Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2017, 23:51   #1
BHPian

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom

This is my first travelogue on Team BHP and it took some time to do this write up.
Prologue
It was about a month since I took my Ecosport for a long spin. Also, the odometer was lagging on numbers to be covered. I along with my friends started to plan a visit to Kerala specifically to Kumarakom. After some research on multiple resorts, finally glued on to KTDC WaterScapes resort at Kumarakom. The reviews and pictures were amazing which made me to book lake view rooms.
Travel
Initially, we thought of booking train tickets with me insisting on driving all the way. This was my second trip to Kerala and the only difference now was that we were missing one our friend (Team BHPian). So, others were little worried as I was going to drive all the way but I was very excited to do this. Finally convinced everyone and decided that we will be driving.
Route
Onward: Bangalore – Salem -- Coimbatore -- Thrissur -- Kochi -- Cherathal -- KTDC WaterScapes
Return: KTDC WaterScapes -- Cherathal -- Thrissur -- Coimbatore -- Salem -- Bangalore

Name:  ap.png
Views: 2329
Size:  383.9 KB

Day 0
The day at office was hectic and I was trying to wrap up things early so that I can catch up some sleep before we start. Somehow, was able to finish my work and reached home by 8 pm. Took light dinner and went to bed. The driving excitement gave me some adrenaline rush due to which I was unable to sleep comfortably. I woke up after trying to relax for some time and clock was ticking at 11 pm. Decided to pack my stuff and took a nice hot shower. My boy was ready washed with its cover on and fuelled up. Seemed he was more eager for the drive rather than me.

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-dsc_1959.jpg

Finally, I was out of my house at 00.30 am with a pick up at BTM layout which was on the way. We left Bangalore around 1 am and got my much awaited coffee break with a cup of Cappuccino.
Day 1
The drive through Krishnagiri and Salem was amazing with very less traffic as it was a weekday midnight. That means much more relaxed drive on this stretch considering Bangalore's outgoing traffic on weekends. I was able to maintain constant speeds of 110-120 kmph and was enjoying my drive with others fast asleep. My favourite songs along with night driving kept accompanying me all the way on good 4 and 6 lanes road. Reached Coimbatore L&T toll around 5.30 am (This section was actually a breeze to cover. 370Km in 4.5 hrs). Bad patches and road construction around Walayar and Thrissur reduced my average speed. Stopped for breakfast at Saravanan Bhavan on Thrissur Bye pass at 7.30 am.

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-img_9530edit.jpg

I decided to take 15 min power nap as my destination was still a good 4hr drive ahead. With 30 min pit stop for breakfast we were back on road through Kerala only to find slow moving traffic with stringent speed limits in place. The drive through Angamaly and Kochi was filled with traffic signals and slow moving vehicles. But, I was relaxed and continued my drive through these towns to reach my destination around 11.30 am. I was little tired after long overnight drive but the amazing views from resort and the hospitality gave me more enthusiasm which kept alive.

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-dsc_1688.jpg

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-dsc_1689.jpg

Meanwhile, we decided to take a walk through small bridges and canal cottages in the resort. The resort was clean and very well maintained. It also hosted an Ayurvedic spa which all of us thought would be a good idea for body massage and relaxation. We checked into our lake view rooms which were quite spacious and had a balcony overlooking Vembanad lake. Vastness of the lake gave a feel that it’s actually a sea and not lake.

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-dsc_1668.jpg

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-dsc_1631.jpg

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-dsc_1694.jpg

We relaxed in our rooms for some time and decided to have lunch at the in house restaurant. The restaurant was on top of the water body with view of never ending lake. Eyes were really slumped with view rather than stomach having food.
After our lunch, we then headed for body massage which was followed by hot water bath. It took around 2 hrs for this entire service with me half asleep most of the time. Rejuvenating experience.
Evening was the highlight as we spent most of time on the verge of lake which had a floating platform kind of thing. The sunset was gorgeous with orange light and many boat houses passing nearby. We spent some time just watching the vast sky and lake merging together separated by sunset. Splendid view!!

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-dsc_1673.jpg

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-dsc_1679.jpg

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-img_9366.jpg

We took buffet for evening dinner which was accompanied by soft music played live by local folk artists. Violin and Tabla gave some background score while we enjoyed our dinner. After previous night long drive was deprived of sleep so decided to take a call for the day.

Day2
Next morning we took a walk in the resort where we got to see many species of birds. Most of them were to be migratory. Although, had never seen such variety of birds.
Apologies for not getting many of them captured.

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-dsc_1828.jpg

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-dsc_1692.jpg

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-dsc_1734.jpg

We got dressed up and took some snaps around the resort enjoying the beauty. Then it was time for Breakfast which was to be served as buffet. Good number of dishes with fruits and juices. The service at restaurant was courteous and provided good hospitality with great taste.

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-img_9425.jpg

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-dsc_1801.jpg

Initially we had planned for a visit to Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary which was dropped later due to the sightings of most of birds in the morning.
For those interested : This sanctuary is 1.5 KM from Waterscapes and need to cover by walk. Evening and mornings are the best time to get glimpse of most of the birds. May take about 2 hrs to complete this trail.

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-img_9479edit.jpg

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-img_9481.jpg

Started driving back to Bangalore around 2 pm after lunch. Encountered heavy traffic near Lulu Mall Kochi which took almost 2 hrs to exit Kochi city from Kumarakom. Since it was Saturday evening, the roads and toll booths were almost empty beyond Angamaly which allowed me to cruise at good speeds.

The only highlight of the drive back happened near Krishnagiri. It was around 11 PM and was doing constant 110 kmph. My car was following other vehicles with good distance but as usual the guys behind me were tailing very near. Somewhere, I had to break sharply (ABS kicked in) due to the traffic ahead coming to a sudden halt. I realized during breaking that I may stop by the distance in front of me but the Qualis behind me may not be able to do so. Then came the screeching tyre sound from behind and my mirror suggested that I may get rear ended. But my stars clicked and he swerved to right which was empty. My heart sank for a minute but thanked my stars. Indeed a lucky day!

Reached home by 1am with Odo displaying trip at 1286 km.

Resort: KTDC WaterScapes, Kumarakom
Rooms: 5/5 (Lake view).
Parking: 4/5
Service: 5/5
Food: 4/5
Value for Money: 5/5
Attached Thumbnails
An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-dsc_1695.jpg  

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-dsc_1830.jpg  

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-dsc_1962edit.jpg  

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-img_9438.jpg  

An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom-img_9482.jpg  

Last edited by RapidRavi : 27th January 2017 at 23:56. Reason: typos
RapidRavi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 09:13   #2
BHPian

re: An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom

Nice travelogue. Very good.
I missed this drive.
sathya.bhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 11:34   #3
BHPian

re: An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom

Short and sweet escapade to Kumarakom from the monotony of daily life! It is only rejuvenating trips like this keeps our spirits high and batteries charged . Well written travelogue too.

It would be nice if the following details could be shared.

1) When was the trip taken ? What is the best season to visit Kumarakom ?
2) What was the total expenses incurred for Fuel, Tolls and Stay at KTDC WaterScapes, Kumarakom ?
3) Is the space family/kids friendly ?

Happy and Safe motoring. Thank you !
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 15:24   #4
BHPian

Re: An escape to waterscapes! KTDC Water Scapes, Kumarakom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
Short and sweet escapade to Kumarakom from the monotony of daily life! It is only rejuvenating trips like this keeps our spirits high and batteries charged . Well written travelogue too.

2) What was the total expenses incurred for Fuel, Tolls and Stay at KTDC WaterScapes, Kumarakom ?

If I may answer your query...especially the last one

This place is totally worth the money. I spent 3 nights (Nov'16) with my family and I have a 2.5 year old daughter. Very friendly staff, lots of open spaces, pools and a beautiful lake view. The lake view cottages are worth every penny. For kids specially they will enjoy roaming around the huge campus + kids pool + lake side view + ducks roaming around.

We often during our 3 day stay required milk for our daughter and the staff obliged every time and were very helpful.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 17:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I stayed in one of the stilted cottages in 2k7, and its still the same. Just lovely!
Amazing breakfasts!
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 19:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post

1. Trip was done in January,2017(6th to 8th). Not an expert answer for the best time. But winters, November through Feb should be good.
2. Fuel total of Rs 4800(full tank method) for entire trip.
Toll : Rs 600 odd per side one way. Total of Rs1200.
Stay: 3.4 k per night per room(2 adults) for lake view rooms. Recommend to book via online portals as you get most of the discounts.
3. Yes it's family friendly. Naughty toddlers requires an eye to watch. This is because of small canals and water bodies near by. There is a watchman always near the lake.
RapidRavi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks