Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2016, 09:18   #31
BHPian

Re: Winter Himachal in a White Thar

Hi BlackPearl,

You drove Kolkata- Kandaghat, a distance of 1850 KM like one would do Kolkata-Puri or Siliguri. You even inspired SS-Traveller to beat his own records of numerous Kolkata- Delhi trip in single stretch. . I am sure he has done much longer trips, which he needs to fish out again.

I have driven to most of places, which you covered this time but I must admit it looked much better, when seen through your photographs. Thanks for bringing this up.

Coming to your Delhi Karim's Meet, Oh God this Delhi-Kolkata Nexus of B-BHPians is driving me crazy in a better sense. Keep it going.

Last edited by Wanderers : 29th January 2016 at 09:24.
Wanderers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 10:45   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Wrong, for a strictly average photographer like me, even more difficult is to scan through the hordes of pics and choose the ones that are decent enough to be put up on team-bhp.
Simply Good - Simple Narrative and Good Photographs! What else do you look for in a travelogue? Your 10 year old SLR is still going strong as your 10 years of married life

Quote:
He showed me that one of the bolts of the lower arm on one side had fallen off and another one on the other side was just about to fall off, Bill amount came to Rs. 289
That was nice of you remembering Mr. Sameer and he reciprocating with a quick fix.

Quote:
I was following a Punjab registered Dzire which was superbly driven. I was thanking my lucky stars for finding such a vehicle amidst the deteriorating conditions. However my joy was short-lived as the Dzire met with an accident
My brother always does this, tailing a vehicle. But, somehow I don't get that confidence while tailing. Don't you think it is dangerous to tail, especially during foggy conditions?

Your stays have been in Club Mahindra, any specific reason for choosing them, what were the costing?

Quote:
Day 1 and 2 : Kolkata - Kandaghat (1850 kms) & Day 8 and 9: Kanatal - Kolkata (1750 kms)
This is awesome in Thar. How was the feeling after such an herculean continuous drive? Your Thar must be a very proud boy now, like you? Thank you for the share!
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 13:13   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Who said you can not take good photographs? And your decade old camera still does good duty.

Beautiful narration, pictures and darn good distances covered. And my best wishes on a decade of togetherness
Thanks a lot Sheel! It is the place Sheel. Chitkul is so beautiful that you don't need to do any framing, just point and shoot and the pic comes out nice. Good photographers like Samba, Himadri, Rudra Da and many others on this forum can create work of art if they visit Chitkul during winter. By the way, many of these pics were taken on the One Plus 2. Amazing phone I must say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose.solorider View Post
Nice travelogue Dada , we Bengali's have a passion for traveling and that was very evident from your trip
Thanks a lot Jose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Almost 2000 kilometers at a stretch! Kudos to your endurance! With the white Thar at the center stage you really do not need any better gear/skill for the photos to remain etched in the minds of us readers. Belated congratulations on your 10th anniversary and here's hoping you find many such reasons to travel and awe us with such amazing travelogues.
Thanks mi2n. Absolutely true, the Thar looks beautiful in any surrounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Fantastic Travelogue and wonderful pictures. The Thar is too good and I am very happy I have one as well. You are a master of doing long drives !

Swami
Thanks Swami! Too bad that I could not meet you last time in Chennai. Hopefully next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A beautifully described travelogue with equally tempting photographs, which are worth savouring over and over again. I just read through the t'log a second time now.

Then I read the bit right at the end about...
...and I suddenly come to my senses - how many years has it been, that I've spent 34+ hours at the wheel, on the road, powernapping at dhabas, driving on irrespective of weather conditions...? Somehow, your travelogue forces me to believe I am getting old! Really got to do something about it soon. Just you wait!
Thanks SS Da and come on, you are the guru of long-distance travelling.

Quote:
And this was downright embarrassing...

Heck, suspension bolts working loose and falling off soon after you change wheels and tyres, leading to a steering wobble - that's a bigger puzzle than a 5-star Sudoku! Glad nothing happened, but then, it's a learning experience for me too.
SS da, first of all it was impossible to diagnose this issue sitting at a distance of 1450 Kms. On top of that swapping the tyres at the last moment was motive enough to put the blame on them. But it is surely a learning experience.

Quote:
I thought you knew us a little better than that...
...but obviously you wanted to try out on your own all the gyan detailed here!
Next time surely!! And the article is fabulous.

Quote:
You travelled...
...i.e. https://goo.gl/maps/akUo8umFz6r, though my favourite route is https://goo.gl/maps/JWAUw2ab4gG2 if in a 4wd or high-GC vehicle. Well, there's always a next time!
Thanks, yes next time.

Quote:
And one last thought...
This is getting to be a habit and needs curtailment, because...

We're running up too high a credit score, methinks. Until Karim's gives us a discount soon enough for Team-BHP Kolkata Chapter meats, this practice will become quite unaffordable too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurthvader View Post
Happy Returns!!!
Its your anniversary
&
we get the gift...
A very well written travelogue
crisp, to the point & thoroughly entertaining.
Tapri Sangla Chitkul, the roads are bad & the drive slow but the landscape more than makes up for it.
although i recently did this while going to Spiti but after reading your travelogue, i feel like going back there again
& yes---your THAR looks- gorgeous
Thanks a lot gurthvader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
Hello BlackPearl!
Loved each and every bit of your travelogue. Your Thar looks amazing and the pictures were just awesome. Keep your travelogues coming and keep inspiring us.

Regards
Aakarsh
Thanks a lot Aakarsh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
Reading this beautiful travelogue inspires me to take the girlfriend out to the Himalayas soon as well, your day 1&2/8&9 leaves no excuse for us dilliwalas to not take such trips more often! The white Thar looks exquisite!
Lol... yes please do the trips and write the travelogues. Thanks for the nice words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi BlackPearl,

You drove Kolkata- Kandaghat, a distance of 1850 KM like one would do Kolkata-Puri or Siliguri. You even inspired SS-Traveller to beat his own records of numerous Kolkata- Delhi trip in single stretch. I am sure he has done much longer trips, which he needs to fish out again.
Ha ha ha, SS-Traveller is a guru, no comparison!

Quote:
I have driven to most of places, which you covered this time but I must admit it looked much better, when seen through your photographs. Thanks for bringing this up.
Thanks a lot Wanderers!

Quote:
Coming to your Delhi Karim's Meet, Oh God this Delhi-Kolkata Nexus of B-BHPians is driving me crazy in a better sense. Keep it going.
Lol.. but as per SS da's last comment I think this will not happen any more :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Simply Good - Simple Narrative and Good Photographs! What else do you look for in a travelogue? Your 10 year old SLR is still going strong as your 10 years of married life
Thanks LoneRidder!

Quote:
My brother always does this, tailing a vehicle. But, somehow I don't get that confidence while tailing. Don't you think it is dangerous to tail, especially during foggy conditions?
I usually don't tail vehicles, but in foggy conditions it is easier to tail a vehicle specially if it is a big bus or truck. Maintaining a safe distance is the key.

Quote:
Your stays have been in Club Mahindra, any specific reason for choosing them, what were the costing?
I am a Club Mahindra member. There is no cost to stay as it has already been paid upfront. Food is separate.

Quote:
This is awesome in Thar. How was the feeling after such an herculean continuous drive? Your Thar must be a very proud boy now, like you? Thank you for the share!
Both the Thar and the driver are used to it: last July I drove the Thar non-stop from Kolkata to Chennai (1800 plus kilometers) in 29 hours and that too alone :-D

Last edited by BlackPearl : 29th January 2016 at 13:16.
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 16:34   #34
BHPian

Excellent travelogue Black Pearl. White thar, white snow and your supreme write up is a feast for us readers.
You are an avid night driver. How did the thar behave on the twisties and how comfortable it was??
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 20:07   #35
BHPian

@BlackPearl Excellent travelogue with beautiful photographs and great narrative. Just one word, AWESOME!!! Rated five stars. It's always nice to interact with like minded fellow BHPian who is a travel enthusiast. This very trip reminds me of my maiden trip to the Spiti Valley of Himachal Pradesh, which I did in a Swift Dzire (Petrol) at the fag end of the season in October last. Would share the experience here on this forum.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 21:53   #36
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue Sumitro Daa. Had a great time reading it and going through the fabulous pictures. The Sherpa looks absolutely beautiful in some of the frames. It is undoubtedly the best looking Thar that I have seen.

Kudos to you for taking up this journey and driving at a stretch for such a long duration of time.

Also, I would like to ask you a question. While going for long drives, which parameters decide the vehicle that you'd be taking, the Sherpa or the Tusker?

Last of all, here's wishing you a very Happy New Year and wish you will keep us entertained with your write ups in the years to come.

Neel

P.S: Rating this thread what it deserves, 5 *!

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 29th January 2016 at 22:20.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 10:19   #37
BHPian

@BlackPearl Sir how was the overall performance of Thar during the Himalayan drive. Is yours a 2WD or a 4WD?
Old 30th January 2016, 15:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though I love the mountains I cannot stand too much cold. If I had stayed back at Chitkul for one night I am sure I would not be writing this travelogue :-D
That's why Summers are also attractive with vibrant colours, especially lucrative for personal celebrations.

Like this, also has a Jeep in the end.

1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 10:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant write up Sumitro, and a happy 10th anniversary to you and Rajsri! Lovely pics, very crisply written and of course yet again an awe inspiring road trip. The Club Mahindra membership seems to be paying off!
razor4077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 17:18   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Excellent travelogue Black Pearl. White thar, white snow and your supreme write up is a feast for us readers.
You are an avid night driver. How did the thar behave on the twisties and how comfortable it was??
Thanks behaln! Yes I do love to drive at night and the stock headlights of the Thar are good enough for me. I had installed Hellas initially but removed them after one trip as they were bouncing a lot on bad roads. The Thar behaves better than Bolero on the twisties but it is not a comfortable vehicle. It is fun to drive in the hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
@BlackPearl Excellent travelogue with beautiful photographs and great narrative. Just one word, AWESOME!!! Rated five stars. It's always nice to interact with like minded fellow BHPian who is a travel enthusiast. This very trip reminds me of my maiden trip to the Spiti Valley of Himachal Pradesh, which I did in a Swift Dzire (Petrol) at the fag end of the season in October last. Would share the experience here on this forum.
Thanks a lot ssambyal! Please do post your travelogue. October must be beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Wonderful travelogue Sumitro Daa. Had a great time reading it and going through the fabulous pictures. The Sherpa looks absolutely beautiful in some of the frames. It is undoubtedly the best looking Thar that I have seen.
Thanks ton Neel!

[quote=petrolhead_neel;3901265]
Kudos to you for taking up this journey and driving at a stretch for such a long duration of time.
Also, I would like to ask you a question. While going for long drives, which parameters decide the vehicle that you'd be taking, the Sherpa or the Tusker?

If the transport section is long we prefer to take the Thar, else it is the Bolero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Last of all, here's wishing you a very Happy New Year and wish you will keep us entertained with your write ups in the years to come.
Neel
P.S: Rating this thread what it deserves, 5 *!
Thanks once again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
@BlackPearl Sir how was the overall performance of Thar during the Himalayan drive. Is yours a 2WD or a 4WD?
It is a 4WD. All I can say is the performance of the Thar has put a big smile on my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
That's why Summers are also attractive with vibrant colours, especially lucrative for personal celebrations.
Like this, also has a Jeep in the end.
Yes, will plan to go there in summer as well and thanks for sharing the video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Brilliant write up Sumitro, and a happy 10th anniversary to you and Rajsri! Lovely pics, very crisply written and of course yet again an awe inspiring road trip. The Club Mahindra membership seems to be paying off!
Thanks a lot razor4077. It has been over a year since we last met. Lets plan for something if you can take some time out of your hectic schedule. I really miss the old meets.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot razor4077. It has been over a year since we last met. Lets plan for something if you can take some time out of your hectic schedule. I really miss the old meets.
Yea man, it's been ages. I think we last met when we were doing the torture test on the duster awd (arranged by Sayantan)! Haven't even seen your thar in person.
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:16   #42
BHPian

Lovely write up and equally good photos. Deserves 5 star.

First I quickly glanced all the photos, then I read your travelogue. What you have written in first para is hard to believe.

You have covered lots of miles in this trip driving Thar with a soft top. Any security risks (valuables, gadgets) especially on highways during late night drives?

Congrats to you both for successfully crossing 10th milestone. Hats off to you and Thar as well.
Nempuguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:14   #43
BHPian

Beautiful narration with amazing pictures. I just love your Thar. You turned my color choice black to white. Keep writing my dear friend.
Jeevan Sukumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2016, 12:32   #44
BHPian

This is real adventure. I wouldn't attempt driving at night, or even 500 kms in the hills in one day. You and that kid have some real mettle.
Oreen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 18:55   #45
BHPian

Quote:

The trip itinerary in short -
Day 1 and 2 : Kolkata - Kandaghat (1850 kms)
Day 3 : Kandaghat - Chail and back (60 kms)
Day 4 : Kandaghat - Mashobra (40 kms)
Day 5 : Mashobra - Chitkul and Back (520 kms)
Day 6 : Mashobra - Kanatal (350 Kms)
Day 7 : Kanatal - Tehri Dam and back (70 kms)
Day 8 and 9: Kanatal - Kolkata (1750 kms)
Another enriching travelogue with superb pictures. It will inspire many newbies like me to embark on this route in upcoming years.

Quote:
I am a Club Mahindra member. There is no cost to stay as it has already been paid upfront. Food is separate.
The Club Mahindra resorts are lovely. I checked their site and they seem to have 25 years membership contract
http://www.clubmahindra.com/membership/overview
Do you mind sharing which season package you opted for and the approx costs involved. Also is it open for all car owners or just mahindra ?
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks