Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2016, 05:37   #16
BANNED

Re: A Magical Afternoon: Munsiyari Bugyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Thank you. Hoping that our Kerala brethren do not sue us :-)......
Not too far-fetched when you come to think of it. Kerala certainly has some very captivating landscapes. Our one trip to Madikeri (back in '97, when we were younger & our

steed of choice was the Tata Sierra - a sorry excuse for an SUV I can tell you, but great fun too!) from Mumbai took us through some 50 km of north Kerala forest, a diversion I

have never regretted. I'd heard of "overhead rain forest canopies blotting out the sky", but this was our own first experience of the real thing - we went through at least 5 kms

without a glimpse of the sky at all. It was dark, eerie and quite magical - at 8 in the morning - and the only part of the trip which has remained embedded in the mind. Yes, our

Kerala cousins can certainly take exception to my remark!

Last edited by shashanka : 7th September 2016 at 05:40.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 15:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

WOW ! The pics are absolutely breathtaking ! Please share some more if possible.
Its good to finally see a thread about Munsiyari on the forum. Extra happy because its my native place.

I will be leaving for Munsiyari (my first visit) in the last week of this month so need some guidance.

How was the route after bhowali ? Are the roads in decent condition ? We are taking our XUV for the trip.

Me and my wife would like to trek to Khaliya Top, how long did it take you to reach the top ? Also how difficult will it be as we both have never been on a trek before. We both workout regularly and are fairly fit.

We are planning to stay midway in Kausani. Any other/better option ?

Thanks.
Old 10th September 2016, 02:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Sir, you have a special love for that place. I remember you had been there the last time I wrote about Nanda devi.
Yes, that was a wonderful trip!

I often spent time alone in the forest, a little crazy that way :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
I remember the calls we heard sititng near river with small fire at night around 11.30pm or so were kind of scary for me even when we have another 3-4 people around us. I can only imagine how you would have spent the time half a kilometer away from the place to stay, with not a single human being to accompany!

But for sure your stories and travelogues have inspired many. My trip to Tadoba earlier in the summer was most memorable and that has kind of hooked me up to all wildlife Tlogs/ experiences to look forward to!
Yes, it was very nice sitting on a moonlit riverbank, listening to the sounds of the forest. I am apprehensive about elephants, not so much about big cats. Btw, you had some great sightings in Tadoba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Not too far-fetched when you come to think of it. Kerala certainly has some very captivating landscapes. Our one trip to Madikeri (back in '97, when we were younger & our

steed of choice was the Tata Sierra - a sorry excuse for an SUV I can tell you, but great fun too!) from Mumbai took us through some 50 km of north Kerala forest, a diversion I have never regretted.
Tata Sierra was an enviable vehicle back then. I spent one month in Kerala back in 2001, traveling to various places. A beautiful state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
I will be leaving for Munsiyari (my first visit) in the last week of this month so need some guidance.

How was the route after bhowali ? Are the roads in decent condition ? We are taking our XUV for the trip.

Me and my wife would like to trek to Khaliya Top, how long did it take you to reach the top ? Also how difficult will it be as we both have never been on a trek before. We both workout regularly and are fairly fit.

We are planning to stay midway in Kausani. Any other/better option ?

Thanks.
XUV should handle all roads. But no idea about conditions after the monsoons. Ask on HVK forum on Facebook, someone will know the latest road conditions. Things can change quickly after the monsoons.

Kausani is a beautiful place, especially if the peaks are out. Otherwise Chaukori is also nice, but a longer drive. You can also stay at Binsar (my choice).

Khuliya Top is not strenuous if you don't carry a backpack, and maintain a moderate pace. Some people go up and come down the same day. Make sure to dress in layers.
----------------------------

A few more photos.

A Magical Afternoon: Munsiyari Bugyal-dsc_3057.jpg

A Magical Afternoon: Munsiyari Bugyal-dsc_2710.jpg

A Magical Afternoon: Munsiyari Bugyal-dsc_2988.jpg

Clouds
A Magical Afternoon: Munsiyari Bugyal-dsc_3107.jpg

Panned shot
A Magical Afternoon: Munsiyari Bugyal-dsc_2705_small.jpg

Ravens
A Magical Afternoon: Munsiyari Bugyal-dsc_2660.jpg

Next morning
A Magical Afternoon: Munsiyari Bugyal-dsc_3081.jpg
nilanjanray is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 18:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

XUV should handle all roads. But no idea about conditions after the monsoons. Ask on HVK forum on Facebook, someone will know the latest road conditions. Things can change quickly after the monsoons.
Ok, hoping that the rain gods keep sleeping for a while.

Quote:
Kausani is a beautiful place, especially if the peaks are out. Otherwise Chaukori is also nice, but a longer drive. You can also stay at Binsar (my choice).
Iv been to Binsar a couple of times, if the drive gets too tiring then i think even almora is a decent option to stay.

Quote:
Khuliya Top is not strenuous if you don't carry a backpack, and maintain a moderate pace. Some people go up and come down the same day. Make sure to dress in layers.
No backpack will just carry some water and hire a local guide as well.

Thanks for the info. Cheers.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 13th September 2016 at 18:06.
Old 27th September 2016, 08:07   #20
BHPian

@nilanjanray.
Holy Yikes! The 1st pic was enough for me to subscribe to the thread and decide even before reading the full TL that I should make this trip! Will bother you for pointers soon, hopefully.
Great TL and superb pics.
Warm Regards
Unavowed_X9
Old 31st May 2018, 20:38   #21

----------------------------
That's an inspiring travelogue!

How would June be as a month to travel to Munsiyari? My second question is whether the vehicle needs to be an SUV or a sedan like Honda City/ Hyundai Verna tackle it?
Old 31st May 2018, 23:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Those are some amazing Photographs. Thanks for sharing.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 07:14   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Enchanted

Camping out is something to be experienced. Especially if you can find a spot near small stream on a full moon night.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 03:03   #24
BHPian

Just came across this Travelogue. Wonderful pics indeed. Some dreamy captures and some vivid ones.

Loved the B&W captures as well.

My fav ... the Vulture. Its such a beautiful and much maligned bird. Lovely!!! Thanks for posting the pics.
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 13:48   #25
BHPian

Superb clicks Nilanjan! Your pictures almost take us to the mystical world!
If only I could get my pics to be even half as good

How safe is the whole camping part, especially w.r.t. isolated locations in India and the general sense of security here?
DuHasstMich is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 20:35   #26
BHPian

You have the eye. No doubt about it. Superb photographs. And the right way to travel.
shall try and drive to Munsiyari this October.
Old 18th September 2019, 16:22   #27
BHPian

Fabulous photography! BnW photos are surreal!
How could I ever miss this thread!

Were you carrying telephoto also on the trail?

Most Viewed