Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2016, 15:03   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hampi: A journey to the forgotten empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
I recall no instance of Bijapur getting plundered by Krishnadevaraya.
Extract from the 11th chapter of A forgotten empire by Robert Sewell
Quote:
Nuniz tells us that when the city of Raichur surrendered, the Hindu king made a triumphal entry into it, and treated the garrison with kindness and consideration; while the other Muhammadan kings sent envoys to Krishna Deva Raya on hearing of his success, and received a haughty and irritating reply. Krishna Deva then returned to Vijayanagar and held high festival.

Shortly afterwards an ambassador arrived from the defeated Shah, and was treated with scant courtesy for more than a month, after which he was received in audience; when the king sent answer by him to his enemy, that if the Adil Shah would come to him, do obeisance, and kiss his foot, his lands and fortresses should be restored to him.

No attention being paid to this, the Raya set out to search for the Shah, hoping, that he would be induced to do homage in the manner demanded and appearing to ignore altogether the effect which would necessarily be produced on the minds of the other kings of the Dakhan by this contemplated supreme humiliation of one of their number. The submission never took place. Krishna led his army as far north as Bijapur, the Adil Shah's capital, which for a time he occupied and left sadly injured
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 15:04   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thanks Axe77
I think hampi was a victim of its age. Increase in influence of Vijayanagar made its enemies unite and destroy it. This has happened many times in history and I doubt that a good administrator would have been able to control the empire when you have multiple foes attacking in force. But yes I do agree that we would have had a lot to gain if it was not destroyed and continued to be a center of culture & commerce.
Thanks for this bit of information. I am not a History student but still I get mesmerized by the rich history of our past.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 2nd March 2016 at 15:27. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute edit window to add more contents. Thanks!
Old 2nd March 2016, 17:25   #33
Team-BHP Support

Great travelogue. I was bit amused to see the similarity of the topic and the title to my Hampi travelogue from 2008. I guess we both copied the title from Robert Sewell's book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
I recall no instance of Bijapur getting plundered by Krishnadevaraya.
He merely gifted Goa to Portuguese under the condition that they supply European stock horses to only him and no one else.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 19:14   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Great travelogue. I was bit amused to see the similarity of the topic and the title to my Hampi travelogue from 2008. I guess we both copied the title from Robert Sewell's book.
Would not have taken the trouble to pen this down if I had stumbled upon your travelogue first samurai san. And yes the inspiration for the title is the same Mr Robert Sewell
Quote:
He merely gifted Goa to Portuguese under the condition that they supply European stock horses to only him and no one else.
Not just that - he actually paid the Portuguese for these horses as well
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:38   #35
Team-BHP Support

Nice log. The more you read about this place the more you like it. The place should be explored in rains or winter to get the best possible effects. Or late winter to capture the essence of that lazy sunrise against the back drop of the ruins. Been there for a couple of times and by no means its the last.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 23:34   #36
BHPian

I had visited Hampi on December last year and thankfully the weather was great back then. We could be out all day and still we felt great.We walked almost 20kms in a day and could be outdoors all the while. I guess December is a great time to visit Hampi. And since the three of us where bachelor's we got for accommodation uphill. Wasn't great but still we didn't want to waste any time as we were just there for three days.

Now coming to our trip, one must visit this place atleast once in our life time.The beauty,the structures all leave you awestruck.It just felt so much more proud being an Indian, the scale ,the complexity, the thought behind every single thing leaves you thinking on how great our ancestors where. The rain water system was something that was implemented by us 500-800 years ago and how!.The Market is said to be one amoung the largest markets of Asia. The 3-D carvings on the temples,the musical pillars,the secret chambers, the large large dining hall, the humongous but beautiful enclosure, one can go on and on and on about Hampi.

I don't know the exact route I took from Bangalore to hampi, but guess it was via Tumkur and then Hospet. The last 100odd Kms I did was on a road with a zillion trucks at night and that was quite an experience to be honest.A couple of tractors scared the hell out of me with their single single headlights though. I almost overtake a truck seeing a single headlight and then suddenly figure out that it isn't a bike but a big tractor!.
Is there a better route to get to Hampi?, the satnav on my car showed the route via Tumkur to Hospet and since we didn't do much planning on the route I stuck to the same route. Was a pretty good route barring the tractors at night.

Sorry for the long post,just got a lil too excited.
VRPAI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 08:09   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice log. The more you read about this place the more you like it. The place should be explored in rains or winter to get the best possible effects. Or late winter to capture the essence of that lazy sunrise against the back drop of the ruins. Been there for a couple of times and by no means its the last.
Thanks ampere. Planning a trip sometime in Sep to spend a little more time around the ruins. Where did you capture sunrise from? Matunga hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRPAI View Post
The rain water system was something that was implemented by us 500-800 years ago and how!
Where did you see this? Will be interesting to see how this works.
Quote:
Is there a better route to get to Hampi?
There are 2 routes to get to Hampi
1. Tumkur - Hiriyur - Challakere - Bellary bypass - Hampi
2. Tumkur - Chitradurga - NH13 - Hospet - Hampi
The jury is still divided on which of the two is the best as 1 has monster sized speed breakers and is longer in absolute kms terms while 2 has those trucks you spoke about.
Old 3rd March 2016, 08:18   #38
BHPian

A very nice travelogue procrj and it being interspersed with the history of Hampi and the Vijayanagara empire, makes the read even more interesting. My last visit to Hampi in Dec 2013 was more of a spur of the moment thing and it went by as more of a sightseeing trip and did not delve too much into its history. I plan to visit Hampi again soon and this travelogue will serve as a good guide. Thanks for sharing.
anshu1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 08:28   #39
BHPian

I was talking about the small conduits that channel water to the ponds.Not sure if conduits is the correct word.I pretty much saw them at all the major places, will post a picture once I find them out.

You should try visiting in December I think. The climate during winter is great and you can pretty much be outdoors all day long and climbing those rocks is a lot of fun too as the climate is pretty cool as well.

Thanks
VRPAI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 09:25   #40
BHPian

Wonderful Travelogue!

Whenever I stumble upon the threads about Hampi, I just make sure I read it completely and relate to my visits.

The reason for my regular visits to Hampi because my wife's grandparents house in "Kamalapur", fringes of Hampi.
Raps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Probably that was a part of his political approach in keeping the neighbours in check. His enemies had access to Arabian horses which were much superior in warfare as compared with Indian horses. Besides the sultanates were also aided by the Agra/ Delhi kings in fighting off Vijayanagara. The only route through which Vijayanagara could get external support was through sea i.e., portuguese.

History apart, one must admire the beauty and majesty of this place.
Old 3rd March 2016, 18:05   #42
BHPian

+1 to this post. Been a while, you know how much of an affection I have towards Hampi, seen my avatar image? Hampi is an universe in itself. I am sure you agree with me that you need at least a month to see the place in its full totality.
man_and_machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 16:29   #43
BHPian

Hey procrj

What a fantastic account with lots of history thrown in. Hampi features pretty high on my list of places to visit.
Your write up and pictures have certainly provided a taster and has piqued my interest so much so that, I have bought the kindle edition of the Robert Sewell translation, as soon as I finished reading your travelogue.
Thanks a lot for this fantastic post.
We Indians have a lot of things to be proud about, in our history. If only these were highlighted more in our school books and media.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 00:27   #44
BHPian

Cool pics and story line Procrj. I was in Hampi during rainy and posted this on the community... http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ed-stones.html
jeetaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 20:42   #45
BHPian

Amazing travelogue procrj. Had been to Hampi exactly 2 years ago. Though we had engaged a guide to show us around, I didn't learn about the place and its history as much as I did from your account. Should return to Hampi only to ask for a refund from the guide.

Also the Lotus Mahal is in Pattadakal right?

Most Viewed