Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:34   #31
BHPian

Great Thread

Dhanush

Great thread as usual. And the pictures were beautiful.

The Northeast is pristine, beautiful and as yet unexplored. Most of the Northeast is very un-touristy (if there's such a word). Threads like this will no doubt raise the awareness about the places in the NE and maybe give a fillip to tourism in the as yet unexplored region. North East is a beautiful kaleidoscope of tribes, cultures, languages and vistas. You'll be surprised to know that though the people there may look similar to us, there's a great diversity in between regions, and within regions too there are different tribes and cultures, each fairly different from the other! This great diversity of culture, language and landscape is what makes it so interesting. Though the common thread running through all of Northeast is the locals' simple take on life and their happy go lucky attitude. They are hard working, simple people with warm smiles and open hearts. I'm sure the intrepid travellers amongst us will enjoy driving and exploring that part of the country, and will be richer for the experience.

I spent more than two years in the region and have been fortunate to explore a little. Great vistas, simple people and unspoiled nature in all her glory, all of the Northeast is beautiful. Arunachal, for sure is the hidden gem amongst the seven sisters - pristine and as yet unspoiled. If the roads are done up and the connectivity and hospitality options improved (with the archaic inner line permits done away with IMO), we will see enthusiastic travellers, and then some, flocking to explore unspoiled nature in the form of the exquisitely beautiful trails, jungles, valleys and rivers that the land of the rising Indian sun has to offer! Of course we do have our own BHPians who've done their fair share of exploring and posted travelogues from the region.

About the unrealiabity of Google maps, maybe for the sake of accuracy, you could improve the maps in google through mapmaker (https://mapmaker.google.com/mapmaker).

Once again, a well written thread !

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:19   #32
BHPian

Re: Holiday in Tawang: All you need to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Hey! I saw you between Dirang and Bomdila if I ...
.. 22nd till 26th December 2016 travelling in a Fortuner. Your car carries an HVK sticker too right?
Coincidentally, We too did Dawki after Tawang/Bumla!
Oh so there were lots of us Bhpians there during that time, Incidentally I happen to do Bumla Tawang after Dawki from 24 December to 3rd January. Same like you, was planning on the travelogue when this exceptional one from Dhanush came online.

It would have been great to cross paths somewhere then.
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 16:15   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Dhanush

Great thread as usual. And the pictures were beautiful.
Thanks Ironhide. And wonderful snaps there on the links. The culture and way of life in AR was completely different from what I have seen yet in the country. The thing which I thought to stand out the most in their culture was that there was no difference between male and female. Both are treated equal, both work the same way irrespective of the hardships and both are considered equal in society too. I would say a long way for the country to catch up with them. Ladies can roam around the streets even at the dead of night without fear and the gents respect their identity too.

My friend at Bomdila was saying that when he organises a football match, he has to organise football tournaments for ladies and gents as well. Likewise, I personally witnessed a football match being played there. I would say that more than 50% of the spectators were ladies.

As you had already said, the roads require a bit of makeover. However, with the vagaries of nature, it is bound to collapse with each passing monsoon/ landslide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
Oh so there were lots of us Bhpians there during that time, Incidentally I happen to do Bumla Tawang after Dawki from 24 December to 3rd January. Same like you, was planning on the travelogue when this exceptional one from Dhanush came online.

It would have been great to cross paths somewhere then.
Looks like there were many Bhpians around. Apart from us, there might be people who haven't yet seen the thread, who haven't responded. And few who might be inactive too. May be a few Bhpians belong to these places too. Who knows.
Old 2nd February 2017, 22:32   #34
BHPian

Firstly thanks for such a detailed travelogue . I think next time this travelogue will be the best one for reference for someone planning to visit Arunachal. While going through your blog I revived my memories of Arunachal. The pictures are really beyond appreciation. I planned my trip during October in yearning of clear sky but I think I have to plan a revisit during winter to experience the feet touching clouds and snow.
PointZero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 08:37   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post
Firstly thanks for such a detailed travelogue . I think next time this travelogue will be the best one for reference for someone planning to visit Arunachal. While going through your blog I revived my memories of Arunachal. The pictures are really beyond appreciation. I planned my trip during October in yearning of clear sky but I think I have to plan a revisit during winter to experience the feet touching clouds and snow.
Thanks PointZero. As I had told you in your SK thread, your previous AR thread was a huge motivation and planning reference for me. Winter is a wonderful time to be there. No doubt. However, the greenery was missing. I will plan a revisit when the mountains are green
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 08:13   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, this sounds interesting.
TOI- Indian Railways aim for new heights with train to Tawang

The question is whether this will see daylight and how soon?
Old 6th February 2017, 18:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Dhanush - Envy is the only word which could describe my feelings after reading this wonderful travelogue.

Very well written and amazing photographs there. Thanks a lot for sharing a lot of tips and building confidence of wanna be travellers unlike many sharing scary stories about the difficulty of doing it.

And let me tell you, you are a super dad. Experience is what you gift them in abundance. Keep it up. God bless.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 23:21   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Dhanush - Envy is the only word which could describe my feelings after reading this wonderful travelogue.

Very well written and amazing photographs there. Thanks a lot for sharing a lot of tips and building confidence of wanna be travellers unlike many sharing scary stories about the difficulty of doing it.

And let me tell you, you are a super dad. Experience is what you gift them in abundance. Keep it up. God bless.
Thanks a lot Jacs for your super kind words. I am sure that you were being much benevolent and I actually don't deserve so much of praise.

Yes, I wanted to take a different look to project the mountains of North East. And yes, I took a much easier route to get there too. And yes, I need more people to go there and explore the untouched gems there.
Tawang is easily doable in a 2WD car. The taxi nexus tries to dissuade the travellers by scary stories. Believe you me, if I can get there, anyone can.

On afterthoughts, you can take your Thunderbird too there.
Old 9th February 2017, 17:40   #39
BHPian

Rated this thread a well-deserved 5 stars.

This post has every bit of info required for a holiday in Tawang. I love team-bhp a lot for it's travelogue section. So much effort put in and it was a wonderful read.

Every picture posted is just wonderful, I was searching for an average one for a change.

Definitely a motivation as lot of people mentioned. Travel takes a back seat once a family man. Looks like not for you though.

Hope to see you around sometime.

Cheers!
voyageur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 20:15   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Rated this thread a well-deserved 5 stars.

This post has every bit of info required for a holiday in Tawang. I love team-bhp a lot for it's travelogue section. So much effort put in and it was a wonderful read.

Every picture posted is just wonderful, I was searching for an average one for a change.

Definitely a motivation as lot of people mentioned. Travel takes a back seat once a family man. Looks like not for you though.

Hope to see you around sometime.

Cheers!
Thanks a million voyageur for the appreciation.
Yes, I do my bit to travel with family. The kids are now small. Five years from now, I ain't sure whether they will be able to travel like this, missing classes. So, if it's not now, it's never. Moreover, of there's a will, there's always a way. So...
Old 10th February 2017, 21:50   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Dhanush,
am a big fan of your travelogues. Every time i read your new travelogue it surpass the awesomeness of the last one, though awesome will be an understatement!
Rated a very deserving 5*.

Tawang was always in my 'To Do Wish List', now i will bookmark this travelogue for my future reference.

Thanks a lot for sharing.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 12:42   #42
BHPian

Thank you Dhanush for putting up such an excellent travelogue. The pictures of your travelogue are simply marvelous and in fact some of them are surreal! Your writing seems to convey an unique style of humour and I enjoyed them thoroughly. Frankly, I would have loved to read a longer version of your travelogue.

Cheers,
gmhossain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 23:07   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Hi Dhanush,
am a big fan of your travelogues. Every time i read your new travelogue it surpass the awesomeness of the last one, though awesome will be an understatement!
Rated a very deserving 5*.

Tawang was always in my 'To Do Wish List', now i will bookmark this travelogue for my future reference.

Thanks a lot for sharing.
Thanks a lot for the rating and a bigger thanks for your very kind words. It is always a motivation to know that people like what I rant on the forum.
All the best for realizing your "To Do list". Believe me, one visit isn't enough to experience it all. Like they say, "It is addictive". When I am reminded of the views of the place, I am most compelled to go back there again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Thank you Dhanush for putting up such an excellent travelogue. The pictures of your travelogue are simply marvelous and in fact some of them are surreal! Your writing seems to convey an unique style of humour and I enjoyed them thoroughly. Frankly, I would have loved to read a longer version of your travelogue.

Cheers,
Thanks a lot gmhossain for your words of encouragement.
For the longer version of the travelogue, there is one warming the chair in the assembly section. In the same breath, I also admit that the speed of progress is slower than a 128 kbps dial up modem internet connection.

When it comes online, (or rather, "if it comes online" ), it will cover the whole trip. The main intention of this report was to lay down in a single thread the nuances of the trip to Tawang through an alternate route. It actually is exceeding my expectations if it can be considered as a guide to Tawang. So, I am happy either ways.
Old 8th May 2017, 11:56   #44
BHPian

Clarifications for Tawang trip by this May end :
Please help with the below questions. I am planning to travel by May end with small family (2 adults, 2 kids)

1. Can I self drive on a new Ford Figo Diesel to travel from Guwahati to Tawang by May end?. This one is available for me in Guwahati through a friend. If Figo cannot climb to Tawang because of road conditions, I will have to rent one from one of the travel agencies.

2. Is it advisable to take the Bomdila > Kalaktang route while returning or should i take the routine route of Bomdila > Tezpur towards Guwahati? If I take it, is there a good place near Sonai Rupai wildlife sanctuary to stay overnight?

3. If I take the regular route while returning, should I stay overnight at Tezpur or Nameri?. which one will offer more sightseeing from a tourist stand point?

4. When does Monsoon start typically in the hill regions towards Tawang. If it rains, is there a risk in driving?

Thanks a lot for your help!
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 12:52   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Tawang trip by this May end :
1. Can I self drive on a new Ford Figo Diesel to travel from Guwahati to Tawang by May end?. This one is available for me in Guwahati through a friend. If Figo cannot climb to Tawang because of road conditions, I will have to rent one from one of the travel agencies.

2. Is it advisable to take the Bomdila > Kalaktang route while returning or should i take the routine route of Bomdila > Tezpur towards Guwahati? If I take it, is there a good place near Sonai Rupai wildlife sanctuary to stay overnight?

3. If I take the regular route while returning, should I stay overnight at Tezpur or Nameri?. which one will offer more sightseeing from a tourist stand point?

4. When does Monsoon start typically in the hill regions towards Tawang. If it rains, is there a risk in driving?

Thanks a lot for your help!
1. Figo can do the terrain till Tawang. I know of friends who have done it on Swift and M800. I would suggest that you take a hired taxi from Tawang till Bum La and Sangetsar though. That said, when I visited Bum La, I saw a Punto too braving the terrain to Bum La.
However, the suspension of the car will take a slight toll. Since it is not your own car, you might want to take a weighed in consideration before subjecting it to the vagaries there.

2. I would suggest that you take Kalaktang route on both ways. Road conditions are much better than the traditional route with negligible traffic.

3. If taking the traditional route, stay at Nameri. There's a Eco tourism project there near the river which was opined to be good. I haven't stayed there, so I can't give first hand account.

4. Not sure of the present weather conditions in North East. Monsoons are expected to make landfall by 02 Jun in the coast of Kerala.
Pre monsoon showers will still be there. Road conditions may deteriorate in that case. Especially to Bum La and Sangetsar

Regards

Most Viewed