Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2016, 09:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples

On Sunday morning while I was doing the weekly ritual of cleaning the car & the wax polishing it, thought why not to utilize Sunday to do a short trip around Pune. Bhuleshwar temple was on top of the list & since en-route is the Ashtavinayak ganesh of Theur-Chintamani, thought we can make both in one trip. When I shared this plan with the folks in family they jumped on the wagon. Though my daughter is in the middle of her final exams , she had finished her studies & all of us decided to start @ 10 from home. Meanwhile I called my brother-in-law if their family would like to join ours. He said that he would call me in some time. We were ready by 10:30am, however it took some more time for my BIL's family to start from their home. We caught up with each other midway. We were 8 in our TUV, myself, wife, parents, 2 kids my sister & her son. BIL took his Vista D90, he along with his wife, parents and two daughters were six in the Vista.

We went through Khadki --> Bund garden bridge --> Circuit House --> Race course road --> Solapur Road --> Loni Kalbhor --> Theur. Reached the temple at 12:30pm (distance of 44 kms from home). It was blazing hot, but the car's AC kept us cool. Fortunately I could park my Orange Tank under a tree shade (parking fees Rs 30/-). All of us went into the temple complex, straight into the sanctum sanctorum. There was not much rush due to exam season and we could take the ganesh darshan within 5 mins of entering the temple. We then decided to have the prasad lunch (Rs 15/- per person). Spent about an hour and a half in the temple premises and then we headed to Bhuleshwar. Could not any pictures inside the temple as photography was prohibited.

Chinchwad to Theur Ashtavinayak Route
Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-chinchwad-theur-ashtavinayak-route.jpg
The whole gang eclipsing the Orange Tank
Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-whole-gang-eclipsing-orange-tank.jpg
My kid posing before the Orange Tank

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-my-kid-posing-before-orange-tank.jpg

Some info about Theur's Chintamani Ashtavinayak temple (Source) --> http://ashtavinayaktemples.com/artic...intamani-theur

Shri Chintamani, Theur

Ganesha is believed to have got back the precious Chinatamani jewel from the greedy Guna for sage Kapila at this spot. However, after bringing back the jewel, sage Kapila put it in Vinayaka's (Ganesha's) neck. Thus the name Chintamani Vinayak. This happened under the Kadamb tree, therefore Theur is known as Kadambanagar in old times.

The lake behind the temple is called Kadambteertha. The temple entrance is North facing. The outer wooden hall is built by Peshwas. The main temple is supposed to have been built by Dharanidhar Maharaj Dev from the family-lineage of Shri Moraya Gosavi. He must have built this around 100 years before Senior Shrimant Madhavrao Peshwa built the outer wooden hall.

This idol also has a left trunk, with carbuncle and diamonds as its eyes. The idol faces the East side.

Theur's Chintamani was the main worshipped god of Senior Shrimant Madhavrao Peshwa. He suffered from tuberculosis and died at a very young age (~27years). He is supposed to have died in this temple. His wife, Ramabai went as Sati with him on 18 November 1772.

The temple is located 22 km from Pune, off the Pune-Solapur highway, and is hence the nearest from Pune. The village of Theur sits at the confluence of three major regional rivers-Mula, Mutha & Bhima.

We took the same route to touch the NH9 & headed towards Solapur. After about 25 kms on the highway, once you cross the second toll booth, there is a right diversion to Bhuleshwar (just before Yavat). From thereon it is about 10 kms. The temple is atop a hill-lock and you have to climb a small ghat. Once you cross the ghat beware to take a right diversion, as the straight road goes to Morgaon. there are two very sharp hair-pin bends in the last section just before the temple.

Theur Ashtavinayak to Bhuleshwar Temple Route
Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-theur-ashtavinayak-bhuleshwar-temple-route.jpg

Source of below info --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhuleshwar_Temple

Bhuleshwar is a Hindu temple of Shiva, situated around 45 kilometres from Pune and 10km from Pune Solapur highway from Yawat. The temple is situated on a hill and was built in the 13th century. There are classical carvings on the walls. It has been declared as a protected monument.

The temple as seen from the parking lot
Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-temple-seen-parking-lot.jpg

The temple in the backdrop of a tree
Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-temple-backdrop-tree.jpg

Another shot of the temple behind the tree
Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-another-shot-temple-behind-tree.jpg

The temple up close
Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-temple-up-close.jpg

Nearing the entrance of the temple

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-nearing-entrance-temple.jpg

Significance:
Bhuleshwar has a mythological & historical significance. Originally, it was a fort which was called as 'Mangalgadh'. It is said that Parvati danced for Shiva and from here they went to Kailash and got married. This place is crowded during Mahashivratri.

The temple is also known for the folk-tale about it, when a bowl of sweet (pedhas) is offered to the Shiva Ling, one or more of the sweets disappear. Actor-travel writer Milind Gunaji writes about his experience with this in his book Mystical, Magical Maharashtra.

The temple also has an idol of Ganesha in female attire. It is popular as Ganeshwari or Lambodari or Ganeshyani. This temple is said to be built in 1200 century by King Krishnadevray.

Location and construction:
Temple was built during the period of 1230 AD during Yadava Rulers. The fort on which the temple is situated is called as Daulatmangal fort, also at times referred as Mangalgad. Black basalt (AA type) rock was brought to construct this temple which is different as compared to surrounding brownish color basalt which has high percentage of calcium (lime - Chuna). The fort was constructed in 1629 by Murar Jagdev who, in 1630, looted Pune. He then built the fort to keep a watch on the city.

Carvings of the temple:

Surroundings:
Many birds migrate here and to Narayanbet, which is fifteen kilometers from here, during summer. The spot is hence visited by many bird-watchers. There are many Places to visit around Bhuleshwar temple. Like Theur Ganapati Mandir, Ramdara Temple and Jejuri Temple.
Attached Thumbnails
Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-huge-bell-fron-main-entrance.jpg  

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-another-view-bell-deepstambh-backdrop.jpg  

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-intricate-entrance-mind-your-head.jpg  

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-huge-nandi-front-main-entrance.jpg  

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-another-shot-nandi.jpg  

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-nandi-seen-south-side.jpg  

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-huge-tortoise-besides-nandi.jpg  

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-intricately-carved-aray-pillars.jpg  

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-pillars-playing-hide-seek.jpg  

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-carvings-south-side-temple.jpg  

Last edited by AutoIndian : 4th April 2016 at 10:15.
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 10:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples

Some more beautifully carved stone statues, walls and pillars

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5342.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5344.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5345.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5348.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5349.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5351.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5362.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5363.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5364.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5365.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5366.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5367.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5368.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5369.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5370.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5373.jpg

We spent almost two hours at this 12th century wonder. The kids and elders enjoyed alike and were awestruck by the beauty of this place. We left the place with a wish to visit this masterpiece once again.
AutoIndian is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 11:29   #3
BHPian

Thanks autoindian for the detailed travelogue. I stay on keshav nagar -manjari road and this place is definitely on my top list now
Old 4th April 2016, 12:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
Thanks autoindian for the detailed travelogue. I stay on keshav nagar -manjari road and this place is definitely on my top list now
From keshav nagar -manjari road this place would be 40 kms, give or take 5 kms. This place is a must see if you are fond of our rich Indian heritage. This is a bit secluded spot and you can hardly find any rush over here. You can plan to visit this even on week days if you can complete silence.

One point, which I forgot to mention above is that this temple too was not spared by the Mughal onslaught in the 15th/16th century. The temple top (kalash) was completely destroyed and most of the beautifully carved stone statues too were not spared. Hence you can see most of the statues in broken condition. If you closely observe the exterior shots of the temple above, it appears to be a mosque (masjid) from a distance. Even the white coloured temple top creates this belief. Fortunately only a part of the temple was destroyed and majority was left intact for us to witness this 12th century marvel.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 13:17   #5
BHPian

Dear AutoIndian,

You are at it again! Now, you have added one more item to my to-do list!

Anyway, thanks for the nice review.
I am rating it 5 stars!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 15:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
One point, which I forgot to mention above is that this temple too was not spared by the Mughal onslaught in the 15th/16th century. The temple top (kalash) was completely destroyed and most of the beautifully carved stone statues too were not spared. Hence you can see most of the statues in broken condition. If you closely observe the exterior shots of the temple above, it appears to be a mosque (masjid) from a distance. Even the white coloured temple top creates this belief. Fortunately only a part of the temple was destroyed and majority was left intact for us to witness this 12th century marvel.
Reminds me of the trips I made to this temple about five years back. There was quite a discussion on the topic - interested folks can read it here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2031079

AutoIndian, did you go to Kanifnath temple on your way back?
vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 10:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear AutoIndian,

You are at it again! Now, you have added one more item to my to-do list!

Anyway, thanks for the nice review.
I am rating it 5 stars!

Girish Mahajan
Thank you Mahajan Sir for your compliments and rating. This is the third time I have visited this temple and I can just keep visiting it endlessly, such is the charishma and serenity of this place. If only our MTDC got serious about this rich legacy and marketed it well this temple can be easily compared to the likes of Khajuraho. Do let me know in case you need any additional info and I shall be happy to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Reminds me of the trips I made to this temple about five years back. There was quite a discussion on the topic - interested folks can read it here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2031079

AutoIndian, did you go to Kanifnath temple on your way back?
Thanks vrprabhu for that info. How did I miss that? Its a pity, next time I will surely keep this in mind. In fact there are many sight seeing places around that area. I am now preparing a laundry list of all such places and will ensure that I cover them in my next visit.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 13:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Deepak,

Good going. I had visited Theur during my Astavinayak trip, your trip brought some sweet memories of my trip. The Bhuleshwar temple looks awesome, this again reminded me of my recent trip to Hampi where the temple carvings simply blow your mind.

Tell me, did all the people in the second pic accommodate in the TUV or was there an another vehicle?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 09:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Deepak,

Good going. I had visited Theur during my Astavinayak trip, your trip brought some sweet memories of my trip. The Bhuleshwar temple looks awesome, this again reminded me of my recent trip to Hampi where the temple carvings simply blow your mind.
Hey Girish, each Astavinayak temple has its own charm. Theur Chintamani temple is one of the smallest yet elegant. Bhuleshwar is a different world altogether. Yes you can compare it with Hampi for the sculptures, but Hampi's grandeur is incomparable. The Belur-Halebidu temple duo have more resemblance.

Quote:
Tell me, did all the people in the second pic accommodate in the TUV or was there an another vehicle?
Wish that was possible in the TUV. No we had two cars at our disposal. My brother in law's Vista D90 was also there for the company. His car accommodated his family of 5 adults and a kid. The TUV was packed with my family of with 7 adults and a kid. Here is the picture of the two cars side by side.

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5331.jpg

Short Sunday drive to Theur Chintamani & Bhuleshwar Temples-dscn5332.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks