Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2017, 22:52   #1
BHPian

Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters

We, people of Bangalore, go crazy whenever there is a long weekend coming up. The urge to go out of station and relax over the weekend increases exponentially. This week was no different, Thursday being our Republic Day. However, Atul and I were recently back from a long 19 days ride of western and central India. Needless to say, we spent quite a lot of cash on this trip and were in no state to plan a trip for four days. But the itch to travel, even for a short distance was getting onto our nerves.

Few days ago, a colleague of Atul mentioned him about the temple on the banks of Krishna Raja Sagara (KRS) dam backwaters. I checked out some of the pictures available on Google and was pretty impressed. So this is how our Sunday short ride got initiated. Three more of our friends joined us for the ride – Arun, Amruthesh and Abhishek. Since it was a round trip of 300 kms, this means I could go on my Dio as well.

Woke up at around 5 am and started preparing for the ride. Folks reached our home (meeting point) around 6:20am and we started at sharp 6:30am. Took the usual Bannerghatta road towards NICE Road to exit onto Mysore road (paid a toll of Rs. 23 per bike). Despite being early morning, the traffic on Mysore road was getting piled up fast with lots of good carrying trucks and out station cars. Around 7:10am we reached Bidadi and stopped by for our breakfast. When one is in Bidadi how a breakfast can go without having the piping hot thatte idly with red hot chutney. All of us devoured idlis, medu vada and tea. Some 30 mins break and we hit the roads again. Traffic was getting worse as we moved ahead. Stopped after a while for a quick petrol break.

In order to be sure we are following the correct direction, took a quick break to check for Google maps. This also turned out to be a tender coconut break as well. Around 9:30am we resumed our ride. After a while we had to let go off the Mysore highway and enter state roads for the destination, it was 20kms away. Road was pretty good for most of the sections apart from some bumpy and patchy parts. 10:45am and we reached our destination. Considering it was a Sunday, the crowd was less and this gave us ample amount of time to explore the temple and nearby areas. Parking place is huge and a guy collects Rs 10 as a fee per bike.

Major part of this temple is getting re-constructed yet it looks beautiful. One can see the KRS dam backwaters at a distance. This temple is another example of Hoysala architecture in Karnataka, it was built in the 12th century AD around the same time as the Chennakesava Temple at Somanathapura, Mysore district. The story around the temple goes by that before the Krishna Raja Sagara dam project was conceived by Sir M.Visvesvaraya in 1909, the temple complex was located in the village of Kannambadi. The KRS Dam project meant that Kannambadi and other surrounding settlements would be submerged. The then king of Mysore, Krishna Raja Wadiyar IV ordered the construction of a new village for the residents of Kannambadi. However, the Venugopal Swamy temple complex and two other temples namely had to be abandoned. By 1930, the first phase of the dam was completed and all three temples were submerged. This is when the old temple was shifted to this new temple. As of 2011, the main temple restoration has been completed and some of the construction along the periphery is on-going.

Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-aa.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_5553.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_5557.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_5561.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_5564.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_5582.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_5587.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_5591.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_5594.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_5598.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_8896.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_8892.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_8885.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_8872.jpg

Temple complex is huge and one should definitely appreciate the beautiful craftsmanship of architectures and workers, making it a serene atmosphere for devotees and tourists. We clicked some pictures and then after an hour headed towards the KRS backwaters. Small trails would lead us to the banks of the water body. At this point of the year, the area wouldn’t be submerged with water so we could take our bikes till the water edge, parked in a no-crowd spot and decided to relax and click some pictures. The view of the temple was amazing from here with clear blue water and beautiful heavenly sky. Though the heat was harsh but there was a mild breeze along the water. The view was mesmerizing with mountain ranges at a distance, tall green trees, rippling water and the temple in the backdrop. Some photo shots with the bikes, capturing time lapses, selfies and time just flew away. Around 1pm we started for the return ride.

Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_5601.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_5605.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_5613.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_8905.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_8910.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_8921.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_8926.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_8931.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_8940.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_8951.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-img_5877.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_9022.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_9004.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_8997.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_8985.jpg
Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters-dsc_8981.jpg

Covered some 75kms and decided to have some lunch. Stopped at this place called ‘Fish Curry Rice Mangalore style food’ somewhere on the outskirts of Maddur. It was fully crowded but we got our table. Ordered Mysore style chicken biriyani, egg biriyani, plain rice, chicken curry, rotis, tomato curry, neer dosas and some omelets. Must admit that the food was very sumptuous. By 4pm we were done and continued further. Once again stopped for a quick petrol break and had some 70kms left for home.

Rode constantly, encountered some road disruptions in between and heavy traffic pile up in some places. Amidst all these we reached NICE road around 5:45pm, took toll fee of Rs 23 per bike again and exited towards Bannerghatta road. As usual there was heavy congestion on this road and took us 40 mins for 7 kms. 6:45pm and we were home!
nandita_bayan21 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 00:43   #2
BHPian

re: Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters

Nice pictures !
We were there too over the long weekend and it's indeed a beautiful place to visit. As of now, the water level in the dam is less, but I am sure it will be an even more fantastic place when the dam fills up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandita_bayan21 View Post
In order to be sure we are following the correct direction, took a quick break to check for Google maps.
Not sure which route you took. One of the routes suggested by Google maps takes you through Pandavpura onto the Pandavapura-KRS road. This route can be avoided as its bumpy and there is a broken bridge (Google maps is not updated to show this broken bridge) and the only way around it is an even more bumpier and moderately long detour. The best route, if you are going from Bangalore, is to turn off the highway at Srirangapatna and join the KRS road. After crossing KRS on the KRS road, we need to take a deviation and go on a village road for about 2 km before you hit this place (all of it is well marked in Google maps). This road is bumpy and severely potholed, but the beauty of the place makes up for the bad ride.

Quote:
Parking place is huge and a guy collects Rs 10 as a fee per bike.
Must be a local guy trying to make a quick buck from the weekend crowd. We didn't have to pay anything when we parked our car there.

Note that there are no facilities (rest rooms, hotels) anywhere close by and the max we saw was a few guys selling cool drinks. The locals don't advise anybody to be there beyond 7 pm for reasons of safety.
perty is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 14:40   #3
BHPian

Thanks Nandita bayan, this temple looks like a great addition to places to visit around Mysore. Are poojas being done at this place? looked pretty deserted in your pictures.By the way, the snaps were stunning.
venkatt1800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 18:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
Nice pictures !
We were there too ...... the locals don't advise anybody to be there beyond 7 pm for reasons of safety.
Thank you.

We indeed took the road which you are referring here, a bit bumpy with potholes but didn't face any major issues. It was in pretty decent ride-able condition (Google Maps provided the same route).

The guy asking money was a physically challenge person, so I guess it was ok if he makes some money out of that. And yes, no public amenities (toilets) within the vicinity of the temple. Just couple of guys selling ice creams, corns, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatt1800 View Post
Thanks Nandita bayan, this temple looks like a great addition to places to visit around Mysore. Are poojas being done at this place? looked pretty deserted in your pictures.By the way, the snaps were stunning.
Thank you Venkat. The temple is still under construction and not many people know about this place, hence less crowd. Regarding pooja, Lord Vishnu's idol is already established inside the temple so I am assuming offerings of pooja must be there, however, not very sure though.
nandita_bayan21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 10:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ride to the Venugopala Swamy Temple, near KRS backwaters

Nice Pictures Nandita. Is this place the same as the one that is shot in film Uppi 2 during the song "Ivanyaro differentoo"?

Is anyone aware ?
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 11:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow, awesome pics - really worth the ride.
Love the serene atmosphere and i am sure it will be more beautiful once the restoration is over + water levels are high. Will plan a ride soon to this place - thanks for the travelogue.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 11:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the location and for the beautiful pics. They have done the re-location very well and looks really neat. The presence of the water body close by adds serenity to the complex.
I am planning a trip to Somanathapura over the weekend and will see if I can cover this.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 12:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Nice Pictures Nandita. Is this place the same as the one that is shot in film Uppi 2 during the song "Ivanyaro differentoo"?

Is anyone aware ?
Thanks and yes @gkveda. Didn't know about this before but did a quick YouTube and Google check of the song, it is the same temple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Wow, awesome pics - really worth the ride.
Love the serene atmosphere and i am sure it will be more beautiful once the restoration is over + water levels are high. Will plan a ride soon to this place - thanks for the travelogue.

--Anoop
Thank you!

We are also planning to pay a visit again, once the water level rises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Thanks for sharing the location and for the beautiful pics. They have done the re-location very well and looks really neat. The presence of the water body close by adds serenity to the complex.
I am planning a trip to Somanathapura over the weekend and will see if I can cover this.
Thank you. Please pay a visit, you will definitely like it.
nandita_bayan21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 22:43   #9
BHPian

It's these little known places around Bangalore that keeps the biking scene so active here. There are so many places close to this city that you can ride to these places almost every weekend witout having to go to the same destination twice. Thanks for sharing the details to this place.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 23:22   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
It's these little known places around Bangalore that keeps the biking scene so active here. There are so many places close to this city that you can ride to these places almost every weekend witout having to go to the same destination twice. Thanks for sharing the details to this place.
Thank you Snehal. Definitely, Bangalore outskirts have so many beautiful unexplored places. Would love to see them all...
Old 7th February 2017, 14:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Since it was a round trip of 300 kms, this means I could go on my Dio as well.
Is that an AGV K3 SV Five Continents Helmet that you use with your Dio?
anshumandun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 21:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Is that an AGV K3 SV Five Continents Helmet that you use with your Dio?
Yes, it is AGV K3 SV Five Continents helmet. No compromise on safety, be it Dio or being pillion to D390.
nandita_bayan21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 23:31   #13
BHPian

Miss Nandita,
Nice to see some unexplored places around Bangalore. Good to see this coming from a lady rider on forum, and trust me Dip doesn't look out of place, that too in a convoy of KTM's and Enfield. Keep riding.
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 10:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
We!
Beautiful pictures and nice write-up.
The pictures are in very symmetric and neat frame with nice cloud formations in background - a classical purist, I would say. This is not very common now a days.
I could read the camera as Nikon but not sure of the model or lens - would be eager to know.
SKavuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 10:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruddha_Ch View Post
Miss Nandita,
Nice to see some unexplored places around Bangalore. Good to see this coming from a lady rider on forum, and trust me Dip doesn't look out of place, that too in a convoy of KTM's and Enfield. Keep riding.
Thanks you so much Aniruddha. Feels great when folks like you appreciates and encourages female riders like us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKavuri View Post
Beautiful pictures and nice write-up.
The pictures are in very symmetric and neat frame with nice cloud formations in background - a classical purist, I would say. This is not very common now a days.
I could read the camera as Nikon but not sure of the model or lens - would be eager to know.
Thank you so much.

I use Nikon D750 with Nikon 70-300mm/50mm lens for all close up and zoom shots. For all wide angle shots I use Nikon D5200 along with Tokina 11-16mm.
nandita_bayan21 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks