Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2016, 21:18   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)

12 Dec 2015

It's been 4 months since the last trip, the itch to pack bags and head out of town has been on since a while. However, thanks to some commitments it was not possible to put it to action.

Finally, decided to end the year by going on a weekend drive. River Tern lodge, run by Jungle Lodges and Resort has been on our bucket list since a while. May be since the place is relatively far from Bangalore, it was easier to get rooms here compared to other resorts of the Jungle lodges property. Booking done online, we make a lazy start at 05:40 AM from Bangalore.

We take NICE road and reach Tumkur road by around 6:30 AM.

Tumkur road as always is a pain with heavy traffic. A late start from Bangalore means we have to go through a sea of private vehicles too.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4276.jpg

We decided to drive through Tumkur town instead of taking the bye-pass, I feel the bye-pass is a slower option for Tumkur early in morning. On reaching NH 206, the drive was smoother.

This is one of my favorite roads, superb scenery and a two lane road maintained good.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4282.jpg

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4294.jpg

However, compared to the earlier trip in July, roads have started to deteriorate at certain patches.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4286.jpg

We stop for having a coffee break at Cafe Coffee day past Arsikere.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-jpeg.jpg

After coffee, we have the packed breakfast which we were carrying and start at 09:25 AM after a half hour break.

Roads between Arsikere and Kadur is still holding up, however past Kadur till Tarikere, there were few patches which were bad. Though bad sections were small and far between, it was bad enough to damage tyre if you are do not notice them on time.

Few KM's past Tarikere we take left towards JLR.

The turn off has signboards of Kuvempu university, Jungle lodges and Bhadra wildlife sanctuary.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4398.jpg

Initial ~5KM's or so of this road is of good surface

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4403.jpg

Past that road condition is bad

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4418.jpg

The last 1 KM or so towards the resort has no roads thanks to ongoing canal work. However, the gravel road is levelled good and you do not have to worry about ground clearance anywhere.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4433.jpg

We reach the resort at 11:10 AM.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4436.jpg

We had asked for Cottage No 21 during booking, the same was pre allotted to us. Check-in involves just making an entry of your name and details and we were guided to the cottage.

River tern lodge is divided into two parts. The main section, which consists of parking, office, reception and dining room, is located along with rooms which are names as 'Logged huts' by Jungle lodges. They are not logged huts in true sense, but part logged and part cement structure.

Then there is another recent addition to the resort located some 300 meter walk from the main entrance - here is what JLR calls cottages, these are located on a small island connected to land by a hanging bridge. We had booked our cottage here.

Rope way which connects to island

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4462.jpg

Walkway to cottages on the island

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4461.jpg

Our cottage

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4460.jpg

View from cottage, do note the neighbour on the tree

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4455.jpg

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4444.jpg

Mandatory restroom pic

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4449.jpg

Itinerary

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4458.jpg

Lunch timings are another couple of hours from now, so I decide to roam around the property.

Found this beauty in the garage, resting along with safari jeeps.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4465.jpg

Log Huts visible from the island.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4466.jpg

Once that done, got immersed in nature magazines available at resort.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4468.jpg

Last edited by mpksuhas : 15th January 2016 at 00:30.
mpksuhas is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 23:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)

The resort gives an option of taking boat and jeep safari. We decide to opt for jeep safari in evening and take the boat safari next day morning.

To our surprise there are only 4 people including us who had opted for jeep safari for evening. That means just one jeep in the entire reserve. Compared to other safaris taken till now, this was a welcome change.

After tea and snacks we head off for the safari around 04:00 PM.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4477.jpg

Bhadra is a birders paradise, we started our safari with a Blue headed rock thrush.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4482.jpg

Langur

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4499.jpg

Monitor lizard

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4505.jpg

Malabar Pied Hornbill

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4516.jpg

Oriental magpie robin

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4524.jpg

Chestnut-headed bee-eaters - Trick question, how many bee eaters are there in the pic

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4530.jpg

We reach back at resort by around 06:00 PM

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4548.jpg

Once darkness falls, decide to try a long exposure trick with an LED torch

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4567.jpg

Last edited by mpksuhas : 15th January 2016 at 00:32.
mpksuhas is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 18:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

13 - Dec - 2015

We wake up early and get ready for boat safari. After a quick tea and biscuit session near reception we get onto the boat.

Boat pic taken previous day -

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4463.jpg

Sunrise over reservoir

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4575.jpg

White Breasted Kingfisher -

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4577.jpg

White Browed Wagtail

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4582.jpg

Bramhini Kite

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4596.jpg

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4743.jpg

Great Cormorant

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4672.jpg

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4684.jpg

Great Egret

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4619.jpg

Fish Eagle / Osprey

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4645.jpg

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4779.jpg

Grey Headed Fish Eagle

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4718.jpg

Gaur

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4628.jpg

In mammals, apart from the Gaur we spotted a few Sambars, couple of elephants and spotted deer.

By around 09:00 AM we return back to the resort.

View of resort from reservoir. On left side cottages on island are visible connected via hanging bridge to the mainland. Log huts and other buildings are on the right.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4801.jpg

Back at resort we have a heavy breakfast and check out at around 11:00 AM.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 15th January 2016 at 00:38.
mpksuhas is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 21:26   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Amruthapura Temple - Amrutheshwara temple

Since the temple is near to Tarikere, we decided to make a small detour and visit the temple.

We cross Tarikere and head couple of KM's towards Kadur / Birur on NH 206, from here we take a left detour towards temple. This road is bit patchy for initial few KM's till it joins another road from SH 24 - Samantala. For our return journey we take this route to join SH 24 and found the road in good condition.

The 30 odd KMs from resort to temple takes around 50 minutes due to this.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4838.jpg

Parking space next to road

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4839.jpg

Temple main gate

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4842.jpg

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4852.jpg

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4845.jpg

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4846.jpg

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4850.jpg

The temple is managed by ASI and there is some renovation work going on currently.

Strangely, caretaker instructed against taking pictures of the main building (not the idol, but building interiors). Have never faced this issue earlier in any other ASI maintained temples.

It is sad; considering the carvings are detailed and beautiful like other Hoysala temples in Karnataka. After spending some 15 minutes we start off at 12:05 PM.

We take the same route taken during our onward journey till Arsikere and then decide to take SH 7 to Channarayapattana and join NH 48.

We reach Arsikere around 01:15 PM and take the right turn to SH 7. This is the first time I am driving on this road and would suggest anyone heading towards Arsikere or further to take this as a faster option to regular NH 206. SH 7 is well maintained with minimal traffic.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-suh_4935.jpg

On reaching Channarayapattana we take NH 48 and stop at our usual pit stop - Mayura hotel for a late lunch at 02:35 PM.

Lunch done we start at 03:20 PM, reach NICE road Hosur road exit at 05:00 PM.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 15th January 2016 at 00:43.
mpksuhas is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 21:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Epilogue

Onward route

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-onward.jpg

Link

Return route

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-return.jpg

Link

Epilogue
  • Total KM's 631
  • Do take NH 48 - Arsikere route in case you want to save more time
  • Around Kunigal bye-pass a KA police speed interceptor is a regular feature
  • Fuel bunks are many enroute, however not sure of the quality
  • Do request for cottages 21 to 25 for better view of the reservoir
  • This is easily the least crowded national park around Bangalore
  • Bangalore TBHPians had a weekend overnighter to this resort couple of years back. Link
  • Route threads - Link1 Link2

Last edited by mpksuhas : 15th January 2016 at 00:45.
mpksuhas is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 17:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

I had been to River Tern almost 5-6 years back, when I got my 70-200 F4. Though its not a birding lens, but did catch quite some. River Tern is one of the best places to rest and laze in all of JLR properties. Hope you visited the other side to catch a downstream view as well.

Last edited by ampere : 17th January 2016 at 14:48.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 20:44   #7
BHPian

Re: Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)

Nice as usual.
Think it is a test-drive for your newly acquired 300mm and yeah the pictures have come out well indeed.
Ddrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 23:53   #8
BHPian

Hey, that's a wonderful piece of travelogue.

I must comment that your knowledge of birds is ...better than mine!!

Keep up the good work.

Last edited by nda992 : 16th January 2016 at 23:53. Reason: spelling error
nda992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 09:36   #9
BHPian

Hi Suhas,

Superb pics and travelogue, would request you to provide details of the room tarriff is possible, any deal that one can get etc.

Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 12:12   #10
BHPian

Good writeup as usual. Haven't been to this place, should plan one.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 17:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
[b] River Tern is one of the best places to rest and laze in all of JLR properties. Hope you visited the other side to catch a downstream view as well.
Thanks Ampere.
Yes, out of all JLR properties I visited till now this is the most laid back place. Though, sighting wise Kabni is in another level, it is the most crowded place too.

No, we did not go all the way to downstream. Took a walk outside the property towards the dam in the evening of first day. However, thanks to a canal work the whole area is dug up and dusty. Hence decided to walk back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Nice as usual.
Think it is a test-drive for your newly acquired 300mm and yeah the
Thanks. Yes, a late test drive though. It is some 2 years since I purchased that lens. However, have got chance to use it only a handful of times till now. Yet to get a hang of capturing birds in full zoom, more so when you are seated in boat. Due to which you can notice that many of the pics haven't come crispy as it should have.

Also, please do correct if any birds are named wrongly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda992 View Post
I must comment that your knowledge of birds is ...better than mine!!
Thanks. I am a newbie birder Most of the birds I had captured are common ones, hence was able to identify them. As I mentioned above, do let know if any birds are named wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
details of the room tarriff is possible, any deal that one can get etc.
Thanks Shailesh. Yes, I shoud have mentioned that too.
I had booked room online from Jungle lodges and resorts website. Link . Do plan the bookings atleast one month in advance since it becomes tough to get rooms else. Also, online booking works best since they give a discount too. The total cost for two of us came to Rs. 13942 for one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Good writeup as usual. Haven't been to this place, should plan one.
Thanks. Yes, do plan a trip. As mentioned earlier this is a less crowded place.
Old 17th January 2016, 18:04   #12
BHPian

I always like the detours you take to introduce us to new but significant places.

Will visit this temple during my next trip to Shimoga.

Keep them coming..
anand_hc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 18:41   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_hc View Post
I always like the detours you take to introduce us to new but significant places.
Thanks. There are lot of places in KA which is out of tourism circle, the tough part is to search and get details about the same. Sometimes you get the info before the trip, most times it will be after that.

In case you are planning a trip towards that side do visit Ishwara temple also. Link
Old 17th January 2016, 22:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Excellent photos and a nice travelogue. Though I'm not remotely connected to IT, I aspire of living in Bangalore for an year only to do all the weekend destinations I've read about in all such triplogs
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 22:52   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Thanks Ampere.
Yes, out of all JLR properties I visited till now this is the most laid back place. Though, sighting wise Kabni is in another level, it is the most crowded place too.
Yes Kabini is quite crowded. And you just cant go to Kabini to laze around. Also another big item which is a downer for folks who just want to enjoy at JLR is the fact that there is no room service and food is served at a specified time. I do the understand the reasons and yes its a small price to pay, but yet its a downer for many.

Quote:
No, we did not go all the way to downstream. Took a walk outside the property towards the dam in the evening of first day. However, thanks to a canal work the whole area is dug up and dusty. Hence decided to walk back.
This is what you missed ! Taken some 5-6 years back.

Wanderlust Traveller: River Tern Lodge, Bhadra & Amruthapura Temple (KA)-img_3850_dpp_lr_lr.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 18th January 2016 at 17:38.
ampere is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed