Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2016, 15:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Sandakphu and beyond in a Mahindra Thar

Wonderful travelogue with beautiful pictures. Any self respecting Bhpian from Kolkata must drive Sandakphu at least once in their lifetime These serve as an inspiration to novice drivers like me and i hope to repeat the feat some day in future if i can afford a 4WD and if health permits. And congrats for a very well deserved and long due title of Distinguished Bhpian Rated ***** Stars.

Last edited by Samfromindia : 3rd May 2016 at 15:04.
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 15:18   #17
BHPian

This is a pleasantly different take on Sandakphu! In most logs I have come across, the stress is overtly on the arduous climbs and steep descends, some snow, lots of rocks, few old Land Rovers and the front facade of Sherpa Chalet! Kudos to Blackpearl for showing us what lies beyond! Must have been an out of the world experience camping and bird watching in absolute undisturbed nature. Rhododendrons, snow peaks, exotic birds and animals, truly unbelievable! And all this while I have been letting this pass thinking it was just a place for extreme 4wd adventures. Thank you once again.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:09   #18
BHPian

Am i missing something about the Duster scaling this or its been such a long time that this was done by @himadriomondal that he himself forgot?! Kidding !

He was one of the first in the forum to take the Duster 2WD upto Sandakphu !!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ter-110-a.html

The Duster is so much more capable in experienced and fearless hands.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:47   #19
BHPian

Yet another Sandakphu stunner. The camping idea is like an icing on the cake. Wonderful, BlackPearl.
Also, I sometimes wonder how you people cover Darjeeling-Kolkata like distances in 12-13 hours!

Amazing travelogue!
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:32   #20
BHPian

I am always mesmerized each and every time you put up a travelogue. How can one be so short and crisp, yet complete!

Pictures are awesome. Duster scaling Sandakfu is not something 99.5% people would expect. But great job by team duster.

Btw, what did you all cook up there while tenting?
A.G.The Rambler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 18:05   #21
BHPian

Congratulations on becoming a D-BHPian, Sumitro. Next time we meet, remind me to bow

So, Sandakphu yet again? Is it 5 times or more now?
mr.sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 23:53   #22
BANNED

What a lovely travelogue accompanied with those lovely photographs. The place seems to be really beautiful.
This place seems to have lots of Land Rovers, but your thar did really well in those terrains & of course it would not have been possible without your driving skills.
Congratulations for becoming D bhpian.
vdm295 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 10:07   #23
BHPian

Hello Blackpearl,

Its a wonderful travelogue that you have put. This is your 4th trip if I am not mistaken. The duster making it to the top is a great news for people with no 4WD vehicle at their disposal- perhaps not so good news for the landrover business there. Though i would appreciate its the man more than the machine that made that Duster see the Sandakpu top.

By the way last time we went there in Mid December in two Thar Crdes, the local people said that some Maruti Omnis did also make it to the top without any other vehicles help (they were pushed by human force at many places). WHen I went in the Thar last time, i was of my opinion that a 2WD vehicle especially a front wheel drive would be impossible to take, but its wrong.

Looking forward to putting up my own travel experiences to Sandakpu and elsewhere.

Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 16:03   #24
BHPian

You keep going back to Sandakphu so many times that there is this rumour in the air these days - "The LR association of Maneybhanjan is considering BlackPearl as their brand ambassador"! Jokes apart, awesome narration, superb picture and the best video coverage of the trail from you so far, congrats! I hope this video gives some realistic impression of the trail to the viewers and help people refrain from going there in hatchbacks

BTW, how would you compare the performance of the Thar pitted against the Bolero on this trail?
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 16:18   #25
BHPian

This was the 5th or 6th time ? Congrats on that, wish someday I can accompany you in a proper vehicle
Uprasenjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 17:51   #26
BHPian

Lovely travelogue Blackpearl! Rated 5 stars! Would be interested to know how does the Bolero fare on the Sandakpu route.
Regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 18:34   #27
BHPian

Absolutely wonderful travelogue and beautiful crisp pictures.
Brilliantly composed and very well documented as well.
The camping details was enough to give momentum to the plan later this year.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 08:32   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post

By the way last time we went there in Mid December in two Thar Crdes, the local people said that some Maruti Omnis did also make it to the top without any other vehicles help (they were pushed by human force at many places). WHen I went in the Thar last time, i was of my opinion that a 2WD vehicle especially a front wheel drive would be impossible to take, but its wrong.

[/url]
Omni is a rear wheel drive if I am not mistaken and it has long been one of the preferred choices as a people carrier in hilly areas.

Last edited by jay3sh : 5th May 2016 at 08:32. Reason: The video was unnecessary
Old 5th May 2016, 10:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3sh View Post
Omni is a rear wheel drive if I am not mistaken and it has long been one of the preferred choices as a people carrier in hilly areas.
Yes, you are right , Omni is a rear wheel drive, one of the favoured taxi vehicles in hills. My formatting was wrong, i was talking about the Duster which made it to Sandakpu. Duster is a fwd vehicle if I am not mistaken.
Old 5th May 2016, 11:49   #30
BHPian

Hi Black Pearl,

as always a lovely , crisp narration. I have only been upto Darjeeling once and this area beyond looks amazing.

Is there a route into Nepal from there also ? Which can be accessed by road?

Also the final 3km climb which is seen in the video what gears were you using 4H or 4L ?

cheers

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks