Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2016, 15:30   #16
BHPian

Re: The journey continues...together! Across the British Isles - Scotland & England

Dear gearhead_malt. what a wonderful trip and such lovely pictures. By God ki kasam, u have truly captured the essence of the scottish isles very well. Eagerly looking forward to moire and more travelogues from your side
mentalmaxout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 23:13   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The journey continues...together! Across the British Isles - Scotland & England

By the way, I recall you saying something about cleanliness and the absence of rubbish bins near to Buckingham Palace. Yes, the British people have been well taught to use bins or take their rubbish home. At the same time, we have been under threat, over the years, from various entities trying to blow us up, and I seem to remember some such episode, I don't recall which one, causing the removal of bins in certain places. Just possible that this may explain their absence near to a building which not only houses, but is a huge symbol of British royalty.

So, believe it or not, there is more than meets the eye to the simple presence or absence of a litter bin! Anyway, I don't know for sure, but this is my theory

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th November 2016 at 23:16.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 03:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmaxout View Post
Dear gearhead_malt. what a wonderful trip and such lovely pictures. By God ki kasam, u have truly captured the essence of the scottish isles very well. Eagerly looking forward to moire and more travelogues from your side
Thanks a lot, mentalmaxout! I try to put down whatever our feeling was about any place we visit. This has been no different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Fantastic gearhead_mait. The simplicity with which you pen your travelogues makes them very relatable. I could sense your excitement & emotions sitting infront of my Laptop. I am so glad you wrote a travelogue on this trip. Brilliant pictures.
Keep Traveling & Keep Writing
Regards,

Pawan
Thanks, Pawan! The excitement and emotion was partially attributed to the fact that I am returning to my Country soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
By the way, I recall you saying something about cleanliness and the absence of rubbish bins near to Buckingham Palace. Yes, the British people have been well taught to use bins or take their rubbish home. At the same time, we have been under threat, over the years, from various entities trying to blow us up, and I seem to remember some such episode, I don't recall which one, causing the removal of bins in certain places. Just possible that this may explain their absence near to a building which not only houses, but is a huge symbol of British royalty.

So, believe it or not, there is more than meets the eye to the simple presence or absence of a litter bin! Anyway, I don't know for sure, but this is my theory
Thanks for your explanation but I beg to disagree on a few points.

I agree with your "being under threat" or symbol of British royalty theory.

But, sincerely, I am not very confident of the "well taught to use bins" concept. Reason being:

1) In my mention of the London Underground stations in the travelogue, I cited that it is one of the dirty places in London. Kolkata Metro fares much much better in terms of cleanliness.

2) Many roads are full of cigarette butts, in spite of litter bins placed strategically. Many people don't even think twice before dropping the cigarette butts.

3) I have even seen that pets were made to poop in the road openly and the owner walks away casually, as if the payment of Council Tax is the only liability.

In fact, from my experience, the countries of Central Europe like Switzerland, Austria, Germany and even Czech Republic are far more cleaner and people much more disciplined.
Old 30th November 2016, 17:28   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
In fact, from my experience, the countries of Central Europe like Switzerland, Austria, Germany and even Czech Republic are far more cleaner and people much more disciplined.
I can accept that. You can imagine that London and UK seems clean to me when I journey there now from Chennai, but I wouldn't like to compare it with Singapore!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed