Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2017, 20:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Throwback to a bygone era - Bhutan in a Bolero 4x4

The last I had visited Bhutan (upto Thimphu) was back in 2002 with a Maruti 800 (having the 5-Speed Gearbox then) but that also for work. Ever since then, it has been on my To Do List from a long time now. In fact plans have been made and cancelled due to unavoidable circumstances.

Your travelogue would be the Bible for me whenever the Bhutan Trip would finally materialize for me. Rated it a well deserved 5* !!

Excellent & informative write up and the pictures depict the serenity and the beauty of the Kingdom of Bhutan to the fullest. Keep Sharing & Keep Inspiring !!
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 22:53   #17
BHPian

This is some serious travelling. You are an inspiration for everyone good Sir. The narration was so intense. I was almost imagining taking the stop or go decisions in the slush . The number of places coverd and the amount of details you have shared is immense. This blog is going to be the benchmark of driving to Bhutan . I must say each and every picture is perfect with the right amount of evrything. The amount of paitence needed is massive on those roads and its always a great place to test the vehicle and mostly your capabilities . Extremely happy after reading your blog .

Well deserved 5*
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 02:09   #18
BHPian

Just spent more than an hour in Bhutan, thanks to this brilliant travelogue!

One doubt though - incase the Bolero had run into any serious issues, is there local support for Mahindra vehicles? What were the most common SUVs used by the locals in Bhutan?
pavanmadhini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 10:01   #19
BHPian

Brilliant travelogue, thanks.

By the way, good news for folks traveling to Bhutan is that offline GPS map is now available free on Map.me app on Andriod.

Happy travelling !!
noidea is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 12:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
After the morning fiasco was over, we encountered bad roads like we had never seen before. In India we are used to bad stretches of roads, but there it continued for hundreds of kilometers with no respite. The Bolero trudged along. There was hardly any traffic on this route except a few government vehicles and pick-up trucks.
So true the words in bold itallic above.
We did this trip in April end May first week 2016 just 4 months before you. We were two vehicles. Mine is a 4x4 Fortuner and the other vehicle was a Skoda Rapid . We were oblivious of the road condition when we started from Bhopal. It was when we were driving from Punakha to Phobjika that i stopped my car, got down and said to my friend " Brother if it rains here your car will not come back. Shall we change the plans ? ". He said No I am willing to take the risk. . We went upto Bumthang and God gave us best of the weather. Except a 1 hr shower in Bumthang which itself made life difficult for the Rapid, we just escaped through.
Offcourse it was a different thing that the Rapid's front and rear suspension got shot and had to be changed when we came back !
columbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 12:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
... It was pitch dark and Rajsri held the torch while I was changing the tyre with the stepney. Just as I was about to put the deflated tyre back at the rear, a loud sound came from about 10 meters ahead of us. We looked at each other and realised that a landslide had started. It was a moment we will never forget.
Your travelogue is full of suspense and climax. Indeed, sometime real-life experience can beat even the reel-life drama! Through descriptive writing together with beautiful pictures you appeared to have carried us through the wonderful kingdom of Bhutan amidst its up and down. Keep it up!

Cheers,
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 13:53   #22
BHPian

Excellent travelogue coupled with beautiful photos. I love the buildings in Bhutan with their fantastic colour combination. I wonder why you chose the Bolero over Thar? Was it due to the covered cabin compared to the tarp of the Thar? A drive to Bhutan is on my list of drives. When is the best month for the drive through Bhutan?
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 14:27   #23
BHPian

Wonderful Narration. Excellent photographs

Thanks a bunch for this brilliant travelogue.
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 14:47   #24
BHPian

Beautiful recollection of all the event and thanks for sharing the itinerary in detail. We were always wanting to do a Bhutan roadtrip, now, I am firming up my mind. I loved the way you explained each picture, it took us to those places. And wonderful photography!

One question: Does the name on the RC of the car and the traveller have to be the same? I am having a company leased car, hence the question. Thanks for sharing!
wanderlust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 15:09   #25
BHPian

It was a long and grueling wait. But it's here now and it's beyond anything words could express!! This ain't just a travelogue, this is the ultimate encyclopedia of Bhutan. I'm overwhelmed with the amount of information gathered and shared here. Needless to say, every picture demanded a click to be viewed in full size. The adventures are unparalleled. You are the urban monk indeed!

Thanks for sharing this treasure with us.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 18:16   #26
BHPian

Beautiful travelogue BlackPearl! You took me along with you there!

I can see how beautiful Bhutan is through your photographs and can only imagine how beautiful it must have been for you when you let all the beauty sink in, in person. Thank you for your time and effort in penning this travelogue.
sidzzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 18:57   #27
BHPian

Thanks for sharing a stupendous travelogue that is a veritable treasure trove of information. I nurture an unfulfilled desire of travelling through east Bhutan and will refer to this link when the time comes !

I had the good fortune of driving my own steed to Bhutan some years back - though nowhere as adventurous and thrilling as yours. The memories are penned here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hangri-la.html

I had planned to cover the east as well , but desisted when I heard about the "roads". My trusty Getz served me well , but it was not meant to be driven on such "fascinating tarmac"!

Last edited by DriveTrain : 6th January 2017 at 18:58.
DriveTrain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 01:19   #28
BHPian

Fantastic Travelogue, thanks. Bhutan as a country always surprises me, small but so much to offer. Perfect getaway from the hustle bustle of our cities.
I just didn't understand the logic of choosing Bolero over Thar though both are equally capable machines.
Highh5 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 16:15   #29
BHPian

What a Travelogue !!!! awesome pictures , brilliant write up with lot of information. It seems as if I have traveled Bhutan after reading this.

Thanks for sharing your experience , it is and will be very useful for any one planning such a trip.
SinghBHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 17:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A road trip to Bhutan has been on the list for the last several years, and though I am not a superstitious person, somehow started to have a feeling that the idea was jinxed.
Vow, such a wonderful travelogue. No doubt when you take five long years for planning something, the outcome would be nothing less than a "masterpiece". Take a bow Sir

Never wondered a small country like Bhutan could be such an amazing place. Each picture looks straight out of an art gallery. Don't get surprised if you start getting frantic calls from the The "Lonely Planet" or the "National Geographic" Channels of this world after they go through this travelogue.

Just a week back I published my travelogue on the 4 day driving holiday of the coastal areas of Konkan & I was like "on a high", but this Bhutan journey of yours have brought me down on my knees .

Keep traveling and writing such wonderful stories.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed