Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2016, 16:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Shimla - Driving in Snow!

Wow... What a fantastic drive @bullrun87

Mesmerised with the pictures of fresh snow. Very well captured as well. This drive reminded me The White Travelogue by tsk1979 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-narkanda.html

You are really lucky for being a native to beautiful place like Shimla, I envy you for this
J_Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 20:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
Hey YoungSaint,
Although ABS will assist you in most snowy conditions, nothing really helps in slippery black/ clear ice. ABS can only help you if there is atleast some level of grip from the tyres.
It is best to avoid braking as much as possible and use constant throttle input to prevent sliding. Engine braking helps to slow the car down in a much slower and safer way than using the foot brake. I usually shift to a lower gear to slow down or ease off the throttle when in first gear. I also prefer running the car as much as possible on fresh snow instead of clear ice even if it means driving slightly on the side of the road.
Excellent advice bullrun-ji. Having stayed in snow-bound areas for close to 15 years, can't agree more. Just a few things to add for others:

FWD cars behave much better than RWD cars. If you are in a FWD car and your wheels start slipping, don't panic (easier said than done) and slowly start steering your car with mild accelerator input towards the spot where you want to go. No hard acceleration or braking, and no sudden turn of the steering wheel. If you are in a RWD car, its recommended to keep a bag of sand in your trunk. If you are in a 4WD vehicle, do not get overconfident. Once your wheels start slipping uncontrollably, 4WD won't matter, nor will the best electronic traction control in the world help. I have seen more 4WD vehicles in ditches during or after a heavy snow-storm than 2WD cars because of overconfidence of the 4WD drivers. Last October, I was driving my Scorpio on a heavy snow-bound Kunzum pass in Himachal, and with 4WD Low on, my speed was not more than 5 kmph. Tire-wise, the best option is to get snow tires with metal studs, or even better, with heavy duty snow-chains on, but that is not practical or even always available in India except with the military.
Ultimately, the key to driving on ice and snow is not to rush, take it really easy, and know your limits. Try to get knowledge from the locals before you venture to tackle a snowy mountain pass. You should be fine.
mr.sinha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 11:56   #18
BHPian

Beautiful pics and very much tempting. I can imagine the level of difficulty to drive on snow roads looking at the way the Scorpio guy drifted.

All said and done, you sowed a seed in my head to do a North (Leh-Ladakh drive) yet again this year.
Venku2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 11:39   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Man View Post

Mesmerised with the pictures of fresh snow. Very well captured as well. This drive reminded me The White Travelogue by tsk1979 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-narkanda.html
Thanks for the kind words. The white travelogue like others tanveer has written is simply amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
Excellent advice bullrun-ji. Having stayed in snow-bound areas for close to 15 years, can't agree more. Just a few things to add for others:
FWD cars behave much better than RWD cars. If you are in a FWD car and your wheels start slipping, don't panic (easier said than done) and slowly start steering your car with mild accelerator input towards the spot where you want to go. No hard acceleration or braking, and no sudden turn of the steering wheel. If you are in a RWD car, its recommended to keep a bag of sand in your trunk. If you are in a 4WD vehicle, do not get overconfident. Once your wheels start slipping uncontrollably, 4WD won't matter, nor will the best electronic traction control in the world help. I have seen more 4WD vehicles in ditches during or after a heavy snow-storm than 2WD cars because of overconfidence of the 4WD drivers. Last October, I was driving my Scorpio on a heavy snow-bound Kunzum pass in Himachal, and with 4WD Low on, my speed was not more than 5 kmph. Tire-wise, the best option is to get snow tires with metal studs, or even better, with heavy duty snow-chains on, but that is not practical or even always available in India except with the military.

Ultimately, the key to driving on ice and snow is not to rush, take it really easy, and know your limits. Try to get knowledge from the locals before you venture to tackle a snowy mountain pass. You should be fine.
That's some great advice sinha ji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
Beautiful pics and very much tempting. I can imagine the level of difficulty to drive on snow roads looking at the way the Scorpio guy drifted.

All said and done, you sowed a seed in my head to do a North (Leh-Ladakh drive) yet again this year.
Do come again, one can never get tired of doing the ladakh loop.
bullrun87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 16:50   #20
BHPian

I am scheduled to visit Fagu this weekend, and the IMD weather forecast says it is expected to rain/ snow during that time.

I have just started driving my petrol Swift car in hills. However, so far I have done only on good roads and good weather conditions, with little rain and foggy conditions- that's it.

Hence please suggest how should I prepare myself, what are the do's and don'ts and any pro tips on a snow covered road and ice+mud+slush covered roads.
I am basically a point-A to point-B type risk avoiding driver.

Tyre condition= 20k km 5 years old with couple of punctures.visibly remaining life is good (checked from tyre indicator).

Last edited by RijuC : 21st December 2021 at 16:52.
Old 17th January 2022, 14:40   #21
BHPian

A glimpse of the snowfall in Shimla, Janauary 2022

Hi All,
Shimla received moderate snowfall last week so I thought of sharing some images captured from my phone. I hope you will like them.
Attached Thumbnails
Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220108_103236.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220109_101135.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220110_074929.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220110_084442.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220110_084813.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220110_100552.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220110_100621.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220110_170303.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220110_170309.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220110_171100.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220110_171143.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220110_171258.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220110_171855.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220110_171913.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220110_171928.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220110_174313.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220113_173907.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-img_20220113_174010.jpg  

Shimla - Driving in Snow!-s1.jpg  

amit_shimla is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 15:24   #22
BHPian

Re: A glimpse of the snowfall in Shimla, Janauary 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_shimla View Post
Hi All,
Shimla received moderate snowfall last week ...
It looks dreamy to say the least !

However just out of curiosity, How long does snowfall usually lasts over there ? How do you folks manager commuting ? will normal vehicles make the cut or you will need only 4X4s ?
Old 19th January 2022, 11:57   #23
BHPian

Re: A glimpse of the snowfall in Shimla, Janauary 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
It looks dreamy to say the least !

However just out of curiosity, How long does snowfall usually lasts over there ? How do you folks manager commuting ? will normal vehicles make the cut or you will need only 4X4s ?
Snow in Shimla lasts for about a day or two depending on the amount we receive not like Manali where it can last for weeks. Since the snow is moderate here so normal vehicles are sufficient.
amit_shimla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 18:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

We are planning to visit Shimla from 24th to 27th Dec. Kids wanted to see snow but even in Kufri, no snow is predicted according to the weather forecast. T-Bhpians who are locals/familiar with Shimla/surroundings, please suggest any other place close by which might witness snow
Old 22nd December 2023, 18:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
We are planning to visit Shimla from 24th to 27th Dec. Kids wanted to see snow but even in Kufri, no snow is predicted according to the weather forecast. T-Bhpians who are locals/familiar with Shimla/surroundings, please suggest any other place close by which might witness snow
It is unusually hot here, even in the peak (usual snowy and bitterly cold) winter days. As per the forecast, the Lahaul region may receive another snowfall in coming days.
trippytragopan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks