Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2016, 19:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Chasing the Lama on a KTM 390 Duke: Pune to Ladakh, 6500+ km in 12 days

Hats off to you sir, really great photographs. I also really liked your style of narration. I am not a rider (don't even have a bike license) but this travelogue makes me want to earn it.
ankurchaturvedi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 19:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Great travelogue with plenty of details ! Should be very useful for my planned trip in August, particularly on the Suru valley that not many people venture out to.

Leh-Mandi in a day is quite an achievement , what was the travel time ? Do you think Hanle - Tso Morriri - Keylong is doable in a day with an early start from Hanle ?
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 22:39   #18
BHPian

Best travelogue on Ladakh. Loved the pictures but videos are superb and take the awesomeness to another level. I just added your Go Pro to my official list of things I envy.

Questions:

1. Did you use any video stabilization tool?
2. I guess you shot at 1080p@30fps. Can you please confirm that? Also, did you try 1080p@60fps?
3. What is the practical duration of video shot at 1080p@30fps which fills up entire 64GB card?

I have been considering Go Pro for a sometime now. Your views on above questions will help.

Suggestion:

Music in your videos starts repeating half way. It doesn't hurt in anyway but does take focus off the video to the thought that it just repeated now. Did you try embedding Youtube's royalty free music?
bordeaux is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 03:26   #19
BHPian

4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul. Your thread and pictures are an inspiration for any riding to take up this amazing trip.

Leh-Ladakh ride is one among the Top in my bucket list. Hopefully I am to convince my family soon.
sreejith.j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 09:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Do you think Hanle - Tso Morriri - Keylong is doable in a day with an early start from Hanle ?
We did Tso Morori to Keylong in a day. Started from Keylong at 0620 and reached Keylong by 1830. Hanle to Keylong will be quite a challenge.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 22:49   #21
BHPian

A lovely travelogue mate. Congrats. Please do a bike review also. How was the performance of the bike and your modifications esp in the rough conditions and high altitudes. I am keenly interested in the luggage rack's performance. How did it hold up? how much weight can it accommodate and where can i buy it. Tyre review too would be greatly appreciated.
regards
Old 11th July 2016, 00:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhavraghav View Post
A lovely travelogue mate. Congrats...
Yes, I will pen down a quick review on bike once this log is completed.

The luggage rack is purchased from Pune based entrepreneur Faaster Wheels, the quality is awesome and it helped me a lot in this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
Best travelogue on Ladakh.

Questions:

1. Did you use any video stabilization tool?
2. I guess you shot at 1080p@30fps. Can you please confirm that? Also, did you try 1080p@60fps?
3. What is the practical duration of video shot at 1080p@30fps which fills up entire 64GB card?

I have been considering Go Pro for a sometime now. Your views on above questions will help.

Suggestion:

Music in your videos starts repeating half way. It doesn't hurt in anyway but does take focus off the video to the thought that it just repeated now. Did you try embedding Youtube's royalty free music?
Thanks a lot for appreciations.

Answers for your questions:
1. I have not tried any stabilization tool explicitly however for one video tried You Tube stabilization.
2. I was using DSLR so far so I am very new to GoPro hence didn't tried any settings yet. I just used the default mode for video shoot.
3. I tried to shoot 2 min to 10 min video and I feel that 64 GB is not sufficient, I missed Rohatang because at one place I forgot to stop the recording. It will be better to carry two 64 GB cards.

I did search a lot for free music but these are the 2/3 downloads I found. Suggestion taken will try you tube one now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Great travelogue with plenty of details !

Leh-Mandi in a day is quite an achievement , what was the travel time ? Do you think Hanle - Tso Morriri - Keylong is doable in a day with an early start from Hanle ?
Thanks a lot !

Yes it’s doable however you have to start from Hanle very early around 5 AM. I left Leh on 4.30 AM and reached Mandi on 9.50 PM with enough hydration/food/natural call/photo shoots stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Congrats on your adventure on 2 wheels, Vishal.

Nice pics and well narrated travelogue. Keep the other parts coming along till you reached back home.

If I have not mistaken the luggage rack what you have fixed is from faasterwheels. How is this thing after all the abuses it is subjected to? I am also on the boat to get this for my D and wanted some reviews form people who have used it.
Thank you Uday !

Yes this rack is from Faaster Wheels, go ahead with purchase eyes closed. They have two options, full setup with saddle bags support or only rack. I purchased only rack as I didn't liked the saddle bag supporter much, I have provided my suggestion to him about the same. I am planning to buy Dirt Sack Llma hard case and then accommodate this carrier as well. The owner of Faaster wheel have promised me to custom this rack to fit with Llma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vishal - hello after a very long time! .

I can think of only two words to describe your passion. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! The photographs are wonderful, I just lived your whole trip, as if I was riding another bike with you. Let's catch up sometime, with Gajanan and Sudarshan!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks a lot sir!

We can meet anytime, let Gajanan know your available time and we can meet at your convenient location.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 11th July 2016 at 00:17. Reason: Chaged the text
Thar4x4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 15:45   #23
BHPian

This has to be the best amongst the Leh travelogues posted of late. Both in terms of the epic nature of adventure and for the outstanding audio-visuals.
WOW..!!! Inspiring..!
Aditya2703 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 15:57   #24

Great travelogue.
Brought back lot of memories, when we (Me and My Wife, sort of Solo) visited Leh in 2014, We stayed at Lings, he is a great guy.
gunrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 20:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Dude, Congratulations and KUDOS to you to attempt something like this at 35.

I am myself 35 and have been to Leh once 12 years ago.

There is a big urge to drive to Leh which I haven't done yet.
Your log is a big inspiration for me.

Did you have a specific fitness regime before the trip?
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 01:50   #26
BHPian

Congrats on this awesome achievement. Pune to Ladakh, that too solo, is mind-blowing. I recently read a quote somewhere which I think is apt here: "Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself".
I'm planning a Ladakh trip too next season, its been put off by 2 years now due to professional commitments. Your travelogue will join the many others in helping me plan my trip. Happy riding!!
jd10ent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 14:30   #27
BHPian

Superb one Vishalbhai. Hats off to your amazing journey.

BTW, Life begins at 40, so we all can expect some more exciting travelogues from you down the line. This is just a beginning...
padikpanther is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 07:31   #28
BHPian

Amazing travelogue. And the shots were awesome. Wishing you many more journeys ahead.
Chris_Xtreme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 10:22   #29

Of late, too many people on this forum are doing too many amazing feats. This is one of them. Thank you for the excellent narration and photos and videos. The desire to see Ladakh has been simmering in me for some time. Your post is a great motivation.

Most of us have all the equipment and the money to do what you have done. The only thing that you have extra is "guts". My R.E.S.P.E.C.T to you for this fantastic feat. That too solo!
aquashankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 22:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Background

The first obstacle was to convince my wife and son, I was sure that my son will be alright if I tell him that I am going to Himalayas however wife will not allow such madness at all. It almost took me a month to prepare their minds not only for my motorcycle ride but also for the fact that I am going to ride all the way solo.
Excellent pics!!
I know convincing one's wife is the biggest challenge.
Hey share some tips how did you convince your wife? Did you go the last time with your wife on safari?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks