Team-BHP - Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/179494-kolkata-ladakh-our-mahindra-thar.html)

Introduction:

Back in May, 2016, I took the opportunity to drive up the hills, with my parents. That was when we first took our Ikon to Darjeeling. I had in mind that some personal experience with hill driving would help in the future when I take a more challenging terrain. Reference to the Darjeeling trip: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...h-machine.html

It was around the same time (May 2016) that my fiancée and I had planned to buy a Thar; "When to buy it", was still not decided. Our wedding was planned for 3rd July 2016. Thanks to BHPian Blackpearl we have a thread detailing the drive taken by BHPians from Kolkata to Bhopal to attend our wedding. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...s-wedding.html). My fiancée and I had a plan to drive to Ladakh in the future; Not as a honeymoon destination (less people think we had gone crazy ;)).

Gauging our seriousness and determination, my dad found it justified that we go ahead and book the Thar as early as possible. After the trip to Darjeeling, in the end of May we booked the Thar. My fiancée and I took delivery of the Thar on 10th June, 2016. Now we had a new vehicle and a destination, so a trip could be planned. Planning for the trip went on alongside the major marriage arrangements.

After a lot of discussion the trip was finally scheduled for the last two weeks of August. Having no other travellers joining us for the trip we were initially hesitant, but our determination did not allow us to delay our trip on this count. Detailed planning and preparation started after we returned from our honeymoon, a month before the start of the Ladakh Trip.

Arrangements and Planning:

Arrangements for the Thar:

Since the vehicle was new, there was not much to be done. After the initial running in (The first 1,000 miles. Start with gentle driving around town so everything, including brakes, can bed in. Avoid harsh acceleration and heavy braking if you can. For diesels, keep engine revs below 3,000 rpm, but make sure they regularly reach this limit.), I took the Thar to Mohan Motors to get the vehicle inspected, a week before the trip, and keep necessary supplies of essential fluids (coolant, engine oil, brake fluid), a spare air filter and few extra fuses.

The Thar Ready
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160808_142702.jpg

It was around June end when Debarshi (handle debarshim), working in the same organisation as me, noticed my Thar and we had a small chat. On hearing my plans for the Ladakh drive he was extremely helpful in providing a lot of information from his past trips to the place. He shared few maps, details on the route, places one can visit, etc. To top it all he offered me the jerry cans for the long stretch that we had to cover without any fuel stations (Leh-Pangong-Hanle-Tso Moriri-Tandi).

My wife (Bhavneet) and I went to their place and picked up the jerry cans and other items which they had ready from their numerous trips (tow rope, fire extinguisher, oxygen can).

I also picked up Sumitro's (aka BlackPearl) jerry can which was the third. Now I had 60L, Thar's tank capacity and 20*3=60L jerry can capacity.

We picked food items from Metro Cash & Carry a week before the trip.

Thanks to HVK for his assistance and support throughout the trip. Being just both of us travelling, we were happy to take his services. The knowledge that HVK was monitoring and overseeing our trip made us feel we were being accompanied by a guardian.

Thanks to the ROAD group as well for alerting us of any possible problems coming up en-route and keeping an eye on us.

The major goods were loaded the night before we were to move and the final packing was done early in the morning (still night for usual people)

Medicines
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160807_140523.jpg

The packed rear of the Thar
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160812_225916.jpg

Arrangements for self:

We made a short visit to Decathlon along with BHPians Sayantan and Pawan. We were suggested some items to be carried and landed up picking the following:Route planning:
Since the curfews and unrest were still prevailing at Jammu, we did not think much and decided on the Manali route.

Final Itinerary:
13th August - Kolkata - Allahabad
14th August - Allahabad - Karnal
15th August - Karnal - Mandi
16th August - Mandi - Jispa
17th August - Jispa - Leh
18th August - Leh - Lamayuru - Leh
19th August - Leh - Khardungla - Leh and Rest
20th August - Leh - Pangong
21st August - Pangong - Hanle
22nd August - Hanle - Tso Moriri
23rd August - Tso Moriri - Jispa
24th August - Jispa - Mandi
25th August - Mandi - Karnal
26th August - Karnal - Allahabad
27th August - Allahabad - Kolkata

The return leg was slightly altered to the following
23rd August - Tso Moriri - Keylong
24th August - Keylong - Kharar (near Chandigarh)
25th August - Kharar - Spent family time
26th August - Kharar - Allahabad

Day 1 - 13th August - Kolkata - Allahabad

We left home at around 3 AM, my parents, uncle and aunt decided to see us off till Azad Hind Dhaba (AHD) on NH2 which is around 70 kms from our home.

Here begins the trip
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160813_032528.jpg

During our drive till AHD the 4H indication light started flickering on the console. I thought that engaging and disengaging 4H would help, the result was that the indication light remained on instead of flickering now. Engaging 4L and disengaging it did not help either. With none of them engaged, the lights for both 4L and 4H were still on, in the console.

We reached AHD finally and started googling possible causes for this flaw. Thanks to my uncle, we both got under the Thar and looked for any hints to correct it. We found the cables that went to read the engagement sensor, cleaned the same and gave a few punches so that a stuck mechanical sensor would release in that case. This did not help instantaneously, the light would not turn off. However, when we were done with breakfast and were about to start from AHD, the lights did not display again, god knows what helped exactly!

BHPian, Arunashish and his wife were going to Gaya from their home in Asansol the same morning. We planned and met them at Topchachi where we had tea and then tailed them till the Gaya exit point. It was a short but nice meet. They had done Ladakh recently and shared some notes and advice. Around 10 minutes before meeting Arunashish, a speeding Ecosport set off a stone chip at the Thar's windscreen that resulted in the below crack. And this was just the fourth hour of Day1 [:(].

The crack from the stone chip
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160813_120832.jpg

Arunashish's Figo and our Thar
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160813_121102.jpg

Because we stopped
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160813_121031.jpg

We had lunch near Aurangabad which was a long one hour break, at Hotel Vaishnavi Heights.

Lunch stop
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0015.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0006.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160813_141649.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160813_143214.jpg

The stretch from Aurangabad to Varanasi was not great, it had diversions and bad roads.

Since it was Sawan ka Mahina, Varanasi to Allahabad had a single lane functioning with the other lanes (lane from Allahabad to Varanasi) blocked for the Kanwar Yatra. [Details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanwar_Yatra]

Since it was late evening, around 7 - 8 PM and the Kanwar Yatra people were less in number, many of us tried the wrong side of the divider, as the entire stretch from Varanasi to Allahabad was blocked with say, only 30% of the 120 kms stretch having good movement.

We were at our hotel (Hotel Saket) in Allahabad at 10:30 PM, had dinner and went off to sleep.

The place was not great, for instance:
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160813_233132.jpg

Hotel Saket - Overall Rating: 2.5/5
Total kms driven: 846
Total expense on toll: Rs. 790/-

Day 2 - 14th August - Allahabad - Karnal

We planned to leave early that day since we had to cover a long stretch to go. However, due to the long and difficult run we had the day before, we did not wake up that early. We started our journey at around 7-730.

Life on a long trip becomes a bit boring if not for some events to make the trip interesting. The odd cop can enter the scene to add some relief. This one took one look at us in our Thar and decided we looked like a good catch. With the authority at his command he asked us to park. Though Bhavneet was on the driver's seat he thought it better to go around and talk to me. "Car Papers." , he commanded. I handed him the neatly compiled set. He was a bit disappointed but did not give up. "The driver's licence." He was provided this too. "The car does not belong to her. Does she have an authorisation?" We had travelled with good guidance and were equipped with a notarised authority from my mother in who's name the Thar was registered. His ego had been inflicted with injury. He got ready for the next round. "More than two bags.", he said, "You can be booked for commercial carriage." This is when I took out my telephone and made a random call. I was advised to pay Rs 200 and get it over with. The cops senior who was watching the entire episode from afar and getting regular updates must have smelt a rat. He called our friendly cop back and asked us to proceed. In parting I gave him a friendly piece of advice asking him to better at spotting miscreants. He did not earn the tip he may be looking for and backed off telling us that he was only doing his duty. He was supposed to do a thorough check of randomly selected cars as the Independence day was around the corner and they were trying to anticipate and spot terror.

It pays to have your papers in order when away from home.

The roads from Allahabad to Karnal were super smooth, including a 165 kms Yamuna Expressway. We stopped for tea at a dhaba between Allahabad and Kanpur. Our Breakfast halt was just after crossing the Kanpur Bypass. Lovely Parathas for a hungry stomach. :) Our lunch halt was just before we got on to the Yamuna Expressway. Our next halt was near Murthal, at Neelkanth dhaba for tea. We finally reached Karnal at around 8 PM and checked in at Jewels Hotel. A lovely place. Had a decent dinner, Thai green curry - not recommended, and went to slept for the night.

Morning tea
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160814_073754.jpg

The roads
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160814_084255.jpg

Breakfast stop
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160814_101328.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160814_102347.jpg

Lunch stop
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160814_145310.jpg

Diversion to Yamuna Expressway
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160814_1549240.jpg

YEW
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160814_155139.jpg

Directions for Buddh International Circuit
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160814_172911.jpg

Tea halt
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160814_192114.jpg

And finally dinner at Jewel's
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160814_223718.jpg

Jewels Hotel - Overall Rating: 4/5
Total kms driven: 823
Total expense on toll: Rs. 767/-

Day 3 - 15th August - Karnal - Mandi

Once you are in Punjab
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160815_095106.jpg

We relaxed and woke up pretty late on this day considering that a short distance was to be covered. However, we wanted to make a halt at by jijaji's place at Kharar (near Chandigarh). Since Raksha Bandhan(18th Aug) was around the corner, it was an ideal halt as we could meet by sister there. We reached at around 10 AM after a two hour drive from the hotel. We had a lovely breakfast prepared by my sister and completed the Raksha Bandhan rituals, took some rest and continued to Mandi.

Jijaji's place, their Verna parked ahead of our Thar
That is Didi, her father-in-law and Bhavneet, left to right
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160815_103457.jpg

We had a stop for tea once we touched the hills. Later we halted at Green hills food point for lunch. It was a decent dhaba which was struggling with service as it was Independence day and most of the cooks/waiters were on leave. Lunch took us some time after which we got back to the drive.

The hills start with lots of diversions enroute
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160815_132554.jpg

Tea Stop
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160815_133806.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160815_152815.jpg

Lunch stop
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160815_152922.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160815_153207.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160815_154139.jpg

The Scenic views
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160815_165201.jpg

One of many Bulleters'
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0016.jpg

A board showing kms to destination
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160815_172257.jpg

It was a five hour journey from their place (jijaji's) to our destination for the day (Hotel Shingar). The hotel is along the highway on the left. There is no enclosed parking for vehicles at the hotel but ample security cameras to ensure safety of the vehicle. The route to Mandi showed us teasers of what was there to come. The hill drive had been beautiful with river Beas by our side for most of the drive.

The Thar parked at the Hotel, clicked from the second floor balcony infront of our room
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160815_184612.jpg

Hotel Shingar - Overall Rating: 3/5
Total kms driven: 340
Total expense on toll: Rs. 110/-

Day 4 - 16th August - Mandi - Jispa

As suggested by HvK Sir, we had finalised our plan to get the first service of our Thar done at Mandi. I spoke to the service manager the previous night and he asked us to be there before 9:30 AM so that they could attend to us at the earliest. We got ready, had quick breakfast at our hotel and moved to the service station at Ner Chowk. Since we were a little too early we decided to get the vehicle washed outside to save some time. We got it washed at a local washing station and were back at the service center by 9:25 AM. They started working on the Thar while we were waiting at the waiting area enjoying coffee and a game of carrom. We were done by 11 AM since we did not opt for the car wash and we set off towards Manali.

Thar wash
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160816_085818.jpg

Thar service
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160816_095232.jpg

The permits were being taken care of by an agent (Mr. Sherab) who HvK Sir referred us to. We had our lunch at The Royal Grand. Clicked some pictures of the lovely views we got there. We co-ordinated with Sherab and got the permits delivered at a place, just before the entry to Manali. We were there by 3 PM and were advised to move slowly towards the Check Post at Gulaba as it would open only after 4 PM. We stopped and rearranged the luggage, stretched ourselves and headed to Gulaba. The permits were checked at 4:10 PM and we moved onward to Jispa.

Lunch halt
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160816_134444.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160816_134542.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160816_134623.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160816_143017.jpg

Bhavneet was enthralled with the scenic beauty on the ascend to Rohtang La and she went on clicking pictures.

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160816_153832.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0039.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0053.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0061.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0064.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0072.jpg

Coming at the river bed
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0077.jpg

Driving through the clouds
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0080.jpg

We stopped for a bit at RohtangLa for some quick shots. This was the first time we used warm clothes. I casually got off the car at Rohtang and got back in immediately as the cool wind hit me. We wore our jackets and then went to stand by the road sign announcing Rohtang, to get photographed.

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0101.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0099.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0104.jpg

Views
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0114.jpg

To be continued.....

Roads after Rohtang
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160816_170819.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160816_180527.jpg

We made a stop to have maggi somewhere on the way and then stopped at Tandi for fueling up. We reached Jispa Journeys Camp late in the evening, around 8:30 PM. This camp was owned by Sherab. He explained the entry to the camp while handing over the permits. The entry to the camp was a little difficult to spot at night and we benefited from the explanation. We parked the vehicle near the tent that was allotted to us and went to have dinner at their dinner tent. The meal was lovely and wholesome. We came back to our tent and slept after a while. The night at the camp was something that we wanted to experience and therefore opted for. It was cold in spite of the number of blankets provided.

Maggi stop
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160816_184810.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160816_184821.jpg

At Jispa Journey's
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160816_222038.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160816_222108.jpg

The dinner
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0128.jpg

Jispa Journeys Camp - Overall Rating: 4/5
Total kms driven: 281
Total expense on toll: Rs. 400/-

Day 5 - 17th August - Jispa - Leh

Leaving Jispajourneys
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0135.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0138.jpg

Journey for the day begins
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0151.jpg

The next stretch was going to be a long drive hence we decided to leave as early as we could. It was too early for the camp staff to prepare breakfast so they offered us bananas and a loaf of bread. We started at 6-6:15 AM and had breakfast (received from the camp staff) on the go. The roads were neither too good nor too bad. We stopped near Sarchu for some tea/snacks. My head was aching and thus needed this break (probably the AMS effecting me). We had tea, maggi, took some photos and moved towards Pang. On our way we came across Whiskey Bridge which had around 10 vehicles lined up on our side. We stopped and tried to have a look at the cause for the still traffic. A truck, crossing the bridge had shifted one of the iron sheets and had slipped in. After clicking some pictures I went to see how the local guys undo the chaos. Other truck drivers had come to the spot with hydraulic jacks and had lifted this truck, got the iron sheets placed properly and then released the jack to get the truck back on its path.

We took the right
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0152.jpg

A motorcycle with a stuck up rear wheel; Stopped to check and help
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0156.jpg

The scenes
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0159.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0165.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0171.jpg

Love these Army trucks
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0175.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0181.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0191.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0201.jpg

Passing a Pass
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0206.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0209.jpg

The heavy head effect
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0212.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0215.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0220.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0224.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0228.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0237.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0238.jpg

The stand still traffic before a bridge
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0246.jpg

Waiting for the line to clear
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0247.jpg

The line of vehicles on either side
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0248.jpg

THE NAME OF THE BRIDGE
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0250.jpg

The truck
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0251.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0253.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0255.jpg

Views
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0259.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0261.jpg

Another pass passing by
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0265.jpg

How trucks cross each other
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0268.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0269.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0272.jpg

The roads from Sarchu to Pang were pretty bad, with two high passes on the way. The head ache and drowsiness were becoming intolerable during the drive. To make the drive interesting I wanted to try the short cuts on Gata Loops but was not authorized by Bhavneet. On one of the short cuts I got the green signal and we went OFF THE ROAD. This was not too steep but steep enough to engage Four Wheel Drive. On completing this short cut, the track for the next short cut was very welcoming and thus we took that too. At the end of the track, there were jawans standing with their truck parked on the path, probably taking a break en-route. They hooted and cheered as they saw our Thar climbing up this not-so-often taken route. The excitement of this recognition diverted my attention from the head ache for a while. We reached Pang and stopped there for some more tea and Thukpa. We asked people about the road condition going forward and were happy to know that we would reach the More Plains after 5 kms.

Driving through More Plains was an amazing experience. Having such lovely roads at such high altitudes is mind blowing. There were a number of motorcycles (mainly Enfields) that were racing along the course. The drive thereafter was pretty smooth. We had our reservations at Hotel Jorchung. Due to constructions going on one of the roads we had to take diversions and reached Jorchung around 7:30 PM. we took some rest after freshening up and ordered food. We did not eat much and slept early that night.

More plains
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0273.jpg
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0277.jpg
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0279.jpg
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0284.jpg
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0287.jpg

The color of the mountain
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0298.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0308.jpg

Smartie
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0312.jpg

Crossing Indus at Upshi
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0314.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0318.jpg

Jorchung Hotel - Overall Rating: 3/5
Total kms driven: 360
Total expense on toll: Rs. 130/-

Day 6 - 18th August - Leh - Lamayuru - Leh

The plan for the day was to visit Pathar Sahib Gurudwara, Magnetic Hill, Indus-Zanskar Confluence and Lamayuru Gompa. We were ready to leave by around 8:15 AM after breakfast from the hotel. We confirmed the road conditions to Lamayuru from the hotel staff and were happy to know that the roads were good.

Plan for the day - LAMAYURU
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0323.jpg

On the go
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0335.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0336.jpg

Love them
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0340.jpg

Continued....

We were at Pathar Sahib Gurudwara by around 9. I drove pass the Gurudwara because of the good road quality and consequent joy of driving. We took a U-turn to park by the Gurudwara. This was one of the loveliest Gurudwaras I had seen. Let the pictures speak about it. We had the Bundi and Chai langar there and moved on.

Pathar Sahib Gurudwara
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0343.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0351.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0354.jpg

The History
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0355.jpg

The Pathar
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0357.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0365.jpg

From the inside of the Gurudwara
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0373.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0374.jpg

Langar with the Jawans
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0380.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0382.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0384.jpg

We visited magnetic hill. It took sometime to figure out the illusion. This hardly took time and our next stop was by the confluence. We made a long break, taking the Thar to the riverbed and clicking some pictures.

Magnetic hill
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0386.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0390.jpg

The Confluence of Indus and Zanskar
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0397.jpg

Photography session
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0402.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0405.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0416.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0399.jpg

While going towards Lamayuru there were many places with river rafting banners. Since Bhavneet had never tried rafting, we set to raft. We rafted in the Zanskar river for 14 kms. The beauty of the surrounding while we were on the raft was just out of the world, like one would see in movies. We missed having an action camera. No pictures from the rafting experience. We even took a plunge in the Zanskar to feel the cold water. We had lunch at the rafting club and left for Lamayuru at about 3 PM.

The only pictures of the river rafting
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0426.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160818_144753.jpg

On our way to Lamayuru we met Bhpian Seshadri, whom I had first exchanged notes with over the "Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide - Team-BHP" Thread. Since he was coming from the Srinagar side during the curfew time he narrated the incidents that were going on there. We met his wife and parents as well and chatted for atleast 20 minutes before we realized that we were both late according to plan.

TBHPian meet
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0427.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0428.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0433.jpg

We visited the Lamayuru Gompa, took some pictures, tried understanding the Moonland funda, saw the mountain with the board explaining the moonlight experience (refer pictures). On our return we bought the Buddhist flags.

From the Gompa
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0437.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0441.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0442.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0450.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0456.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0457.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0470.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0477.jpg

The Moonland thing
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0484.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0485.jpg

The drive back was a nice experience with the sun setting and the scene changing. We went straight to Tibetan Kitchen as we came to Leh. We got to place an order after a waiting period of 15 mins. To my surprise Non-Veg was not available since it was purnima ki raat. We had Soup and a sabagleb which were good to taste. We went back to the Hotel and relaxed, plan for the next day, our trip to Khardung La.

Our drive back
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0493.jpg

Comparing the view

Morning
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160818_1533000.jpg

Evening
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0498.jpg

Full moon night
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0501.jpg

Dinner at Tibetan Kitchen
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0517.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0507.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0512.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0513.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0516.jpg

Same hotel
Total kms driven: 252
Total expense on toll: None for the day

Day 7 - 19th August - Leh - Khardungla - Leh and Rest

As suggested by PapaBravo and Hvk, we took the pain to get up early, so that we could visit Khardung La top before the tourist rush began. We set off 7:25 am and were at the top by 8:30 am. We did not wait for more that 15 minutes and started the descend after clicking the customary Khardung La snaps. The road for the last 10 kms to the top were horrible; Apart from that, good roads.

On the way up

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0519.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0522.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0524.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0527.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0537.jpg

The bad roads
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0542.jpg

The Top
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0543.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0544.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0546.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0550.jpg

Our plan after returning to Leh was to get the car serviced. We went to the Mahindra showroom there but were not very satisfied with their workmanship. The tasks to be done were
On our way back
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0582.jpg

A quick landslide restoration
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0584.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0585.jpg

A long line of Enfields going to KLa
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0593.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0598.jpg

They were not able to wash the vehicle due to the so called rush they had, they cleaned the air filter by rubbing it against a mossy wall. The nuts and bolts were tightened well though. We got the Thar washed at a local service center and were off to Tibeten Kitchen for lunch.

Had soup and biryani and were too full to move anymore. Went to some of the shops at the market with a plan to visit again and buy something in the evening. Our plans for the day (visiting Hemis or Thiksey Gompa) were soon washed away as we went back to the Hotel, washed some clothes and rested.

Tibetan Kitchen
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0599.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0603.jpg

The clean Thar
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0605.jpg

Same hotel
Total kms driven: 107

Day 8 - 20th August - Leh - Pangong

Our trip started from the Hotel at 9:20 am and our first stop was at a petrol pump at Leh. We filled the tank, got the 3 x 20L jerry cans filled and were set to move. We stopped at the Thiksey Monastery, had tea at the restaurant there and moved. The roads throughout were pretty good.

View from the hotel room at Leh
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0612.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0613.jpg

Tea break here
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0619.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0620.jpg

View
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0626.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0632.jpg

Destination Pangong Lake
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0628.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0629.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0632.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1600786

Army trucks incoming
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0635.jpg

And the crossing
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0636.jpg

ChangLa
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0643.jpg

Tea break at an army check post after the pass
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0650.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0654.jpg

Tourists
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0656.jpg

Scenaries
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0661.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0667.jpg

Helped this guy with a stuck motorcycle, had to tow him out
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0673.jpg

Almost there
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0679.jpg

First view
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0682.jpg

Map
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0692.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0693.jpg

We reached Lukung at around 6:30 pm and stopped by the Lake to click some pictures. We were told that stopping by the lake was not allowed and went to a Dhaba by the Lake. Had some maggi and pakodas and then went by the lake. Clicked some more pictures. There was a replica of the scooter used for the 3 idiots movie there with a banner depicting the shooting point for the movie. That was the place we had network on our BSNL postpaid. Made calls to near and dear ones and informed them about chances of no network till we reached Jispa.

The lake
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0698.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0699.jpg

The Thar parked by the lake
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0701.jpg

3 Idiots shooting point
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0703.jpg

Photo shoot
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0712.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0719.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0724.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0738.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0741.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0768.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0769.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0778.jpg

Views
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0747.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0753.jpg

We drove to our hotel at Spangmik. There were both camps and rooms. We chose the rooms by default after our experience at Jispa. The hotel was nice and warm. The rooms were pretty cozy. We were told about the timings for light and were prepared to charge our phones and bluetooth speakers accordingly.

At around 7:00 pm we went out for a walk to avail the satellite phone to make a call to our parents. It was a short walk, the calls costed Rs. 5/min. We were back by dinner time- 8:00 pm.

The satellite phone room
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160820_191557.jpg

Selfie with the lake in the background while we wait for our turn
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160820_191630.jpg

Dinner
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160820_202435.jpg

Pangong Resort - Overall Rating : 4/5
Total kms driven: 186
Total expense on toll: None

Permits from Leh (Hanle)

Day 9 - 21th August - Pangong - Hanle

Our drive started at 9:00 am, after breakfast from the hotel. We also emptied the first fuel jerry can into the Thar while preparing the vehicle for the day’s drive. Since there was an incident that occurred in our hotel (a guest's purse was stolen, later realised misplaced) the officer manning the Mann check post was at our hotel. On speaking to him and the hotel owner he advised us to hand over the permit copy along with vehicle details and so we did. The permits were organised by the Hotel manager back in Leh.

We were told that the road condition was not going to be good upto Chushul but would not be too bad either. We did not like the road condition but the scenery we got to see were beautiful. At some points during the drive we hand a eerie feeling of being disconnected from civilization. We could see cloud covered skies at a distance and snowfall occurring on a mountain top, lots of wind blowing and it was just the Thar and us around. We reached the first check-post (before Loma) manned by Army officers. The officer saw the papers and realised that we were from Bengal, he was very happy to know that and then looked at the number plate, which made him happier as he was from Bengal as well. He offered us lunch at their mess but we thanked him and proceeded since we thought we would get late. After crossing this check post, we came to a point where we were 8.7 kms from the China border. We soon reached Loma. At this check post there were two riders who stopped just after us and came to present their permits. We exchanged names and wished each other a good drive/ride and assumed that we would meet at Hanle too. They were from Punjab and therefore we connected easily. The roads from Loma to Hanle were much better and was a soothing drive all along. We reached Hanle at 3 PM.

Along Pangong
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0789.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0796.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0798.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0815.jpg

The road - horrible
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0803.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0820.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0823.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0827.jpg

Better roads at a short stretch
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0889.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0857.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0866.jpg

Complete isolation
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0868.jpg

Clicks on the way
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0896.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0899.jpg

The track
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0902.jpg

Some water crossing, and people after good number of kms
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0905.jpg

Good roads start
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0932.jpg

Check post
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0935.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0937.jpg

Happy with the road quality now
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0939.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0943.jpg

On reaching Hanle it took some time for us to figure out the direction for our Hotel, a Local driving there in his EcoSport helped us with the same. We reached the hotel and alongside came the two riders. We were given our rooms while the riders negotiated their accommodation as well. We started chatting with the riders (Jasdeep and Nitin) and decided that we would go to the Hanle Observatory together after some maggi and tea. We also emptied the second jerry can of fuel before going to the observatory. We left for the observatory at about 4:30 PM as it closes at 6.

The Telescope operation is closed for maintenance for one month each year, during the monsoon. It is usually the month of August every year. We were explained the functioning of the Telescope and were also lucky to get the maintenance Engineer’s presentation from his laptop to view. The pictures and details in the presentation were very informative. During operation as well, one is not able to see any images from the Telescope as it is operated by research engineers from a remote location (Bangalore). We spoke to the staff and got to know that we could see both Mars and Venus in the night sky, which is visible from most parts of Ladakh. We noted the positions and were prepared to stare at the sky once the sun goes down.

Parked at the Observatory parking area
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0946.jpg

Hanle from the top
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0947.jpg

Jasdeep and Nitin walking up to the observatory
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0950.jpg

Some information
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0957.jpg

The observatory
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0958.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0961.jpg

From the top
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0963.jpg

Photo session
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0967.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0970.jpg

Nitin, Jasdeep and me
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0978.jpg

Dinner was laid by 8 and the sky was turning darker. We had the food and went on the terrace with the camera and tripod to gather few snaps. The night sky was lovely, beyond words, full of stars. I saw a couple of shooting stars as well while staring at the sky. The cold wind was making it difficult to stay there for long. We were off to bed soon after some chit chatting.

Night sky
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0017.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0029.jpg

Padma Homestay - Overall Rating : 4/5
Total kms driven: 182

Day 10 - 22th August - Hanle - Tso Moriri

The road till Loma was known to us, the same stretch back again. We started at around 9:30 AM. The roads fine till Karzok. One we entered the village the roads were bad, untill we reached the lake (Tso Moriri).

The Indian Wild Ass
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0042.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0047.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0048.jpg

The patch of good road till Loma
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0044.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0060.jpg

View of Tso Kyagar en-route
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0073.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0061.jpg

Almost at our destination for the day
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0081.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0082.jpg

The first views of the Lake
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0094.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0097.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0105.jpg

Check post
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0109.jpg

We were not pre-booked at Karzok, we stopped at the market area to look for options. We drove back from the market area and noticed a nice gate for a vehicle to enter, we took it in and found out about the place. It was the Nomadic Life Camp. I liked it since it had a parking facility. The other places, especially the camps near the lake required you to park in the open. After checking in and freshened up, we decided to go to the market area to eat something. We went there, ordered soup and maggi and heard the Royal exhaust note of Enfields. Jasdeep and Nitin had arrived there. They stopped for a while and then went to check on the camps near the lake. After eating we went down to the view point and clicked some pictures.

Some explanation regarding the view point: The so called view point, which is at the same level of the lake is usually closed. We assumed that it was closed and began to return to inquire about it. A local driver was taking few tourists for a view of the lake and asked us to follow him. He took us up to a small hill, through an off road track and we were then overlooking the lake.

The view point I was talking about
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0113.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0123.jpg

The view from the top of the hill
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0132.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0137.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0146.jpg

The view point from the top
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0150.jpg

The hill from the view point, see the cars going up on the right
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0160.jpg

We were returning and saw the duo (Nitin and Jasdeep) going towards the view point. We joined them and walked by the lake. We took a number of pictures there and then made our return to the Camp. As usual we found out about the timing for power, so that we could charge the necessary equipment. We were also told of the dinner timing. We stared at the lake until it was dinner time. We had dinner strolled for a while and then prepared to sleep for the next day which was going to be a long and tiring one.

Walking along the lake
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0166.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0152.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0169.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0184.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0187.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0195.jpg

I love them both
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0203.jpg

Bhavneet, Me, Jasdeep and Nitin
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0207.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0219.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0232.jpg

Nomadic Life Camp - Overall Rating : 3.5/5
Total kms driven: 170

Day 11 - 23th August - TsoMoriri - Keylong

This day marked the beginning of our return journey. Being a long journey, estimated 13 hours, we decided to leave as early as possible. We had a quick breakfast and set off at 7:45 AM. The road was not great for most of the part after Loma. The better patch started from when we were able to see Tso Kar. Tso Kar had a different look altogether, a lot of white sand close to the lake gave a illusion of snowfall. The road connected to the Leh Manali highway at More Plains. We cruised along the plains and soon came to the bad roads at Pang. A short stop, where Jasdeep and Nitin joined us as well. Since they were on two wheels covering a huge distance on that day, they did not stop for long and pushed off while we had some maggi. As soon as we were going to leave, a Duster parked next to our Thar and out came Seshadri and family. We chatted for quite sometime and started our journey after an hour’s break. Thanks to chit chat :)

Fueling up before we start for the day
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160823_072649.jpg

Snow covering the mountain tops as we drive by
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0238.jpg

Caught up with Jasdeep and Nitin as they ride towards Keylong
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0245.jpg

Bad roads on the way
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0246.jpg

Tso Kar
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0250.jpg

Better roads as we reach Tso Kar
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0251.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0259.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0261.jpg

Reached Leh-Manali highway
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0263.jpg

More plains again
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0264.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0272.jpg

Got two rainbows as we drove from Pang to Sarchu
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160823_173505.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0283.jpg

While driving from Pang, we came across a motorcycle that had lost control and fell while he took a Gata Loop shortcut. We offered help and got the Thunderbird back on road along with other group members. We checked the condition of the guy. Everything seemed in control and we began again. The passes en-route were no problem for us this time as we were well acclimatised.

We wanted to push to Keylong as we were reluctant to stay at the camp in Jispa once again. We reached Keylong market area, where Jasdeep and Nitin reached almost at the same time. We got our booking details from Hvk and recommended the same place to them. We unloaded our luggage at Hotel Valley View, had some snacks (early dinner actually) and came down to check Thar's health while Jasdeep and Nitin were checking their Enfields. They discovered a puncture in Nitin’s rear tyre and were off to the puncture repair shop with the help of the hotel owner. We checked the vehicle tyre pressure and filled the last 20L of fuel from the jerry can.

We had a peaceful sleep that night and had planned to go all the way to Kharar the next day, where my sister lives, instead of stopping at Mandi.

Caught up again after our break at Pang
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0294.jpg

Saw this fleet of cyclists as we were nearing Jispa
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0301.jpg

Hotel Valley View - Overall Rating : 3.5/5
Total kms driven: 341

Day 12 - 24th August - Keylong to Kharar

Nothing special to note about this day's drive. The only detour we took was for lunch. Picked up Domino's Pizza from Kullu town.

We finally reached home late at night and didi had prepared the best dinner for us. After the type of food we were having for the last few days, barring the pizza that afternoon, the dinner was just brilliant.

View from Valley View Hotel
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0307.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-dsc_0310.jpg

Stand still traffic on the way back as we got heavy rainfall
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160824_170729.jpg

Finally at sister's place
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160824_213511.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160824_214603.jpg

Sister's Place
Total kms driven: 433

Day 13 - 25th August - At Kharar

This was our date to relax and enjoy with family. We got up at around 9 and had bed tea. Washed the Thar at home itself, placed everything more neatly and made some space in the rear so that my sister (Amrita) and my nephew could sit there for our evening drive to Chandigarh.

We were invited for lunch at my eldest sister's in-law's house who live very close by, in Kharar. Chatted for quite sometime and had a superb meal :)

We returned to Amrita di's place and then decided to go for a sector 17 tour, since there was a load shedding. We had plans to meet my uncle and family on the same day as they drove down from Ludhiana. After our sector 17 drive we met them at Sukhna lake. Lots of chit chatting and then headed to North Country mall. We had dinner there and returned home to sleep peacefully and get ready for the two long days to come.

At Sukhna Lake, Chandigarh
Bhavneet, Sister (amrita), Brother (Iktej), Myself, Nephew (Abhiroop)

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160825_201359.jpg

My Chachaji and Chachiji
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160825_201435.jpg

At the parking lot, saying good bye
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160825_221935.jpg

Sister's Place
Total kms driven: 48

Day 14 - 26th August - Kharar - Allahabad

After a very sound sleep, we go ready for the highway and started at around 7:10 AM. The stretch on this day was so different from what we had seen from the past few days. No major surprises. As I had done the Kharar-Delhi route quite a number of times thanks to Zoomcar, it was an known drive. By-passed Delhi as directed by HVK and hit the YEW to reach the outskirts of Agra. There was a truck broken down on the highway that was causing a traffic pile up. We were lucky enough to anticipate it on time and got to know of a light diversion that helped us get out of the mess.

Leaving Punjab
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160826_072833.jpg

We drove along Firozabad, Etawah, Kanpur and reached Allahabad at around 9:30 PM. Since Saket had not met up to our expectation when we stayed there while going, we asked HVK(High Vay King) and CHD(Central Help Desk of HVK) to book another place. We were booked at UR Hotel. That was a better place. We had dinner and called it a day.

UR Hotel - Overall Rating : 3.5/5
Total kms driven: 968

Day 15 - 26th August - Allahabad - Kolkata

Our plan on this day was to leave a little early. If we moved by 7:00 AM we could take a look at the famous Triveni Sangam. Bhavneet was very eager to see the renowned confluence of the Ganga, Yamuna and the once Saraswati river.

To our misfortune and our love for sleep, we headed out of the hotel only at 9:30 AM. We still went as planned, to go to the Confluence point. Since this was our last stretch we had nothing to worry about since after however long the day would be, we would be at HOME by the end of it. After having a look at the Hanuman Mandir from a distance, we got back to the road and started our journey for Home.

Triveni Sangam
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160827_091351.jpg

The journey back was quite a breeze till Varanasi, since this time we had no road blocks/diversions due to the Kanwar Yatra.

While we were on our way to Ladakh, about 15 days back, we found the stretch from Aurangabad to Varanasi pretty bad. We were not looking forward to travelling that patch once more. After a very grilling journey at Ladak we did not even notice that the quality of roads from Varanasi to Aurangabad had anything to complain about. The principal of relativity had been tested once more. We reached Aurangabad after what we rated as a comfortable stretch.

Lunch Halt
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160827_155238.jpg

Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160827_155833.jpg

A friend of mine, had his birthday the next day, and as we were getting late, we thought we could make it to his place by 12 AM. We started looking our for places after Burdawan for a cake shop. It was getting late and shop were closing then, we could not spot a cake shop on the highway and did not want to detour into thee city, less we waste time. We stopped at Saktigarh and picked up a big pack of Langchas for him. lol:

We made it to his place on time, wished him with a short exchange of lanchas as sweetdish and headed home to reach at around 1 AM.

The Journey Came to an End.

Home Sweet Home
Kolkata to Ladakh in our Mahindra Thar-20160828_154902.jpg

Home
Total kms driven: 860

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!

Fantastic Travelogue Navtej !! Your travelogue makes me want to pack my bags & head to Ladakh once again. Wonderful pictures !! Thar looks awesome & so do you two. Glad that some of the talk that we had helped.

Keep traveling & Keep writing !!

Regards,

Pawan

We do many road trips; but Ladakh is always a very special one !! Kudos to you guys on choosing and doing this Exotic Road Trip as your Honeymoon !! clap: This will always be special for you people and you will indeed cherish it for a lifetime. Rated it a well deserved 5*

By the way, your Thar looks gorgeous in that Landscape. Considering the fact that this was the Thar's Debut Trip, it will be interesting to see what all places this Thar will take you.

I just recollected my Ladakh Trip (of 2015) while I went through your travelogue and it made me super nostalgic. This calls for another trip in 2018, what say ?

Wow. Rated 5 stars !!

Ladakh travelogues are always so fascinating. Each and every one of them are so unique.

Kudos.