Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2016, 07:18   #61
BHPian

Re: Lost in the United States in search of diversity

Excellent travelogue and pictures, guyfrmblr. I would love travel to many of those places as well after reading this.

I think the diversity in the USA is not as striking as in India when you travel between states. It is more subtle as I'm sure you've noticed. IMO it is due to it being a more predominantly one language and one religion country.

But in places like in NYC where I'm currently residing, one does come across many different peoples, languages, religions and skin tones - the veritable "melting pot". I would argue that to an outsider to India, especially to a western eye, it would appear to be more 'homogeneous" (no offense meant to anyone)
autonarr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 19:51   #62
BHPian

@guyfrmblr, awesome travelogue, thanks! Beautiful country, no? And they take pride in keeping it so.

When I lived in the US, it was always on the west coast. I have visited the east coast, but have not seen it like you have. By far, the east coast, especially the north east, is prettier, and much, much greener. Added bonus: the fall foliage.

Not been to Niagara Falls yet? Go in early or mid July, when the snow melt is at its peak, and the water at its maximum torrent. Unforgettable.

On the west coast, don't miss the Grand Canyon. You'll need at least a full day, better two days to see it in all its grandeur and majesty and different viewpoints / angles. On the way, stop by at Hoover Dam for a guided tour of its innards.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 21:25   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Not been to Niagara Falls yet? Go in early or mid July, when the snow melt is at its peak, and the water at its maximum torrent. Unforgettable.
I had been to Niagara but didn't take any good pic that was worth sharing it here . The Letchworth state park which I have mentioned in one of the post was a spin-off of our Niagara visit. I really want to visit there sometime in winter to see the frozen Niagara but not comfortable to drive up to Buffalo in winter.

Quote:
On the west coast, don't miss the Grand Canyon. You'll need at least a full day, better two days to see it in all its grandeur and majesty and different viewpoints / angles. On the way, stop by at Hoover Dam for a guided tour of its innards.
Sure, Grand Canyon is on top of our must visit places list. We are going on a 10 days vacation this September to the West and have planned to explore few places in Nevada, Utah and Arizona. 10 days is not sufficient but unable to get more leaves .

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 25th July 2016 at 21:27.
Old 25th July 2016, 21:32   #64
Team-BHP Support

Lovely travelogue and the pictures of Boston are sheer deja vu.

Traveled to Boston a few times usually on short work trips so never got a chance to explore surrounding areas extensively, but I've been fortunate enough to be taken around Boston itself by a now-septuagenarian lifelong Bostonian who knows more about the city than any guide could ever tell you. I absolutely loved the Museum of Fine Arts and the central courtyard at the Isabella Stewart Garnder Museum close by, and a lot of other landmarks.

The city is an absolute joy and I've sometimes spent an entire weekend just walking around town. Small joys to an avid walker that are unimaginable in urban India unfortunately, lovely to meet people who are passionate about their city and everything it contains.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th July 2016 at 21:35.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 22:37   #65
BHPian

BEAUTIFUL pictures, thanks for sharing.

I've lived in NH and MA for 13 years and still haven't seen or done as much as you have.
axp817 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 17:09   #66
BHPian

Beautiful !!

Very nice photographs. Really offbeat places that you have visited.

I never stayed in US, other than few short business trips. But in one of the trip I visited a small place called Keene, NH. I can see that place in most of your maps. There is no airport there. So only way to go there is road trip from Manchester or Boston. I did see some scenic road and small beautiful villages on the way.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by radek : 26th July 2016 at 17:10. Reason: typo
radek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 18:56   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The city is an absolute joy and I've sometimes spent an entire weekend just walking around town. Small joys to an avid walker that are unimaginable in urban India unfortunately, lovely to meet people who are passionate about their city and everything it contains.
Since the city is very small, almost all the places can be accessed by walk. It's one of the best cities to walk but worst cities to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
But in one of the trip I visited a small place called Keene, NH. I can see that place in most of your maps. There is no airport there. So only way to go there is road trip from Manchester or Boston. I did see some scenic road and small beautiful villages on the way.
I guess you would have either taken the Mohawk trail or NH route 101 to reach Keene. It indeed passes through some typical New England villages. Keene itself is a small scenic town with the backdrop of a mountain. Sometimes we avoid the I-91 and take the route through Keene to reach Vermont.
Old 26th July 2016, 19:49   #68
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

@guyfrmblr - some more places you can consider visiting while you're in the USA. These are some places I would suggest driving to if possible (for some of them you can take a flight to the nearest city and then rent a car).
Closer to eastern coast:
1. Gatlinburg, Tennessee
2. Niagara - try to get your visas and drive there, it's an enjoyable drive. You can visit the US side as well as the Canadian side, both are unique
3. Shenandoah National Park
4. Chespeake Bay
5. Atlantic City

Closer to western coast:
1. Los Angeles
2. San Diego
3. San Francisco
4. Yosemite National Park
5. Kings Canyon National Park
6. Sequoia National Park
7. 17 mile drive
8. Yellowstone National Park (I haven't been to this one, was always on my to-do list!)
9. Grand Canyon National Park
10. Las Vegas & Hoover Dam

Last edited by NPV : 26th July 2016 at 19:52.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 20:20   #69
BHPian

Excellent travelogue or should I say travelogueathon and so many beautiful pictures of the Countryside. Thank you so much for sharing as it brought back LOTS of good memories from my stay in the US. From some of the route maps you've mentioned, am guessing you live in the Westborough area right? During my SIX months stay in multiple trips, I lived in Westborough & Shrewsbury and yeah used to work for the famous data storage company which is located in Southborough & Hopkinton. Was fortunate enough make some long lasting friendship and also got to travel to most of the places you've mentioned here and some additional places except Chicago & Washington DC. Couldn't witness the snow as the travel was always between July to October. If you've not done the Cape Cod yet, please do so at your next convenient time as it is a lovely place to visit.

Once again, thank you for sharing this travelogue and good luck to you
Keynote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 20:34   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
......It's one of the best cities to walk but worst cities to drive
You said it

I usually park the car and/or let my host(s) drive me around if they're so inclined, or take the train if I'm solo, to strategic points then use my feet to get around. Commuter trains are great to get to downtown if one's staying in the suburbs; cheap, efficient and there's something about old(er) trains that captures my imagination.

The dynamic maze that's Boston's streets, I'll never get anywhere driving myself.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th July 2016 at 20:36.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks