Team-BHP - Jungle Mahal : A drive through the west of West Bengal
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Jungle Mahal : A drive through the west of West Bengal (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/184577-jungle-mahal-drive-through-west-west-bengal-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbanerjee (Post 4155099)
Awesome piece of info Golam saab. Never knew this. Thanks for enlightening.

Thank you sbanerjee. Indeed, it was a surprising information even for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 4155136)
Great travelogue gmhossain with loads of information and pictures. West Bengal roads have drastically improved under the current government, but advertising of these places is still lacking. Hopefully people will visit these places more often after going through the travelogues posted on team-bhp, thanks to guys like Samba and you and lot of others.

Thanks a lot BlackPearl for the appreciation. Indeed, Samba has been a key ambassador of West Bengal tourism in recent times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by livetodrive (Post 4155326)
Great travelogue...reminds of 'Aranyer Din Ratri'

Thank you very much livetodrive!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi2n (Post 4155360)
Brilliant write-up Hossain da! Found it very refreshing and informative. The ambiance of the WBFDC facility looks inviting for a quaint weekend getaway.

Thanks mi2n. I agree, WBFDC facility would be among the best location wise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by siddarthab (Post 4155481)
Beautifully penned travelogue and wonderful photographs to match.

Thank you Siddhartha. I appreciate your comments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catchjyoti (Post 4155601)
Doesn't matter if the lady is city-bred or jungle-bred, we have to be very careful on this. Better to quote on the lower end :D

Thanks a lot catchjyoti. Indeed, I couldn't agree more ;)

Nice Travelogue with useful information. It is really good to see the improvement of road condition in last few years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmhossain (Post 4151347)
In the last few years, most state highways in West Bengal have seen dramatic improvements.

Lovely travelogue and pictures, many thanks for letting me indulge in nostalgia for some time at least!

I am so glad to see such lovely SHs in West Bengal. I grew up in Kolkata and we extensively travelled up and down WB & Bihar in our various Ambassadors (Mark II, III, IV) followed by our the high-tech Maruti 800, and finally my beloved Ambassador 1800ISZ with the lovely petrol engine. :D

The SHs and even the NHs were highly variable though and we struggled through many stretches at the cost of lost time and vehicle wear-and-tear. Our constant acco was the very low-rent and ranged from WBSTDC lodges, Forest bungalows, Inspection bungalows etc, and we youngsters enhoyed it tremendously even though amenities were totally basic.

Again happy to see such pristine roads even though many parts of WB are 5-7 years behind MH, GJ, TN etc. :thumbs up

Thanks for the travelogue, nicely penned with serene pictures. You just gave me an opportunity to plan one for myself, post April 15 would it be a good time or it will get hotter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJR (Post 4155862)
Nice Travelogue with useful information. It is really good to see the improvement of road condition in last few years.

Thank you DJR. It's my pleasure to hear your comments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwasntme (Post 4155946)
Lovely travelogue and pictures, many thanks for letting me indulge in nostalgia for some time at least!

I am so glad to see such lovely SHs in West Bengal. I grew up in Kolkata and we extensively travelled up and down WB & Bihar in our various Ambassadors (Mark II, III, IV) followed by our the high-tech Maruti 800, and finally my beloved Ambassador 1800ISZ with the lovely petrol engine. :D

Thank you very much itwasntme for your lovely recollections of the past trips. In fact, the only visuals that I had in my mind before the trip were that of the Ambassadors moving though the thick forests of the regions which we had seen in the old movies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadTiger (Post 4156183)
Thanks for the travelogue, nicely penned with serene pictures. You just gave me an opportunity to plan one for myself, post April 15 would it be a good time or it will get hotter?

Thank a lot MadTiger for your appreciation. I presume it would be hotter in mid-April although personally I have not been there in summer.

You write well. Your words have a tendency to bypass the brain and touch the heart. You can feel very delicate emotions and transfer the same to the reader. The didi/bon-ti episode, your passing reference to the naxal menace; the haunting face of the Chilkigarh palace and photos of the local market; the all pervasive yet subtle unsureness and tentativeness in your thought process - these are tiny points that go a long way in making a travelogue dear to heart. Hats off.

How well did your Estilo perform the journey? Can't seem to find your ownership report on the forum.

@gmhossain: Do you know the status of the WBFDC lodge at Duarsini?

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by dailydriver (Post 4157184)
You write well. Your words have a tendency to bypass the brain and touch the heart. You can feel very delicate emotions and transfer the same to the reader. ... Hats off.

How well did your Estilo perform the journey? Can't seem to find your ownership report on the forum.

Thank a lot dailydriver. I deeply appreciate your wonderful and insightful comments.

Our Estilo performed beautifully as it has been doing for last 6 years. It fits rather well with my sedate style of driving. Yes, you are right. I haven't written any ownership review for it yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 4158577)
@gmhossain: Do you know the status of the WBFDC lodge at Duarsini?

I believe it's still not open to accommodate guests after it was closed down in 2010. In fact, I was thinking of driving there during a day trip but we didn't have enough time.

Thanks,

Wonderful travelogue, gmhossain! Nice to see a part of our "Beautiful Bengal" through your narration. Good condition of roads and ever improving Tourism sector, indeed points to a bright future for Bengal.
And the poem at the end of your travelogue with a sweet story behind it, was an icing on the cake from the "Sweetest part of India". :)

Great Travelogue Hossain Sa'ab. Your TL takes us to the beautiful & understated parts of West Bengal. I believe the roads in most stretches were good. Will plan this trip for a weekend & ask for assistance.

Thanks for sharing

Regards,

Pawan

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearhead_mait (Post 4159169)
Wonderful travelogue, gmhossain! Nice to see a part of our "Beautiful Bengal" through your narration. Good condition of roads and ever improving Tourism sector, indeed points to a bright future for Bengal. And the poem at the end of your travelogue with a sweet story behind it, was an icing on the cake from the "Sweetest part of India". :)

Thanks Soumyajit for your sweet comments! :) I wholeheartedly agree with you that as far as tourism and roads are concerned, WB seems to be on the right track in recent past!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaBravo (Post 4159689)
Great Travelogue Hossain Sa'ab. Your TL takes us to the beautiful & understated parts of West Bengal. I believe the roads in most stretches were good. Will plan this trip for a weekend & ask for assistance.

Thank you very much Pawan for your appreciation. Sure, please feel free to ping me in case you have a query.

Best,

Great travelogue sir.
It always feels great to make road trips through the roads less used! I have been to most of the places you mentioned here barring a few. Your travelogue again irked me to visit the places i have not been to. Thanks a lot for sharing. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samba (Post 4163303)
Great travelogue sir. It always feels great to make road trips through the roads less used! I have been to most of the places you mentioned here barring a few. Your travelogue again irked me to visit the places i have not been to.

Thank you very much Samba. In fact, without reading your travelogues, many of our road trips would not have seen the light of the day. :) I hope to read your next Rajashthan trip log soon.

In the same note, let me also share two videos that I took using my aging phone cum navigator. The first one is from a stretch of State Highway 5 (SH-5) between Belpahari and Jhilimili. On the other hand, the second one is taken on a stretch of State Highway 9 (SH-9) between Chilkigarh and Parihati.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJb4vhrZ9Sk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq-G4HnUzLo

It is amazing how you manage to share such small getaways so beautifully thereby making people aware of the beauty of nature; not very far away from where we live. Wonderful accommodation facility as well. Rated it 5* for the content in the travelogue.

I have myself frequented the West Midnapore District of West Bengal continuously for over 3 years when I had one of my branch offices in Midnapore. At that time the so called "Jungle Mahal" was not the best of places to venture around (though we had to for work) considering the fact that the Maoist Issues were at it's prime and the entire area was infested with Army Camps and reaching out to the interiors were restricted by them due to safety measures. Good to see a very different picture of the place now :thumbs up

Fantastic gmhossain

I always look forward to reading your travelogues as they are so crisp and full of information and pictures. Probably I won't be able to visit all the places that you have been to,but through your wonderful writings and pictures,those places are now 'seen' by us!

Keep writing