Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2016, 12:25   #16

Re: Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Beautiful and rugged! Adjectives that apply to both the landscape and the car

Did you feel the Endeavour was a bit too large for the narrow roads though?
Thanks MaLaren.

There were some turns the car could not make in one go and the longer wheel base meant we had to be careful on top of the hills. However having said all that, I would not take any other car on this road. The terrain management system in the endy worked seamlessly and with the "rock mode", "low range gear box" and "rear differential lock" engaged, I felt that I could take on any obstacle that came our way.
Old 14th December 2016, 22:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpandey View Post
Thanks Madmax SP,

Yes you can access the location from India by car. You will need to cross into Nepal through one of the borders nearest to you in your car. For Indian vehicles going beyond the nearest Nepali town or staying overnight in the bordering districts of Nepal are required to register the entry of vehicles for the specific number of days on payment of charges varying from NRs. 250/- to 500/- per day depending on the type of vehicle. The Pass/Challan issued by the Nepali Custom Authorities should be available for inspection all the time and has to be surrendered to the Nepali customs authorities at the time of exit from Nepal.
Excellent tlog and pics. The roads are sure to test your nerves. I have one question to ask, is it possible to enter and exit Nepal from two diff border crossings? If I enter from near to Silliguri can I exit towards Uttrakhand?
Old 15th December 2016, 10:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Amit,

Superb article on your trip to Manang. I would encourage you to share your pics too. It would definitely add to this thread.

Thanks
Thank you for the praises for that article in The Kathmandu Post. The photos have been taken with a mediocre point and shoot camera: Sony Cybershot T200. The photos may not be Team-BHP-standard and I apologize for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09607.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09612.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09638.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09639.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09640.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09642.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09645.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09663.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09676.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09678.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09691.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09694.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09709.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09734.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09739.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09745.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09771.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09776.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09777.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09782.jpg  

amitjha086 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 10:30   #19
BHPian

A few more shots. When we were there in 2011, mules and horses were the only means of transportation. There's now dirt road in many places. Boleros carry people as well as goods to most of the hinterlands.
Attached Thumbnails
Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09783.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09785.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09808.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09835.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09850.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc09852.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc11825.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc13851.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc13853.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc13857.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dsc13919.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dscn8578.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dscn8592.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dscn8594.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dscn8595.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dscn8596.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dscn8597.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dscn8599.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dscn8600.jpg  

Offroad Trip to Manang (Nepal) in a Ford Endeavour - The journey of a lifetime-dscn8604.jpg  

amitjha086 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 18:56   #20
BHPian

Is this strictly 4x4 territory, or can it be traversed by a 4x2 with good GC? Please advise!
(Read the answer to a similar query, realised too late to delete. Mods may remove this post if needed). Can an Ecosport do this trail?

Last edited by Madmax_SP : 19th December 2016 at 19:19. Reason: Error in not noticing earlier post that answered my query.
Madmax_SP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 10:54   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax_SP View Post
Is this strictly 4x4 territory, or can it be traversed by a 4x2 with good GC? Please advise!
(Read the answer to a similar query, realised too late to delete. Mods may remove this post if needed). Can an Ecosport do this trail?
I dont think Ecosport would be able to travel through the rocky roads.
4X4 with at least 225MM GC is recommended.

Thanks,
adpandey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 13:57   #22
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpandey View Post
I have taken many road trips before and enjoyed most of them. But never before had I experienced fear, excitement and awe at the same time. My trip to Manang changed all that.
Wow this is one amazing travelogue. Thanks for sharing this adpandey.

I have a few queries regarding the Annapurna Conservation Area. Is it possible to drive/ride upto Lo Manthang (Upper Mustang Valley) from Jomsom/Kagbeni in an Indian registered vehicle?

I have heard that some organisers ferry tourists in 4x4 Jeeps from Pokhara to Lo Manthang and back but their services come at a steep premium. Is there any other alternative to travel by road to Lo Manthang?

Can this be done on a motorcycle (registered in India) ?

As per my limited knowledge, Indians can drive upto Kagbeni/Muktinath and permits for the same has to be taken from Pokhara. But there is no such clarity about the permits if one wishes to go beyond Kagbeni.

I would have loved to trek till Lo Manthang but sadly I will have limited time so a week long trek won't be possible for me. So I was looking at other faster yet relatively cheaper options to visit the unexplored Upper Mustang Valley by road.

Any leads would help.
Old 13th March 2017, 00:24   #23
BHPian

Been researching the area and here is what I found (and confirmed with an agency which runs vehicle trips in the area):
To enter Upper Mustang past KagBeni you need to have a permit which is 500 USD per head (valid for 10 days), be in a group of at least two with a guide.
Same applies to Indians also. There is no getting around that, whether you are driving or trekking.
genesis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 10:24   #24
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Been researching the area and here is what I found (and confirmed with an agency which runs vehicle trips in the area):
To enter Upper Mustang past KagBeni you need to have a permit which is 500 USD per head (valid for 10 days), be in a group of at least two with a guide.
Same applies to Indians also. There is no getting around that, whether you are driving or trekking.
Whoa 500 USD per head for a permit is way too steep !

This means I can go only upto Kagbeni and Muktinath with the local permit from Pokhara.

Thanks a lot for the info genesis.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 22:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Whoa 500 USD per head for a permit is way too steep !

This means I can go only upto Kagbeni and Muktinath with the local permit from Pokhara.

Thanks a lot for the info genesis.

I would make sure that the $500 charge is for Indians too. I just got back from Upper Mustang and I had asked around. The guide that was with me mentioned that they do not charge $500 for Indians. I would confirm with the Nepali Authorities.

Also, I have pasted a video of my drive at Upper Mustang. The video is unedited, however, it will give you an idea of how beautiful it is up there.

adpandey is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks