Old 17th May 2017, 16:33   #31
BHPian

Re: The mountains are calling & I must go! Tour de Ladakh in a Maruti Dzire

One for the Passes

Rohtang Pass
Altitude: 3,978 Meters (13,051 Feet)
Distance from Manali: 51 Km
Distance from Leh: 424 Km

The mountains are calling & I must go! Tour de Ladakh in a Maruti Dzire-dscn0169.jpg

Baralacha La Pass
Altitude: 4,850 Meters (15,912 Feet)
Distance from Manali: 191 Km
Distance from Leh: 284 Km

The mountains are calling & I must go! Tour de Ladakh in a Maruti Dzire-dscn0241.jpg

Nakee La Pass
Altitude: 4,738 Meters (15,547 Feet)
Distance from Manali:259 Km
Distance from Leh: 216 Km

The mountains are calling & I must go! Tour de Ladakh in a Maruti Dzire-dscn0290.jpg

Lachung La Pass
Altitude: 5,064 Meters (16,616 Feet)
Distance from Manali:278 Km
Distance from Leh: 197 Km

The mountains are calling & I must go! Tour de Ladakh in a Maruti Dzire-dscn0311.jpg

Tanglang La Pass
Altitude: 5,358 Meters (17,582 Feet)
Distance from Manali: 365 Km
Distance from Leh: 110 Km

The mountains are calling & I must go! Tour de Ladakh in a Maruti Dzire-dscn0413.jpg

Khardung La Pass (World's Highest Motorable Pass)
Altitude: 5,602 Meters (18,380 Feet)
Distance from Leh: 39 Km

The mountains are calling & I must go! Tour de Ladakh in a Maruti Dzire-dscn0692.jpg

Chang La Pass
Altitude: 5,391 Meters (17,688 Feet)
Distance from Leh: 74 Km

The mountains are calling & I must go! Tour de Ladakh in a Maruti Dzire-dscn0796.jpg

Fotu La Pass (Highest Point on Leh-Srinagar Highway)
Altitude: 4,108 Meters (13,479 Feet)
Distance from Leh: 129 Km

The mountains are calling & I must go! Tour de Ladakh in a Maruti Dzire-dscn6195.jpg

Namik La Pass
Altitude: 3,717 Meters (12,198 Feet)
Distance from Leh: 166 Km

The mountains are calling & I must go! Tour de Ladakh in a Maruti Dzire-dscn6204.jpg
The mountains are calling & I must go! Tour de Ladakh in a Maruti Dzire-dscn6209.jpg
ssambyal1980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 18:56   #32
BHPian

I enjoyed the pictures. The string I searched was "Dzire+Travelogue" and this one popped up. I always wanted to do Leh in my 2017 model Dzire however I was so doubtful if I really can. Now I know - its possible. It would be great to know the below details.

- What time of the year you did this trip
- You starting point and the route you did
- How many days did you plan and approximately how many kilometers you covered in a day
- Do we need any specific type of tyres
- Any other suggestions...

I always have believed that for an ultra long trip, its not the car that matters the most, its the will. One may not do that long a trip even after owning a SUV
Tygerman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 16:26   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerman View Post
I enjoyed the pictures. The string I searched was "Dzire+Travelogue" and this one popped up. I always wanted to do Leh in my 2017 model Dzire however I was so doubtful if I really can. Now I know - its possible. It would be great to know the below details.

- What time of the year you did this trip
- You starting point and the route you did
- How many days did you plan and approximately how many kilometers you covered in a day
- Do we need any specific type of tyres
- Any other suggestions...

I always have believed that for an ultra long trip, its not the car that matters the most, its the will. One may not do that long a trip even after owning a SUV
Thanks alot for going through the travelogue and for kind words of appreciation. Before I planned this trip I too was a bit skeptical but nonetheless was quite confident about the performance of Dzire as had already subjected it to the most grueling Himalayan routes before. Had undertaken two trips in Lahaul, Spiti and Pattan valleys across the mighty Sach, Kunzum & Rohtang Pass. before trip to Ladakh. The things that go in Dzire's favour are its good ground clearance coupled with a powerful petrol engine which punches way above its weight. Nonetheless as you have very well pointed out, its the will to go that matters the most.

Coming to the queries you have:

1. Did this trip in the second and third week of September 2016 as from weather point of view its always safe to traverse the Himalayas after the monsoons. By September with the rains being over and the snows having melted, most of the water crossings on the route dry up or have very little flow which can be easily negotiated by front wheel drive vehicles. Hence would suggest the month of September with preferably first fortnight of the month for embarking on Ladakh road trip.

2. Started off from Chandigarh and the route was as follows:
Day 1: Chandigarh to Manali (Via Bilaspur, Mandi, Kullu)
Day 2: Manali to Sarchu (Via Rohtang Pass, Keylong, Darcha, Baralacha Pass)
Day 3: Sarchu to Leh (Via Nakeela Pass, Lachungla Pass, Pang, Debring, Tanglangla Pass, Upshi)

3. Planned the trip for around 10 days with a buffer of 1-2 days but finally it turned out to be of 12 days. On an average covered a distance of approximately 250 km per day as wanted to do the trip on a leisurely pace by fully soaking up the vast Himalayan panorama around.

4. Did the trip with stock tires (Original Company Fitted) which are MRF ZV2K 165/80 R14 Steel Radial. Stock tires will do well but just make sure they are in good condition.

5. Regarding essential items to carry, do have a look a look at the checklists which I have mentioned in the travelogue.

Looking forward to read your travel experiences. Wish you pleasant and adventure filled trips. GODSPEED.

Regards.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks