started and the road got from bad to worse. There were loose boulders on sharp hair pin bends and the carriage way was such that only one car can go, there was no chance another one coming from opposite side can cross it. All the TUV occupants were cursing me for taking this route, but I was progressing slowly but steadily. I couldn't dare to put the car in second gear, it was only first gear, right foot on brake and the left on clutch. There was one sharp right hander, where the TUV almost tilted. I had a heart in mouth situation, stopped there for a moment, checked that the car is not loosing its poise and balance, juggled between clutch and brake and somehow crossed it. This jugglery continued for almost 4 kms. Finally we could spot some habitat and all were relieved after finally reaching the destination.

33-The first left hander hair pin bend
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-33the-first-left-hander-hair-pin-bend.jpg

34-One of the few sign posts with mountains and valley in backdrop
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-34one-few-sign-posts-mountains-valley-backdrop.jpg

35-Road vanishing in the jungle, notice the rock patch at the top
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-35road-vanishing-jungle-notice-rock-patch-top.jpg

36-TUV finally reaching the destination after a torturous 6km nightmare
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-36tuv-finally-reaching-destination-after-torturous-6km-nightmare.jpg

37-The entrance arch, Sunder Math - Shivthar Ghal
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-37the-entrance-arch-sunder-math-shivthar-ghal.jpg

38-Spot the TUV contest
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-38spot-tuv-contest.jpg

39-At least now you can spot it, resting peacefully under tree shade
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-39at-least-now-you-can-spot-resting-peacefully-under-tree-shade.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 21:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nice update on the TUV and beautifully narrated travelogue AutoIndian

Good to see that you have tested TUV on both good & bad terrains and extracted the juice out of it. Wish to see more updates from you
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 22:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Some pictures of the holy place inside the cave and surroundings

40-The naturally formed cave where Dasbodh was written
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-40the-naturally-formed-cave-where-dasbodh-written.jpg

41-The idols of Ramdas Swami and Kalyan Swami his disciple in the cave in glass enclosure
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-41the-idols-ramdas-swami-kalyan-swami-his-disciple.jpg

42-Plaque mentioning the date of idol pratisthapana
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-42plaque-mentioning-date-idol-pratisthapana.jpg

43-We had few moments of meditation in front of the idols
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-43we-had-few-moments-meditation-front-idols.jpg

44-My daughter admiring the cave
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-44my-daughter-admiring-cave.jpg

45-The place is surrounded by think vegetation and mountains on all 4 sides
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-45the-place-surrounded-think-vegetation-mountains-all-4-sides.jpg

46-What's going on down over there wondering these Ram bhakts
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-46whats-going-down-over-there-wondering-these-ram-bhakts.jpg

47-Both creatures checking either sides if some eatables are being offered
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-47both-creatures-checking-either-sides-if-some-eatables-being-offered.jpg

48-Seen here is water trickling down, but in monsoon this is a huge waterfall covering the cave

With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-48seen-here-water-trickling-down-but-monsoon.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 22:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

After offering our prayers and thanking God for enabling us to come to this holy place we started our return journey. This time I didn't dare to take the route through which we had descended and I took the detour. 6kms of torture track was now replaced by 25kms of smooth winding road. After climbing up the ghat both my parents succumbed to motion sickness and we had to make an unforseen stop to help them recover. Some pictures taken on the return leg of the journey. Also from Bhor we touched NH4 at Kapurhol, that stretch of the road is super smooth.

49-The road, the river and the mountains
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-49the-road-river-mountains.jpg

50-The forceful stop to recover from motion sickness
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-50the-forceful-stop-recover-motion-sickness.jpg

51-The water bodies again started following us
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-51the-water-bodies-again-started-following-us.jpg

52-The TUV halted on one of the curves.
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-52the-tuv-halted-one-curves.jpg

53-The roadway and waterway going parallel to each other
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-53the-roadway-waterway-going-parallel-each-other.jpg

54-Another shot of the backwater
With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-54another-shot-backwater.jpg

55-The parting shot

With my TUV300 to Sinhagad Fort, Balaji Temple, Narayanpur & Shivthar Ghal-55the-parting-shot.jpg

We started the return journey @ 03:00pm and reached home @ 06:10pm after taking a forceful break and a tea break. Thus came to end the second day of our trip

Total distance covered - 284.4 km
Travel time - 06:53 hours
Stoppage time - 05:07 hours
AutoIndian is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 22:35   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

22-TUV getting the feel of the Varandha ghat
Attachment 1455125
Pic no.22 is a very fine shot.

I admire your patient painstakingly compiled posts
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 22:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Pic no.22 is a very fine shot.

I admire your patient painstakingly compiled posts
Thank you vigsom for your compliments. I agree the sun rays in that shot make it very special. Mind you this was shot on mobile camera (Xolo Era HD) at 8Mp resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Nice update on the TUV and beautifully narrated travelogue AutoIndian

Good to see that you have tested TUV on both good & bad terrains and extracted the juice out of it. Wish to see more updates from you
Thanks mate for your compliments. My TUV was dying for this day and such a trip, poor soul had to wait for almost two months. The sharper approach and exit angles helped the TUV cross the torture track without scraping its underbody even once. The high profile tyres also helped it tackle the broken roads in a better way. Inspite of the high GC the TUV is quite stable on curvy roads, not even once I had any kind of nervousness. Finally M&M has got it spot on, a car suitable both for highways as well as rural roads for people on tight budget.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks