Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2016, 22:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Monsoon weekend drive to Dalma Hills in a Ford Figo. EDIT: 2020 updates on Page 3

Any night accommodation inside Dalma?

How is the Purulia - Balarampur - Chandil road now?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 01:07   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Monsoon weekend drive to Dalma Hills in a Ford Figo. EDIT: 2020 updates on Page 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post

That Figo looks somewhat like EcoSports to me with your lens.
Opening picture itself was enough to tell whats coming ... winter.. err monsoon ! Excellent composition of a crisp travelogue.
Thanks.
11mm wide angle lens made Figo look somewhat like an Ecosport! So you may say its the cheapest way to upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Yes Samba Da, on the way you would have seen a road with a barricade and restricted area marked on it. However if you continue driving on the other road which leads to the bridge from where the dam is visible, you will come to a fork. The right leads to Chandil town and the left leads to the top of the dam.
Thanks a lot for the pointer, there's always a next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Any night accommodation inside Dalma?
There are two.

One is at the base near the forest office, just at beginning of the forest. This one belongs to Jharkhand forest department and is at the foot hills.

The other one is at Dalma top. I have heard it belongs to TATA. They have only 2-3 rooms.

Quote:
How is the Purulia - Balarampur - Chandil road now?
Regards
Sutripta
Purulia to Balarampur is single lane but excellent roads.

Purulia to Chandil is single lane too but a bit patchy with occasional pot holes. The upper layer of the road surface is rough for a major portion. But its not at all alarming or can be termed as bad/poor roads. Its pretty much drive-able, may be a bit bumpy at places.

Last edited by Samba : 15th July 2016 at 01:11.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 13:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Was Surprised to not see a star rating on this Travelogue.It definitely has great pictures, lovely narration of a terrific weekend getaway. Rated at 5-stars.

Carry on the terrific work you are doing without being bothered about trends.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 17:43   #19
BHPian

"Aree O Samba !!" It must be strange for a lot of people that such a small weekend getaway travelogue makes it's way to the Hot Threads of the Forum. However, in today's world it's the small things that matter most !! Really refreshing getaway penned down by you with some fabulous clicks (needless to say). Rated 5* as this can really be of good reference for someone planning a weekend getaway close to Kolkata apart from the monotonous beach sides in the southern part of the state. Thanks for sharing !!
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 19:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
The other one is at Dalma top. I have heard it belongs to TATA. They have only 2-3 rooms.
Isn't Dalma WLS? In that case unlikely TISCO will be allowed a guest house there.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 18:59   #21
BANNED

As usual Samba, Your travelogues are just too good to read. The pictures & the details you provide are just apt. Would love to see some more pictures of the resort that you stayed in. The location of the resort seems to be just awsome.

Last edited by vdm295 : 16th July 2016 at 19:06.
vdm295 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 20:53   #22
BHPian

Short and 'very' sweet travelogue , Samba. Excellent pics , as usual.

One thing I have been wanting to ask you (enviously) ever since I started reading your travelogues - How do you manage to find all these beautiful places for your short holidays ??

I don't think many of us even know that places like these exist anymore ! Though your eyes and lens, we also travel with you to these exotic locations.

Keep on travelling, brother and penning them down. It keeps adding more places to see and experience for us.

Rated 5 stars.
TheStranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 23:42   #23
BHPian

Now there is practically nothing to say about your TL, as usual a informative write-up with fantastic pictures.

I have also visited these places a decade back in the month of August with family and friends. Although it was not a self drive trip, but we have enjoyed a lot.

Sharing few Pictures of the long forgotten trip which suddenly became lively in my memory after reading your Travelogue.

The Hotel

Monsoon weekend drive to Dalma Hills in a Ford Figo. EDIT: 2020 updates on Page 3-dsc00307.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive to Dalma Hills in a Ford Figo. EDIT: 2020 updates on Page 3-dsc00313.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive to Dalma Hills in a Ford Figo. EDIT: 2020 updates on Page 3-dsc00314.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive to Dalma Hills in a Ford Figo. EDIT: 2020 updates on Page 3-dsc00180-1.jpg

A trip to Dalma Top

Monsoon weekend drive to Dalma Hills in a Ford Figo. EDIT: 2020 updates on Page 3-dsc00249.jpg

The Chandil Dam

Monsoon weekend drive to Dalma Hills in a Ford Figo. EDIT: 2020 updates on Page 3-dsc00274.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive to Dalma Hills in a Ford Figo. EDIT: 2020 updates on Page 3-dsc00279.jpg

A view from Top of the Dam

Monsoon weekend drive to Dalma Hills in a Ford Figo. EDIT: 2020 updates on Page 3-dsc00282.jpg

We have also visited Dimna Lake

Monsoon weekend drive to Dalma Hills in a Ford Figo. EDIT: 2020 updates on Page 3-dsc00213.jpg

A bit Wider View

Monsoon weekend drive to Dalma Hills in a Ford Figo. EDIT: 2020 updates on Page 3-dsc00281-dimna.jpg

And the topping of the trip was a quick visit to Dasam Falls which was on that time a quite disturbed area.

Monsoon weekend drive to Dalma Hills in a Ford Figo. EDIT: 2020 updates on Page 3-dsc00292.jpg

We liked 10th Milestone at that time and it seems even after a decade the Hotel has not changed much.

Monsoon weekend drive to Dalma Hills in a Ford Figo. EDIT: 2020 updates on Page 3-dsc00187-10th.jpg

Hope to visit the place again in near future.
SouraC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 00:05   #24
Team-BHP Support

Lovely little travelogue Samba, thanks a lot for sharing. Rated 5 stars. The pictures are excellent as usual. As you know some of us are planning to go there very soon, this travelogue could not have come at a better time!
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 01:56   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Was Surprised to not see a star rating on this Travelogue.It definitely has great pictures, lovely narration of a terrific weekend getaway. Rated at 5-stars.

Carry on the terrific work you are doing without being bothered about trends.
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
"Aree O Samba !!" Rated 5* as this can really be of good reference for someone planning a weekend getaway close to Kolkata apart from the monotonous beach sides in the southern part of the state. Thanks for sharing !!
Thanks a lot and thank god you have not asked me 'Kitne haathi the?' ('How many elephants were there?' , just tweaked the dialogue from the famous movie Sholay based on the scenario!)

Quote:
Isn't Dalma WLS? In that case unlikely TISCO will be allowed a guest house there.

Regards
Sutripta
Yes dada, you are correct, i inquired about it from few of my friends and they told it belongs to FRH. Earlier i heard that, bookings of this bungalow can be made through TATA, hence the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm295 View Post
As usual Samba, Your travelogues are just too good to read. The pictures & the details you provide are just apt. Would love to see some more pictures of the resort that you stayed in. The location of the resort seems to be just awsome.
Thanks a ton. Am sorry, i do not have any more pics of the resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Short and 'very' sweet travelogue , Samba. Excellent pics , as usual.

One thing I have been wanting to ask you (enviously) ever since I started reading your travelogues - How do you manage to find all these beautiful places for your short holidays ??
Thanks a lot. Actually for week end trips there are many beautiful destination's around Kolkata. I try to cover a few of them. But i do believe 'happiness is in the journey not at the destination'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouraC View Post
Now there is practically nothing to say about your TL, as usual a informative write-up with fantastic pictures.

I have also visited these places a decade back in the month of August with family and friends. Although it was not a self drive trip, but we have enjoyed a lot.

Sharing few Pictures of the long forgotten trip which suddenly became lively in my memory after reading your Travelogue.
Thanks and fantastic pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Lovely little travelogue Samba, thanks a lot for sharing. Rated 5 stars. The pictures are excellent as usual. As you know some of us are planning to go there very soon, this travelogue could not have come at a better time!
Thanks a lot and wish every one of you, all the best for the rain drive and hope to see many beautiful pics after the drive.

Sharing a pic of our Figo at Dalma top.

Monsoon weekend drive to Dalma Hills in a Ford Figo. EDIT: 2020 updates on Page 3-img_0659.jpg

The only video i managed to find from this trip. Its inside Dalma forest, just before the climb up. Sorry for the shaky video.

Last edited by Samba : 23rd July 2016 at 02:07.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 14:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
One is at the base near the forest office, just at beginning of the forest. This one belongs to Jharkhand forest department and is at the foot hills.
Hi sir,
I am planning to travel tomorrow. Have bookings for the guest house ( not sure which one, done through forest department).

Any suggestions for the drive uphill?
Any suggestions which vehicle is better to take.
Options are Innova, swift D, i10 petrol and alto
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 21:16   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Hi sir,
I am planning to travel tomorrow. Have bookings for the guest house ( not sure which one, done through forest department).

Any suggestions for the drive uphill?
Any suggestions which vehicle is better to take.
Options are Innova, swift D, i10 petrol and alto
Hello,
up hill drive is not a very difficult task if its dry. But if it rains then slush makes the scenerio worse. So just be slow, judge the road ahead and then negotiate. I will prefer an Alto/i10 for there short foot prints rather than a bigger vehicle as roads are narrow. Plus it will be easier to reverse if you face an elephant in front of you.

Happy journey.

Last edited by Samba : 12th August 2016 at 21:18.
Old 15th August 2016, 15:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,
up hill drive is not a very difficult task if its dry. But if it rains then slush makes the scenerio worse. So just be slow, judge the road ahead and then negotiate. I will prefer an Alto/i10 for there short foot prints rather than a bigger vehicle as roads are narrow. Plus it will be easier to reverse if you face an elephant in front of you.

Happy journey.
Thanks a lot, we took i10 and swift only. It did rain, just had to drive patiently. Stayed in the GH at top.
Two updates:
1. All those who have booked please double check before starting. They were talking about cancelling going forward as a big cat's cub(unconfirmed) has been seen
2. They are planning to launch package deals for dalma very soon. Should be a boon for travelers.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 12:53   #29
BHPian

Once again a brilliant travelogue Samba.
Places like these were unknown long ago except for the locals, got its fair share of name and fame due to the beauty and vistas associated with it, lost its sheen to some extent due to inadequate tourism infrastructure, lost in oblivion for different reasons primarily like maoist activity -- rejuvenated once again by people like you through your eyes, your pen, your thoughts and your unparalleled experience leading the way for others to plan for a new road trip.

Thanks would be an understatement.
As a representative of Oxford Atlas, may I ask you your next such destination?
On a serious note -- I was planning for long to drive to Jamshedpur from Kolkata. But few earlier posts in the forum specified that road near Baharghora is almost non-existent and also not very safe. Can you predict how will be tarmac after the rains and also the safety issue? (I am planning in November with my family as got charged up reading your travelogue)
subhojitb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 01:16   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhojitb View Post
Once again a brilliant travelogue Samba.
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
As a representative of Oxford Atlas, may I ask you your next such destination?
As of now there are no such plans! These small trips happen all of a sudden!

Quote:
On a serious note -- I was planning for long to drive to Jamshedpur from Kolkata. But few earlier posts in the forum specified that road near Baharghora is almost non-existent and also not very safe. Can you predict how will be tarmac after the rains and also the safety issue? (I am planning in November with my family as got charged up reading your travelogue)
Now roads are absolutely safe. Even people travelled through Lodhasuli in night with out any issues. Though i would say a day drive is always recommended, when you are with your family.

Road condition till Ghatshila was great. Ghatshila to Jamshedpur was a bit rough, plus road widening work was going on in this stretch. In November things should be fine. Over all road condition is pretty good. You can definitely go ahead with the trip with your family. Wish you a happy & safe journey in advance!

Last edited by Samba : 6th September 2016 at 01:18.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks