Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2016, 00:48   #1
BHPian

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley

15th August 2016, Morning – I was driving through the roads shaded with pine trees but suddenly on the left turn all of us became stunt seeing 360-degree view of cloud clad mountains and glittering sky. Where am I? For a few moments it felt like heaven and the peace transcend the deafening sound of our city. Probably I do not have enough words to express the beauty. My dash-cam was switched off and it took me time to react and switch it on. I was literally stunned for seconds but then started moving ahead after switching on the dash-cam. The following video will show you the picturesque beauty of the place and the way to drive.

HD View Requested

To be continued...
PointZero is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 01:01   #2
BHPian

re: Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley

Day 0 and Day 1 (Kolkata - > Siliguri -> Kalimpong -> Rishop):

Like other days all four (Me, My Wife and 2 Friends) after a regular day of office work set out for an unplanned drive to North Bengal. Most of the wanderer who has visited Himalayas once is hooked to the Himalayas and tend to allure towards it again and again. Without having any doubt in my mind of which route to choose, we moved towards Siliguri Via NH-34. No description of any road details as there are already a numbers of travelogue in the forum in between about this road details.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-2016_0815_210142_001.jpg
Starting of the journey

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-2016_0812_070616_010.jpg
Next Morning - Somewhere at NH34

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-2016_0812_105043_001.jpg
Botolbari Road

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-2016_0815_133051_004.jpg
Botolbari Road

On the way to Rishop, his eyes were wide open and why not, who can dare to miss those lovely cloudy roads, those green high rising trees and captivating valleys.

On the way to Rishop some shooting stones fell on edge of the roof of my car. We were lucky that the size of stone did not do much damage to my car. After crossing the shooting stone area, we took a long break near Algarah. It was already afternoon and I was worrying about the road condition of last few KM stretch towards Rishop.

Way to Rishop

Previously Rishop trip was on a bike in the month of December 2012. Kanchenjunga was shimmering like silver in the moonlight as a background placed on a screen in old movie song. Having bonfire in such weather at such a place has no words to say. This time we missed our old days.

Some snaps from last bike trip to Rishop..

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03645.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-dsc04927.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-dsc04928.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-dsc04989.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set0316.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set0385.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set0399.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03114.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03155.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03166.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03173.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03207.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03226.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03278.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03282.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03329.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03352.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03368.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03376.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03469.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03482.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03515.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03578.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-set03633.jpg

Some snaps from last bike trip to Rishop..

To be continued ...

Last edited by PointZero : 11th December 2016 at 01:09. Reason: adding more pic
Old 11th December 2016, 12:29   #3
BHPian

Day 2 (Rishop - > Lava -> Lolegaon via Relli River):

From the hotel room the clouds in the blue sky seemed to scintillate. You will feel that you are on the top of the world and everything has just bowed down to welcome you. In the morning standing at the edge of the garden it felt like conquering the mountains and I could see my kingdom at my feet. While having some tea siting on the boundary side of the hotel my friends suggested me to stay here for another 1 or two days and nothing can be more beautiful than this. To me it was not very surprising as I stayed in the same hotel before and last night when I saw that the sky was clear I was expecting something like this.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0441.jpg
Early morning at Rishop

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0410.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0416.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0418.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0419.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0430.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0436.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0449.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0458.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0472.jpg
Some random pictures from our stay at Rishop.
PointZero is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 12:46   #4
BHPian

Day 2 continued ...

At breakfast, the discussion for the next point begun. It was better to think for it on the move without wasting time sitting in the hotel. We thought of revisiting the Lava monastery first and after completing breakfast there, we would decide on the place.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0489.jpg
Returning from Rishop

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0507.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0508.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0514.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0517.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0520.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0523.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0533.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0536.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0540.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0542.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0558.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	TKD_0542.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1,014.9 KB
ID:	1583982

Click image for larger version

Name:	TKD_0558.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	1583983
Some Random Snaps of Lava Monastery

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0563.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0566.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0577.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0579.jpg
Students are practicing for 15th Aug

In this area the name Lava is always associated with Lolegaon like some kind of "cha ta (tea etc..)". We asked a man for the way to Lolegaon but to our dismay the road was closed. In adherence to the current situation the destination changed to Tinculey.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0590.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0595.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0596.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0604.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0609.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0617.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0623.jpg
Some random snaps from Lava towards Kalimpong..

To be continued ...
Old 11th December 2016, 12:57   #5
BHPian

Day 2 continued ...

Again just beyond Kalimpong, a sign board directed towards Lolegaon. Don’t mind the state of confusion but yes the destination was again set back to Lolegaon. The wear and tear of the roads with regular usage was visible. The sharp bends on such roads was difficult and my car waddled to and fro. At a distance I was pondering, am I on the right path? If I have to ted this path back will I be able to turn my car and drive uphill on those crooked roads? At turning point, a small shop owner said the morning milk van has come from this path only. Hah! This at least gave a boost to work harder on the clutch, gear and the break.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0628.jpg
Relli River

Across the Relli River, the road was deserted and we did not find a single vehicle crossing us. Then roads from Relli river to Lolegaon was not so pathetic like the previous stretch. But then if there is no loop returning from lolegaon via Relli River to Dello would unnecessarily delay as well as shake all our bones. As I could not see any vehicle passing, I was in doubt whether we will able to get any hotel or not.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0633.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0640.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0644.jpg
Entering Lolegaon.

Rishop to Lolegaon​

After reaching Lolegaon my doubt turned to reality. As that was off season for tourist and the roads from lava to Lolegaon was blocked due to land slide there was no tourist that time. Most of the hotels were covered with large plastics for maintenance and upgrading for upcoming puja season. It was tough to get a budget hotel there but somehow we managed a newly built hotel with two big size rooms under one condition that they will not provide any food. For the time being they served us only noodles.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0645.jpg
Surprised, Seeing people in their lonely days.

In the local there was an old bridge within the jungle which was full of leaches. But then who cares, we walked around a km and only then the bridge was visible. The roads leading to the bridge was wet and sloppy. I went closer to capture some snaps alas! When I turned to look at my shoes OMG, it was full of leaches. I ran to my others standing at a distance and even they were attacked by those tiny devils. By good fortune, we escaped without being harmed.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0650.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0664.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0668.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0672.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0677.jpg
Some Random Snaps at Lolegaon

The road blocks and off-season time restricted the availability of the daily essentials in that place. Most of the shops were closed and even it was heard to get egg or chicken. A local shopkeeper agreed to serve us local chicken and egg for our dinner and next day breakfast. Before this we even drove through the forest up-to a nearby boarding school hostel in search of chicken.

In the evening it was time to gaze at the moon and the city resting in the lap of the hill. The tiny lights of the city looked like thousands of candle floating in the sea of darkness. With a glass in the hand and local chicken, sunset felt like some magic moment. At 6 in the evening, the place gave a feel of midnight with no sound, no light, and no man around. It was pin drop silence near the Police Phari. The gentle man (Who suggested arranging some local chicken) came to us and served nicely cooked food under the sky. I tried to capture some of moment but as I did not have any tripod or remote from my camera the picture may disappointed you.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0683.jpg
Night View from Lolegaon

To be continued ...
Old 11th December 2016, 13:08   #6
BHPian

Day 3 (Lolegaon - > Bagrakot -> Teesta -> Tinchuley)

In the morning the first thing that came to my mind was to discover an alternate route for returning. Talking to some local people I come to know that there is an alternate route to reach Siliguri via Bagrakot. For that we have to take an 8-10 KM forest fire-path kind of a road full of stone and after that I will get a tar road. Though I do not have THAR but even for my Bolero I would say “Bolero does not require Tar”. That gentleman even suggested us to keep all the glasses closed as there might be some wild animals. I tried to search the road in GPS but there was no sign of this route at all. Finally, the real adventure of the trip started then. We drove through the dense forest for 8-10 KM which took around 1 hour and 15 min, and finally hit the tar road towards Bagrakot.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-2016_0814_091835_002.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0690.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0693.jpg
Unknown Forest Road

Unknown Forest Road from Lolegaon to Bagrakot​

Sorry to say but we did not find any animal on our way. I have never been to this side of the hills before. The view from opposite side was really amazing and green mountains were looking like giant green tents. After few KM of tar road suddenly found that the complete road is damaged because of land slide. Even on the way some people were waiting there for lifts. I stopped for a while and asked about the condition. They assured us that though the road is destroyed but they have made a temporary road this morning, and Bolero can go through that. Same time we also came to know that the road was blocked for last three days and we were lucky that the temporary road was done this morning only. Humidity was high here and at places the forest was so dense that the sunlight could not percolate.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0714.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0740.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0757.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0762.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0775.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0779.jpg
Unknown Place towards Bagrakot

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0788.jpg
Finally got a mile post for Bagrakot. 11.442KM .. So accurate

To be continued ...
PointZero is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 13:16   #7
BHPian

Day 3 continued ...

After Bagrakot we drove though highway and then took left from Teesta Bazar for Tinchuley. There is an alternate road for Tinchuley which connect Peshok Road and need to take a left connector just few KM before of Lamahata connector. But as I have traveled through Peshok road many times I choose the left road from Teesta Bazar.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-2016_0813_142228_005.jpg
Entering Tinchuley

Believe me this place is the most romantic place I have ever been to. The mist clouds covered the place to hide the lovers from the world. The oldest hotel in the locality was full but the location of that hotel was strategic. I thought after getting a hotel at Tinchely I would park the car and walk along the roads into the clouds. You can also rent mountain bikes (cycle) for more thrills. In one hotel the owner took us to this sister’s hotel were rooms were available. The hotel was downhill but the place was good.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0813.jpg
Reached Hotel

Lolegaon to Tinchuley via Bagrakt

There was a very old monastery towards Thakdah were we witnessed the evening prayer. From the Monastery I again drove uphill to transverse through the roads which tantalized me then. On the way it started drizzling and very soon it began to pour heavily and I could not get out. At the four points crossing having tea and pakoras made up the wait time. At last we spent the evening at forest side of the hotel with the owner who described his plans of expanding tourism in that area.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0819.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0823.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0825.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0826.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0828.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-img20160817wa051.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-img20160817wa052.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-img20160817wa054.jpg
Tinchuley Monastery.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-2016_0814_171319_002.jpg
Having some tea and Pakora inside car during heavy rain

To be continued ...
Old 11th December 2016, 13:22   #8
BHPian

Day 4 (Tinchuley -> Lamahataa -> Kolkata):

The hotel owner was very humble and before we woke up he arranged everything for us because last night he had heard that we will be driving to Kolkata from Tinchuley. Now the memorable turn happened …the discovery of this trip. As I have stated in the beginning as far as I could see all over the place was tea garden. The playboy clouds hopped in the blue carefree. The turns were demarked with small create viewpoints to glace at the peaks. The continuous valleys stood hand in hand dancing at the rhythm of the wind. The roads within the tea garden camouflaged like a wondering snake. The negative edge roads seemed to merge with the valley and die off.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-2016_0815_093209_007.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-2016_0815_093247_009.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-2016_0815_093542_022.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0847.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0889.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0896.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0903.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0926.jpg

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0928.jpg

Another Small Clip of Tinchuley(HD View Requested)

Drive through the Pine Fores .. Way to Lamahatta

From Tinchuley we drove for few KM towards Lamahata and then drove back to Sevok and then reached Kolkata at night.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0934.jpg
Somewhere at SH7 while returning from Siliguri.

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-tkd_0582.jpg
Thanks,
Point Zero
Old 12th December 2016, 11:54   #9
BHPian

Route Maps-

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-day_01.jpg
Day 01

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-day_02.jpg
Day 02

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-day_03.jpg
Day 03

Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley-day_04.jpg
Day 04
Old 12th December 2016, 15:27   #10
BHPian

Re: Monsoon drive to the art gallery of nature - Rishop, Loleygaon & Tinchuley

Lovely write up there, I felt as if I was doing the route again. Some great images and the first video grab is just too good. Most of my videos and images came out foggy (October 2016) , given the post monsoon situation in that belt.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks