Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2016, 19:47   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka

6.2: Jog Falls (continued)

After about a kilometer and half from that bridge, I reached the main view point.

The parking lot had a lot of vehicles:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0153_6.jpg

And the view point was also pretty crowded:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0158_1.jpg

Much better view of the falls from this side (compared to the first point I went to); however, it was a bit disappointing to see only so much water even in monsoon:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc03472.jpg

Zooming on towards the bottom of the falls gave mesmerizing views of the water:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc03476.jpg

My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc03478.jpg

My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc03492.jpg

The walkway around the falls:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0168_3.jpg

This other side of the walkway was also crowded:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc03469.jpg

There were these nice looking cottages hidden in the forests, overlooking the falls. Must be a nice place to stay:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc03470.jpg

Some other cottages/hotel tucked away in the trees:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc03480.jpg

The other branch of the falls:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc03487.jpg

A couple of more views of the falls:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc03488.jpg

My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc03489.jpg

Suddenly, clouds came in and the valley got hidden again:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc03490.jpg

Clouds were playing magic. Just as quickly they came in, they moved out revealing the views again:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc03494.jpg

A couple of parting shots of the waterfalls, showing the play of clouds:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0162_2.jpg

My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0165_4.jpg

After Jog Falls, now it was time to go to Shimoga, my last stay on this drive. Drive from Jog Falls to Shimoga was a very straightforward one, quite literally.

By the time I crossed Jog Falls, I had climbed the entire Western Ghats, and now I was on the plateu, which continues all the way till Bangalore. From here till home, there were no more mountains, no more ghats, it was all flat and straight (relatively).

The straight and flat roads from Jog Falls to Shimoga:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0174_2.jpg

The views of the green farms around were still scenic:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0173_2.jpg

Of course, even on such relatively straight road, there were occasional turns:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0176_1.jpg

After a couple of turns, back to straight roads:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0178_3.jpg

Dusty on the penultimate drive of this week-long wandering:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0179_3.jpg

Beautiful green farms around:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0184_3.jpg

Then after a short drive, I reached Shimoga, and checked into Royal Orchid
Central, Shimoga:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0197_4.jpg

My room. The hotel turned out to be quite nice, and the room was indeed very nice, clean and comfortable.
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0186_2.jpg

My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0189_3.jpg

My week-long drive was almost over now. It would have been an understatement to say it was thrilling. It had turned out to be even more exciting and enjoyable than I had thought. Now it was only a relatively short and simple drive back to home next day. I rested and relaxed in my room, recollecting my thoughts and memories from the last few days, which seemed almost magical. After an early dinner, I went to bed.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 4th August 2016 at 11:35.
Dr.AD is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 20:33   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka

Day 7: Shimoga - Bangalore

This was the last day of this drive. It was time to go home, after 6 wonderful days of driving and visiting amazing places. I was feeling very happy and satisfied with the drive, with countless memories still overwhelming my mind. And I was now looking forward to go home.

I had a wonderful breakfast in this nice little hotel. Among other things, I had this classic and yummy breakfast food, true to the region I was in:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0204_4.jpg

The roads from Shimoga to Bangalore are all straight and flat. Some scenic sections near Bhadravati Forest Reserves:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0207_3.jpg

Dusty on the last leg of this journey:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0211_4.jpg

This road had its fair share of traffic, with buses and trucks plying on it, as you can see here:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0218_4.jpg

No more thick forests and jungles now, but the farm land surrounding the road was still beautiful:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0219_4.jpg

After wandering aimlessly through forests, beaches, and hills, Dusty on these flat roads now:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0222_4.jpg

"Straight Drive":
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0229_3.jpg

Then just around Channarayapattana (C. R. Pattana as it is locally known), I joined NH75 - The Bangalore- Mangalore highway (earlier it was NH48 - I don't know why they changed the highway numbers now; it causes so much confusion).

Now I was on this four-lane highway, reminding me that I was back in the urban area:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0238_5.jpg

A quick break for an early lunch at this place:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0249_2.jpg

Wanted some simple and light lunch. And this yummy curd-rice was perfect:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0248_3.jpg

Back to the picturesque four-lane highway:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc03499.jpg

Which had its fare share of traffic too:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc03498.jpg

Dusty on the last lap. Almost home:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc03502.jpg

When I reached home, the trip meter read 2040.1km:
My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka-dsc_0251_3.jpg

With this, it was the end of this incredible journey. What fun, what joy! I was lost in my thoughts when I reached home - still overwhelmed by the experiences I just had.

Dusty was an amazing companion on this journey. She handled the conditions perfectly, without even a hint of any problem. Bravo!

And before ending this, I thank you for reading this travelogue, which turned out to be way too long. Thank you very much!

That's all folks.

Thanks,
-AD

Last edited by Dr.AD : 4th August 2016 at 15:09.
Dr.AD is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 15:34   #33
Team-BHP Support

That is one mother of all travelogues! Thanks for sharing.

cheers
Jaggu

Mod note: Moving thread from Assembly line to Travelogue section.
Jaggu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 18:20   #34
Team-BHP Support

Wow!!! This looks like one big and interesting read on a rainy afternoon! Thanks for sharing with us.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 18:34   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I have not read such thread before, AD. This is epic. Rating well deserved 5 stars.

You were in my backyard actually - literally. I grew up in Kolhapur and seen this flooding situation almost every year. The kind of trouble we used to take to reach our relatives places in this flooding still brings those old memories back and goosebumps too! Glad that you made all the right decisions to choose the route. You had been through the most mesmerising "green" experience!

I have only finished reading this travelogue in rush. Tonight I will read this line by line and word by word!

An awesome trip you had for sure and the best read so far in the travelogue section!

Last edited by abirnale : 4th August 2016 at 18:41.
abirnale is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 18:50   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
That is one mother of all travelogues! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Jaggu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Wow!!! This looks like one big and interesting read on a rainy afternoon! Thanks for sharing with us.
Thanks Zappo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
I have not read such thread before, AD. This is epic. Rating well deserved 5 stars.

You were in my backyard actually - literally. I grew up in Kolhapur and seen this flooding situation almost every year. The kind of trouble we used to take to reach our relatives places in this flooding still brings those old memories back and goosebumps too! Glad that you made all the right decisions to choose the route. You had been through the most mesmerising "green" experience!

I have only finished reading this travelogue in rush. Tonight I will read this line by line and word by word!

An awesome trip you had for sure and the best read so far in the travelogue section!
Thanks a lot abirnale. Yes, I was in your backyards. And I must say I was bowled over by the hospitality and the charm I experienced there. It is a lovely land.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 18:57   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

!

Simply awesome Doc. Nothing can come close to driving solo on the roads that you have taken and in rains.

You have managed to run the show quite brilliantly with good pauses in a relaxed mode over 7 days and that is the best part about this drive. You have touched most of the interesting POIs around your stay too.

Couple of us were here on the weekend of 22nd on a 3 day drive and your photos made me realize it was raining cats and dogs while we drove and the pics that I have give a totally different view of the same sections including that of the Jaigad Ferry point where there was none (Market) but just us and rains pouncing from up above.

Solo and then your own play list, your own driving style, taking those corners in your own way without bothering about the passengers inside, occasional roar from that engine as you almost redline while you upshift, roll down the window for a while and hear the wind noise intrude into the cabin, stop wherever you want, eat whatever you wish & the list just goes on & on......

Undoubtedly this one deserves 5 Stars for the humongous effort taken to document this and that wicked idea of driving solo and going to these places during the best season of the year. Superb!
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 19:39   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
!

Simply awesome Doc. Nothing can come close to driving solo on the roads that you have taken and in rains.

You have managed to run the show quite brilliantly with good pauses in a relaxed mode over 7 days and that is the best part about this drive. You have touched most of the interesting POIs around your stay too.
Thanks a lot! I am a big fan of your own writings and your knowledge about roads is legendary. Therefore, you saying that I took best roads means a lot. Thank you!

Quote:
Solo and then your own play list, your own driving style, taking those corners in your own way without bothering about the passengers inside, occasional roar from that engine as you almost redline while you upshift, roll down the window for a while and hear the wind noise intrude into the cabin, stop wherever you want, eat whatever you wish & the list just goes on & on......
Exactly! You summed it very well.

Quote:
Undoubtedly this one deserves 5 Stars for the humongous effort taken to document this and that wicked idea of driving solo and going to these places during the best season of the year. Superb!
Thanks. Even I am surprised about how I documented everything. I think this is one of the secrets of solo traveling. Since there is nobody else to share you experience right there, you tend to pay a lot more attention and try to document everything more meticulously. Here is another travel quote that I really like, and that explains this documentation habits in solo travelers:

When you’re traveling with someone else, you share each discovery, but when you are alone, you have to carry each experience with you like a secret, something you have to write on your heart, because there’s no other way to preserve it.” — Shauna Niequist
Dr.AD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 20:50   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Super travelogue AD

The more i see/hear about amba ghat & konkan, the greater the desire to pack a bag and get going. In general I think local roads and SH's tend to be in much better condition than the high traffic NHs - this is based on the roads I have driven in KA over the last few months plus what you have shared here. I am slowly but surely starting to believe that there is always a scenic & less hectic route to any destination - one only needs to look a little and ask the experts

Thanks for sharing details of local eateries where we can sample tasty local food. Now where do I go to satiate my craving for authentic maharashtrian vada/misal pav in north bangalore!
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 09:16   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Super travelogue AD
Thanks a lot procrj.

Quote:
The more i see/hear about amba ghat & konkan, the greater the desire to pack a bag and get going. In general I think local roads and SH's tend to be in much better condition than the high traffic NHs - this is based on the roads I have driven in KA over the last few months plus what you have shared here. I am slowly but surely starting to believe that there is always a scenic & less hectic route to any destination - one only needs to look a little and ask the experts
Yes, you should go to Amba Ghat and the Konkan in general. I am a fan of your own travelogues, and knowing how you enjoy scenic drives and places, I am sure you will love the roads in Konkan. Amba Ghat is just awesome. And not just the ghat (the actual ghat is not that long anyways), but the road before and after the ghat is also very scenic.

I agree with you in general about the local roads and state highways. I have also seen many beautiful state highways in both Karnataka and Maharashtra. However, it can backfire too. Many such roads are in terrible condition. So one should take such roads only if they know the roads are good or if they are in a mood to experiment (like I was). As you said, checking with experts is the best thing to do.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing details of local eateries where we can sample tasty local food. Now where do I go to satiate my craving for authentic maharashtrian vada/misal pav in north bangalore!
Not sure about North Bangalore, but I know some places in South Bangalore/Koramangala area. Since it would be off-topic here, PM me if you are interested.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 5th August 2016 at 09:17.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 09:44   #41
BHPian

Re: My monsoon solo: 2000 km & 7 days of wandering through Konkan, Goa and Western Karnataka

Amazing travelogue AD, thanks for sharing...
@procrj, if ever you come to south Bangalore side, try Rajvardhan foods in Jayanagar for your misal pav, sabudana kichidi fix.
https://www.zomato.com/bangalore/raj...oods-jayanagar
mazda4life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 14:15   #42
BHPian

Dr AD... I really enjoyed reading each and every line of your travelogue as much as you enjoyed penning them down. I really appreciate your guts for having carried on instead of giving up despite the heavy floods in Kolhapur. Also, kudos to you for having taken your 'Dusty' to the road less travelled and having the enjoyed the solo ride with her.

Even the roads around the Konkan region with lush green surroundings were pleasant to watch from the photos. I wish I could muster the courage to do a round trip along the coast with my family if not alone.

Rating a well deserved 5 star..... Waiting for some more interesting travelogues from you sir.

Cheers!!
Aficionado
AutoAficionado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 14:17   #43
BHPian

Amazing travelogue, loved every bit of it! I belong to the same category of people who go in search of divine 'journey' rather a specific destination A smaller yet similar version of my journey coming up soon here.
Teesh@BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 14:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

No words to praise this meticulous travelogue Anand Literally it was a virtual drive for me and read the entire travelogue in one go. Rated 5 stars.

Exploring these scenic roads, valleys is truly an adventure by itself and especially when you are driving solo. And IMO no drive is completed and interesting, without facing any challenges during the drive.

I would like to appreciate the mindset you had to overcome the hurdles after Kolhapur and continue towards the destination you had planned for

Will look forward to meet you in person during our Pondy meet and listen to your experiences.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 15:16   #45
BHPian

Simply Amazing AD. I wish to see the Konkan in monsoons. It was like deja vu for me, you just lived my dream, a self driven journey in the green and soaked Konkan. Unfortunately, I'm never able to plan one since I'm too far away in the chaotic capital city of Delhi.

Edit: Rated 5 Golden Ones.

Last edited by desiaztec : 5th August 2016 at 15:18. Reason: Rating added.
desiaztec is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed