Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2006, 19:47   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz
When do i ever get to doing something like this?? Sigh!!
How about next year ???
Old 31st October 2006, 21:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Now I'm giving this serious thought! Sideways, what sort of a budget does one look at to participate in the Raid? Ballpark figure? What's the biggest cost component, extra spares?
Old 31st October 2006, 22:39   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways
Also I remember Ajay's report where he mentioned his average speed to be 18 Km/hr. We had to do 36 to 38 Km/hr on the same roads !!!!
Yeah, we didn't have any 50000/- cheque waiting for us. So why should we?
Old 1st November 2006, 03:07   #34
BHPian

Ok for those crazy enough to even consider it heres a break up of what it costs: - (Approximtely)
  • Entry Fee - 25,000 for a team of two, double for 3 or more. Max 4 to a car / Suv.
  • Airtickets - To Delhi and Back Approx 7 to 8000 per person (from Chennai), if booked well in advance.
  • Fuel - Calculate for 3000 km, assuming you are driving from Delhi. If your cars giving you 10 km / litre, base your requirement on 5Km/litre. My fuel worked to 20,000 for this years raid.
  • Transportation of vehicle to Delhi - I needed to do this cause I am about 2500 kms from Delhi. people closer to Delhi prefer to drive. the choice is yours. transportation for us worked out to 35,000 to and fro.
  • Car preparation - Theres not much you can do in the reliability category. This year however they did allow aftermarket shock absorbers. Tyre and rim sizes are free. Don't be stupid and come with low profile tyres for Gods sake. I suggest brandnew tyres, you will need all the grip you can get. Also suggest underbody protection. On board non gps navigational equipment is allowed but will set you back by 50K. It's not mandatory and again is to your discretion. Also remeber to set aside a budget for repairs after you are back. My jeep is 3 years and had done 55,000Km beofre we went for the rally and therefore we changed most of the suspension components. Shocks were OE and what came on the car. I will be changing them now however. Folks driving Maruti's dont have to worry about carrying parts. Most will be available enroute or provided by the organisers service backup. You will however have to pay for them, so carry the dosh.
  • There are other small expenses like MAI licence fee, Expenditure on mandatory medicines that you need to carry, expenses for rations you need to carry, money you will spend on food during the rally, etc etc. Say about 15K on Miscellaneous expenses.

You are looking at anywhere between 1.5 and 2 lakhs. But guys up north have the advantage of being close to the venue and you automatically save 35 K.

And by rations, I dont mean your carry a bori of chaawal etc. etc. Lots of chocolates and biscuits will make up the bulk of your rations. On somedays this will be the only breakfast and lunch you will have and therefore forms an essential part of the kit.

You will also need some heavy duty warm clothing. Sleeping bags are mandatory and part of the compulsory requirements. Jackets, sweaters , thermals, monley caps, gloves etc etc. highly recomended.

And I forgot to add, snow chains are compulsory. A set will set you back by 3000 to 4500 depending on the size of tyre you are running. The organisers will have them made for you.

Last edited by Sideways : 1st November 2006 at 03:14.
Old 1st November 2006, 09:25   #35
BHPian

wonderful writeup & good inside knowledge for some of us nuts who will start rallying someday
Old 1st November 2006, 10:22   #36
BHPian

Me and one of my collegue cum friend are giving a serious thought for participating next year.

Farhaan, any idea of getting sponsorship for this kinda trip, including the cost of the car, say a Gypsy / Mahindra?
Old 1st November 2006, 12:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noviceDriver
Farhaan, any idea of getting sponsorship for this kinda trip, including the cost of the car, say a Gypsy / Mahindra?
I tried to gt sponsorship for 3 months before we left for the rally. But no luck. Everyone wants to put their money into cricket.
Old 1st November 2006, 12:46   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I tried to gt sponsorship for 3 months before we left for the rally. But no luck.
Hmmm, situation seems to be grim on the cricket front after India's Champions trophy showing . Let me try now to gauge the mindset of corporates now, wish me luck!
Old 1st November 2006, 19:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried to gt sponsorship for 3 months before we left for the rally. But no luck. Everyone wants to put their money into cricket.
Everyone sponser would want guaranteed results before they invest in sports. When it comes to motorsports, the chances are even more bleak. Even our big boys, Narain, Armaan and Karun are gasping for breath without adequate money. Agreed they are all good at their work, but they need money to compete each time.

But you have proven your skill, Farhaan. I just hope next year, sponsers will gate crash you with offers and make Chennai proud.
Old 1st November 2006, 22:30   #40
Senior - BHPian

Caught up with this thread now. WOW! an incredible report of the raid. Congratulations once again Sideways. Driving from Leh to Manali (as tourists) was exhausting so I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this would have been. Hats off to you and your team.
Old 2nd November 2006, 00:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
Caught up with this thread now. WOW! an incredible report of the raid. Congratulations once again Sideways. Driving from Leh to Manali (as tourists) was exhausting so I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this would have been. Hats off to you and your team.
To make things worse, none of it is on the highways.
Old 3rd November 2006, 12:45   #42
BHPian

hi sideways or Farhan as we know you

well i chanced upon your name while surfing the net. Firstly, congrats for the win. Amazing achievement. Remember me!! the tiny black Wagon R (Competitor # 50) on the raid this year. I see you have mentioned in your raid report about the car which came last. well i have no shame in admitting it was ours. but do tell the complete story man that it was a true road car with no underbody protection, no extra spares, nothing.... but we finished it somehow..... but it was a pleasure meeting you guys.... hope to see you there again but this time you can bet i would be in a different and a better prepared car.........
Old 3rd November 2006, 14:12   #43
Joz
BHPian

Sideways... next year would be great to do. But 2 lakhs was a big OUCH! But still worth it. Anybody wanting to form a team. Let's start saving today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777
......... the tiny black Wagon R (Competitor # 50) on the raid this year.......... it was a true road car with no underbody protection, no extra spares, nothing.... but we finished it somehow.....
Congrats mate!!! Do give us a complete account... on how it was to tackle all that torture on a bone stock Wagon R. It would be really interesting to know.
Old 3rd November 2006, 15:14   #44
BHPian

Hi Nitin, It's great to hear from you. I hope you and Sakshi are doing well. For everyones information, Nitin and Sakshi were part of the raid, driving a complete stock road car with absolutely no protection or any spare parts as backup. What surprised everyone is that the couple were newly weds and on thier honeymoon and the raid was part of their honey moon as well. I have mentioned in my report that completing the raid is an acheivement in itself and hats off to these two for participating and finishing.

Nitin - Thanx again for the tip (coming down Lukung). Take care and keep in touch.
Old 3rd November 2006, 16:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

Wow, a raid-de-himalaya for a honeymoon jaunt. That's pretty cool and novel.

BTW, while reading sideways' report, I was wondering if it would be a foolish idea to compete with a stock car without any spares, just relying on the reliability of your car. Looks like someone did and came out unscarred. Hmmm..

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd November 2006 at 16:23.

Most Viewed