Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2017, 02:11   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Exploring Malaprabha Valley - Badami, Aihole, Pattadakal & more

Really very nice reading it makes! Made my day. On a different note, the best reading on ancient and medieval India are perhaps the NCERT history books. In my opinion nothing beats them.

To add to history:

- Mauryas and the Guptas are very well known
- So are the Cholas in south.
- But there is a huge gap in time between all the three.
- The other prominent aspect is the Tripartite struggle for Kannauj (post Harsha) between the Pratiharas in the north, Palas in the east and Rashrakutas in the Deccan.

Amongst all this what gives away are the beauty of Chalukyas (east and west) and the Pallavas in Kanchi.

- Its the period between 600 to 1200 CE which marks all these events, where each of these dynasties had some great rulers.
- The Chalukyas and the Rashtrkutas were in a way bridge between North and South. They are the ones who seamless translated the cultures and traditions across the geography.
- I still wonder had the tripartite struggle not happened, each of these kingdoms would not have weakened on their own accord.

But to cut the long story short, each one of these dynasties have some story or the other to convey. We just need to find it.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 06:47   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
This is perhaps the most comprehensive and logically presented Badami/ Aihole/ Pattadakal guide there is on the internet.
Thanks smartcat. I had to search a lot and sift through many many posts before I could make informed decisions regarding the trip. Decided to make it simpler for others by collating all of that in one place

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Wonderful compilation there Ravinder, the pictures are just awesome . This I feel just by having a glimpse of the travelogue from start to end. Donno how would I feel after going through each and every line of it, good treat for me over the week end.
Thanks deepak. Hope you enjoyed it.

Quote:
The trio of Badami, Aihole and Pattadakal is on my wishlist since a long time. I want to see all these places at a leisurely pace and won't go for a vacation less than a week. Not sure though when that lucky week would come in my life
A week might be overkill. You should able to manage this is 4-5 days easily. 2 days for travel and 3 days to explore the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
What a wonderful and informative travelogue this was.
Thanks dhanush. Reading your NE travelogue again to digest all the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Really very nice reading it makes! Made my day. On a different note, the best reading on ancient and medieval India are perhaps the NCERT history books. In my opinion nothing beats them.
Thanks ampere. IMHO NCERT only focuses on the timelines and the high/lows of a kingdom. Politics, economics etc. are not detailed and from a basic education standpoint, I think that is OK given the breadth of learning that a school kid needs to have.

For me the lure of history has been geo-political backstory, art & architecture and in some cases, the larger than life kings/heroes who lived during a particular time. I have found that there is enough material online as long as you know how to search and e-books, which are not expensive, which provide ample material.

Quote:
- The Chalukyas and the Rashtrkutas were in a way bridge between North and South. They are the ones who seamless translated the cultures and traditions across the geography.
What is interesting to me is that not much of Rashtrakuta origin has managed to remain as on date, as compared to the chalukyas. Or maybe I have spent enough time searching for Rashtrakuta art,architecture and history

Quote:
- I still wonder had the tripartite struggle not happened, each of these kingdoms would not have weakened on their own accord.
I think they would have weakened. Greed is infallible and history of various kingdoms/civilizations only underline that point over & over again. If you dont have enemies outside, then enemies within will eat away at the core of a nation and bring about its downfall.
procrj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 08:48   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thanks ampere. IMHO NCERT only focuses on the timelines and the high/lows of a kingdom. Politics, economics etc. are not detailed and from a basic education standpoint, I think that is OK given the breadth of learning that a school kid needs to have.
Very nicely put points and I agree with them too. What I fail to realise is the fact how unsuccessful we are these days to connect to even the basic geography of the land. What we read in the first 10 years of school, is totally erased from our minds. Hence I always keep those history texts as a primer to reconnect. And when ever needed I re-read them to get the basic view back. To look at it in another way, if I can relate the travels with geography and history with a correct set of first order perspectives I would be much happier.

Quote:
For me the lure of history has been geo-political backstory, art & architecture and in some cases, the larger than life kings/heroes who lived during a particular time. I have found that there is enough material online as long as you know how to search and e-books, which are not expensive, which provide ample material.
Then come these points. We definitely have very good details online. Lifes of Pulekeshin-II ; Narsimhavarman; Bhoj; Krishna; Krishnadevaraya; Dharampal etc. These folks definitely have been larger than life and its really because of them we have these strong legacy to see and admire.

Examples being single rock cut temples by Pallavas; Big boulder based by Cholas; Intricate by Hoysalas etc.

Quote:
What is interesting to me is that not much of Rashtrakuta origin has managed to remain as on date, as compared to the chalukyas. Or maybe I have spent enough time searching for Rashtrakuta art,architecture and history
This is very true. Most of these also have a Rajput line describing them. Because again their line mostly ended up always in violent battles. Not much of a peace/tranquil was ever witnessed in their times.

Quote:
I think they would have weakened. Greed is infallible and history of various kingdoms/civilizations only underline that point over & over again. If you dont have enemies outside, then enemies within will eat away at the core of a nation and bring about its downfall.
What has to rise has to fall. But the point I was curious about was how it would have stretched the times as against the beginning of Delhi Sultanate.

Last edited by ampere : 26th February 2017 at 08:50.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 09:44   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Yet another wonderfully detailed Travelogue RJ. This one had caught my eyes on the weekend but I went through in detail only now.

And I concur with Smartcat that this one is one of the most detailed trivia about the Badami - Aihole - Pattadakal circuit.

The pictures of Banashankari temple bought me back the memories of my trip way back in 2008 and I am not sure if I skipped or missed reading it here but that is the same temple where a song sequence of Manirathnam's movie Guru was shot.

The Monkey menace at Badami is also well cautioned and we faced them during our visit too - Where I currently live, there is a constant threat from these due to a huge banyan tree next door which is their Housing complex - Umbrellas & Sticks have seldom had any affect on these and surprisingly its a bowl of water that has worked - They just vanish the moment the liquid touches their body.

Rating this thread a well deserved 5 Stars for the intricate details you have put across.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 13:31   #35
BHPian

Beautiful photos of Bhoothnath temple particularly the morning photo captures the interplay of the temple color/morning rays reflected in the lake. Outstanding
Many people visiting badami caves dont visit this beautiful lakeside temple. I am adding one more photo during my 2015 visit to this beautiful place.
Exploring Malaprabha Valley - Badami, Aihole, Pattadakal & more-badami1.jpg

Last edited by bullock-Car : 27th February 2017 at 13:33.
bullock-Car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 14:31   #36
BHPian

An excellent thread. Deserves a 5 star. Probably a Bible for the guys planning to travel to Badami and surrounding places. A big salaam to you for taking out so much time to document this travelogue this thoroughly.Hats off to your patience and dedication, Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
that is the same temple where a song sequence of Manirathnam's movie Guru was shot.
If I am not wrong, the place you are referring to, is Melkote.
autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 14:31   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What we read in the first 10 years of school, is totally erased from our minds. Hence I always keep those history texts as a primer to reconnect
I rely on a lot of blogs & wiki to refresh my memory and I agree that we forget what we learned in the first 10 years of school. I guess its got more to do with the way it was taught.

Quote:
Because again their line mostly ended up always in violent battles. Not much of a peace/tranquil was ever witnessed in their times.
even battles are remembered but I guess the later era kings & kingdoms completely overshadowed them.

Quote:
What has to rise has to fall. But the point I was curious about was how it would have stretched the times as against the beginning of Delhi Sultanate.
Good topic for an alternate history novel Having said that, I still wonder how Ghengis Khan did not enter india and plunder the riches even though he did reach the banks of Sutlej.

Quote:
Yet another wonderfully detailed Travelogue RJ. This one had caught my eyes on the weekend but I went through in detail only now.
Thanks Parag.

Quote:
I am not sure if I skipped or missed reading it here but that is the same temple where a song sequence of Manirathnam's movie Guru was shot.
Not a big bollywood fan & hence wasn't aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
Beautiful photos of Bhoothnath temple particularly the morning photo captures the interplay of the temple color/morning rays reflected in the lake. Outstanding
Thanks bullock-car. People dont visit as they usually don't have time to. Most folks cover all badami, pattadakal & aihole in 1 day and the general perceptions is that you dont need more than a day to visit them. A lot of my friend were surprised by the pics I posted from the north fort trek and they said they never knew that Badami had so much to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
An excellent thread. Deserves a 5 star. Probably a Bible for the guys planning to travel to Badami and surrounding places. A big salaam to you for taking out so much time to document this travelogue this thoroughly.Hats off to your patience and dedication, Sir!
Thanks for the kind words autospeaker. Hope it helps other plan and explore Badami.

Last edited by procrj : 27th February 2017 at 14:33.
Old 27th February 2017, 14:50   #38
BHPian

Wondeful thread, very well detailed with beautiful photos procrj.

I have been to these places few years back. But after reading your well detailed report must plan a trip again to see those places in all new perspective, with better understanding of history.
Nempuguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 17:12   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
If I am not wrong, the place you are referring to, is Melkote.
Nope. I was indeed referring to Banashankari Amma Temple, Badami.

I am no expert with movies but when I went here in 2008, A local from Shantageri village near Rona accompanied us and that was him who showed me a section of the temple and mentioned that a scene was shot here.

Quote:
Thanks Parag.

Not a big bollywood fan & hence wasn't aware.
Not me either unless someone tells me "go watch it". This triva was due to someone telling me during my visit

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th February 2017 at 17:14.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 20:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most folks cover all badami, pattadakal & aihole in 1 day and the general perceptions is that you dont need more than a day to visit them. A lot of my friend were surprised by the pics I posted from the north fort trek and they said they never knew that Badami had so much to offer.
Wonderful writeup procrj.

Illi badami kodtara? (Do they give out almonds here?) was how my daughter reacted when she heard the name Badami. That was three years ago. We went there as part of a KSTDC package tour. Needless to say, the tour manager took pride in being able to cover maximum number of places in the minimum possible time.

The highlights of the trip were the Nataraja carving in Badami and the mouth watering Rotti-palya-curds near the Banashankari temple.

Aihole and Pattadakal also offer history-rich experiences. ASI has done well to preserve these places in good nick. We had a very eloquent and knowledgeable guide in Pattadakal. The visit was made all the more special because of him.

PS: In Badami, we too witnessed a monkey snatch a lady's purse and scatter currency notes all around.

I am a huge fan of your travelogues. Most places you visit in Karnataka are ones that I have already been to previously. But the way you present their story compels me to see them in a new light. I have started revisiting them whenever possible.

Quote:
Nope. I was indeed referring to Banashankari Amma Temple, Badami.
@Paragbhai and autospeaker, both of you are correct. The song Barso re was shot in Melukote. Ek lo ek muft and certain other scenes of GURU were shot in Badami. Badami is a popular choice for film shooting.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 08:37   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempuguru View Post
Wondeful thread, very well detailed with beautiful photos procrj.
Thanks Nempuguru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Wonderful writeup procrj.
Thanks dailydriver

Quote:
Rotti-palya-curds near the Banashankari temple.
Did not know this. Do you know of a specific shop/eatery where this is available? Would like to try it the next time.

Quote:
We had a very eloquent and knowledgeable guide in Pattadakal. The visit was made all the more special because of him.
I think most guides in Pattadakal are ASI approved and hence should be able to talk about a lot of the history & temples. Pattadakal also has a small ASI office where they have documentaries available, which you can view for free. I did not have the time to go listen/see the same.

Quote:
I am a huge fan of your travelogues. Most places you visit in Karnataka are ones that I have already been to previously. But the way you present their story compels me to see them in a new light. I have started revisiting them whenever possible.
Good to know that I can add a different dimension to know places
Old 28th February 2017, 14:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did not know this. Do you know of a specific shop/eatery where this is available? Would like to try it the next time.
The best ones are available with the old women who carry the eatables in kukke, i.e bamboo baskets and steel basins and sit near the stone mantapas and parking lot of the Banashankari temple. Of course not everyone would be comfortable buying food from those village folks. But in my experience, they taste the best and are second to none in terms of hygiene.

Also worth tasting is the curds and sugar combination sold in small earthen pots near the Mahakoota temples. Once again, that too may not be everyone's cup of tea because the curds are made from buffalo milk.

Banashankari temple https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bana...ri_Amma_Temple is a much revered place of worship, specially for women. The temple left a deep impression on me because it is one of the few places that allow devotees into the sanctum sanctorium itself. The surroundings are not too spick and span owing to the regular inflow of people. Swachh Bharat is yet to make it's mark there.

Quote:
Good to know that I can add a different dimension to know places
Your thread on hoysala temples did that to me. Hittala gida maddalla (Can't translate the proverb into English. The best I can do is use the Hindi equivalent-Ghar ki murgi dhaal barabar ) was very much true in my case.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:06   #43
BHPian

Wow!, what a wonderful and detailed thread on the history and the architecture of Badami and its surrounds.

Its truly amazing that these structures have lasted centuries and gives us an idea into the skills and artistic capabilities of our ancestors. We have plenty such marvels in India. I wish that more people of this and the next generation are educated on our rich history and cultural heritage.

Thanks a lot for sharing the amazing pictures of the temples with facts and information about them. Five stars all the way.
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 15:52   #44
BHPian

Wow!!! Very well put together write up. Beautiful photos and history put together Time to fire up the engines
DieselDestiny is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks