Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2016, 16:25   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
Any feedback/Reviews for Mihin Airlines - Chennai to Colombo?
Though it is said that Mihin Lanka is a low cost airline subsidiary of Srilankan, yet they board the passengers of both airlines in the same flight (even though the pricing may be different). At least, that's what I saw in the airports during my trip there.

Srilankan is a good airline with courteous staff, good meals and in-flight entertainment (content in English, Hindi, Tamil, Sinhalese, etc). However, you can expect 30 min to 45 min delay in their departure timings. We experienced this delay in both to & fro flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Neat Review grkonweb, you nicely covered most of the tiny details of the trip.

I was planning a trip sometime this October and your review will surely be of good help.
My plan is to stay couple of nights in Kandy(hills) and spend couple of more in Bentota(and cover galle perhaps) for a 5-6 day trip.

Few queries:
1. Most of the hotels in India have checkin timings at Noon. So considering the flight landing at night, Do they allow early checkin ?or you have to pay extra ?

2. Does Srilanka receive rains during june-august or october-dec. ? I saw some of your pics capturing rain. Just trying to avoid peak rainy season if it falls in October

3. Turtle hatchery, Any specific breeding season ? Will i be able to make some plan for this during October ?

4. I seriously wanted to do this Whale watching, but after reading about the sea sickness, I think i will skip it. Some pics would have been of great help.

5. How is the availability of Indian(south) food ? I first thought Srilankan food will be pretty same, but for someone who is pure veg, i am thinking if it is wise to stay close to indian restaurants.

Thanks Rajshenoy for the compliments. Here are my responses to your queries that I've tried answering my best:

1. Some hotels do charge early check-in charges, but by building rapport with the booking clerk we got it waived off. It depends on the hotels' policies. IMHO if you book hotel via booking websites, I don't think they will waive off early check-in charges. Better call up the hotel directly & transact the waive off part.

2. Please check weather sites which are pretty accurate in their forecasts. In our trip too, the weather sites were spot on about rain on a particular day evening in Colombo & it did rain lightly.

3. Not sure when is the breeding season. In any case, you can see the active turtles in the water ponds.

4. I couldn't take pics due to the constant bobbing of our boat due to the waves. Also the whales surface only for few seconds. And dolphins too reveal themselves fleetingly when they jump over.

5. You have good number of Indian restaurants in Colombo, just check for Indian hotels in any food aggregation website you'll find the details with ratings. That's how we found about Mathura, Dwaraka and Shanmugas restaurants in Colombo. Check this: https://www.yamu.lk/indian-restaurants-in-colombo/

Have a great trip!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th October 2018 at 11:57. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Old 26th September 2018, 11:33   #32
BHPian

Re: A Family Holiday in Sri Lanka

I am planning family trip during Diwali to Srilanka and have prepared the following itenary. Will appreciate the feedback from the guys/gals who have visited this beautiful country and recommend the places not to be missed.

03-11-18 Arrival at Colombo International Airport Kandy

Procced to Kandy
Enroute visit the Pinnawala Elephant Orphange

04-11-18 Visit Sigiriya Rock Fortress. Kandy
Dambulla Cave Temples
the Temple of tooth Relic
Peradeniya Botanical Gardens

05-11-18 proceed to Nuwara Eliya. Nuwara Eliya
En route visit the Sri Baktha Hanuman temple
Local Siteseeing

06-11-18 *visit Seetha Amman Temple and Gayathri Peedam Nuwara Eliya
Tea gardens

07-11-18 proceed to Yala National Park. Yala National Park
afternoon, proceed for a wildlife safari

08-11-18 proceed to Mirissa Mirissa
Whale Sighting

09-11-18 Proceed to Bentota Bentota
Enroute visit Galle Harbor

10-11-18 Bentota City tour Bentota

11-11-18 Procced towards Colombo Colombo
Colombo sightseeing

12-11-18 Shopping in Colombo
5.00 pm Depart by Air India flight AI-274 Chennai
Old 30th September 2018, 08:00   #33
BHPian

Re: A Family Holiday in Sri Lanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_i View Post

08-11-18 proceed to Mirissa Mirissa
Whale Sighting

09-11-18 Proceed to Bentota Bentota
Enroute visit Galle Harbor

10-11-18 Bentota City tour Bentota

Your itinerary looks good. Few suggestions, in Galle, don't miss the fort, lots of photo ops. If you have time, visit the maritime museum.

For whale watching at Mirissa, you need to be there at the fishing harbor at 6.30 am. So plan to stay overnight at Mirissa if you want to board the boat early in the morning.

I'm not sure whether you need full day for Bentota sight seeing. It offers great views of the Indian ocean though. Of course, if you are staying there it's a great place to relax from a sea view room.

Have a great trip!

Most Viewed