Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2017, 14:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Chasing the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis): Nature's spectacular show

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The first clear memory I have of the magnanimity of the Aurora Borealis is a video uploaded by one of the astronauts onboard the International Space Station...
My memory of first reference to Northern Lights isn't anything that dramatic. I came to know of it watching the animated move 'Brother Bear' with by daughter. I have a promise with her to take her to watch the northern lights.

At the risk of sounding presumptuous; Would it be possible for you to share the approximate cost of the tour, hotel accommodation cost etc?
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:05   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
My memory of first reference to Northern Lights isn't anything that dramatic. I came to know of it watching the animated move 'Brother Bear' with by daughter. I have a promise with her to take her to watch the northern lights.

At the risk of sounding presumptuous; Would it be possible for you to share the approximate cost of the tour, hotel accommodation cost etc?
Here you go.

Quote:
The flights ex-Zurich: 450 CHF (~30 INR) / person
We chose the quickest travel time (7 hrs), you can have a longer duration (24 hrs) at 1/3rd the price

The hotel: 600 CHF ( 40k INR) / 3 nights, including breakfast
This was Radisson Blu, right at the city center. You can probably find options at say 70% this proce

The chases: 400 CHF ( 25k INR) / person / 2nights on minibus
We chose what we feel are one of the best in the business, and the more expensive minibus. You can do these chases at half the price, although similarly cutting down your chances

Food: 100 CHF (7k INR) / person / day
As is in Europe, food is generally expensive in Tromso

On top of this, you'll buy souvenirs that'll set you back by at least 50k INR.

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
Whoa! That is some really awesome bits that you got of the aurora.

We'd gone up to Alta (more north than Tromso) in Jan 2016 for the Aurora. Got a decent sighting on day one and the weather messed it up the two nights after that.
True; the weather is unimaginably unpredictable. As you can see in most of the pictures, we had a very cloudy sky. It was here that being with a very enthusiastic team helped. They just wouldn't give up trying to find a patch of clear sky.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 16:49   #18
BHPian

This is long in my bucket list, thanks so much for sharing your experience and photographs. With all the material stuff around us, we humans still find natural phenomenon most attractive!
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 08:42   #19
BHPian

Truly awesome snaps! and I am sure you've had an experience of a lifetime.
Money well spent, no amount of money can replace experiences such as this.
There is something calm, ethereal and otherworldly in the pictures you have shared.
I never visited scandinavia, when I was not very far from there, in the UK. I regret that now.
But, Hey, theres always another time.
Thanks for the share.
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 13:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
The first clear memory I have of the magnanimity of the Aurora Borealis is a video uploaded by one of the astronauts onboard the International Space Station. And I thought, hmm, ain’t that a view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Wow, this is something that I want to strike off my bucket list in a year or two. If possible, can you provide the split of the spend? Also, was there a fixed price for the tour that you had to split up among the people who had registered for that day or there is a fixed price per person?
I'm in Europe in mid-November for some meetings. I have 4-5 days for leisure post that, so I'm planning to finally check this off the list. Would you recommend doing this in the last week of November? I'm getting pretty good deals on flights from Hamburg to Tromso (10k one way, return to Mumbai will be billed to the company). I'm doing this solo, so I might pay more and stay in a hostel for the vibe, even though I'm getting Airbnbs and a few hotels at a similar/lower price. Should 2 days of chasing the Northern Lights be a safe bet? BTW, which month did you go in?

Last edited by prateekm : 19th October 2018 at 13:25.
Old 19th October 2018, 13:59   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Would you recommend doing this in the last week of November?
Yes, actually. Early-Nov to Mid-Dec and early-Jan to mid-Feb are generally good since winter is in full effect and there is relatively less cloud cover/snow.

Quote:
BTW, which month did you go in?
We went third week of Dec; of the two nights that we were out (6pm-3pm), we had a clear sky for about 30min cumulative! It was cloudy and snowing the other time. And yet, we saw stunning activity during this small time.

However, do note there's no guarantee. You can see a lot of activity on a cloudy/snowy night and none with a clear sky.

Quote:
Should 2 days of chasing the Northern Lights be a safe bet?
Yes; two nights is good. Who you go with plays a huge factor though. The group we went with, Chasing Lights, came highly recommended and their enthusiasm is just terrific. Their arrangements are meticulous (safety, food and comfort) and the drivers/guides are just wonderful company. When it's cold and dark and you're chasing something that isn't a guarantee, you need a group with infectious energy and these guys are it.

If you're interested, do sign up for a whale safari on the fjords during the day. It'll be hectic and cold but I regret not doing it.

I'd recommend dropping them an email asking about availability and then book your flights/stay. They respond only on email and fill up fast.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 15:53   #22
BHPian

That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

You won't believe this, but we delayed our family planning in order to try and accommodate just such a trip to Alaska. For one reason or another, in spite of good planning and seemingly good preparation, the timing always seemed wrong and had to cancel on it. Will have to wait and see now.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:41   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Will have to wait and see now.
Haha, I can imagine the eagerness. If you're planning a trip from India, I'd strongly recommend visiting the Nordic countries. The viewing season starts in a month or so, you can start planning!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks