Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2017, 12:12   #46
BHPian

Re: Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar

Navtej !! Really a Nice Travelogue, you covered the trip in detail, and the pictures are great, they speak for themselves. Was just curious to know, how much did the entire trip cost??
wheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 11:57   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
Navtej !! Really a Nice Travelogue, you covered the trip in detail, and the pictures are great, they speak for themselves. Was just curious to know, how much did the entire trip cost??
Thank you wheelz. The total cost was around 80K. Advantage was that the vehicle was new and therefore vehicle preparation cost was almost nil.
Old 5th May 2017, 12:06   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navsjab View Post
Thank you wheelz. The total cost was around 80K. Advantage was that the vehicle was new and therefore vehicle preparation cost was almost nil.
Thank you Navtej, hows your Thar doing now?? In terms of ownership?? how the experience so far??
Old 27th June 2017, 15:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
Thank you Navtej, hows your Thar doing now?? In terms of ownership?? how the experience so far??
Quote:

Issues faced - Apart from the 4H and 4L indicators on the console that I spoke about initially and the stone chip hurting the widshield, I noticed that the transparent layer (gives the glaze basically) on the blacks (wheel arch and the front bumper side flanges) started to peal. This was probably due to the stone chips that were hitting against it at high speeds and then the pressure washing that penetrated through the initial damage. No other problems....
I missed your post wheelz. Our Thar completed a year few days back. It is doing great. No issues with ownership so far.

An update on the issues faced:
The wheel arch and front bumper flange issues mentioned by me earlier have also been looked after by Mahindra and have been replaced by them under warranty. The replacement parts do not have the final layer of gaze therefore I expect them to stay fine for longer.
navsjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 14:15   #50
BHPian

Nice travelogue Navtej. Seen this on the day one, but there was nothing to comment/ ask because of remarkable simplicity. Everything is self-explanatory.

Quote:
Our Thar completed a year few days back. It is doing great. No issues with ownership so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Yes, if the rear is adequately loaded the ride quality drastically improves.
Navtej, Blackperl (quoted you to convey message) and all Thar owners,

My query is a general for any trip (Mountain/Plains).

How to manage the goods/baggage in soft top jeep/gypsy?
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-1598102d1485167953tkolkataladakhourmahindrathar20160812_225916.jpg

Whenever you stay in Hotel/ Homestay, do you needed to carry all the stuff to room and in morning back to the jeep?

If you want to walk/ roam in any garden type place where vehicle is away from our sight, what about safety of luggage?
(Alok) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 14:26   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Nice travelogue Navtej. Seen this on the day one, but there was nothing to comment/ ask because of remarkable simplicity. Everything is self-explanatory.
Thank you Alok.

Quote:
Whenever you stay in Hotel/ Homestay, do you needed to carry all the stuff to room and in morning back to the jeep?

If you want to walk/ roam in any garden type place where vehicle is away from our sight, what about safety of luggage?
Ideally one would think of carrying everything to the room at night, then back to the vehicle in the morning. However, my take is that things that would not get a good price in a resale market or would not be of much value to the world can be left in the vehicle. I check with the hotel in advance for the safety of parking. Leave the rest to luck.
navsjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 13:45   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Introduction:

After a lot of discussion the trip was finally scheduled for the last two weeks of August. Having no other travellers joining us for the trip we were initially hesitant, but our determination did not allow us to delay our trip on this count. Detailed planning and preparation started after we returned from our honeymoon, a month before the start of the Ladakh Trip.

13th August - Kolkata - Allahabad
14th August - Allahabad - Karnal
15th August - Karnal - Mandi
16th August - Mandi - Jispa
17th August - Jispa - Leh
18th August - Leh - Lamayuru - Leh
19th August - Leh - Khardungla - Leh and Rest
20th August - Leh - Pangong
21st August - Pangong - Hanle
22nd August - Hanle - Tso Moriri
23rd August - Tso Moriri - Jispa
24th August - Jispa - Mandi
25th August - Mandi - Karnal
26th August - Karnal - Allahabad
27th August - Allahabad - Kolkata

The return leg was slightly altered to the following
23rd August - Tso Moriri - Keylong
24th August - Keylong - Kharar (near Chandigarh)
25th August - Kharar - Spent family time
26th August - Kharar - Allahabad
Excellent travelogue mate. Rated 5 stars. A quite comprehensive narrative complimented with great photographs. Today I got active on the forum after a long gap, hence missed a lot of action in the travelogues section. Nonetheless its never late to read the travel stories hosted by Team BHP. This trip of your's reminds me of our trip to Ladakh which we undertook in Maruti Dzire (Petrol) in September 2016. We went from Chandigarh to Leh via Manali. Visited Khardungla, Pangong Lake, Dras, Kargil and returned via Manali.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...uti-dzire.html

Wish you and your better half lots of adventure filled trips. Keep posting.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 16:18   #53
BHPian

Hey, great travel details. Read your posts (again) after a while. Really explains well how one must travel and the precautions to take -- and to let things come as the come. Which was apparent in your log. One thing I noticed, you had covered the THAR meter dashboards with a cellophane plastic.? Was that to keep the dust out..?
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:33   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Hey, great travel details. Read your posts (again) after a while. Really explains well how one must travel and the precautions to take -- and to let things come as the come. Which was apparent in your log. One thing I noticed, you had covered the THAR meter dashboards with a cellophane plastic.? Was that to keep the dust out..?
Thank you asingh1977. The cellophane plastic was on because the vehicle was only two months old during the trip and it was not removed then. The dust angle is a good one, since cleaning the place is not too easy and dust settles there pretty quickly. However, it is presently uncovered and cleaned when excessively dirty.
Old 10th May 2018, 22:04   #55
BHPian

Hey Navsjab.

It is an excellent write up and pleasure to read.

Your Thar looks hot in red. I am glad you visited my home state too and liked it. Also, a very well planned trip was made by you guys. Too much to learn from you and bhabi, brother.

My girlfriend is a huge fan of the team- you and your wife. Now we have couple goals like yours.

Following your treadmarks, we too will embark on a longish road trip once I finalise on my new ride. The only confusion is whether I should go for a brand new Thar or a used Fortuner like Ace's. I hope to figure it out soon.
sid_hilldriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 11:07   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_hilldriver View Post
Hey Navsjab.

It is an excellent write up and pleasure to read.

Your Thar looks hot in red. I am glad you visited my home state too and liked it. Also, a very well planned trip was made by you guys. Too much to learn from you and bhabi, brother.

My girlfriend is a huge fan of the team- you and your wife. Now we have couple goals like yours.

Following your treadmarks, we too will embark on a longish road trip once I finalise on my new ride. The only confusion is whether I should go for a brand new Thar or a used Fortuner like Ace's. I hope to figure it out soon.
Thanks a lot sid_hilldriver.

Good luck with the decision about your new ride. You will not go wrong with either. Best wishes for the road trip you guys are planning
Old 21st September 2018, 21:50   #57
BHPian

Hi Navntez, to begin with loved your big smile in all pics. Implies you thoroughly did enjoy the trip. I did Ladhak last year with my friend in a Punto. It was a hell of a trip and I still have jitters on my legs and back ;-)

I need some suggestions from you and from rest of the Bhpians. I am planning to buy a brand new Thar in Delhi, get it modified from Bimra and drive it Guwahati. Now following are my questions-
1) Will be viable to drive a brand new Thar for such a long distance?
2) Whats is the maximum speed I should do for the initial miles?
3) Is such a long drive comfortable in a Thar ?
4) How many days will I take from Delhi to Guwahati ? ( I know this is subjective, however if I have to keep the speed low as its a new engine, tentatively how much time will it take)

*** On another thought, should I consider transporting my vehicle by Train or Truck ?
mads2849 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 14:46   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mads2849 View Post
Hi Navntez, to begin with loved your big smile in all pics. Implies you thoroughly did enjoy the trip. I did Ladhak last year with my friend in a Punto. It was a hell of a trip and I still have jitters on my legs and back ;-)

I need some suggestions from you and from rest of the Bhpians. I am planning to buy a brand new Thar in Delhi, get it modified from Bimra and drive it Guwahati. Now following are my questions-
4) How many days will I take from Delhi to Guwahati ? ( I know this is subjective, however if I have to keep the speed low as its a new engine, tentatively how much time will it take)

*** On another thought, should I consider transporting my vehicle by Train or Truck ?
Thank you mads2849. Here is my take on the questions

I think point A and point B do not matter for completing the running in period of the vehicle. I know a couple of friends who bought a Thar and went on long distance road trips before the running in was complete. The only thing to keep in mind is to give the inputs in a smooth way instead of going harsh on the engine.

According to the manual the running in is for the first 1k kms. I do not remember if a top speed is stated but 80kmph should be the safe limit.

Considering that it will be your first long drive in the Thar, I would say no. It is not going to be as comfortable as the cars you have probably driven or ridden in before. It takes a while to get used to it.

Taking around 8-11 hours of driving a day to keep it soft on yourself as well as the Thar. It should be comfortable in 3 to 4 days.

I would not take chances with a new car. Especially after what happened to my Ikon from Kolkata to Bangalore. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...logistics.html (Poor transportation experience of my Ikon through Kuber Logistics) Though I have heard rail transport is safer, still, why.
Old 23rd September 2018, 23:58   #59
BHPian

All points noted ! Shocking to see your Ikon being damaged by the transporters. Now I am 90% sure that I will drive the new Thar from Delhi, however will dig into the Indian railways and see if its viable.

Thank you so very much Navtej for your super quick reply. Godspeed !
mads2849 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks