Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2015, 09:44   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
How is the condition of SH42 in general, I suppose its two lane highway, does it really save time w.r.t. continuing on NH5?
It's 2 laned, decent condition from what I've heard. Time savings will be around 20 mins or so.
Old 9th November 2015, 14:57   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post

13. I might sound incredulous, but for driving pleasure, if you are in South Bangalore stick to the GQ, and go via Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Chennai. It will save you time and also lower the risks, despite being about a 100 kms more.

In WB, any bit of political unrest can result in road blocks and other stupid things, so that's gonna be a calculated risk you will have to take.

All the best.
Thanks Oreen for the wonderful detailed inputs. This will serve us as a ready reckoner during journey. All points are duly noted and preparations are underway.

13. -> I was thinking on this part. I stay near Silk Board. Quite undecided between this and Tirupathi section. I am fine with 100-130 odd kms extra as long it does not adds considerable time to the whole journey. Looking to reach Vizag by 6:30pm - 7pm (max). What would you suggest with 3am start. Hosur or Tirupathi section ?

Yes, I am looking to take Bankura- Durgapur road only if I have enough daylight. If not, will consider either sticking to GQ or taking a halt in Kharagpur.
anupams is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 16:24   #213
BHPian

[quote=anupams;3844594]Thanks Oreen for the wonderful detailed inputs. This will serve us as a ready reckoner during journey. All points are duly noted and preparations are underway.

13. -> I was thinking on this part. I stay near Silk Board. Quite undecided between this and Tirupathi section. I am fine with 100-130 odd kms extra as long it does not adds considerable time to the whole journey. Looking to reach Vizag by 6:30pm - 7pm (max). What would you suggest with 3am start. Hosur or Tirupathi section ?

You will have to travel through the city and then come out on the Kolar highway through Whitefield. Till you reach the highway, it will easily be an hour because the roads are bad in Whitefield. In that one hour, you can reach beyond Krishnagiri and will be on your way to Vellore. There will be more peace of mind.

The road to Tirupati isn't very good for high speeds. It is a single carriageway and there's a lot of oncoming traffic. For South Bangalore, stick to Vellore road is my suggestion. Both my wife and I swore that we won't go on State highways or National highways other than GQ anymore, unless absolutely necessary.
Old 19th November 2015, 10:08   #214
BHPian

People, recent rains and flood situation have ruined most of the roads in Southern AP and Northern-TN. Bangalore-Tirupati/Renigunta-Nellore-Vijayawada seems tricky on the NH from available reports. Bangalore-Hyderabad-Vijayawada-Vizag seems better despite the additional distance, and will save time too. Im due to travel on this route in the next 48hrs. Shall update first-hand by 23rd Nov.
Old 19th November 2015, 11:58   #215
BHPian

There were severe damages to NH5 around Nellore, refer to this post.
Old 29th November 2015, 20:15   #216

Friends,
I recently completed Bangalore-Kolkata-Bangalore on car.

There are already a lot of information available about the route in various teamBHP threads (and the wonderful travelogues help a lot in my trip planning), I don’t intend to repeat. My intention is to share a few things that we learned through experience, including a few things that didn’t work, with the hope that others would find them useful.

Route:
• My initial plans were to explore the Hyderabad-Nagpur-Raipur-Sambalpur route in the forward journey, and return by the GQ (Bhubaneswar-Vizag-Vijaywada), but after some research and some sound advice from friends, figured out it is safer and better to take GQ both ways, at least for the first such trip.
• From Bangalore, all the way to Kolkata, roads are excellent (well, I am talking about Oct 2015 - one month before incessant rains wiped out part of the stretch around Nellore - hopefully authorities will restore soon), almost 80% being 4-lane and 6-lane, very well maintained national highways. In particular, the roads within West Bengal and Orissa were a pleasure to drive. And about 100km around Vijaywada city – that was probably the best road I have come across in my lifetime.
• A few caveats: after Mulbagal, the road (NH4) becomes two-lane, and from this point, through Palmaner & Chittoor till about 10km before Tirupati, road condition as well as traffic makes it difficult to drive. Tirupati to Naidupeta stretch is a mix of good and not-so-good two lane roads. While returning, we had to cover some this part during the evening with heavy traffic (people returning to Bangalore after a long vacation), and driving was anything but pleasure. I have a good mind to go via Chennai (adds an additional 200km, but probably would take about the same time and fuel expenses, at much less of a hassle) next time I need to return along this route.
• Also the stretch between Vijaywada and Vizag – road extension and maintenance work was going on, way too many diversions meant average speed came down to 70-75 even though one could easily crank up to 100-110 on rest of the portions. Nothing can be done, but one has to account for the time lost.
• Finally, NH5 doesn’t bypass Vizag, and goes right through the city. While going, we went through the city, and while returning, we took the SH38 to bypass (from Anandapuram to Anekapalle). Either case, we spent a lot of time crossing the city – either due to city traffic, or poor road condition of SH38. Again, nothing can be done, but factor in about an hour or so for this portion.
• In many stretches, both Airtel and Vodafone 2G/3G data coverage was poor, and google maps didn’t help there. Thankfully, we had our makemytrip navigator to fall back to. Honestly, you don’t need maps, road signage and occasional advice from the passer-bys and fuel station attendants should suffice. The navigator’s real utility is as a score board – to show how you are tracking your target of the day.

Prep-work:
• Whether one should carry coolant, engine oil, etc, that depends a lot on your car and car conditions. Best is to talk to technicians before stocking up. My technicians (both authorized service center, and the street smart know-it-all garage owner of the locality) advised me against carrying all these, but suggested that I check the levels once every day. That worked out very well for me.
• One sound advice I received was to go for nitrogen filling – rationale being on long drive, this reduces overheating the tire. Having sun shades for the windows helped keeping the co-passengers comfortable, which in turn kept the driver keep cool.
• Planning stopovers: it is possible to do it in two days (one stopover, somewhere around Vizag), but I felt that would require a fairly aggressive planning and awesome execution. My suggestions would be – Rajahmundry & Bhubaneswar (or Puri) in forward direction, and Srikakulam (or Vizag) and Ongole (or Nellore) in the return leg. It is better to try and cover longer distances in day one, and successively reduce your targets, as you are likely to get tired over time.

That's all, folks!

-- Abhirup
Abhirup is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 12:05   #217
BHPian

Reviving an old thread, just an idea at the moment and thinking of executing it in couple of weeks time

Bangalore - Kolkata on the week prior to Diwali and return post Diwali. Have never ever done a drive on these highways

Solo driver in a WagonR, i don't have time/day restrictions. Current thought (totally open to suggestions)

Day 1 - Bangalore - Visakhapatnam

Day 2 - Visakhapatnam - Bhubaneshwar

Day 3 - Bhubaneshwar - North Kolkata

Need to know

• Road conditions (plan to take the GQ)
  • Pit Stops suggestions for breakfast / lunch
  • Highway Hotels for night stay
  • Any worthy sight seeing stoppage since i don't have time restrictions
  • Approximate toll charges
  • Any other related points/suggestions
Old 1st December 2016, 16:52   #218
BHPian

Hi KD.. Did you make this trip .. plz share feedback if any. Planning GQ in Dec. Any inputs appreciated
Old 2nd December 2016, 13:06   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakdsz View Post
Hi KD.. Did you make this trip .. plz share feedback if any. Planning GQ in Dec. Any inputs appreciated
Updates on the following thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ueries-33.html

For further details, we can talk or you can ask specific queries.
KD007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 17:55   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakdsz View Post
My wife and I are planning to drive Bangalore-Bokaro-Bangalore starting Dec 21st. If your trip is around the same time, maybe we could drive together, at least on your onward leg?

This is the first time I am doing this drive too, and it would be nice to have some company.

Cheers
Old 5th December 2016, 13:28   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
My wife and I are planning to drive Bangalore-Bokaro-Bangalore starting Dec 21st. If your trip is around the same time, maybe we could drive together, at least on your onward leg?

This is the first time I am doing this drive too, and it would be nice to have some company.

Cheers
Hi Tilt, Thanks.. slight mismatch on dates. We plan start on 24th, cannot advance the start. Good luck
deepakdsz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 17:05   #222
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Is anyone driving down from kolkata to bangalore in a week or so? Need a small help, a bit urgent. Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 12:47   #223
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Driving Bangalore- kolkatta- Indore - Bangalore

Hi BHPians,

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kolkatta, and than to Indore and Back to Bangalore.Tentatively during 3 rd and 4th week of Dece 17. My wife will be accompanying me and she wont drive. Both of us are spirited senior citizens but that doesn't matter. I have the option of taking my BMW 530D M sport or VOLVO XC 60. Both are in excellent condition done only 21k in odometer. I appreciate suggestions, route guidance and whatever might help me in travelling safe by the forum members. Please help me.
sumukha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 15:33   #224
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving Bangalore- kolkatta- Indore - Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post
Hi BHPians,

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kolkatta, and than to Indore and Back to Bangalore.Tentatively during 3 rd and 4th week of Dece 17. My wife will be accompanying me and she wont drive. Both of us are spirited senior citizens but that doesn't matter. I have the option of taking my BMW 530D M sport or VOLVO XC 60. Both are in excellent condition done only 21k in odometer. I appreciate suggestions, route guidance and whatever might help me in travelling safe by the forum members. Please help me.
Did you do this drive? if yes, please update. Thanks.
Old 16th January 2018, 11:42   #225
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Driving Bangalore- kolkatta- Indore - Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Did you do this drive? if yes, please update. Thanks.
Sorry for replying late. I only did bangalore Indore and back and skipped Kolkatta Part. But planning to do this in March. Did the Indore leg in my BMW 530 D.
sumukha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks