Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:44   #31
BHPian

Re: Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited

Jan 16 2016 - Day 5

We woke up pretty early around 5:00 AM to catch the sun rise. Unfortunately the sun rose from some mountains which were behind the mountains that we could see from our balcony. But still it was pretty good sight early in the morning.

Just as the sun was rising

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060794.jpg

After sunrise

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060800.jpg

View of the road and tea estates from our balcony

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060802.jpg

Little disappointed we hurried to get ready so that we could view some more wildlife on the way back. Unfortunately for us it was pretty foggy that day and it wasn’t until close to 7:00 when we actually started.

Ready for the drive back

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060803.jpg

Gorgeous early morning light

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060804.jpg

One more

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060805.jpg

Tani all set for the drive back home

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060807.jpg

We spotted the peacock on the way back

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060815.jpg

Twisties … Taurus was going to miss them

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060830.jpg

Some more mountain goats

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060833.jpg

Through the mountains

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060835.jpg
nibedk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:01   #32
BHPian

The route taken for Bangalore

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-valparai_bng.jpg

It was SH78 to start with till we crossed Pollachi. Then we touched NH 209 after crossing Pollachi which is a two lane road. Then it was SH166. A pic below. It wasn’t possible to drive too fast.

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060838.jpg

After we crossed the ghat roads and crossed Pollachi wife took over and continued driving till we reached Salem. Once we touched NH7 it was all good again. Speeds were up again and we covered good distances.

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060844.jpg

Beautiful roads all the way till Salem

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060848.jpg

Pretty scenic as usual …

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060851.jpg

Roads were pretty straight and inviting. But as decided at the start of the journey we never crossed 120 kmh. And even if we did the buzzer reminded us.

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060862.jpg

Some University on the way … err forgot its way

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060864.jpg

Finally we touched Salem around 12:30 PM

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060866.jpg

We crossed Salem and stopped by for lunch @ Sarvana Bhavan

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060867.jpg

We had planned to be @ Hebbal, Bangalore by 2:00 PM max so that we could have had the lunch together @ my friend’s place. Since lunch was already cooked for us we fed our daughter and shared one mini thali together just that we do not go hungry. It was 1:30 PM when we started again. I took over the driver’s seat again. Wife was a little sleepy and chose to have a quick nap.

I drove @ 120 km/h throughout slowing down only when required. Covered the close to 250 kms in the next 2:30 hours with average speeds close to 100 kmh.Finally around 4:00 PM we reached Hebbal. Filled our empty stomachs and had a quick one hour nap. We all partied late into the night and slept well after midnight.

We were a little sad though that such a great trip was coming to an end. But the driver in me was happy that still 600 odd kms needed to be covered to get back home.

Stats Valparai – Bangalore

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-valparai_bng_stat.jpg

Start Time: 7:00 AM.
End Time: 5:00 PM
Distance Covered: 527.5 kms
Travel Time (In car): 8:40 hours
Average Speed: 60.86 km/h
Total Time: 10:00 hours
Break Time: 1:20 hours
Mileage: 18.4 km/l

This being a weekend the traffic was pretty thick throughout. But since we drove not more than 120 km/h we never really had to sow down too much and were in control always. The average speed was a little on the slower side due to ghat roads, quite some distance on the SHs and finally the (in) famous Bangalore traffic.
nibedk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:21   #33
BHPian

Jan 17 2016 - Day 6

We woke up pretty “Aaram Se” and with a heavy heart started getting ready for the trip back. We ate to our fill and started exactly half past 10.

The route taken was the usual NH7 one finally merging in ORR.

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-bng_hyd.jpg

HYD – BNG NH7 now seems to be backyard drive only. We got stuck in the traffic for some time till we Taurus had his share of fill. It wasn’t until we crossed Bangalore airport that we started driving with good speeds

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060870.jpg

The clouds and the mountains … The drive back was pretty boring. This is the only time when destination is important and the journey is immaterial. We just wanted to reach back home

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060885.jpg

Straights again but weren’t inviting any more. We started discussing for next trip. That seemed more interesting

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060892.jpg

Windmills again ….

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060897.jpg

Bling .. Bling … Bling … Got so bored that I started fiddling with various modes in the camera.

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060899.jpg

Jai Bajrang Bali …

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060900.jpg

Isckon Temple

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060901.jpg

Wife drove around 250 kms and close to 2:00 PM we stopped for lunch

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060906.jpg

I took over after the lunch and drove till the end. Some more bling

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060908.jpg

Closing in on our destination

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060911.jpg

And the final one

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-p1060913.jpg

We took a tea break around 5:00 PM close to HYD. Around 7:30 PM we finally reached home.

Stats – Bangalore - Hyderabad

Pun-toured: The beautiful Western Ghats revisited-bng_hyd_stats.jpg

Start Time: 10:30 a.m.
End Time: 7:20 p.m.
Distance Covered: 629.8 kms
Travel Time (In car): 7:36 hours
Average Speed: 82.87 km/h
Total Time: 8:50 hours
Break Time: 1:14 hours
Mileage: 18.2 km/l

The stats were pretty similar to first day stats between HYD and BNG. Just that a few additional kms within BNG slowed us down a little till we crossed the airport. The average speed and mileage are precariously similar to the earlier stats.

Well that’s all I have for the last trip we did. Planning on for the next trips. June I will be taking a trip to native and some trip will be planned for sure may be the temple cities of TN( Mahabalipuram, Madurai, Rameswaram and Kanyakumari or trip to Kerala. Bye for the time being catch you all soon again.
nibedk is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Come on, get quickly to the Valparai section of the travelogue will ya .
The travelogue has been completed now. Hope me and my camera have done justice in showcasing the pristine beauty of Valparai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
Nice to read your detailed travelogue. I get reminded of my trip to Valparai in December 2015. We too stayed in the Misty Creek, was informed about elephants in various tourist spots and was allowed to visit only the Nirar Lower Dam. Had sightings of elephants on the Valpari Chalakudi Road, Great Hornbill and lots of other birds but missed out on the Nilgiri Tahr and the LTMs.
Waiting for your next post.
The travelogue is completed now and thanks for reading through. I do hope to travel there again. We were so exited that we missed some spots where we could have had more sightings of other animals.

I have other posts as well in the travelogue sections. The link is there in the first post of this travelogue
nibedk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:30   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
wow. nice write up and great photos nibedk. you must be lucky for seeing a tusker in ur first visit. Ive been to Valparai twice in the last 5 months for a tusker darshan, but couldnt. Had a close meeting with a special fella - the lion tailed Macaque just infront of our cottage. Had a great time watching them play on my car.
One needs to have good observation skills. Locals in Valparai can exactly pin point the location where animals can be found. We too were guided but out of excitement we would either miss the place completely or reach there before or after time.

Thanks for reading through mate. I too plan to be there again but there are just too many destinations left to be covered.
Old 7th February 2017, 14:35   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Start Time: 10:30 a.m.
End Time: 7:20 p.m.
Distance Covered: 629.8 kms
Travel Time (In car): 7:36 hours
Average Speed: 82.87 km/h
Total Time: 8:50 hours
Break Time: 1:14 hours
Mileage: 18.2 km/l
Wow nice trip with some nice pictures. Your car also gave a handsome mileage.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 18:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Wow nice trip with some nice pictures. Your car also gave a handsome mileage.
Thanks mate for having the patience to read through. Not sure whether its good or bad. My overall mileage after covering close to 53 K kms is a paltry 15.7 km/l. Usually get between 17-18 on highways and 14-15 in city. No too worried about it though.
Old 10th February 2017, 01:58   #38
BANNED

That was an excellent write-up & the pictures were just too good. You were very lucky to spot the tuskers. I have been to Valparai a couple of times but never ever spores any wild animals.
Old 10th February 2017, 10:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

Glad to see more and more travelogues for Valparai. Enjoyed reading it, keep writing

You had been lucky to spot the Nilgiri Thars and Elephants which I missed in most of my Valparai trips. And some decent bird spotting too. Infact Puthuthottam area is rich in wildlife but depending on season animals move to other belts like Urulikkal in search of food.

Also check out my travelogue on Manampally, may be you could arrange some permissions for a day trip if interested.
Old 12th February 2017, 17:40   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm295 View Post
That was an excellent write-up & the pictures were just too good. You were very lucky to spot the tuskers. I have been to Valparai a couple of times but never ever spores any wild animals.
Thanks mate for reading through. Glad that you liked it.

Lot of folks have mentioned that we were lucky to have spotted tuskers. I am now convinced that we really were. Early morning we had the maximum sightings. As the day goes by animals retreat to avoid contact with human population I guess.

This family of tuskers were near Valparai through out the day and we were not allowed to visit a lot of places by the forest guards. These were part of a bigger group I guess which had strayed into Valparai that day.
Old 21st April 2018, 09:14   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderfully captured travelogue sir. This and the other Karnataka trip, both. You cover such long distances without a fuss that it's amazing, with due credit to your daughter as well. I'm itching to do long trips as well but my lack of 'DIY' basic car repair skills has always troubled me. I'm my extended family's preferred chauffeur for long drives but I couldn't change a tyre or check the battery! Nevertheless, I'm plotting long trips while I accumulate enough vacation days.
Old 21st April 2018, 13:35   #42
BHPian

Thumbs Up for such a detailed travelogue covering Kodai and surrounding places from Hyderabad. Thats really an applause deserving feat covering close to 1400Kms from Hyderabad to Kodai with a 4yr old Kid. Stumbled upon this travelogue of yours Sir as i am planning a visit to Kodaikanal or Munnar this May with family via Bangalore. Will try to reach atleast till Salem from Hyderabad on Day 1.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks