Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2016, 10:30   #1
BANNED

Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana

After a lot of discussions with friends and colleagues on where one can go for a day to have a break from the routine life and get views of some scenic creations. Many times I was suggested Kuntala Waterfalls but I had my doubts on if there would be water in there to see anything. One of my friend had been there 8 days back and recommended me for a Day's trip. Since I had only off on Sunday, it was decided to visit the waterfalls on the coming Sunday (31.07.2016).

Pre-trip checks:
  • Air Top-up (Spare tyre too);
  • Full tank of diesel;
  • Music collection;
  • 12V Air compressor;
  • Tubeless tyre puncture repair kit;
  • Some biscuits and chocolates to munch on the way;
  • Sufficient change to cater at the toll-booths.

Slept early on the Saturday night to wake up early and leave home by 05:00 am. As usual getting up at 04:00 am never happened. I woke up at 06:00 am and jumped out of bed to get ready so that we could leave by 07:00 am at least.

Had a quick shower and breakfast, we left home by 07:00 am. It was a cloudy morning with no sign of the sun coming out from the cloud cover. Weather reports on my mobile suggested partly raining too.

Route is simple and straightforward: Attaching it from the below source

Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-nirmal_adilabad_tourist_roadmap.jpg

SOURCE: Kuntala Waterfalls - History & Route Map

Route map in detail:

Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-route-map.jpg

Suchitra Junction (My House location) > Kompally > Medchal > Kallakal > Jeedipally > Masaipet > Vallor > Narsingi > Ramayampet > Bhiknoor > Athloor > Padmajiwadi > Gannaram > Dichpally > Argul > Balkonda > Soanpet > Ganjal > Nirmal > Neredigonda... From Suchitra to Neredigonda it is NH 7 / NH 44 which is 230 kms.

From Neredigonda > Sowergaon > Kuntala Waterfalls it is a single lane road that is 13 kms.

Here are Toll details en-route the Waterfalls from Hyderabad. A total of 5 toll booth's:

Toll No.1: Located at Manoharabad. Cost for a Multiple ticket is ₹105/-
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-toll-no.-01.jpg

Toll No.2: Located at Bhiknoor. Cost for a Multiple ticket is ₹95/-
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-toll-no.-02.jpg

Toll No.3: Located at Dichpally. Cost for a Multiple ticket is ₹90/-
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-toll-no.-03.jpg

Toll No.4: Located at Gamjal Village. Cost for a Multiple ticket is ₹65/-
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-toll-no.-04.jpg

Toll No.5: Located at Rolmamda Village. Cost for a Multiple ticket is ₹110/-
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-toll-no.-05.jpg

Total Toll Booth cost: ₹465

Parking Slip at Kuntala Falls: Cost is ₹50/-
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-parking-slip.jpg

Last edited by a4anurag : 4th August 2016 at 12:29.
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 10:44   #2
BANNED

re: Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana

A bit of history and information on Kuntala Waterfalls:

It has got its name from Shakuntala the wife of King Dushyanth which is the local belief.

This waterfalls is the highest in the state that us 150 feet high that gets its water from the River Kadem which is a tributary of Godavari. The waterfalls is located in the Sahaydri Mountain Range that has dense forests to boost the beauty of the scenery.

The force and flow of the water at this falls is determined by the amount of water released from the Kaddam Reservoir. It was this uncertainty that was having me in doubt whether water would be sufficiently present when we go 250 kms one way from home.

Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-kuntala-earth-view.jpg

Coming to the waterfalls:

One needs to reach the foot of falls by going down 419 steps. While going to the water falls it is easy as one doesn't get tired but it while returning one realises the pain. It is a sight to experience by all and can't be put in words. Never knew such waterfalls too existed near Hyderabad that is doable in a day thanks to the fantastic four-lane highway spanning throughout the trip's length.

There is a larger size water falls and a smaller one, though entry is restricted to the foot of the falls, many visitors did break the fencing and get to it. Within no time there were Police in vigilance to get the visitors off the foot of the falls as till now this falls has taken 80+ lives of visitors who went in heroically but couldn't come back.

My wife and I went till the rocky bed alongside the water flow where we sat down and had some snacks while enjoying the beauty of the water gushing down the rocks lifting a fine mist of water in the air that made us feel colder almost shivering since the temperature was just 22 degrees that morning. Being a remote area, no hotel or food is available other than Chips, Cool drinks and Water located at the parking lot.

A request to all Readers (Members & Guest Readers)

The Kuntala Waterfalls is so scenic and beautiful that I felt like building a house near the mountains so that I can keep viewing these falls forever with the lush-thick greenery around.

At one side of the view it such beauty but the other side it is a horrific and irritating scene to see food strewn around, beer bottles, chips packets, gutkha's etc spoiling the whole beauty of it. Not that I can do much to improve but I did tell many of them to use the dustbins rather than throwing it there itself. Come'on all... Swatcch Bharath applies here too!

Last edited by a4anurag : 4th August 2016 at 12:24.
a4anurag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 11:30   #3
BANNED

Here are some pictures and videos of the trip

1) Pictures:

At the start of the journey
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-1.-start-journey.jpg

On the NH 7 - 4 lane highway (Paradise for any road lover)
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-2.-img_20160731_121758.jpg

Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-3.-img_20160731_123007.jpg

Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-4.-img_20160731_122224.jpg

Neredi Gonda - Sign board (Climb the bridge to find this....
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-5.-neredigonda-sign-post.jpg

... Kuntala Falls - Sign board (Do NOT take the bridge. Go underneath and take a right if coming from Hyderabad side)
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-6.-solo-board-identification.jpg

13 kms of single lane tree-covered road leading to the Falls
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-7.-enroute-kuntala-falls.jpg

Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-8.-img_20160731_113947.jpg

Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-9.-img_20160731_114035.jpg

Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-10.-img_20160731_114331.jpg

Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-11.-img_20160731_115427.jpg

Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-12.-img_20160731_115659.jpg

Another sign board showing the direction & distance to the falls
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-13.-kuntala-falls-direction-dist.jpg

Other attractions near the Falls (We didn't visit though)
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-14.-other-attractions-around.jpg

My Blue Streak at the parking lot
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-15.-parking-lot-kuntala.jpg

Finally... After 3 hours drive and 15 minutes walk to the waterfalls... here she is
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-16.-img_20160731_104618.jpg

Water gushing down..
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-17.-img_20160731_104610.jpg

Dense jungle around
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-18.-img_20160731_105408.jpg

Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-19.-img_20160731_110050.jpg

One way distance from home to the Parking lot
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-20.-one-way-distance-home.jpg

Total trip distance: Home to Kuntala to Home - 516 kms
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-fro-total-distance.jpg

2) Videos:

1. Onward Journey - On the NH7

2.Scenic Beauty with phenomenal roads nearing the falls

3. Single Lane Road leading to the Falls

4. At the foot of the waterfalls

5. Return Journey - On the NH7

NOTE: Please watch the videos in HD (720p) mode for a clear and better view.

Last edited by a4anurag : 4th August 2016 at 12:31.
a4anurag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 12:19   #4
BANNED

Last but not the least: I'll want to put down a few words on how my car behaved all throughout the trip.

Speeds maintained throughout the journey (Clicked by my wife, NOT me )
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-speeds-maintained-mostly.jpg

Average FE at the end of the trip and final odometer after the trip
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-average-fe-trip-specifically-odo-end.jpg

IMO, this car is a blessing to all who love to drive either sedately or pedal to metal style. Very much composed and ready tackle any kind of surface or situation thrown at it. I had 1 close call at a junction where a dog crossed half the road but later decided to head back rather than crossing completely. Thanks to ABS and my reaction time, Dog and my car were safe and my house who was sleeping at that time didn't realise the emergency maneuver.

Enroute the falls, there were places were the cross-winds were high and I could feel the car getting pushed by the wind so I did lower the windows a bit which made the car bit stable.

Had reset the average FE at the start and by the time I was home it gave me a nice figure to see of 20.7 kmpl. This is with 2 on-board cruising between 90-120 kmph with 80% A/C usage at 23 degrees set temperature.

I was not in a hurry so kept the speed near 100 kmph for most of the time where one can relax a bit and enjoy the scenery rather than gunning her all the time.

Wish I had a DSLR that would have made the trip even more beautiful with better quality images + videos of the falls and my car with scenery in the backdrop. I am saving more to get one ASAP.

Parting Shot: Standing elegantly at road leading to the Falls
Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana-img_20160731_114246.jpg

A summary

Time: 3 hours one way
Distance: 254.5 kms
Total distance: 516 kms
Speeds maintained: 90 to 110 kmph
Average FE: 20.7 kmpl

Hope you all enjoyed reading it. This is the first time I heading out and posting in the Travelogues section.

Thanks for reading guys.

Last edited by a4anurag : 4th August 2016 at 12:23.
a4anurag is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 13:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 14:12   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Enroute the falls, there were places were the cross-winds were high and I could feel the car getting pushed by the wind so I did lower the windows a bit which made the car bit stable.

Thanks for reading guys.
Hi Anurag,
I am planning a trip on Sunday 14th. I have shortlisted Srisailam and Kuntala as the possible destinations. I have a few queries. If you could help me out here, I would be grateful.

1. How much time does the one way journey to Kuntala take?

2. Is there any safety concerns for ladies at the place or anywhere enroute?

3. Any good place to eat enroute, which has decent restrooms?

4. Which would be a better place to visit, spend a few hours and return? I am sure you must have visited Srisailam too.

Thanks in advance,
Ashis
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 16:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Hi Anurag,
I am planning a trip on Sunday 14th. I have shortlisted Srisailam and Kuntala as the possible destinations. I have a few queries. If you could help me out here, I would be grateful.

4. Which would be a better place to visit, spend a few hours and return? I am sure you must have visited Srisailam too.

Thanks in advance,
Ashis

Hello Ashis,

Both the places ( Srisailam & Kuntala Falls ) are of same distance but in opposite directions. The road to Kuntala is really good with some scenic beauties all the way. There are couple of Dhabas & tiffin centers enroute which serve decent food. If you are travelling with family & kids better to carry some snacks & other stuff as a precautionary measure as not everyone likes food at all places.

The route to Srisailam on the other hand is mixed ( a bit of ghat section, plain stretch, drive through forest ), but you will enjoy the drive for sure. There are couple of other places in & around Srisailam which you can cover if its a 2 day trip like Mahanandi, a boat ride to the caves & deep jungle jeep safari for asta laxmi temple. During Shiva ratri time, there is a place called Silleswaram which will be open to public which involves a trek into the forest for around 15 kms.

Think of these options & plan your trip accordingly. Happy driving
venkikewl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 18:16   #8
BHPian

Hi Anurag,

Are there any good hotels to stay at Nirmal or a place close by. If we intend to stay overnight and visit few other places, what would that be. Can you please suggest.
Old 4th August 2016, 20:21   #9
BANNED

Quote:

1. 3 hours one way. From my home to Kuntala Falls, it was a non stop journey with does maximum 110 kmph.

2. No issue buddy. It is safe with police patrol around.

3. Nothing near the Falls area. We had lunch at one restaurant named Krishna Sai Kitchens (IIRC). I lost the good book else would have posted here. It had decent restrooms.

4. For a quick drive and back, this Falls is better but for an overall scenic drive with an overnight to, I'll vote for Srisailam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelchandra View Post
Are there any good hotels to stay at Nirmal or a place close by.
Frankly no idea buddy. We didn't venture much into Nirmal town. Though some online searches did suggest that the are decent hotels to stay in Nirmal.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 21:34   #10
BHPian

Good one Anurag. Have been planning to visit this place for over the past few weeks with the kind of lovely weather we are having in Hyderabad, but it just hasn't worked out yet.

Your report provides good details on the road conditions and the latest situation.

Need to plan one soon before the monsoon season ends. You think with the kind of rainfall we are having, there should be more water near the falls?
manas_270 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 22:11   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas_270 View Post
You think with the kind of rainfall we are having, there should be more water near the falls?
Do plan buddy.

The water in the Kuntala Falls depends on the outflow from the Kadem Reservoir. As long as we have decent rains, the waterfalls will be good enough to visit.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 09:48   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Road-trip to Kuntala Waterfalls, Telangana

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkikewl View Post
Hello Ashis,

The route to Srisailam on the other hand is mixed ( a bit of ghat section, plain stretch, drive through forest ), but you will enjoy the drive for sure. There are couple of other places in & around Srisailam which you can cover if its a 2 day trip like Mahanandi, a boat ride to the caves & deep jungle jeep safari for asta laxmi temple. During Shiva ratri time, there is a place called Silleswaram which will be open to public which involves a trek into the forest for around 15 kms.

Think of these options & plan your trip accordingly. Happy driving
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
4. For a quick drive and back, this Falls is better but for an overall scenic drive with an overnight to, I'll vote for Srisailam.
Thanks a lot. So, as per your suggestions I will ahead with Srisailam. But unlike both of you suggested, this will be a one day trip for me. I am expecting 4 hours each way of journey time and 2-4 hours of sight-seeing. I hope this is doable?

Secondly, I know there are two routes, one directly from Exit 14 (IIRC) of ORR and the other from Jedcharla (which is longer by 40-50 kms). Irrespective of the distance, which is the better way? Or if both the routes have a different charm and should be experienced once each, which is a better route drive at dusk?

Sorry for raining so many questions and thanks in advance.

regards,
Ashis
Old 5th August 2016, 12:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. So, as per your suggestions I will ahead with Srisailam. But unlike both of you suggested, this will be a one day trip for me. I am expecting 4 hours each way of journey time and 2-4 hours of sight-seeing. I hope this is doable?

Secondly, I know there are two routes, one directly from Exit 14 (IIRC) of ORR and the other from Jedcharla (which is longer by 40-50 kms). Irrespective of the distance, which is the better way? Or if both the routes have a different charm and should be experienced once each, which is a better route drive at dusk?

Sorry for raining so many questions and thanks in advance.

regards,
Ashis
Ashis,

I would suggest a 2 day trip to Srisailam as you cant cover the major attractions in a single day & it would be real tiresome too. Both the routes are a bit similar, if you travel often on ORR, opt for Jedcharla route. If you want any detour via small villages, you can opt for that too. But opt for 2 day trip
venkikewl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 14:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nice road trip and clicks.

Can you give some information on the WLS some 80KMs ahead, as seen in the signboards. What one can expect there to see, stay? Is that place worth a drive?
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 16:42   #15
BHPian

Great travelogue
Hardly any water in the waterfalls...i have seen full gushing water around 4-5 years back...
paharino1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks