Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2016, 17:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Landcruising: Uganda to Congo border

Awesome narration supplemented with terrific snaps. Uganda tourism is off for a boost from BHPains looks like.
Old 19th September 2016, 21:49   #32
BHPian

Simply Wow! Great pictures and narration.

Are there any precautionary steps you took for safety? Like not using phone in public place etc?
Old 20th September 2016, 08:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Could you give more info on the trip organisers and how easy is it for common people to arrange these trips?
Also were there special vaccination requirements for the Visa? .
I went with a local company called Churchill tours. Went with their suggestions on routes, lodges etc since they are one of the most respected outfitters and I had a good experience overall. It is easy for common people to arrange the drive / tour - for the treks, I'd suggest one needs to be relatively fit since its not a walk in the park :-)
Yellow fever is mandatory like in most other African countries in the region. Most other vaccines like Hep A,B, etc is optional. At airport on landing, only yellow fever certificate is checked and not the others. Anti malarials are critical for rainforests - I used Malarone which you start couple of days before trip, through the trip and one week after the trip. Unfortunately its not available in India and you might have to source from elsewhere which adds a bit to overall cost if insurer do not cover. Other anti malarials available in India have some side effects but I've used them over the past decade repeatedly and did not have much trouble.

Visa is on arrival for Indians and can be applied online (But you pay once you reach, 50 USD)

Last edited by snan : 20th September 2016 at 08:26.
snan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 08:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Simply Wow! Great pictures and narration.

Are there any precautionary steps you took for safety? Like not using phone in public place etc?
Rural africa is super safe. In Kampala and Entebbe one has to be more careful. Your phone might be snatched away if windows are not locked in night - in fact I saw one failed attempt. But no where as bad as Nairobi for example. I walked on foot in the city and never felt unsafe unlike many other cities.
snan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 19:27   #35
BHPian

Sitting glued to this thread ! Amazing scenes and photographs. Nicely presented. Thanks for the treat !
Old 22nd September 2016, 10:27   #36
BHPian

Snan,
That was an amazing travelogue with great pictures. I am sure the pictures can never match the experience of being there.
It brings back memories of my overland trip to SA and Botswana, ending in Victoria falls, way back in 2002.
Africa is something else!. Nothing can match the simultaneous feeling of thrill and tranquility of being there.
In any civil war or unrest situation, the wildlife always suffers. It is good to know that Gorilla conservation is taken seriously and it is happening in earnest now. Hope that the species makes a comeback.
Another trip added to my bucket list.
Once again, thanks for sharing and I've rated it 5 stars.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 18:04   #37

Many thanks for sharing this amazing post. Your photos are awesome, esp. the last one of the kid gorilla. May I ask, about the camera gear you used? Loved reading it.
I completely agree that tourism is a must for conserving what's left of the African jungles and the animals who live in them. It breaks my heart to hear about rampant commercialization of such a beautiful continent with virtually no economic development of the poor natives. The Europeans started it, US picked it up and now its the Chinese. The Africans still remain poor, neglected and often vulnerable. Too much conflict in a land where the natives are simple people who just want to be left in peace.
Mitul1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 19:05   #38
Team-BHP Support

I had missed seeing this travelogue earlier, and am glad i discovered it now. Beautiful pics, and heart-warming narration.

I know that i would never get to visit these places and indulge in adventures of this kind, and hence grateful for seeing these places through your eyes.

Thanks a lot for sharing this with the rest of us.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 17:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitul1979 View Post
Many thanks for sharing this amazing post. Your photos are awesome, esp. the last one of the kid gorilla. May I ask, about the camera gear you used? Loved reading it.
The Africans still remain poor, neglected and often vulnerable. Too much conflict in a land where the natives are simple people who just want to be left in peace.
I use 7D and 6D (FF). On lens I use 100-400, 300 2.8 and 17-40. Lot of the pics from the rainforest is on 300 2.8 on 6D given in some cases almost zero light. I couldn't agree more about whats happening to the continent. But no obvious solutions since as long as you can grease the palms of top leadership anything goes.
snan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 13:32   #40
BHPian

Such awesome pictures, much wow. Thanks for sharing snan. This travelogue is gold. I loved the way how you presented Africa for us.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks