Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2016, 16:33   #16

Re: Ecstatic Bhutan and lush green Dooars in a Toyota Etios

Your log is so mature with required inputs, it would excite even the laggards to plan this drive. Wonderful pictures even in peak monsoon ! what breath taking beauties ! Your narration never betrays the agonies you had to face and that even with Parents as co-travellers . Travelled by air/hired car last April so could very well relate to your descriptions sans monsoon part. Samba, shall wait for such logs .
sanjoy50 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 20:35   #17
BHPian

Oh my God ! Just Beautiful ! Amazing travelogue and eye soothing pictures.

Kudos to you for driving a sedan through such tough terrains during monsoons and foggy weather. It is definitely a 'out-of-the-box' thought to most people.

This is the best part of travel.You come across many interesting people from around the world.A special mention to the guy cycling around Bhutan and those travelers from UK in their hired autos.

Last edited by Syed_Munazzir : 15th August 2016 at 20:53. Reason: Spell check
Syed_Munazzir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 21:30   #18
Team-BHP Support

Beautiful pics and travelogue Samba! I had been to Bhutan a long time back and have been planning to go once more for quite sometime now. Somehow or other it is not happening. Hopefully sometime this year and your travelogue will be immensely helpful. Sorry to have missed meeting you near Bagdogra this time.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 00:15   #19
BHPian

Enjoyed the excellent travelogue thoroughly. Bhutan is really picturesque. The captures are stunning. Thanks to you once again, another place of visit added to my bucket list.

The hero of this trip for me is Dr.Sengupta. The way he was guiding and encouraging you at the tough spots was really nothing short of inspirational. I would love to have my dad riding shotgun on my road trips, the presence of that man increases my confidence manifolds, must be the same with you.

Congratulations on another super successful trip. Keep them coming and inspire us all.
mi2n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 13:21   #20
BHPian

Fantastic travelogue Samba
I was a little sleepy and peeped into the forum to refresh! Wah! Feeling bright after browsing through Bhutan through your camera. Photos speak for the beauty! You have captured the breathtaking locations, peaks including night photography well complementing with a nice writeup. Deserves all the stars available! Thanks for detailing the trip bits on permits, rules and reviews on hotels. Am certain, this logue will be one of the reference point for future Bhutan visitors. Keep revving
Raaj* is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 17:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant photographs and an awesome travelogue.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 00:25   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

What an way to start a Sunday!
Thanks a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Indeed, what a start for a Sunday morning!

Samba! The dreaded jam at Kaliachak is almost a thing of past now. The traffic is already plying through divided carriageway within the town area. The major work that is ongoing there right now are for two small bridges towards Farakka and the service road. By this Pujo, one can expect both Toll operation for Farakka - Raiganj section and 4-laned traffic through Kaliachak town to begin!

Cheers,
Thanks a lot.

Yes indeed but while going i had to face a bit of snarl at Kaliachowk due to a broken down truck but again that's an offbeat incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Wonderful travelogue there. Enjoyed it thoroughly. And special thanks for putting up the procedures at the end, it helps others a lot.

And a request, can you put up the route you have done in a map format. You have travelled in roads less frequented by others in this section, hence asking you.
Thanks a lot. I do not have a road map pointed for this, but let me put the route over here. To be very honest, i do not have much idea on how to do it.

Kolkata- Siliguri- Phuntsholing- Thimpu- Punakha- Thimpu- Haa Valley - Chelela Pass- Paro - Phuntsholing- Chalsa - Malda - Siliguri.

Hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Samba, what a travelogue! I was at Chalsa three weeks ago amidst heavy monsoon and enjoyed the trip thoroughly. Went to Phontshiling also. But I would not dare to drive on the hills during this time. Kudos!
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Brother! It's an excellent trip that you have described here.
Bhutan is definitely on my cards, let's see if we can get on a drive together, it's been a while after the Darjeeling trip! Loved your photos!
Thanks ton! But after the Darjeeling trip we did the Zuluk trip together too! Eagerly looking forward for our next drive together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoy50 View Post
Your log is so mature with required inputs, it would excite even the laggards to plan this drive. Wonderful pictures even in peak monsoon ! what breath taking beauties !.
Thanks ton. Actually monsoon added more colours to the photo's! Specially the green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed_Munazzir View Post
Oh my God ! Just Beautiful ! Amazing travelogue and eye soothing pictures.

This is the best part of travel.You come across many interesting people from around the world.A special mention to the guy cycling around Bhutan and those travelers from UK in their hired autos.
Thanks and agreed. Coincidentally on my Bhutan trip, the day i met the cyclist i was wearing my Ladakh trip T-Shirt written 'Ladakh road trip 2015' on the back. May be seeing that he mentioned about his cycling expedition to Ladakh too! It was really great meeting these people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Beautiful pics and travelogue Samba! I had been to Bhutan a long time back and have been planning to go once more for quite sometime now. Somehow or other it is not happening. Hopefully sometime this year and your travelogue will be immensely helpful. Sorry to have missed meeting you near Bagdogra this time.
Thanks a lot and i sincerely hope you will visit Bhutan soon. Its indeed a beautiful place & am sure you will love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Enjoyed the excellent travelogue thoroughly.

The hero of this trip for me is Dr.Sengupta. The way he was guiding and encouraging you at the tough spots was really nothing short of inspirational. I would love to have my dad riding shotgun on my road trips, the presence of that man increases my confidence manifolds, must be the same with you.
Thanks a lot and yes of-course if you have a motivating co-passenger in case of critical situation's, it do help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaj* View Post
Fantastic travelogue Deserves all the stars available! Thanks for detailing the trip bits on permits, rules and reviews on hotels. Am certain, this logue will be one of the reference point for future Bhutan visitors. Keep revving
Thanks a ton. It will be my pleasure to know if some one gets benefited reading my travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Brilliant photographs and an awesome travelogue.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Samba : 17th August 2016 at 00:40.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 01:02   #23
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue Samba. You have managed to keep it simple and also included minor details of how to get the permits, and ensured people feel comfortable when traveling next time, armed with all these information from your travelogue. The pics are really mesmerizing. Something that will draw more people to Bhutan. Beautiful place, captured beautifully. Keep it up.
sourav.info111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 09:13   #24
BHPian

I just completed my Bhutan Trip by going through your travelogue. Needless to say that the pictures are as fantastic as ever with some crisp write up which narrate the story decently well. Rated a Well Deserved 5*.

Something has been jinxed between me and Bhutan since a long time. A Planned trip during Last Year May 2015 got cancelled due to some unforeseen emergency in the family. Though I have been to some parts of Bhutan sometime back in 2002 with a Maruti 800 with unfortunately No Pictures to share with the Forum

The last few important bits that you have shared will come in handy for the people following the Forum and this travelogue if they are travelling to Bhutan for the 1st time. I would like to share some bits from my end which you have missed out in your travelogue and might come in handy for the community if they plan a travel to Bhutan :
  • The Royal Bhutanese Consulate is located on 1A, Ballygunge Circular Road, Tivoli Court, Beside HP Petrol Pump, Kolkata - 700019 now. Previously they were located at General Bhutan House - 6, Mall Road, Kolkata – 700080
  • It is always better to get the permits done from Kolkata in advance. One must visit at least 60 days in advance in order to seek the permits. However, they entertain people who come 30 days prior to the date of travel; but not always.
  • The Bhutan Entry Permit Application Form - Bhutan Entry Permit Application Form.pdf. Though I believe the format has now changed and Samba can share the updated one if it is handy with him.
  • October to December is the ideal time to visit Bhutan as the air is clear and fresh with sunny skies. January and February are colder, but from then until April the climate remains dry and pleasant and in late spring the famous rhododendrons bloom spectacularly, flooding the valleys with colour.

A few questions w.r.t.your trip :
  1. Why did you not plan up to undertake the Trek to The Tiger's Nest Monastery ? Though this is a very tough trek, there are other lighter treks as well in Bhutan which makes one explore Bhutan to the fullest
  2. The Etios is a fantastic runner. Did the bad roads give trouble with under belly hits ? I think I heard some noises in the videos. Hope everything is fine with the car though !
  3. What is the update with the road conditions in and around the Phobjikha Valley in Bhutan ? Any information on the same.
  4. What is the "Men At Work" scenario for the damaged roads in Bhutan ?

Keep travelling, keep inspiring and keep on the good work of writing such travelogues !! Kudos to you mate !!

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 17th August 2016 at 09:15. Reason: errors
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 10:04   #25
BHPian

Wonderful thread. I dont think I have to mention about your photographic skills again and again . Rated and thanked. This thread is going to help many like me in future. Thanks for sharing.
Uprasenjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 16:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Thanks a lot. I do not have a road map pointed for this, but let me put the route over here. To be very honest, i do not have much idea on how to do it.

Kolkata- Siliguri- Phuntsholing- Thimpu- Punakha- Thimpu- Haa Valley - Chelela Pass- Paro - Phuntsholing- Chalsa - Malda - Siliguri.

Hope it helps.
Thanks a lot. Over the extended weekend, sat through your travelogue and penned the route on a map.

I had hoped to run around that place this year, but fate seems otherwise. Hoping to go there next year for sure. Your travelogue will remain handy for me. Thanks once again.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 17:40   #27
BHPian

Thanks for a wonderful travelogue with amazing photographs. Your photography skill combined with a very good camera have captured the scenery in great detail. Does Bhutan have consulates or embassies in the Southern part of the country?
Hope to make the drive to Bhutan in a couple of years.
Saji
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 23:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

A very informative travelogue with excellent pictures, keep it up. The kind of all-round value you bring is second to none, especially for this geography.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 00:24   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav.info111 View Post
Wonderful travelogue Samba.
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
I just completed my Bhutan Trip by going through your travelogue. Needless to say that the pictures are as fantastic as ever with some crisp write up which narrate the story decently well. Rated a Well Deserved 5*.
Thanks a ton.

Quote:
[*]The Bhutan Entry Permit Application Form - Attachment 1542838. Though I believe the format has now changed and Samba can share the updated one if it is handy with him.
Yes the format is now changed. I first filled up this form and submitted but they gave me a fresh form and asked me to fill that and submit. Am sorry i do not have that format as i got a hard copy from them which i filled and submitted on spot.

Quote:
A few questions w.r.t.your trip :
  1. Why did you not plan up to undertake the Trek to The Tiger's Nest Monastery ? Though this is a very tough trek, there are other lighter treks as well in Bhutan which makes one explore Bhutan to the fullest
  2. The Etios is a fantastic runner. Did the bad roads give trouble with under belly hits ? I think I heard some noises in the videos. Hope everything is fine with the car though !
  3. What is the update with the road conditions in and around the Phobjikha Valley in Bhutan ? Any information on the same.
  4. What is the "Men At Work" scenario for the damaged roads in Bhutan ?
I was with my parents and trekking to Tigers nest with them would have been a tedious job.

Etios did a fantastic job. Yes there were few underbelly hits but car is absolutely fine. I got it checked after the trip by putting it up on a ramp when i got my car serviced.

In monsoon due to heavy slush even the Innova's are avoiding going to Phobjikja valley. Its a no for small cars in monsoon. Once its dry, any car can go, though the road surface will be a bit rough.

Road work is going on in full throttle on the bad roads! If you plan Phobjika valley around November you can do it. Things should improve by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
Wonderful thread. I dont think I have to mention about your photographic skills again and again . Rated and thanked. This thread is going to help many like me in future. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Thanks a lot. Over the extended weekend, sat through your travelogue and penned the route on a map.

I had hoped to run around that place this year, but fate seems otherwise. Hoping to go there next year for sure. Your travelogue will remain handy for me. Thanks once again.
You are most welcome. If you have any further queries please feel free to PM me or ask me here. Wish you all the best for your next years Bhutan trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
Thanks for a wonderful travelogue with amazing photographs. Your photography skill combined with a very good camera have captured the scenery in great detail. Does Bhutan have consulates or embassies in the Southern part of the country?
Hope to make the drive to Bhutan in a couple of years.
Saji
Thanks a ton. Am not very sure whether there is a Bhutan embassy in south or not. Let me provide you the phone number of Bhutan Embassy Delhi. ((+91) (11) 2688 9807 / 9) So you can just call them up and get updated. Hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
A very informative travelogue with excellent pictures, keep it up. The kind of all-round value you bring is second to none, especially for this geography.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Samba : 18th August 2016 at 00:33.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 22:19   #30
BHPian

Awesome TL, Samba. Your travels bring back nostalgic memories for me ...the last time I had gone to Bhutan was waaay back in time. From your lens, it seems they have managed to keep the pristine beauty of Bhutan intact so far.

Looks like it needs a visit real soon !!
TheStranger is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks