Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2019, 08:27   #91

Re: Tawang- through Kalaktang- Rupa- Bomdila

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
All the best for your journey. I'm sure you would have done your planning to the T. Since you are renting a car to drive, do enquire in advance about the permits to Bum La and Zemithang.

Also, don't rush through the drive. Time permitting, do spend sufficient time enroute to take in the beauty of the place.

Starting early is strongly recommended. Especially since it gets dark earlier in those parts of the county.

Drive safe.
Yes all planning is done. Your post has cleared a lot of ambiguity that one would generally have.

As for permits to Bum La and Zemingthang, there is not much information online about permits for rented self driven cars. I'll have to find it from the DC office in Tawang. In the worst case I may have to rent a local cabbie for the trip.

Also, yes. I strongly advocate the saying that it is not about the destination but the journey that matters the most.
rusteinstein is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:32   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: ILP and passes to Bum La

Quote:
Zemithang is a laid back village almost at the middle of nowhere. I will not go into the history of the place or the monuments there. However, though at a modest 80 Kms from Tawang, you cannot achieve an up and down on the same day due to the magnanimity of the roads. It takes around 5-6 hours one way. The issue is that there are no in between places for halt if you start back the same day. Therefore, you will invariably have to stay there. Options for stay are limited, with a government Inspection Bungalow ( 03794- 280326) and very few homestays.

There is a road which leads to Sangetsar lake from Zemithang side. It is said that the best drive in the whole of Tawang region is the stretch from Zemithang to Sangetsar. The said road was closed during my visit and I couldn't venture the drive. In addition, during winters, the surface is all iced out and weathering it was impossible for my humble driving skills.

The Western approach to Zemithang through Lumla is open at all times. Roads on either route are in tatters, though very scenic. Especially in Zemithang- Sangetsar stretch, check well with locals and weather before venturing out. The route is very lonely and help will be hard to come by. Needless to say, cell phone coverage can be comfortably ruled out. As for records, cell phone coverage is available only at Tawang, Dirang and Bomdilla.

Was checking Google maps and this came to my mind. Visit Sangester lake, Bumla pass from Tawang and then proceed to Zemithang for overnight stay.
Next day return to Tawang via the traditional route.
Vehicle is 4x4.

Is this possible if an early morning (5am) start is scheduled?
Besides permits for Bumla, will permits for Zemithang be required?
Will we have to inform the Army checkpost as we will take a different route back ?

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 23rd April 2019 at 09:33.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 13:20   #93
BHPian

Re: Holiday in Tawang: All you need to know

Awesome travelogue, we are planning a NE trip this Oct-Nov. This log just helped seal few places to pick for sure.

Any idea on how are the road conditions now? Will a Street Triple and RE Interceptor make this route?
srikanthpotluri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 20:15   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusteinstein View Post
As for permits to Bum La and Zemingthang, there is not much information online about permits for rented self driven cars. I'll have to find it from the DC office in Tawang. In the worst case I may have to rent a local cabbie for the trip.
All the best for your journey. Looking forward to an engaging travelogue from you on the journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Was checking Google maps and this came to my mind. Visit Sangester lake, Bumla pass from Tawang and then proceed to Zemithang for overnight stay.
Vehicle is 4x4.

Will we have to inform the Army checkpost as we will take a different route back ?
1. Yes it is possible if you start at 5. Though, you reaching Zemithang will depend on the time of the year of your travel. The region is snowed out in winters. Do check with local taxi guys when you reach Tawang as to the state of roads and take a call accordingly.
Keep in mind that the area is completely isolated and if you get stuck enroute, you'll only have your luck for company.
2. Permits for Zemithang will be required.
3. There will be an army check post after the Taksang near Sungetsar. You'll have to make entry there. Being very close to Chinese border, they may have their reservations to allow you to pass through, depending on the prevalent security scenario. Especially if it's after 2 PM.
You will also have to inform the Army check points at the beginning of the ascend at Tawang and also at Y junction about your detour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
Awesome travelogue, we are planning a NE trip this Oct-Nov. This log just helped seal few places to pick for sure.

Any idea on how are the road conditions now? Will a Street Triple and RE Interceptor make this route?
Thank you very much.
I'm not sure of the present road conditions. However, an Interceptor and a Street shouldn't find it hard I guess in October.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 18:53   #95

Awesome travelogue! Rated 5 stars. I would like to congratulate you on an amazing trip.

If I were to do this itinerary in a 2WD Duster, what month would you recommend to avoid snowed out roads while also being able to see a few frozen artifacts?

Cheers,
Taz.
tazonahighway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 10:24   #96
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Vehicle is 4x4.

Dhanushmenon has already answered your queries, I would just like to emphasize on a few points -
  • Please start very early, the route to Zemithang from T Gompa is very isolated. You may not see a single soul in this stretch. That said, the route is extremely beautiful - start early to make the most of it. The sun sets by 4:30 to 5 PM during the winters and usually by 6 PM on other times of the year so plan your travel accordingly. The last few kms will cost you a lot of time as the road is narrow and goes through forest patches. It rains a lot in this region, sometimes unpredictable, so carry your rain gear along.

• Zemithang is a beautiful village, you will be tempted to stay around for longer. For your night stay, your may chose the Govt Rest House or else a homestay (I stayed here and would wholeheartedly recommend this) which is easy to locate if you ask the locals. This homestay is one of the bigger houses in the village and belongs to a powerful guy of that region. Just ask at local shops about the directions. Any other option is too basic.

• Some local people of Tawang warned me about the practice of Black Magic in Zemithang. Although I didn't find anything disturbing during my two-day stay, I would still advice you to exercise precaution when you interact with local villagers.

• You may not be allowed to take your vehicle to Bumla - depending on weather conditions. However, the local taxis are usually allowed. In such a scenario, you will have to take your vehicle and a local taxi both till Y Junction, park your vehicle there and go onward till Bumla in the taxi, come back till Y Junction and drive on towards Sangetsar Lake and further to Zemithang in your vehicle while the taxi returns back to Tawang. Do remember to get this point clarified from permits pov.

• In case the permit thing doesn't work out that way, the other option is to take the taxi to Bumla and return back to Tawang. Next day, drive to Sangetsar Lake and beyond till Zemithang.

Drive Safe !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazonahighway View Post
If I were to do this itinerary in a 2WD Duster, what month would you recommend to avoid snowed out roads while also being able to see a few frozen artifacts?
I went in April 2018 - the weather was brilliant. I have shared a few pictures here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post4410086 (Holiday in Tawang: All you need to know)

Last edited by //M : 1st May 2019 at 10:51.
//M is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 10:36   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Dhanushmenon has already answered your queries, I would just like to emphasize on a few points -
========
I went in April 2018 - the weather was brilliant. I have shared a few pictures here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post4410086 (Holiday in Tawang: All you need to know)
Thanks! April seems like a wonderful time. I am also contemplating October. Any idea if that will be a doable time?

Cheers,
Taz

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st May 2019 at 10:40. Reason: Trimming entire large post quote. Thanks.
tazonahighway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 10:55   #98
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! April seems like a wonderful time. I am also contemplating October. Any idea if that will be a doable time?

Cheers,
Taz
The second half of October should be good, depending on the weather forecast but don't expect much snow except around Bumla. But do factor in the weather, the monsoon season usually lasts longer in these parts of the country.

November would be a better bet IMO.
Old 1st May 2019, 11:00   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]You may not be allowed to take your vehicle to Bumla - depending on weather conditions. However, the local taxis are usually allowed. In such a scenario, you will have to take your vehicle and a local taxi both till Y Junction, park your vehicle there and go onward till Bumla in the taxi, come back till Y Junction and drive on towards Sangetsar Lake and further to Zemithang in your vehicle while the taxi returns back to Tawang. Do remember to get this point clarified from permits pov.

[*]In case the permit thing doesn't work out that way, the other option is to take the taxi to Bumla and return back to Tawang. Next day, drive to Sangetsar Lake and beyond till Zemithang.[/list]
Drive Safe !

Thanks for your valuable inputs. I really appreciate it.
I own a 3.2 Litre 4x4 Ford Endeavour which I purchased mainly for such expeditions. I may visit in October so let's see how the weather plays. Regarding the permissions, I will negotiate my way around especially since I have one the best vehicles in business.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:25   #100
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your valuable inputs. I really appreciate it.
I own a 3.2 Litre 4x4 Ford Endeavour which I purchased mainly for such expeditions. I may visit in October so let's see how the weather plays. Regarding the permissions, I will negotiate my way around especially since I have one the best vehicles in business.
I am not doubting your car or your driving abilities. Its more of a Taxi Mafia issue wherein they restrict private cars and only allow local taxis to Bumla. You may however check with the Army personnel at the Tawang War Memorial, they will give you a better idea on this. Even if you hire an agent to get you necessary permits for Bumla, it is the Army at Tawang War Memorial which issues the permits.

On a related note, instead of taking the Kalaktang - Shergaon - Rupa- Bomdila - Dirang route, the locals often take the Kalaktang - Shergaon - Morshing - Mandala - Dirang route. They say the Mandala route is more scenic than the usual Bomdila route. The distance and time taken is more or less the same so you may consider this option as well depending on your plan to stay either in Bomdila or Dirang. The road conditions on the Mandala route were supposedly good till early 2018, no idea about the road conditions now.

One important point to note is that the Mandala route will be in most likelihood more isolated than the touristy Bomdila route - this can be a good or a bad thing and should you take this route or not is purely subjective.
Old 5th May 2019, 15:52   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,
Taz
I went in end of December; supposedly the peak of winters. The roads were not completely snowed out that it remained closed; except Zemithang- Sangetsar.
I did find frozen rivers and waterfalls all through.

Quote:
I am not doubting your car or your driving abilities. Its more of a Taxi Mafia issue wherein they restrict private cars and only allow local taxis to Bumla. You may however check with the Army personnel at the Tawang War Memorial, they will give you a better idea on this. Even if you hire an agent to get you necessary permits for Bumla, it is the Army at Tawang War Memorial which issues the permits
Thanks for wonderfully amplifying the nuances around the Zemithang sector. I personally didn't travel that side and would not have been able to provide much help to tazonhighway.

With respect to permits to Bum La, submit the following.
The permits are issued by the Army. There is no way that they will deny a permit to a traveller. If the roads are blocked, they may not allow you to pass. In which case, even taxis won't be allowed to pass.
The issue is if the local taxi guys trying to flex their muscles. They will try to discourage you saying that it is a very dangerous route and without experience, you won't make it and all the tall order 'kahaani's. It's up to the traveler to take it with a pinch of salt and take the final decision depending on his car and driving skills.
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 17:35   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I visited Tawang and Zemithang last month on a rented RE Himalayan from Guwahati.

Route Taken :
Guwahati - Balemu - Kalaktang - Bomdila - Dirang - Tawang - Bumla - Shungetsar Lake - T Gompa - Zemithang - Lumla - Tawang - Bomdila - Bhalukpong - Tezpur - Nagaon - Guwahati
Hi,
Nice pictures, few questions:
1) Is it advisable to ride alone or with female rider in the circuit mentioned by you?
2) How much time does it take to complete above circuit comfortably?
3) I hope locals dont create issue for rental bike?
4) Can you please guide or PM me contact details of bike provider and rental charged?
5) Can it be done in August - September season in bike considering monsoon in that region? if no, what should be best season to go there on a bike?

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Old 7th May 2019, 09:32   #103
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

My answers in Bold & Italics below :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi,
Nice pictures, few questions:
1) Is it advisable to ride alone or with female rider in the circuit mentioned by you?
- Yes no problems in going alone or with a female rider. Do carry essential tools, puncture kit, air compressor etc as there are no mechanics or workshops beyond Tawang.

2) How much time does it take to complete above circuit comfortably?
- We did this over 8 days ex-Guwahati. I think 8-9 days would be ideal for the entire circuit.

3) I hope locals dont create issue for rental bike?
- I myself rode a rental Himalayan, I didn't face any issues anywhere.

4) Can you please guide or PM me contact details of bike provider and rental charged?
- I rented the Himalayan from Awe Rides in Guwahati. The motorcycle was not in a very good condition however I had some spare parts so I got it fixed before the journey started. Awe Rides later reimbursed me the money spent in fixing the motorcycle.

5) Can it be done in August - September season in bike considering monsoon in that region? if no, what should be best season to go there on a bike?
- Please avoid going in the monsoons. Ideal season would be November or March.

Thanks in advance!

Regards
//M is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 03:09   #104
BHPian

Quote:
My answers in Bold & Italics below :
Hi,

I am planning to rent a car and visit Tawang from Guwahati around the Independence day week, any issues with regards to the weather? I have been reading reports and it is expected that monsoon will subside in Arunachal by the end of the week.
I really am looking forward to doing this and finding another window to do it in is going to be a challenge.
Old 16th July 2019, 09:43   #105
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Hi,

I am planning to rent a car and visit Tawang from Guwahati around the Independence day week, any issues with regards to the weather? I have been reading reports and it is expected that monsoon will subside in Arunachal by the end of the week.
I really am looking forward to doing this and finding another window to do it in is going to be a challenge.
Monsoons usually last longer in this part of the country. I would have avoided August as it gets very tricky due to frequent landslides and slushy roads. Due to deforestation and loose soil in Arunachal, landslides are a common affair. Most rental car companies do not have a proper 4x4 option to tackle such terrain either. Going beyond Tawang with a 2WD during monsoons is going to be very tricky.

I would suggest an alternate option - Meghalaya. The monsoons are more enjoyable here, there are plenty of unexplored routes and so much to do specially if you are fond of hiking. I have been to Meghalaya thrice now, every single time I have seen places where I never went before, rather I never knew of them before.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks