Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2017, 23:08   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Andaman Islands – Simply Irresistible

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I visited A&N islands from 15th April to 22nd April. It was an awesome outing for me and my family members.

Please note that weather plays very important role when you are there. Any rains and the entire plan goes awry.

I think June is not the right time to visit A&N islands - except if you plan to stay in only one place and enjoy rains - which I think most people will not do.
I echo your thoughts. I ventured there way back in January 1996, when flights were few: there was only Indian Airlines and East West Airlines. I was there for 6 full days, and a visit to Havelock was on my plan. But as luck would have it, owing to weather, the boat was cancelled. I could have tried the next day, but that was cutting it too fine. If the return boat was cancelled, I'd have to miss my flight.

I heard from a reliable local contact that people were stranded for 2 weeks in Port Blair in such circumstances, owing to dearth of flights. So I simply didn't take the risk. Instead, I borrowed a Kinetic Honda from a Naval Doctor from my hometown, and painted the town red. I know Port Blair like the back of my hand owing to that.

Among the exciting things I did in those two days was a drive to Chidiayatapu, and watching a flight take off right over my head on the road that runs perpendicular to the runway, and a visit to the ship Nancowrie at the harbour.

After reading this TL, I wanna go back once more.
Old 14th May 2017, 23:56   #47
BHPian

Wow Vijay, u did put in some time and effort to educate me. That's wealth of information. Using inputs from what you have wrote i started searching and did some more research. There was soo much information and was very distracting as each page had a link/ advertisement that looked even more tempting. I was getting nowhere. So, me being a Data Scientist , resorted to Excel to put things in order ( I get confused easily ). I have attached the same. I have initially thought of a hippy style trip, but then again, how many times would i get to visit/go on such an elaborate trip to such a gorgeous place. So haven't cheaped out and have selected some decent reasonable stays, whose details are in attached excel.

@Alto - I will keep in mind your valuable inputs. By God's grace both of us are in sound health and i have been swimming in olympic size pools since i was 16 . Add in any such precautionary/ must know things that i wouldn't normally know (came across somewhere that photo copies of ID's are must at certain places).

https://trip.experienceandamans.com/all-ferry.html - been following this site for all ferry related details.

Kindly go through the excel and let me know/ suggest any changes or additional activities that can be included. I initially thought of trekking to Saddle Peak, but don't want to waste so much time in travel as this is a laid back trip.

I have not finished the planning as of now (Haven't put the ferry timings in the excel, but have planned the stays according to the timings). Have to look for places post the return to Port Blair (before we return to Hyderabad).

I will keep updating the thread with any new info that i get. I have emailed both the resorts (Neil and Havelock) for final tariffs and am awaiting their replies. Thanks a ton guys !!!
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx 14-5-2017 Planning 1.xlsx (10.9 KB, 352 views)

Last edited by Rohit_Quad : 15th May 2017 at 00:05. Reason: :)
Rohit_Quad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 12:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
Wow Vijay, u did put in some time and effort to educate me. That's wealth of information. Using inputs from what you have wrote i started searching and did some more research. There was soo much information and was very distracting as each page had a link/ advertisement that looked even more tempting. I was getting nowhere. So, me being a Data Scientist , resorted to Excel to put things in order ( I get confused easily ). I have attached the same. I have initially thought of a hippy style trip, but then again, how many times would i get to visit/go on such an elaborate trip to such a gorgeous place. So haven't cheaped out and have selected some decent reasonable stays, whose details are in attached excel.

@Alto - I will keep in mind your valuable inputs. By God's grace both of us are in sound health and i have been swimming in olympic size pools since i was 16 . Add in any such precautionary/ must know things that i wouldn't normally know (came across somewhere that photo copies of ID's are must at certain places).

https://trip.experienceandamans.com/all-ferry.html - been following this site for all ferry related details.

Kindly go through the excel and let me know/ suggest any changes or additional activities that can be included. I initially thought of trekking to Saddle Peak, but don't want to waste so much time in travel as this is a laid back trip.

I have not finished the planning as of now (Haven't put the ferry timings in the excel, but have planned the stays according to the timings). Have to look for places post the return to Port Blair (before we return to Hyderabad).

I will keep updating the thread with any new info that i get. I have emailed both the resorts (Neil and Havelock) for final tariffs and am awaiting their replies. Thanks a ton guys !!!
Wow Rohit that seems to be a nice chilled out plan.The summer sands in Neil is not too great a place(typical hotel you would find anywhere in the country).You could try a few other options.Don't forget to dine at the 4 elephants and a wise man dine out and try the delicious home made ice creams.

The wild orchid in Havelock is a great place and rated No 1 restaurant.Fat Martin nearby is a great place to dine.

Both places hire a bike or cycles in Neil.Try to explore going to Long island which is pretty close by and un explored by probably cutting a day from Neil.

Haven't been to wandoor/Jelly bouy.That and chidiya tapu are generally on any tourists radar near Port Blair.

Rohit the emerald gecko at Neil part of the wild orchid group could be a possible stay option at Neil.

Last edited by SDP : 10th July 2017 at 16:16. Reason: Merging back to back posts
vijayols is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 10:42   #49
BHPian

Hi Guys. The trip went as per planned without a single hiccup and god, what a trip it was!!! Being 'off-season' there was barely any one around at most of the places. Bike rentals allowed us to explore every single road in Neil and Havelock, literally every single piece of tarmac we could find. Wandoor was a completely different experience. Got to experience a cyclone like weather
I owe it to all you guys for the timely information and help. Thanks !!
Old 29th June 2017, 00:00   #50
BHPian

Vijayols, very informative travelogue, my compliments.Yes Andamans is way beyond anything anyone has ever seen. I was fortunate to have been posted there for almost two years.Will definately post some pics of places where tourists rarely go.One thing which you missed and is a must see is ROSS ISLAND.The commentary by Gulzar is just too good.

Last edited by Ramanjit : 29th June 2017 at 00:07. Reason: Added the name.
Ramanjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 08:33   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys. The trip went as per planned without a single hiccup and god, what a trip it was!!! Being 'off-season' there was barely any one around at most of the places. Bike rentals allowed us to explore every single road in Neil and Havelock, literally every single piece of tarmac we could find. Wandoor was a completely different experience. Got to experience a cyclone like weather
I owe it to all you guys for the timely information and help. Thanks !!
Great that the trip went well.There is always a charm in visiting places in the off season to enjoy the place at its best.Please post some pics Rohit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramanjit View Post
Vijayols, very informative travelogue, my compliments.Yes Andamans is way beyond anything anyone has ever seen. I was fortunate to have been posted there for almost two years.Will definately post some pics of places where tourists rarely go.One thing which you missed and is a must see is ROSS ISLAND.The commentary by Gulzar is just too good.
Thanks Ramanjit.Missing the sound and light show at Ross was certainly one of our regrets.(Bad weather forced a change in plans).I am sure Gulzar sahib's commentary would have been the icing on the cake.

Would love to see more photos of this largely unexplored place in India.

Last edited by SDP : 10th July 2017 at 16:15. Reason: merging back to back posts
Old 10th July 2017, 15:14   #52
BHPian

Hi guys !! Been busy with work due to the 10 day leave that i took for the trip . My phone (HTC One X9) was solely used to click all the picks (even under water) and the total storage used came up to 28 GB of picks and videos (thanks 4K vids ). Have to sort and delete some repeats. Will post the pictures soon.
Old 24th July 2017, 16:29   #53
BHPian

Here are few of the ridiculously resized whats app quality picks
Attached Thumbnails
The Andaman Islands – Simply Irresistible-whatsapp-image-20170628-7.00.14-pm.jpeg  

The Andaman Islands – Simply Irresistible-whatsapp-image-20170628-7.00.13-pm.jpeg  

The Andaman Islands – Simply Irresistible-whatsapp-image-20170628-7.00.13-pm-1.jpeg  

The Andaman Islands – Simply Irresistible-whatsapp-image-20170628-7.00.13-pm-2.jpeg  

The Andaman Islands – Simply Irresistible-whatsapp-image-20170628-7.00.12-pm.jpeg  

The Andaman Islands – Simply Irresistible-whatsapp-image-20170628-7.00.12-pm-1.jpeg  

The Andaman Islands – Simply Irresistible-whatsapp-image-20170628-7.01.15-pm.jpeg  

The Andaman Islands – Simply Irresistible-whatsapp-image-20170628-9.37.29-pm.jpeg  

The Andaman Islands – Simply Irresistible-whatsapp-image-20170628-7.00.12-pm-2.jpeg  

Rohit_Quad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 19:39   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Here are few of the ridiculously resized whats app quality picks
Wow! really beautiful pics. The under water one, is really cool. The last snap - where is this place?. I think your trip deserves a photologue.
Old 31st July 2017, 10:15   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayols View Post
Wow! really beautiful pics. The under water one, is really cool. The last snap - where is this place?. I think your trip deserves a photologue.
Thanks Vijay. I screwed my motherboard just after i returned and have to replace it. Most of the pictures are 4mb+ hence not able to upload without resizing. But with put my pc, it is turning out to be difficult. I will definitely jot it down.

The last pic is ''The Sea Princess'', Wandoor. Amazing place with amazing views. Experienced pretty heavy rain and hurricane level winds there. And had a bone chilling experience watching the cloud cover taking over the nearby islands right in front of our eyes right before the gates opened over us. We actually ran for our lives into the resort watching the approaching cloud/ rain.
Rohit_Quad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 19:48   #56
BHPian

Hi @vijayols & @ Rohid_Quad, thanks for excellent information that you guys have shared here! I am taking a plunge visit Andaman during last week of December! Yes, at the peak of season, but only time we can take 7 days off

We are 4 families & hence big group with kids! Our plan is to stay at Port Blaire and visit Havelock etc. I have a question on the boat ride. It looks like it is about 2.5 hrs ride, wondering about sea/motion sickness that some of our folks might experience. Any suggestion, is the rocking bad (guess it depends on the boat), should we get into bottom decks where the rocking may be lesser than top deck?

Thanks again guys!
Old 3rd November 2017, 20:17   #57
BHPian

Gany is the 7 days plan only covering Port Blair and Havelock?

Last edited by vijayols : 3rd November 2017 at 20:25.
Old 3rd November 2017, 20:21   #58
BHPian

Gany,

Great to know about your December plans.Though expensive might be the best time to visit.Our experience with the Makruzz cruise was absolutely great and we did not experience any major sea sickness though there was only one small girl in the bottom deck, where we traveled, who threw up.

I guess you follow the simple rule of not eating any oily food or over eating before the cruise.That said the boat is very powerful and does not rock much.

Cheers.

Vijay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks