Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2017, 17:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Holiday in Tawang: All you need to know

Thanks a lot BlackPearl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Next time we will take the new road that you have suggested till Bomdilla as the road via Bhalukpong was quite bad.
Precisely the reason why I penned this thread. Lot of people who travelled to Tawang after me were apprehensive to take this route. They were apprehensive about help and mainly the ILP entry at checkposts. Just like Bhalukpong, ILP is accepted at the checkposts in this route too. I wish more people take to this road. This is far better with respect to road conditions, traffic and ease to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The time we went to Bum La, 2 WD vehicles were not able to make it till the last part. Only our Thar was able to go all the way, so I think either the condition has improved that even Punto and Swift are able to go there or it depends on the time of the year.
The final part is still a bit difficult, but easily manageable. I had too viewed a few videos before I went. In those, the 2 WD puffed and panted. Also they got stuck on a rubble patch in the last two kms to Bum La.
It looks like the stretch has been improved over time. May be it's worse during rainy seasons.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 20:13   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb thread! Just blew my mind. I will most likely follow your itinerary to the t. When is the best time to go when there is no snow or ice and the weather is fair And motorbike friendly?

Would 15 days Bangalore=Bangalore be enough?

Last edited by Red Liner : 31st January 2017 at 20:23.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 23:19   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghosh80 View Post
Thumbs up pics and travelogue, enjoyed reading it. North Eastern part of our country is a hidden treasure and I feel very happy when I see people are going there.
Thanks dghosh80. North East indeed is a hidden treasure. I wish it gets its due in near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Awesome T-Log, Mr. D with your trusted steed! Thanks for the neat summary and guiding tid-bits to plan for the similar trip. In April first week I am headed to Nameri - Dirang - Tawang - Bomdila and Kaziranga. This time flying in a steel bird but for sure making the trip soon with my Cheetah. The Tlog with all the details comes at right time. Thanks for the neat summary and loads of fantastic pictures!
Thanks abirnale for your very kind words.
The Pawan Hans helicopter service to Tawang is only on Saturdays AFAIK. I am sure you would've planned to the T. But still, I was just saying. Only weekly service means you will have too much time at Tawang before you fly out. Do go to Zemithang if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing route details and travel tips Dhanush.
Thanks procrj. Especially when it comes from a pro travelogue man like you. I have followed all your travelogues keenly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I was salivating at the prospect of reading a NE travelogue by Mr.D and you have only shared the summary with important route updates. Not fair Mr.D, Yeh dil mange more. More prose and pics please!
Yes. North East travelogue by Mr D's XUV is actually under consideration. However, when I think of the humongous effort it will take, I keep just warming my chair.
Tawang, Shillong, Jowai, Dawki, Cherrapunji, Darjeeling and the list is long. This report which was intended to be only a guide on an alternate approach to Tawang itself relegated my two useful holidays to the computer screen (It was worth the effort though). I shudder to think what I will have to go through to do justice to the complete North East trip.

I think by the time I compile the next travelogue, I will have to shift my stay to the car shed, for the lady isn't that magnanimous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Excellent travelogue....

NE still has the least explored and most beautiful places in India.
Thanks a lot. North East indeed is much unexplored. Tawang still falls amongst the better known places. The Eastern fringes of Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland and all are untouched!!!

Quote:
Could you also include the details(route taken, road conditions etc..) of your journey till Guwahati? What was your starting point?
Route taken

Vizag- Balasore- Kolkata- Asansol- Farakka- Malda- Siliguri- Rangia- Orang- Kalaktang- Bomdila- Tawang- Bum La- Sungetsar- Tawang- Dirang- Sangti- Dirang- Shillong- Jowai- Dawki- Mawlynnong- Cherrapunji- Shillong- Kaziranga- Siliguri- Darjeeling- Siliguri- Kolkata- Vizag

Total- 6000 Kms.

Road condition

Tawang stretch I have already mentioned in the thread. So, I will not go into it.
For going from Kolkata to Siliguri, there are two routes. One through Purnea and the other through Farakka- Malda. Having travelled both, I would suggest the Farakka route. It has lesser broekn roads, lesser pot holes and more scenic drive. You will get traffic snarls at Burdwan town, Farakka bridge and Malda town. Rest all is smooth sailing. There are broken road sin between. However, the broken stretches is about 10- 12 Kms in total, as against some 40-45 Kms of broken stretches in the Purnea route.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Your location shows KL/AP and you have a PY registered vehicle.
That's a story in itself. Shall tell you sometime over a cup of tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Another superb travelogue, Dhanush with set of beautiful pics.
Thank you Suhas. Very kind words. What's the next destination for the wanderlust traveller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Superb thread! Just blew my mind. I will most likely follow your itinerary to the t. When is the best time to go when there is no snow or ice and the weather is fair And motorbike friendly?

Thanks.
I am not quite sure of the distance timelines of a rider per day. So, I won't be able to tell you whether 15 days from Bangalore is sufficient or not. In my car, from Vizag, I did the whole trip in 16 days, 6000 Kms.
I covered Tawang, Shillong, Cherrapunjee, Dawki, Jowai and Kaziranga. On return, I had a day extra and I covered Darjeeling on a day trip from Siliguri. That, I hope will give you an idea.

During planning, cater for two days atleast from the foothills to reach Tawang. Stay at Bomdilla is adviced since Dirang has limited options. (Bomdilla is a bigger town than Tawang for that matter). However, the return leg from Tawang to Tezpur/ Orang can be done in a day if you stretch the ride.

Best time to visit would be:
1) April/ May, before the monsoons starts and after the winter is through; or
2) October, after the monsoons are over and before the winter starts. In beginning of October though, roads might not be in the best conditions since monsoons would have played slush rugby there.

That said, you might recall that I had mentioned in my opening post that "people who ride to Tawang in their motorcycles deserves a standing salute". I take this opportunity to salute you, your spine and the golden posterior. Ride safe!
dhanushmenon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 11:27   #19
BHPian

At the outset, a TL par excellence

Ahem, a PY registered XUV.
Financial planning that doesn't work for us KA folks, though some respite currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
In April first week I am headed to Nameri - Dirang - Tawang - Bomdila and Kaziranga.
Why am I feeling left out...
RSUDARSANAN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 12:50   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
At the outset, a TL par excellence

Ahem, a PY registered XUV.
Financial planning that doesn't work for us KA folks, though some respite currently.
Thanks a lot Sudarsanan sir. Well, the financial planning doesn't work for most people for more than a year; unless you have immunity like me in professional grounds.
Old 1st February 2017, 15:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Dhanush - as said earlier, amazing report. But greedy as we are, we will wait for the full travelogue
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 15:51   #22
BHPian

Hey! I saw you between Dirang and Bomdila if I am not mistaken! We were there from 22nd till 26th December 2016 travelling in a Fortuner. Your car carries an HVK sticker too right?

Coincidentally, We too did Dawki after Tawang/Bumla!

Was not finding time to process the photographs and was thinking about starting a thread soon today I see your Travelogue! Absolutely amazing write up and the pics are just magical! Rated 5 stars!

Last edited by vinayrathore : 1st February 2017 at 16:15.
vinayrathore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 17:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Well detailed information. When did you do this trip. Myself and KU69RD did it in bikes during December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Myself and KU69RD are penning the same journey we did on bikes, give us few days and it should be ready to be shared.
rk_sans is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 17:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Dhanush, excellent style of writing, loved the images too. I always think I will be the unlucky last person to visit that side of the country whenever I talk to friends or see such travelogues. Wishing since 4 years, yet to find the right company and motivation to make it happen. Thanks for the inspiration
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 17:52   #25
BHPian

Bro ultimate photography. Yet to sit and read the entire travelogue word by word. Anyways its in my subscribed list.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 18:12   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Dhanush - as said earlier, amazing report. But greedy as we are, we will wait for the full travelogue
Thanks Praveen. Let me forewarn you that the wait may well be long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Hey! I saw you between Dirang and Bomdila if I am not mistaken! We were there from 22nd till 26th December 2016 travelling in a Fortuner. Your car carries an HVK sticker too right?

Rated 5 stars!
Thanks for the rating Vinay. You might have seen me. And yes, I did sport HVK stickers in front and back. However, sorry that I missed you. Had I spotted you, I would've stopped over for a chit chat. It's always relishing to find a bhpian at any corner of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Well detailed information. When did you do this trip. Myself and KU69RD did it in bikes during December.
I did it in December rk_sans. 19 Dec, I reached Bomdilla. 20 Dec, I reached Tawang. Was there for two days. 23rd Dec, I started my return journey. 24th, I reached Shillong.

Do pen in your travelogue. It would be of great help to future travellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Dhanush, excellent style of writing, loved the images too....Thanks for the inspiration
Thanks a lot shajufx. It is never too late. Alike you, I have been nurturing the dream of a Ladakh for the last five years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Bro ultimate photography. Yet to sit and read the entire travelogue word by word. Anyways its in my subscribed list.
FundaG
Thanks a lot FundaG for your kind words. The trip was memorable without an iota of doubt. And your efforts on the sticker design helped me preserve the memorabilia. Great work there. Hats Off!!!
dhanushmenon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 19:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I did it in December rk_sans. 19 Dec, I reached Bomdilla. 20 Dec, I reached Tawang. Was there for two days. 23rd Dec, I started my return journey. 24th, I reached Shillong.

Do pen in your travelogue. It would be of great help to future travellers.
20th we returned to Guwahati after our 7 states ride. We were in that region on first week of December.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 07:37   #28
BHPian

This goes straight into my book mark bar. I have to go through your post 4-5 times more. So much information to grasp for some one has not been to Arunachal before. Thanks a lot.
gauravanekar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:35   #29
BHPian

Dear Dhanush,
This is a wonderful thread. Wish it was here a tad earlier as I recently did aTawang Bumla trip during Christmas New Year and was skeptical on taking routes not charted on gmaps! Hehe.

You have wonderfully put up everything and photographs are too good.
Happy motoring.
Dr_MNC_SK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:59   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
This goes straight into my book mark bar. I have to go through your post 4-5 times more. So much information to grasp for some one has not been to Arunachal before. Thanks a lot.
Thanks gauravanekar. Happy to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
Dear Dhanush,
This is a wonderful thread. Wish it was here a tad earlier as I recently did aTawang Bumla trip during Christmas New Year and was skeptical on taking routes not charted on gmaps! Hehe.

You have wonderfully put up everything and photographs are too good.
Happy motoring.
Thanks Doc. This couldn't have come anyway before your travel Because, I myself travelled during similar time- 20- 24 Dec 16. I too was a bit skeptic about routes. HVK gave me a lot of confidence then to tread the unknown. Closer to the date, an Army guy really did scare me off saying that the route will hardly have dozer services in time, in the event of a landslide. Notwithstanding, I still went ahead. Eventually, the excitement of the unknown actually added to the thrill.

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 2nd February 2017 at 13:00. Reason: correction of typo
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks