Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2016, 10:43   #31
BHPian

Re: Lalu's first trip - Mumbai to Ajanta & Ellora

Brought in memories of the visit i made to both ajanta and ellora in 2012,i drove all the way from tiruvananthapuram.I felt the caves at ellora were more mesmerising by the sheer complexity of its construction.I really wonder how these people chiselled out so much rock, to make this wonderful monument which has withstood 1500 years.
vindrider2626 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 13:15   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunraizada View Post

Lonar is calling me especially after reading your travelogue !
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post

....I am more keen on Lonar though.
IMHO, Lonar as a stand alone destination does not make much sense. It is very interesting, no doubt and you can easily spend a half day or a full day if you decided to circumvent the lake at the bottom. But all said and done, if you are driving down from Mumbai, it makes more sense to club it with Aurangabad / Ajanta / Ellora / Ahemadnagar or the corresponding nearby religious destinations.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 23:30   #33
BHPian

Here I am trying to do a little official work, thought of a break and a random 'Ctrl+T' and another type of 'T' leads to me Team BHP homepage and the mention of Ajanta - Ellora!

I was born and raised in Aurangabad for the first 21 years of life and this simply reminds of the old days. To all visitors to Abad who ask me for advice, I highly speak of Ajanta and Daulatabad as a must-have visit. I would highly suggest you Daulatabad fort and the maze located there that might prompt you to read more on kingdoms at the time and their warfare. But beware, it is a trek in itself and I remember a lady selling a cup of water@20 rs on reaching the top. Smokers can get to test how effective lungs are after this climb.

Depending on Google Maps in small-town India is a classic mistake as always and it is better to take advice in advance. The problem is that these small towns might not have enough service centers or mechanics might not even be aware of working on cars from Fiat and VW. I am planning a trip to Nagpur from Mumbai on the coming bank holiday long weekend of 24 to 27 March. Google Maps is again suggesting a route alternate from NH6 which I am very skeptical about. This travelogue/trip helps me a lot in the same regards, thanks to your Malegaon-Chalisgaon-Ajanta adventure!

It was good to see that you have landed safely despite the night drive along NH222 and Malshej Ghat. This is the shortest route that I remember (back during Abad days) but not a single overnight bus or private cars took this route. It has been discussed about this route over TBHP and HVK himself has also certified that this Ahmednagar - Alephata - Kalyan route could be unsafe during nights and many vehicles go in a convoy. It was good to read regarding the road surface there and it motivates me to take up a bike/car tour there soon enough. It was definitely a smart thing that you did of not stopping along the route after Junnar dinner.

Speaking of Google Maps, I would suggest please do not fall for the so called Mumbai-Aurangabad-Nagpur Expressway that would be suggested on your next drive. THere is no such road and I have repented taking a short drive on the same!

Ajanta pics definitely brings a lot of memories and I personally found Ajanta to be far maintained than Ellora. Daulatabad is probably the most well protected fort in the world and Lonar is a bumpy ride with only the MTDC resort there for acco.

Coincidentally, I have recently shifted to BOM and I'm a newbie banker as well! It was excellent to read this travelogue, excellent pics and narration!
ameyawaghmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 13:30   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
IMHO, Lonar as a stand alone destination does not make much sense.

club it with Aurangabad / Ajanta / Ellora / Ahemadnagar or the corresponding nearby religious destinations.
True that - Especially when the roads don't support you too well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
Team BHP homepage and the mention of Ajanta - Ellora!
I was glad the mods found it worthy for that spot

Quote:
I would highly suggest you Daulatabad fort and the maze located there that might prompt you to read more on kingdoms at the time and their warfare. But beware, it is a trek in itself
Few questions
1) What is the view like when your reach the top?
2) How long is the trek?
3) How much time is decent time to spend at the fort, considering a lot of pictures will be taken

Quote:
HVK himself has also certified that this Ahmednagar - Alephata - Kalyan route could be unsafe during nights and many vehicles go in a convoy.

smart thing that you did of not stopping along the route after Junnar dinner.
That's quite scary and you are right, there were no buses / cars at all.

Quote:
Coincidentally, I have recently shifted to BOM and I'm a newbie banker as well! It was excellent to read this travelogue, excellent pics and narration!
I'll PM you, let's catch up
Old 26th February 2016, 15:16   #35
BANNED

Hi varunraizada,

A nice piece of travelogue indeed. Definitely a most helpful document for me as I am planning for a trip coming weekend .

Now thanks to you, I have taken your advice and planning to book a 'zoomcar' rather than taking my own car there. I don't know why the most beautiful places in Maharashtra are always comes with the worst road as a package.

Can you share few more information:
  1. How steeps are those stairs in Ajanta and Ellora? I will be traveling with my old parents with knee issues and my 2 year old. Is it doable? My dad is very much interested to visit those caves, so just wanted to check if he can make few of the caves, even if not all.
  2. How difficult it would be with a 2 year old? Like is it possible to move to the caves with a baby stroller?
Sorry to bug you down with too many questions. As I am traveling from Pune, I think till Ellora I will find good road, and only worry would be the Ajanta road. By the way, how is the road and traffic around Aurangabad.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 15:46   #36
BHPian

Hello Varunraizada. Thanks for writing this excellent travelogue of Ajanta & Ellora on a joyful Valentine weekend with Lalu. All the pictures are very beautiful and I must say, you know how to take the best out of your camera lenses. Some pictures look like they just came to life, straight from the history books.
Amit_Kapoor4750 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 17:06   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
How steeps are those stairs in Ajanta and Ellora? I will be traveling with my old parents with knee issues and my 2 year old. Is it doable? My dad is very much interested to visit those caves, so just wanted to check if he can make few of the caves, even if not all
Ajanta
The steps are extremely steep, very steep and normal (at various places)- The first flight of steps to get to the first cave is "EXTREMELY steep". Even people of my age were strained trying to overcome these.
So, in my opinion, Ajanta is a STRICT NO for your parents. They will be extremely strained to even climb one step of the first flight of steps, so it makes no sense.
Experience: There was an elderly couple whom we helped climb a few moderate steps and they were puffing for breath. Let your parents enjoy it through your photographs

Elora
Hardly any steps - but there are 200m walks on moderately steep inclines.
With some stress, I think they can manage this - Especially the Jain caves can be done and they are really beautiful

Quote:
How difficult it would be with a 2 year old? Like is it possible to move to the caves with a baby stroller?
Again, it is not possible in Ajanta as you will be busy taking care of yourself on those steps.

Elora - Yes you can manage most of the caves with the stroller as most of them have only 3 to 4 steps to climb to enter the caves (But I don't know if that is allowed - So you may want to check that once)

Quote:
By the way, how is the road and traffic around Aurangabad.
We bypassed Aurangabad totally - Did not enter it so can't answer that, but on the bypass road, the quality is brilliant

Quote:
I have taken your advice and planning to book a 'zoomcar' rather than taking my own car there. I don't know why the most beautiful places in Maharashtra are always comes with the worst road as a package.
If you are giving Ajanta a skip, you can take your own car as well - The drive is quite nice, but if you decide on Ajanta - Zoomcar definitely
varunraizada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 17:33   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Ajanta
So, in my opinion, Ajanta is a STRICT NO for your parents. They will be extremely strained to even climb one step of the first flight of steps, so it makes no sense.
Thanks man. Advise taken positively. Most likely I will skip Ajanta for a next time. I would rather use the time for the places around Aurangabad, as we are planning to make our base there.

Quote:
If you are giving Ajanta a skip, you can take your own car as well - The drive is quite nice, but if you decide on Ajanta - Zoomcar definitely
Still inclined to Zoom, rather than cramp 4 and 1/2 people and a baby seat to a hatch we can use those extra row for some breathing in a Scorpio or XUV. Also give a damn to the road.
I will refer your earlier post to influence my family though .
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 18:08   #39
BHPian

Great Car ! Great Roads ! Great Travelers ! Great Travelogue !

Very well captured and well written travelogue, kept me glued for atleast an hour. Deserves star rating and very informative indeed.

Quote:
The Hindu Caves
The drive through Malshej Ghat in the night was a harrowing experience with blind and sharp terms making me concentrate very hard. It was not an easy drive but the quality of the roads made up for that
I have had this experience not once or twice but three times during my visits to Bhimashanker Jyotirling in the month of Shravan. We (me and my family) do this trip every year via Junnar and while returning we mostly tend to get late due to huge numbers of worshipers visiting the holy temple. And on top of that the rains and fogs play their part in decreasing the visibility.

But one thing I noticed on all the three drives was about the ST Bus Drivers. Their driving style had one thing in common, whenever they are coming from the opposite direction their headlight are in dipper position. And as they approach very near to you they suddenly switch to high beams and thereby blinding you completely (for a second or two). This notorious style is omnipresent on all the ST Bus Drivers plying on Malshej Ghat.

Hope you did not face any such errant Bus Drivers.

Would like to have valuable inputs and tips from the experts and gurus here.
J_Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 10:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I will refer your earlier post to influence my family though .
Really amazing how TBHP has reached our living rooms! We influence friends and family with the knowledge we gain here. Amazing forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Man View Post
Great Car ! Great Roads ! Great Travelers ! Great Travelogue !

kept me glued for atleast an hour. Deserves star rating and very informative indeed.
Wow thank you so much J_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Man View Post
But one thing I noticed on all the three drives was about the ST Bus Drivers. Their driving style had one thing in common, whenever they are coming from the opposite direction their headlight are in dipper position. And as they approach very near to you they suddenly switch to high beams and thereby blinding you completely (for a second or two). This notorious style is omnipresent on all the ST Bus Drivers plying on Malshej Ghat.

Hope you did not face any such errant Bus Drivers.
Surprisingly, I crossed ZERO ST buses on that route and also overtook ZERO. I think that one second of blinding is still better than those drivers who will care a damn and keep the high beams on all throughout !
Old 1st March 2016, 21:21   #41
BHPian

Well written backed by good pictures. Great narration! I felt like you are taking me on a journey. Ajanta & Ellora caves are places we read in history at school. Hope to visit them in the future.
grkonweb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 04:45   #42
BHPian

Hey Varun,
Simply awesome travelogue. Superb write up great pictures.
Also you have done the right thing not stopping on that secluded road. And this advice is for all of us that while travelling we should be extra cautious of our surroundings, better safe than sorry. In-fact we should have something for our safety as well, what if you had a flat tire on that secluded stretch, which could be a nightmare.
I my self is planning for a trip to Ajanta Ellora from Pune. And your write-up will help me a lot so thank you so much for sharing this awesome travelogue. Cheers!!!
divyankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 18:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkonweb View Post
I felt like you are taking me on a journey.

Hope to visit them in the future.
Thanks. Both of the places are definitely must visits for every Indian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyankar View Post
Also you have done the right thing not stopping on that secluded road. And this advice is for all of us that while travelling we should be extra cautious of our surroundings, better safe than sorry.

I my self is planning for a trip to Ajanta Ellora from Pune. And your write-up will help me a lot so thank you so much for sharing this awesome travelogue. Cheers!!!
Thanks for the Kind words. To be honest, I stopped for pics at places where I could not see anyone for miles together ! These roads are best covered during the day in my opinion.
Old 28th December 2016, 23:35   #44

Dear all

Thanks for the excellent information on this thread.

Returned from a five day trip from Thane to Aurangabad - Ajanta - Ellora - Shirdi from 24th December to 28th December 2016. Here is the condition of roads that we drove on.

1. Day 1: Thane to Aurangabad - Drove from Thane - Nashik - Vaijapur - Aurangabad. Condition of roads till Nashik is excellent. Nashik - Vaijapur was largely good. Roads before and after Vaijapur (approximately 25 KM stretch) had potholes. Left Thane at 6:10 am and reached Aurangabad at 1 pm with a 30 minute break at Kamat's near Igatpuri.

2. Day 2 : Drove from Aurangabad to Ajanta - There were a few adverse reviews in the past about this stretch but the condition of this stretch now is excellent. The road has been freshly laid. There are very few bad stretches left. Left at 11 am from ITC Rama International and reached Ajanta by 2:30 pm. Lost approximately 30 minutes to a minor issue with the car battery that was resolved quickly.

3. Day 3: Drove from MTDC Fardapur near Ajanta to Pace hotel near Ellora -Here again the condition of roads was broadly ok. There were a few bad stretches in between.

4. Day 4: Local sightseeing in and around Ellora - Grishneshwar temple, Shopping for Himroo fabrics, Daulatabad fort. condition of roads was good. Car battery again gave an issue in the parking lot of Daulatabad fort. Called Honda roadside assistance and went in with family to check out the fort. The Honda roadside assistance mechanic reached in an hour. This gave us enough time to check out the fort. He helped us start the vehicle and directed us to Deccan Honda in Waluj for a battery check up. Following google maps to Deccan honda was not a good idea as google took us over an horrible stretch of road to an Midc plot with no sign of Deccan honda. Finally, rolled down glasses and got some local expert guidance that Deccan Honda was approximately 7 kms away on Pune highway. Replaced the car battery at Deccan Honda as the car battery test showed that battery needed to be replaced.

4. Day 5: Drove from Pace hotel near Ellora to Shirdi. Left Ellora at 11 am. Reached Shirdi at 1:30 pm. Stopped at Vithal Kamat's for lunch. Finished VIP Darshan + Laddu prasad purchase in 2 hours. Found a nice parking spot for 80 INR opposite Shirdi mandir in the basement of a hotel. Road conditions from Ellora to Shirdi were good to begin with. But deteriorated in the middle stretches to improve eventually as we reached Shirdi. Post Shirdi road conditions were excellent. Left Shirdi at 4 pm to reach Thane by 9:30 pm with a 20 minute stop at Mc Donalds near Kalyan. Should have reached by 8:45 pm but for some traffic jams at the entrance of Kalyan and Thane respectively.

Overall distance covered 1010 Kms in 5 days. Fuel efficiency @12.5 KMPL from Honda City

Hope the above information helps others who plan their trip.

Regards
Amit
amitsethi100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 21:39   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsethi100 View Post
Dear all

Thanks for the excellent information on this thread.

Regards
Amit

Hi,

I had one quick query. On Day 1 - from Thane to Aurangabad, did you take Nashik - Niphad - Yeola - Vaijapur route or did you take Nashik - Sinnar - Kopargaon - Vaijapur route?

And would you recommend taking this route as against taking the Mumbai Pune Expressway - Talegaon - Chakan - Ranjangaon - Ahmednagar route?

I am planning to travel to Lonar next weekend and thus, wanted to know. Thanks.

Most Viewed