Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2017, 18:16   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Throwback to a bygone era - Bhutan in a Bolero 4x4

Thanks a lot everybody for the wonderful feedback. I did not quote individual post to say my thanks, so please pardon me for that. But I am truly elated at the response of each one of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
One doubt though - incase the Bolero had run into any serious issues, is there local support for Mahindra vehicles? What were the most common SUVs used by the locals in Bhutan?
Yes, I think it will be easy to get support for Mahindra vehicles as a lot of them are sold in Bhutan. Most common SUVs and Trucks are Toyota Landcruisers including a lot of Prados, Toyota 70 series, Mahindra Bolero, Toyota Hilux and Mahindra Pickups. I have seen quite a few Tata Xenons as well.

This pic shows how popular the Bolero is in Bhutan

Throwback to a bygone era - Bhutan in a Bolero 4x4-img_20161001_105318.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidea View Post
By the way, good news for folks traveling to Bhutan is that offline GPS map is now available free on Map.me app on Andriod.
I tried quite a few offline maps, but none of them worked properly in Eastern Bhutan. For some strange reason Google map still does not show the route between Trashigang and Samdrup Jongkhar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
When is the best month for the drive through Bhutan?
October and March would be the best months I think, but I am not too sure. I have heard that the roadwork from west to east Bhutan will be completed by 2018. It will be better to plan after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
One question: Does the name on the RC of the car and the traveler have to be the same? I am having a company leased car, hence the question.
I don't think that both the names have to be same, as long as you have the original papers. To be on the safer side it will be better to take a letter from the company that you are authorized to drive the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
I wonder why you chose the Bolero over Thar? Was it due to the covered cabin compared to the tarp of the Thar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
I just didn't understand the logic of choosing Bolero over Thar though both are equally capable machines.
Both the Bolero and Thar are very capable machines, in fact the Thar will be a better off-roader than the Bolero due to shorter wheelbase and better power to weight ratio. But the IFS of the Thar is costlier to maintain and the Thar's front tyres get misaligned more easily compared to the Bolero on rough roads. So if I know that the road condition is horrible I tend to choose the Bolero over the Thar.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 7th January 2017 at 18:45.
BlackPearl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 20:11   #32
BHPian

Lovely travelogue Sumitro. Enjoyed it thoroughly.
Saurabh M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 07:58   #33
BHPian

Wonderful write-up, BlackPearl.

Can the availability of petrol/diesel become a problem while driving through Bhutan?
Tanmay K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 12:18   #34
BHPian

Wow what a road trip. I had gone to Bhutan in 2009 on 2 wheels but only to Thimphu and Paro. This travelogue is really a godsend as there is so little info on roads inside Bhutan, especially the central and western parts. Hats off to you. Enjoyed reading a travelogue thoroughly.
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 08:35   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful pics and narration blackpearl. Driving through non existent roads for 100s of kms is just crazy but I guess the risk is worth the reward . Thanks a lot for taking us on this virtual journey to Bhutan and someday I hope to drive down these roads in a 4*4 and enjoy the beauty of this little country.

Can you also share some details around cost of stay and food? Will help plan the trip as the USD 800 for a night stay is way way out of budget

How was the night sky? Is the milky way visible from any of these locations? We (me, my better half & my 6 year old) have been obsessed with spending a night under clear unpolluted sky to get a good look at the milky way.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 16:02   #36
BHPian

Dear Blackpearl,

Your travelogue is informative, thrilling and loaded with great photos. Learnt quite a bit of Bhutan - you must have spent quite some time researching about the place. If possible, please add the distances between the places (on your map) - it will surely benefit other travellers/readers of this forum.

Again, thanks a lot for sharing such an experience with us.

Btw, the apartment of yours is awesome !

Regards,
Sayak

Last edited by sayakc : 10th January 2017 at 16:04.
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 19:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quite an excursion, Sumitro, and some really well-done photography in there, too. Thanks for taking the time to compile / share it all with us, many for whom the adventures of Bhutan may never become a personal reality.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 20:53   #38
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a lot once again for the wonderful responses. Here is one video of trail driving in Jakar -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Can the availability of petrol/diesel become a problem while driving through Bhutan?
I had taken 40 litres of diesel with me but found out that it was not needed. Petrol and diesel is available throughout Bhutan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Can you also share some details around cost of stay and food? Will help plan the trip as the USD 800 for a night stay is way way out of budget
The hotels where we stayed cost mostly in the range of INR 3000 to 4500 per night.
Both of are us absolute foodies, so our expenditure on food will not be a good benchmark Jokes apart, we spent around INR 1500 to 2000 per day on food for two of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
How was the night sky? Is the milky way visible from any of these locations? We (me, my better half & my 6 year old) have been obsessed with spending a night under clear unpolluted sky to get a good look at the milky way.
I am not the right person for answering this question. Pollution is very less is all I can say. Need to get hold of photography experts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
you must have spent quite some time researching about the place. If possible, please add the distances between the places (on your map) - it will surely benefit other travellers/readers of this forum.
Yes, we have planning to visit Bhutan for the last 5 years. Most of the research credit goes to Rajsri, and the rest to the travelogues on team-bhp. By the way, the book on Bhutan by Koko Singh is a nice read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Btw, the apartment of yours is awesome !
Thanks a lot
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 19:33   #39
BHPian

what a trip , thanks for sharing the experience and wonderful photographs with us and surely it inspired to me do a road trip to Bhutan .
Anuruddhs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 15:07   #40
BHPian

What a wonderful trip and the way you shared your experiences.
Simply invaluable.

Quick question, I've been driving a 2008 SLX for a very long time, with at least weekly feeling that it was a 4x4.

I was under the impression that all 4x4 Boleros are with a roof hump towards the rear, and yours seems flat. Which model is yours and are they still being sold?

Thanks in advance!
bolbolerobol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 17:48   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolbolerobol View Post
Quick question, I've been driving a 2008 SLX for a very long time, with at least weekly feeling that it was a 4x4.

I was under the impression that all 4x4 Boleros are with a roof hump towards the rear, and yours seems flat. Which model is yours and are they still being sold?
@bolbolerobol, my Bolero's model is Lx 4x4 and it comes with a flat roof. The one you are talking about is the Di 4x4. At the point of purchase in 2012, the main differences between these two were -

1. Di 4x4 was longer and roof was sloping upwards B pillar onward. So head room was much more at the rear.
2. Di 4x4 did not have power steering. Also the hand brake lever was placed on the right side of the driver. In LX it is in the standard position i.e. in between the front seats.
3. Di 4x4 did not have body coloured bumper, though currently my Bolero also does not have them as I coloured them black

The price of Di 4x4 was 20K less than LX 4x4.

You can go through the following threads, one on Bolero LX 4x4 and the other on Di 4x4 -

Bolero LX 4x4
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ro-lx-4x4.html

Bolero Di 4x4
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-its-mods.html
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 09:53   #42

There is only one word for this Travelogue - " Fantastic"

It seems that you have come back from a journey of a lifetime. This travelogue will certainly help others who are planning to drive through this beautiful country.
4x4@theheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 12:25   #43
BHPian

Brilliant as always BlackPearl !! Fantastically written with some amazing photographs. I think it is time HULK makes its maiden trip to Bhutan.

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 14:39   #44
BHPian

Wonderfully described and the pictures complemented the writing perfectly.
As Samba said, this could be a guide for fellow travelers to Bhutan.

Brilliant travelogue. Rated 5*!
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 15:05   #45
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Sumitro Da, this is 'The Bible' for anybody planning a roadtrip to Bhutan specially the eastern part and Bumthang Valley.

Bhutan has been in my radar for long. I had been to Phuentsholing once (just a few hours detour from Hashimara) but really wish to explore the entire country. Sadly I have always heard that the roads in Central and Eastern Bhutan can tax a vehicle's suspension and underbody. This is the only reason I have been postponing my trip since last 2-3 years.

Thanks to your travelogue, that urge is now at an all-time high but again the roads do not give me confidence to take a non-4WD vehicle there. Might take the plunge on my Enfield in one of the dry months later this year if conditions are suitable.

Lovely travelogue and beautiful pictures. Rating it 5-stars !
//M is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed