Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2016, 18:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Lost Horizon - Ladakh

Reading the post brought tears to my eyes. The person who sacrificed himself for most of us Indians was a son, a father, a friend, a husband and many more for many more people whom we do not know. Yes, it is Bhipans utmost responsibility to respect the freedom that we enjoy and pass it on to our younger generations. It is a promise made to ourselves that we, true indians, will even not hesitate to lay down our lives for safeguarding this country. Jai Hind
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 20:21   #17
BHPian

So few words and so much said.

What a brilliant travelogue, earthian.The pictures are a treat to watch. Having done just one trip to Ladakh I can second you that the pictures while looking digitally enhanced hardly do justice to the vibrance of that land.

Looking forward to the rest of the travelogue.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 20:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Reading the post brought tears to my eyes...
I have made a solemn promise to myself to take every opportunity i get in making known the sacrifices made by our valiant soldiers. To this end, what i would like to do is get soldiers like Capt. Bana Singh, PVC and have an interaction at schools and colleges.
Quote:
It is a promise made to ourselves that we, true indians, will even not hesitate to lay down our lives for safeguarding this country. Jai Hind
Does the heart good to hear from die hard, passionate patriots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
What a brilliant travelogue, earthian.
Looking forward to the rest of the travelogue.
Thank you, Sting. Shall post it. Was not sure if the forum members enjoyed the rest of the travelogue (after Kargil) but am reassured now. Thanks again.
Old 30th July 2016, 09:23   #19
BHPian

Pangong Tso - Leh - Srinagar: End of a beautiful trip:

We were nearing the end of our journey. The next morning, got up leisurely (read 0700 hrs) and after breakfast of alu parathas were off to Leh.
As mentioned previously, there are very few lodging places adjoining the lake itself, with Pangong Inn and Changla Queen being the only non-tented accommodation here. The three Idiots movie had made this place well known and as can be seen, most of the eating joints had something reference or the other to the movie.

Lost Horizon - Ladakh-dsc_1836.jpg
Lost Horizon - Ladakh-dsc_1838.jpg

Our drivers had informed us that we were running low on diesel and we needed at least 10 litres per car, if not more. The nearest pump was some 50 kms away. We stopped at the Army garrison, but they could not help. Selling of diesel was strictly prohibited. No doubt, due to quite a few like us running to the Army, when we were in trouble. However, in a nearby village, we could get a twenty gallon can and were happy. All of us were quiet this morning, no doubt in our own thoughts and maybe slightly tired too.

Lost Horizon - Ladakh-dsc_1876.jpg
Lost Horizon - Ladakh-dsc_1866hdr.jpg

We were moving at a fast clip, and as i said earlier, each one was quiet with his/her thoughts and the drivers, glad that there were no requests for (frequent) stops, made good time. Till, of course a hold up! An army truck had broken down and there was a queue. Unlike Sonemarg ( and the goda wallahs driving a Sumo) people were pretty disciplined here and waited patiently. A far cry from Apnu Amdavad where such discipline is unheard of.

Lost Horizon - Ladakh-dsc_1880.jpg

We reached Changla pass and got down to stretch our legs.

Lost Horizon - Ladakh-dsc_1848.jpg
Lost Horizon - Ladakh-dsc_1851.jpg

After ChangLa pass, we had a fairly smooth trip, till we encountered a diversion, due to road repairs. The temporary road ( for want of a better word) had craters so huge that would give an inferiority complex to the moon, and the going was slow.

Lost Horizon - Ladakh-dsc_1883.jpg

We reached Leh at about 1800 hrs and stayed put. Enough travelling. The body felt as if it was subjected to a wash in a washing machine, and at full load, to boot. We retired after a frugal dinner, since the next morning it was back to Srinagar. I took one last photo of the evening.

Lost Horizon - Ladakh-dsc_1887.jpg

We were to start at 0500 hrs the next morning and drive straight to Srinagar. However, in a rare case of indiscipline or rather tardiness, our drivers came 45 minutes late! We drove straight to Srinagar without the usual stops and broke once for lunch and once for waiting for the other car which was stuck, whats new?, at Zojila pass. We took 13.5 hours from Leh to Srinagar.
We had originally planned to stay at Srinagar for three days, having not seen the area before, but after Ladakh, we wanted to treasure the memories without any clutter. We therefore pre-poned our tickets to the afternoon flight on the 2nd and were back home by 2200 hrs. Not before the obligatory shopping for dry fruits and pashmina shawls, of course.

Lost Horizon - Ladakh-dsc_1893.jpg

Thus ended our Ladakh sojourn. In conclusion, the last stanza of William Wordsworth's poem comes to mind:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the ladakhis.

With due apologies to WW for changing the last word.

Ladakh is a must visit for people who like nature, landscapes, the sheer expanse and solitude. I believe that it is best seen on a bike.
In deference to some requests from friends, a final and only photo of mine, while i wait for the sun to set!

Lost Horizon - Ladakh-thumb_img_0272_1024.jpg

Thank you for your encouragement and hope you liked the travelogue as much as i enjoyed writing it.
earthian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 10:26   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

This picture of yours with those beautiful Alsatian Dogs.
Whose dogs are they?
The Army's?
Or are they pets?
Beautiful fellows.
Attached Thumbnails
Lost Horizon - Ladakh-screenshot-20160730-10.24.48.png  

Old 30th July 2016, 10:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
... beautiful Alsatian Dogs.
Whose dogs are they?
Beautiful fellows.
They are guard dogs of the Army. Beautiful, aren't they? When i whistled they came up, jumped and enjoyed the petting. Maybe, they could recognise a dog lover, and a German Shepard fan.
Old 30th July 2016, 11:57   #22
BHPian

Lovely thread. And great pics. Thanks. One can get an idea of the grandeur and tranquility of that place through your words and pictures. Pity that circumstances require an army to be posted there to keep things in check.

The best picture is of that of the night sky. Id go there just to see that!

Last edited by naturaldisaster : 30th July 2016 at 12:18. Reason: typo
naturaldisaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 12:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
Lovely thread. And great pics.
Am glad you liked it.
Quote:
Pity that circumstances require an army to be posted there to keep things in check.
Unfortunate indeed.
Quote:
The best picture is of that of the might sky.
Here is one taken at Nubra valley
Attached Thumbnails
Lost Horizon - Ladakh-dsc_1218.jpg  

Last edited by earthian : 30th July 2016 at 12:11. Reason: house keeping
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 12:23   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post

Here is one taken at Nubra valley

Fascinating! It is at times like these that we can really see the mirror and realize how small an insignificant we are in this universe, worrying about our jobs, fashion, what people think of us, etc. Glad you got to enjoy this brief glimpse of the real universe. Hopefully i will too soon.
naturaldisaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 13:35   #25
BHPian

Very well covered and moving travelogue. one can simply understand that you are definitely impressed with the armed forces. However i am little confused; as you have adequately covered all the major points of interest enroute, but the omission of Lamayuru is glaring. Its one of the most astonishing natural wonder on the way.
dinesh6481 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 13:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesh6481 View Post
one can simply understand that you are definitely impressed with the armed forces.
Yes, i am. Having realised pretty late, and hence having not contributed to their efforts or having appreciated their efforts, am trying to make up for lost time.
Quote:
....the omission of Lamayuru is glaring.
Yes, unfortunately we had to miss quite a lot since our trip was short. In fact, i would have liked to come back via Manali route. If you notice:
1st night: Kargil
2nd night: Leh
3rd night: Leh
4th night: Nubra valley
5th night: Pangong Tso
6th night: Leh
Would have liked to stay at least 3 nights more, but it did not suit the others. Well, it means i shall have to go again.
Old 31st July 2016, 11:58   #27
BHPian

What a wonderful read Earthian. Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts of the trip,which is on the bucket list of most of fellow BHPians. Lovely pictures too.You have very nicely brought out the yeomen service being done by the Indian Army and the BRO in that inhospitable environment. We as responsible group should try and advocate the ethos they represent of selfless service to the nation in whatever capacity we can. In-spite of being surely and steadily pushed to the lower pecking order they have steadfastly stuck to their resolve of remaining apolitical. I hope the nation realizes that before all is lost.
Again it is sad to see the irresponsible way the tourists behave,leaving litter behind ,jostling for space to get the photographs clicked,being loud, with total disregard to the fellow travelers. I guess we are stuck with this for eternity,but it leaves a bad taste and spoils what other wise would have been a wonderful experience.
Ramanjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 14:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramanjit View Post
In-spite of being surely and steadily pushed to the lower pecking order they have steadfastly stuck to their resolve of remaining apolitical. I hope the nation realizes that before all is lost.
i don't think they are being pushed to the lower pecking order. On the contrary, i believe that the government now understands the contribution of the forces and is addressing all issues expeditiously.

Quote:
Again it is sad to see the irresponsible way the tourists behave,leaving litter behind ,jostling for space to get the photographs clicked,being loud, with total disregard to the fellow travelers.
Yes, some do behave irresponsibly. Again, the solution is to start young and sensitise them in school itself about the need to protect the environment and ensure they develop social graces. Secondly, shame them when they behave irresponsibly. When we were at the airport and the flight was boarding, we were standing in a queue. While i could understand ( if not condone) anxious adults trying to cut the queue; what got my goat is when i saw a young adult girl, maybe in her late teens or early 20's also cutting the queue. It was clear from her bearing and outfit that she was from a well to do family, and probably was studying abroad. I had to speak to her and she had the grace to feel ashamed.
Old 3rd August 2016, 14:35   #29
BHPian

Informative, well compiled log with equally good photographs.

I have included it in my collection of ready reference travelogue library.
Nempuguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 17:10   #30
BHPian

Brilliant Travelogue. I am planning to do a 15 day roadtrip from Hyderabad and have shortlisted Sikkim & Ladakh. While Ladakh is the preferred location, I am told by a lot of folks that its closed in October. I am planning to do the following route.
Hyd - Ahmedabad - Srinagar - Leh - Srinagar - Delhi/Agra - Nagpur - Hyderabad. I wanted to check if doing Srinagar-Leh-Srinagar between 4th Oct - 10th Oct is doable. I have also read threads where they say that while Ladakh is officially closed, the roads are still open with minimum options for stay and food. Any inputs on this would help earthian
joelchandra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed