Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2006, 01:14   #16

Great pictures and great location - does the restaurant serve margaritas ?
-should visit Manipal when I am in India next.
cheers,
sanjay
Old 21st October 2006, 02:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice Pics..
BTW Which cam phone do you have ?

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 21st October 2006, 07:50   #18
BANNED

Nice writeup and very nice photos too.
Western coast of Karnataka is very beautiful indeed. I prefer KARWAR and DEVBAGH etc to Goa.

Btw, how far is Malpe from Mangalore?
Old 21st October 2006, 09:34   #19

My guess is that people flock to Goa for the facilities - continental food, international hotels, year round festivals, portueguese culture and architecture - along with the beaches; Indians flock to Goa to watch the foreigners!
I have been to the clean beautiful beaches in Karnataka in quaint little villages north and south of Bhatkal - but after spending a few hours got hungry and had to return back to civilisation.
Reason coastal folks don't go for outings on beaches is probably city people don't go on outings to see skyscrapers - they see it everyday, they work there... it's no fun going to the beach on a holiday if you go there every day of the week for work!
I had my office on the beach for three years (believe it or not) in Goa, and I rarely stepped on the beach and I did that only when I had friends visiting from Pune (and it delights me to see envy on their faces when I showed them my office on the beach!)
Old 21st October 2006, 10:16   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_aikman
Great pictures and great location - does the restaurant serve margaritas ?
Yes, I just discovered that myself yesterday. These guys do serve 30 different types of cocktails, and many other mocktails. The restaurant is attached to the resort, more info here. Don't have to worry about going hungry in this beach.

The camera I used was Nokia N73 with stock lens.
Old 22nd October 2006, 02:39   #21
BHPian

was the first set of photographs from kundapur?trasi or interior saligrama?
Old 22nd October 2006, 09:46   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr fate
Negative for all guesses.
Old 22nd October 2006, 20:21   #23
BHPian

hi

Hi samurai..its really great to find Bhpians from coastal karnataka out here..very few are here right!!.well where exaclty are you from sir??......nd isnt that paradise isle in malpe???.....or is it turtle bay??...
Old 23rd October 2006, 13:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

@Samurai awesome pics and nice work with the mobile cam' . How do we cross over to coastal karnataka from Bangalore . Thanks to the roads. Dint know the beach around St.Mary's Island looked so beautiful.
Old 25th October 2006, 11:55   #25
BHPian

I went to college in Manipal for four years, and while I lived there, I never missed an opportunity to hit the beaches. All the way from Trasi/Marvanthe, past Kundapura, Saligrama, Malpe, Kaup, Uchila and Summer Sands. We used to drive down at night to Kaup sometimes and return in the early hours. Even now, living in blr, I try to make it out there at least once a year. Was there in July this year, stayed at Turtle bay with my wife and her parents.

I'm really glad that these little out-of-the-way places haven't been "discovered" by the tourist population. Hopefully it stays that way!
Old 25th October 2006, 13:17   #26
Team-BHP Support

Actually we want like to stayover at turtle bay for a weekend, the weather is great, and the place is just 40Kms away. But, NH17 is simply horrible these days, I don't want to torture my Baleno.
Old 31st January 2007, 19:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I know I refused to name the beach at my native town last time. But I'll give one clue which should reveal the location of this beach which is locally popular. Do you notice an island that has lots of trees in the ocean pulling photo? That's called Saint Mary's Island.
This looks like malpe beach to me.. If I am not wrong..
cheers
Old 31st January 2007, 20:01   #28
BHPian

im from malpe! Malpe fishing harbour rocks mannnn.....so freakin happenin heheee... u got fishing boats with TV and Dvd players loaded mannn, not to mention wicked system... Me gonna be doin the same one day... so relaxinn man, Me n my boat, enjoyin the big time breeze, n fishin, n cookin em fish on the boat... Hmmmmm
Old 1st February 2007, 13:03   #29
BHPian

Hey Samurai-san,

Thats a wonderful writeup, I love beaches with clean, less humans. This reminds of me some memories which I did a beach trek from Kumta, there is a small village called Bada to Gokarna. Again this trek was beautiful as we had to trek all along the coast and climb some hills and cross the backwaters thorugh boats. Looking at the photos, its calling me.

Cheers,
Raps
Old 1st February 2007, 16:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Great Pics + Writeup Samurai
Iv got some pics from the beaches off Gokarna too. Not sure if its appropriate to post it on this thread.. as there are 10 - 15 pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Nice writeup and very nice photos too.
Western coast of Karnataka is very beautiful indeed. I prefer KARWAR and DEVBAGH etc to Goa.

Btw, how far is Malpe from Mangalore?
Check out the beaches surrounding Gokarna also... soon before it turns into a Mini-Goa (the crowds+commercialization has allready begun)

And Malpe is around 5km from udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr fate View Post
Incorrect. Pics are around 5-7km from udupi

Kundapur beach is great too!! Try the chicken roast at the shetty lunch home (you have to call in advance so they can prepare the feast !!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raps View Post
I did a beach trek from Kumta, there is a small village called Bada to Gokarna. Again this trek was beautiful as we had to trek all along the coast and climb some hills and cross the backwaters thorugh boats. Looking at the photos, its calling me.
I have done some small treks that side... had planned to do Honnavar-Gokarna-Kumta sometime but havent found the time uptil now. your inputs would be much appreciated.

Last edited by s0uljah : 1st February 2007 at 16:16.

Most Viewed