Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2016, 16:14   #31
BHPian

Re: Uttarakhand calling: Drive to Kedarnath & Badrinath in a Maruti 800

44Sqn. moved two places before coming back to Chandigarh in 2011 with the Gajraj. I encounter them all the time FATC and have done relays for them as well when they head up north.

I'm sure Ssambyal1980 wasn't born in 2011 ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
You would have been wrong there in any case Duke. The 44 Sqn moved out of Chandigarh long before SSambyal1980's car was registered in Chandigarh. Ssambyal1980 would have been two or three years old when 44 Sqn moved out of Chandigarh (Assuming that 1980 is Ssambyal's year of birth). Back then the Squadron was named the Himalayan Geese and flew the AN-12's. They graduated to the IL 76's and were rechristened the 'Mighty Jets' when they moved to their second home. The Mighty Jets then moved once again to a third location in 2002, if I remember correctly.
Old 27th July 2016, 16:50   #32
BHPian

Re: Uttarakhand calling: Drive to Kedarnath & Badrinath in a Maruti 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
44Sqn. moved two places before coming back to Chandigarh in 2011 with the Gajraj. I encounter them all the time FATC and have done relays for them as well when they head up north.

I'm sure Ssambyal1980 wasn't born in 2011 ;-)
Great to know that the Mighty Jets are back where they belong, together with the Himalyan Eagles. The long tarmac of 12 wing must be a great sight with two Gajraj squadrons. The best years of my life were spent on that tarmac with the venerable AN 12. The best thing about life in a transport squadron is that you get to see almost all corners of India. Some of the views and experiences are unique that can be had nowhere else.

Flying in a fully laden AN 12 on a drop sortie in the Himalyas is one such. Flying around and in between the towering mountains to approach the drop zones is an experience like none other.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks