Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:21   #76

Srini, i thought if you were to divide this journey into 3 phases of about 700 kms each, then the first phase would be Bangalore - Rajamundry, Rajamundry - Bhubaneshwar, and Bhubaneshwar - Kolkata. Please advise.
Old 14th May 2008, 12:00   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceVentura View Post
Srini, i thought if you were to divide this journey into 3 phases of about 700 kms each, then the first phase would be Bangalore - Rajamundry, Rajamundry - Bhubaneshwar, and Bhubaneshwar - Kolkata. Please advise.
AceVentura, We did have a nice chat on this when I was in kolkata. Hopefully your plan is freezed. Good Luck on your journey.
Dont worry, You will do it much faster in GQ than what you are expecting.

Abhi
Old 16th May 2008, 09:36   #78

Hi Abhi...Read through your travelogue of 2006 now...must say a delightful and well written report ! Great effort for the benefit of all.
Well done Sir !
Old 16th May 2008, 12:54   #79
BHPian

Wonderful writeup and what a trip. 800 Km in one day is awesome.
Old 6th August 2008, 12:33   #80

Heelo Team,
I would request to know the condition of the roads, at this time of the year.
I have request for the following info. : -

1) Whether it is advisable to travel now - monsoon , post-monsoon days ?

2) How's the road situation ? Between the different Major/minor places ?

3) Whether it is advisable to travel during day ( 6 AM to 8 PM max. ) or night
driving is possible on specific stretches and safe, as well ?

4) Above all - From Bangalore to Vishakhapatnam ( Vizag ) - what may be
a better route / way -

A) Bangalore - Tirupati- Nellore-Vizag , OR

B) Bangalore - Hyderabad - Vizag

( Since place of stay may be readily available ( relatives ) so could stay overnight
at Hyderabad rather than having to take a hotel at Nellore , etc.

5) Road segments are better in which route ?
And, in case of any problem / breakdown which route offers better respite in
terms major / minor towns or facilities nearby - with facilities like hotel/lodge,
mechanics, etc. ?

6) I need to travel to TataNagar ( Jamshedpur ) or beyond.
Any of you who is a good driver as
well & is planning a ride anytime during this month, from Bangalore ?

I plan to hire a driver but have not come across a reliable \ OK-type one, till date,
A seasoned driver - who knows the route well and can be helpful in any
emergency situation.
One who can backup as an alternate driver when I feel tired of driving.
Most of the driving shall be done by me, perhaps.

In this regards I may consider people who plan to travel on the same
route, viz.
Bangalore-Vizag-Baripada- Then ( perhaps Bhubaneshwar or
Jamshedpur )

In case anyone in Team-BHP forum member is available / knows any reasonable /
known / trustworthy people or driver ( one or two people at max. ) to give me
company. As I do not want to be driving all the way all alone.
( for safety reasons & maybe as - a backup driver. Since I plan to be traveling
alone + ( perhaps another 1 or 2 people + a driver ) ).

Since I plan to travel alone; In case I get reliable people, I wanted to see
the possibility of eliminating the need to hire a driver.

I plan to undertake the journey, perhaps, anytime later this month.

7) Feedback regarding safe unsafe road segments would be really welcome.

8) How soon this journey ( in terms of hours / no. of days ) may be covered ? based
on different choices.

9) Any helpful suggestions in regards would be welcome.

Thanks,
Ram
Ram Pratap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2008, 13:19   #81
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Check for the road conditions after vizag especially in orissa and bihar and WB due to recent rains. many howrah bound trains are either being canceled or rerouted since june 2008 onwards

bangalore- tirupati-vizag is better than bangalore-hyd-vizag.

second route is longer and road conditions not as good as first one.

Bangalore-vizag is possible in 5 AM to 10 PM.

You have plenty of towns in this route. only thing is you have take 3-4 KM detour from GQ (NH5).
this is one of densely populated areas of AP.

Nellore- ongloe- guntur - viziawada -elur- rajamundry are good places where you can get reasonably good accomodation if you plan to stay
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2008, 14:34   #82
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your write-up. First of all it was really interesting reading it and secondly it also helped me a lot in planning my trip. I've planned to drive this week from Bangalore to Ranchi through the same route till Baleshwar.
Old 12th August 2008, 16:10   #83
Senior - BHPian

Rampratap and Arunksaral
The roads in Orissa and AP are seriously affected by the recent floods. Make enquiries about road conditions before venturing out. The best source for latest road condition information are the truckers. HVKumar is also extremely dependable.
@Rampratap - Baripada is beyond Balasore when you are going from Vizag side. The road from Balasore to Baripada goes through the edges of Simlipal.
Enjoy the drive. Not the jams.
Sudipto
Old 27th August 2008, 19:36   #84
BHPian

I've completed my road trip from Bangalore to Ranchi. The trip was a real adventure including the drive on the Orissa roads.

Everything was fine during the trip. Will be posting a small write-up, few photos and video links on the road conditions soon.

Thanks to all for the feedback and support. If anybody is in need of urgent information on the route mentioned below, can mail me at my email id: arunksaral@gmail.com

Route:
NH4: Bangalore - Kolar - Chittoor
NH18: Chittoor - Puralapattu
State Highway: Puralapattu - Chanragiri - Renigunta - Nayudupet
NH5: Nayudupet - Nellore - Ongole - Guntur - Vijayawada - Rajahmundry - Vishakhapatnam - Chhatrapur - Bhubaneshwar - Baleshwar - Baripada - Jharakporiya
NH6: Jharakporiya - Bharagora
NH33: Bharagora - Jhamshedpur - Ranchi

Total Distance(one way): 2050kms
Old 27th August 2008, 20:40   #85
Senior - BHPian

Hats off boss. My heartfelt congratulations. This trip should rank as one of the toughest I think. I am reminded of the Adidas slogan - Impossible is nothing. Keep it up. Will wait for your report. Congrats again.
Old 28th August 2008, 09:02   #86
Senior - BHPian

Thats great Arun!! Hearty congratulations to you !!
Afterall you have negotiated Orissa at this time when even the train is taking the detour. Eager to see a travelogue and some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunksaral View Post
State Highway: Puralapattu - Chanragiri - Renigunta - Nayudupet
This is SH61. Chandragiri to renigunta bypassing Tirupati. Excellent !!
So that means the bypass of Tirupati is complete now. Last time when I went to was under construction and we had to take the road via Tirupati.

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 28th August 2008 at 09:05.
Old 28th August 2008, 09:57   #87
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
This is SH61. Chandragiri to renigunta bypassing Tirupati. Excellent !!
So that means the bypass of Tirupati is complete now. Last time when I went to was under construction and we had to take the road via Tirupati.

Abhi
Abhi

Tirupati bypass is complete long back. more than two years are over

Mr Arun

It is Putalapattu not puralpattu
Old 30th August 2008, 12:21   #88
BHPian

I did Bangalore-Kakinada-Bangalore between Aug 17-21. As usual, I reached the destinations on both to and fro directions on the same day.

I found that there is 4-laning work being done on Hoskote-Kolar stretches. reminded me of the GQ work years back. but this isnt that bad yet.

There was a broken culvert somewhere near to the Palamaner ghat section, and a lone traffic cop wasnt sufficient to control the traffic which has to be made one-way for a few meters off-road ! Compare that to the GQ where similar work for ganga-cauveri or some other river project had to cut the GQ and the authorities have done a cool 2 lane for the few meters of diversion

How many extra kms is to do NH-4 to chennai and then switch to NH-5 without touching chennai ?

One another development is the close down of Reliance bunks, meaning lesser cleaner toilets [for the lady folks :((((- ]
crkishore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2008, 12:31   #89
BHPian

I did Bangalore-Kakinada-Bangalore between Aug 17-21. As usual, I reached the destinations on both to and fro directions on the same day.

I found that there is 4-laning work being done on Hoskote-Kolar stretches. reminded me of the GQ work years back. but this isnt that bad yet.

There was a broken culvert somewhere near to the Palamaner ghat section, and a lone traffic cop wasnt sufficient to control the traffic which has to be made one-way for a few meters off-road ! Compare that to the GQ where similar work for ganga-cauveri or some other river project had to cut the GQ and the authorities have done a cool 2 lane for the few meters of diversion

How many extra kms is to do NH-4 to chennai and then switch to NH-5 without touching chennai ?

One another development is the close down of Reliance bunks, meaning lesser cleaner toilets [for the lady folks :((((- ]
Old 13th January 2009, 04:07   #90
BHPian

Planning to do Bangalore - Kolkata (one way) in the last week of Jan

I am planning to do what you did, but only one way. I am moving from Bangalore to Kolkata and the idea of driving down is steadily getting stronger in my mind.

I am planning for three full days: Bangalore - Kakinada/Vijaywada (have a relative in Kakinada), Kakinada - Bhubaneswar/Puri and then to Kolkata on the third day.

This will be with my 10 months old Getz prime GLX 1.3 (6700km). If I finally do this, I will surely do my third service (although two months before time) and buy some extra precautionary stuff like you did.

Seems like the road has improved overall by now, and although my driving experience is only as much as the age of my car (10 months), I feel pretty confident about it. The longest drive I had in a day so far was 480km (Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebid - Belur - Bangalore) during which I had no problems.

The whole thread already provides me a lot of tips. Anything else that any of you want to tell me?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks